Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > THE BUTCHFEMMEPLANET PLANET > Canada Forums

Old 01-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #181
foxyshaman

How Do You Identify?:
spiritually minded dirt dog

Thanked 2,593 Times in 663 Posts
foxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Tick View Post
In conclusion I must say that although obtaining an abortion in Canada is not a crime, depending on where you live it might just feel like one.
Miss Tick, thank you for sharing your knowledge. I was aware of some of the information you provided, but not the extreme difficulties that some Canadian women face.

Again... thanks.

Muriel Strode
foxyshaman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to foxyshaman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #182
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,742 Times in 2,566 Posts
betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation
Default NDP Leadership Race Q&A

I attended an NDP Leadership Race Q&A/Luncheon/Fundraiser today in my town. Unfortunately the only hopefuls able to make it were Peggy Nash and Romeo Saganash.

Those two are my favourites, however, so I was pretty satisfied.

(I sat at Ms Nash's table!)

I'm really very torn between the two of them, and not sure how I'll vote (if you're an NDP supporter but not yet a member I encourage you to join the party so that YOU can vote too!)
Old 01-14-2012, 11:57 PM   #183
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation

Peggy Nash's Queer Politics

(Blog Post) Romeo Saganash and the White Left

Romeo Saganash on how to beat Stephen Harper
Old 01-26-2012, 01:22 AM   #184
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

I know this is very old and no longer breaking news. But I was reminded of it today and I wanted to share.

It was just so freaking funny! We need more of these sort of shenanigans, please.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:53 AM   #185
tapu

How Do You Identify?:
Understated butch.
Preferred Pronoun?:
I
Relationship Status:
Party of One

Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,103 Posts
tapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputation

Canada beware. The tapu is in-country this weekend.

My parole officer has been informed and the City of Montreal has been put on alert. The inconvenience caused to those of you who live there should be short: I am but passing through on my way to Ontario.

Also, for the citizens of New Hampshire and Vermont, I am allowed inside state lines, to pass through for my journey, but can make no stops except for gas adjacent to US routes.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #186
Softhearted

How Do You Identify?:
---
Preferred Pronoun?:
----
Relationship Status:
---

Softhearted Has the BEST ReputationSofthearted Has the BEST ReputationSofthearted Has the BEST ReputationSofthearted Has the BEST ReputationSofthearted Has the BEST ReputationSofthearted Has the BEST ReputationSofthearted Has the BEST ReputationSofthearted Has the BEST ReputationSofthearted Has the BEST ReputationSofthearted Has the BEST ReputationSofthearted Has the BEST Reputation

"Shafia jury finds all guilty of 1st-degree murder
Verdict sends message, prosecutor says"

By Melinda Dalton, CBC News Posted: Jan 29, 2012 8:48 AM ET

Source:http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...ia-sunday.html
Softhearted is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Softhearted For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2012, 06:16 AM   #187
Truly Scrumptious

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
She's my mirror twin, my next of kin

2 Highscores

Thanked 1,855 Times in 564 Posts
Truly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST Reputation
Default Demand answers and real consequences for robocall election fraud

Leadnow.ca is attempting to force by-elections in enough ridings to challenge the Conservative's majority government. Please sign and share!

524. (1) Any elector who was eligible to vote in an electoral district, and any candidate in an electoral district, may, by application to a competent court, contest the election in that electoral district on the grounds that
(a) under section 65 the elected candidate was not eligible to be a candidate; or
(b) there were irregularities, fraud or corrupt or illegal practices that affected the result of the election.

http://www.leadnow.ca/robocall-fraud
Truly Scrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Truly Scrumptious For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #188
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Thanked 10,618 Times in 2,489 Posts
Cin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST Reputation

Ottawa’s Focus on Alberta Oilsands is Killing Manufacturing Jobs in Eastern Canada, Economists Say
by Antonia Zerbisias

You know that old saying, “When the U.S. sneezes, Canada catches a cold.”

It still applies. The United States remains our biggest trading partner. What happens there affects everything from our tourism to our exports.

But now, Canada is facing a bigger threat to its economic health.

It’s called Dutch Disease — and it’s complicated by Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s newly acquired China Syndrome. Stung by U.S. President Barack Obama’s rejection of the Keystone XL pipeline, Harper is looking to China’s government-owned oil companies.

Dutch Disease isn’t about tulips or wooden shoes or even sick elm trees. It’s about Canada’s steady conversion to a petro-state, fueled by the rapid development of Alberta’s oilsands. It means that, more and more, Canada’s economy will be subject to the price of oil.

Coined by The Economist in 1977, “Dutch Disease” describes what happened to the Netherlands after natural gas fields were discovered off its shores. The little country became so economically entangled with its resource industry, its manufacturing sector tanked.

“Ontario is probably the province that has suffered the most from this,” says University of Ottawa economist Serge Coulombe, co-author of a massive study on the impact of Dutch Disease on Canadian jobs, published last fall.

“The biggest losers are typically the white males who had all those great jobs in manufacturing, much like in the U.S.,” he says, adding that Canadian salaries and environmental standards make our manufactured exports less attractive, especially as our dollar strengthens. “If we want to compete with China we have to be very, very smart. It is very, very difficult.”

In his report, Coulombe and his co-researchers determined that our petro-currency was responsible for 42 per cent of job losses between 2002 and 2007. That translates to at least 140,000 manufacturing jobs gone as a direct result of the oilsands development.

It didn’t get any better after that. Our manufactured exports dropped another 12.6 per cent between the second quarter of 2007 and the first quarter of 2011.

If Dutch Disease is allowed to spread, Coulombe and other economists warn, Canada’s ailing manufacturing sector will face still more job losses, while consumers, farmers and non-oil producing industries will feel increasing pain through inflation and gas prices at the pump.

It all started when the price of oil started rising in 2002, tripling through the decade.

The long-unprofitable oilsands, which require the expensive and water-intense extraction of tarry bitumen, suddenly became economically feasible. That increased oilsands development boosted crude exports. By 2006, oil became our biggest export, displacing autos and auto parts. The loonie surged against the weakening U.S. dollar. That made our manufactured exports — long dependent on a low Canadian dollar — more expensive. And that cost factory workers jobs.

Over the past year, alarm bells have been sounding.

Last April, Montreal-based MRP Partners (Macro Research Board), an independent global investment research firm, warned of the “petrolization” of Canada.

“Canada has often been referred to in jest as the 51st state, due to its historical reliance on the U.S. as a key export market,” wrote MRB partner Phillip Colmar. “However, it is becoming more accurate to regard Canada as another Province of China.”

“You have 1.3 billion people right now that are growing at an unprecedented rate,” explains Coulombe. “That creates a huge demand for natural resources.”

And Harper is eager to meet that demand, saying it is “increasingly clear that it is in Canada’s national interest to diversify our energy markets.”

Over the past two years, China has invested some $15 billion in Alberta’s oilsands. It wants the bitumen moved via the Enbridge Northern Gateway Pipeline to the B.C. coast, where it will be loaded into tankers.

That crude, rated the dirtiest on earth, will travel through our most environmentally sensitive areas, critics charge.

Earlier this month, economist Robyn Allan submitted a 74-page analysis of the Northern Gateway proposal to the National Energy Board Joint Review Panel considering the project.

Allan, a former Insurance Corporation of British Columbia CEO, makes a case that, if the project is approved, the Canadian economy will be hit by “an inflationary oil price shock” — as well as interprovincial conflicts.

“Right now 95 per cent of the oil is in Alberta but 75 per cent of the manufacturing jobs are in Ontario and Quebec,” she says. “If you have a policy that deliberately supports Alberta at the expense of Eastern Canada, then you’re stretching the national fabric.

“The jobs are not there, the benefits to Canada are not there,” she maintains. “We are going to experience even more upward pressure on the Canadian dollar; we are going to have even more intense division between Eastern and Western Canada.”

Yet another study published last fall, this time by Montreal’s Institute for Research on Public Policy, emphasized that “resource booms don’t last forever” and that Canada should maintain a competitive manufacturing industry.

Economists suggest there are ways to cure Dutch Disease, or at least lessen its impact.

Canada could invest in other industries, including green technologies. Or it could go the foreign currency route, by investing abroad. That’s what Norway does with its oil wealth. By creating a petroleum fund with foreign currency, it also pays down its debt, which reduces the upward pressure on the krone and protects the country’s exports.

But, as Coulombe says, “We cannot do that in Canada because we have a sophisticated and complicated federal and provincial system and it is the provinces that own the natural resources.”

Alberta doesn’t seem particularly disposed to help Eastern Canada, which, ironically, imports most of its oil from the Middle East, Mexico and Norway.

“When the federal government talks about diversifying our markets, we shouldn’t be looking to northeast Asia, we should be looking to Canada,” says Allan. “We hear we have to diversify to Asia because Asia needs to protect its source of supply so it’s not dependent on Saudi Arabia. But Canada also has a dependency on Middle Eastern countries.

“So why are our federal leaders so concerned about everybody else’s oil security and not Canada’s? We should be looking at what we can do to help Eastern Canada avoid the unpredictable and volatile (prices) and perhaps supply restrictions that are going to happen in the years to come.”

Coulombe fears that little or nothing can or will be done to protect Canadian consumers and manufacturers from the effects of Dutch Disease.

“I don’t think the manufacturing sector will come back; I think we have to accept that,” says Coulombe. “The growth of China is like a big train. Canada will be more and more a country that will live on its natural resources.”

There’s another old Canadian expression, attributed to the late University of Toronto economist Harold Innis. He compared Canadians to “hewers of wood and drawers of water” because we were dependent for so long on exporting our raw materials to buy back value-added manufactured goods.

Today, we are selling our oil to buy back gasoline, jet fuel, asphalt, plastic and other petroleum-based products.

That would make us “deliverers of crude and drawers of water.”
Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #189
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Cin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST Reputation
Default BUMP

If you haven't signed this petition yet just click on the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Scrumptious View Post
Leadnow.ca is attempting to force by-elections in enough ridings to challenge the Conservative's majority government. Please sign and share!

524. (1) Any elector who was eligible to vote in an electoral district, and any candidate in an electoral district, may, by application to a competent court, contest the election in that electoral district on the grounds that
(a) under section 65 the elected candidate was not eligible to be a candidate; or
(b) there were irregularities, fraud or corrupt or illegal practices that affected the result of the election.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:10 PM   #190
Truly Scrumptious

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
She's my mirror twin, my next of kin

2 Highscores

Thanked 1,855 Times in 564 Posts
Truly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST Reputation
Default Rallies all across the country this Sunday!

From DemocracyCanada:

We call on all Canadians to join in a PROTEST on Sunday, March 11, 1:00 - 4:00pm in every city across Canada. TIMES VARY BY CITY. PLEASE see list below.

We the people of Canada demand a FULL PUBLIC INQUIRY INTO ALL CALLING PRACTICES AND BY-ELECTIONS IN ALL AFFECTED RIDINGS!
Get Fraud out of Parliament NOW!
Events Date/Timess by CITY:

BRAMPTON: http://www.facebook.com/events/247656928655120/

CALGARY: http://www.facebook.com/events/279165258822521

CHARLOTTETOWN:

EDMONTON: http://www.facebook.com/events/400985336582256/

FORT ST JOHN, BC: Sunday March 11, 1-4pm @ Centennial Park. Link coming...

FREDERICTON:

GUELPH: Rally in Guelph on Sunday March 11 at 2 p.m. from St George's Square to City Hall ... link coming....

HALIFAX: https://www.facebook.com/events/404227776260456/

KINGSTON: http://www.facebook.com/events/197347437036133/

KITCHENER-WATERLOO:

KELOWNA: March 11, 1:00pm - 4:00pm, at the Sails - link to come!

KAMLOOPS: https://www.facebook.com/events/361277043892850/

LETHBRIDGE: Saturday, March 10, more detail coming...

LONDON, ON.: http://www.facebook.com/events/334163146634012/

MONTREAL: http://www.facebook.com/events/331388483564902/

NANAIMO: http://www.facebook.com/events/401321439884776/

NELSON,BC: http://www.facebook.com/events/199143646854401/

NORTH BAY,ON: http://www.facebook.com/events/201208559978692/

OTTAWA: http://www.facebook.com/events/339230162786113/

PETERBOROUGH: http://www.facebook.com/events/168997493216709/

REGINA: http://www.facebook.com/events/384485521579099/

ST. JOHN'S: http://www.facebook.com/events/385763404786355/

SASKATOON: http://www.facebook.com/events/188334024608977/

THUNDER BAY:

TORONTO: http://www.facebook.com/events/161404757312027/

VANCOUVER: http://www.facebook.com/events/345013878875538/

VICTORIA: http://www.facebook.com/events/183919385055445/

WINDSOR: http://www.facebook.com/events/253368638081506/

WINNIPEG: http://www.facebook.com/events/336790496356157/

YELLOWKNIFE: http://www.facebook.com/events/364168013615697/

http://www.facebook.com/events/181631648613672/
Truly Scrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Truly Scrumptious For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2012, 09:22 AM   #191
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,119 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation

Foreign Affairs Issues Advisory for Travellers to Russia

http://www.voyage.gc.ca/countries_pa....asp?id=249000

Homosexuality is legal, though some still strongly disapprove of it. Canadians are advised to avoid displaying affection in public, as homosexuals can be targets of violence. A law prohibiting public actions propagandizing homosexuality, lesbianism, bisexuality and transsexuality among minors, and prohibiting public actions propagandizing pedophilia, came into effect in St. Petersburg on March 17th, 2012. Public actions (including dissemination of information, statements, displays or conspicuous behaviour) contradicting or appearing to contradict this law may lead to arrest, prosecution and the imposition of a fine. Similar laws are also in effect in Ryazan, Arkhangelsk and Kostroma.
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #192
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,119 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation
Smile it'll make you smile

She’s a Sens fan, her girlfriend’s a Leafs fan and their marriage proposal during NHL game was adorable (VIDEO)
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2012, 10:49 PM   #193
foxyshaman

How Do You Identify?:

foxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputation

You were right, it did make me smile!!!

Muriel Strode
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foxyshaman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #194
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

NDP holds on to Toronto-Danforth / Gay lawyer Craig Scott to be part of the largest queer caucus in Canadian history
Old 03-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #195
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Scrumptious View Post

Does this mean I will get back my right to vote since Elections Canada has deemed that I no longer have a right to vote (even if the Canadian Constitution declares that I do)?

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #196
foxyshaman

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Does this mean I will get back my right to vote since Elections Canada has deemed that I no longer have a right to vote (even if the Canadian Constitution declares that I do)?
Why do you no longer have the right to vote?

Muriel Strode
Old 03-20-2012, 01:55 PM   #197
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
What does your right to vote, although you should of course have it, have to do with the robocall fraud?
Old 03-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #198
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,957 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation
Default Maybe off topic but a good piece of info

More than 130 beef products recalled 3

BY SHEENA GOODYEAR ,QMI AGENCY
FIRST POSTED: TUESDAY, MARCH 20, 2012 09:21 AM EDT | UPDATED: TUESDAY, MARCH 20, 2012 03:03 PM EDT

2.27 kg package of No Name club pack beef steakettes. (CFIA/HO)

Change text size for the storyPrint this story
Report an error
Related Stories
CFIA adds more beef products to recall list
E. coli fears prompt expanded recall of burgers
Recalled burgers may contain E. coli
Canada isn't doing enough to protect consumers from tainted food, says a prominent food safety expert on the heels of a major frozen beef recall.

"If the public thinks food inspections by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency are going to protect Canadians from contaminated food, think again. It's just not that way," said Richard Holley from the University of Manitoba.

Just as spring begins and Canadians start dusting off their barbecues, more than 135 kinds of frozen beef have been recalled in Canada because of E. coli fears. On Monday night, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency updated its list of beef recalls for the fifth time this month, following four updates in February.

These massive recalls — which include popular brands like President's Choice and Best Value — are possible, in part, because so much food in Canada comes from just a handful of companies, Holley said. The recalled beef, sold across Canada under a number of brands, all comes from the same food facility, Establishment 761 in Saskatoon.

"The businesses are getting larger and larger and they have a clientele that, in some instances, stretches right straight across the country," Holley said. "But when you have the capacity to have an extended shelf life of a product by freezing them, this sort of increases the scope of the recall."

Garfield Balsom, a food-recall specialist with the CFIA, said authorities decided to pull all products from Establishment 761 made between July 1, 2011, and Feb. 15, 2012, after one person reported getting sick.

"This is a lot of frozen beef that was manufactured way back in July 2011. Now something's wrong there. E. coli analysis takes, max, 10 days," Holley said.

Balsom said CFIA is trying to get to the root of the problem, but investigations of this scale are complex, and finding the cause of a contamination can be "extremely difficult."

Holley said CFIA only discovers the cause of outbreaks about 50% of the time.

He said in order to protect people from food-borne illness, Canada needs to focus more on prevention rather than relying on after-the-fact testing to catch outbreaks. Canada also needs to keep better data, he said.

"There are things in the system in need of repair and things we don't know and we have the will in Canada to address this. We don't know how many people die in Canada from eating tainted food. Nobody is charged with the responsibility of keeping that data."

The food industry isn't much safer now than it was during the 2008 listeria outbreak that killed 23 people, Holley said.

"There's too many holes in the system to have the assurance that this is not going to happen again," he said.

The full recall list, which can be found on the CFIA website, includes Best Value, President's Choice, Calgary Stampede, Country Morning Gold, No Name, Grillhouse, Heritage Angus Beef, Irresistibles, Keg, Maple Lodge Farms, Overwaitea, Our Finest, Q Burger, Prairie Heritage Producers, Simply Food, Sunspun, Spring Creek, Webers, Western Family and Zabiha Halal.

Food contaminated with E. coli might not look or smell spoiled, but it can cause severe abdominal pain and bloody diarrhea in healthy people. But for some people — especially children, the elderly and people with weakened immune systems — the effects can be serious and even fatal.

"Some people may have seizures or strokes and some may need blood transfusions and kidney dialysis. Others may live with permanent kidney damage. In severe cases of illness, people may die," the CFIA said.
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2012, 02:36 PM   #199
foxyshaman

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun_dee View Post
More than 130 beef products recalled 3...

This would not be such an issue if we still maintained local butchers and local abattoirs. The fact that thousands of animals go through establishment 761 in Saskatoon is, in large part, the problem. I am not sure how beef products, produced in such horrific conditions, (sanitary and humane conditions) could be safe. If one MUST eat meat, then one should go to the local farmer's market. I buy my kids their meat from a local farmer who takes it to his local butcher... the meat is better. And more importantly... safe. Oh and it tastes wwwaaayyyy better. I can't even imagine how many individual animals make one pkg of ground beef.

Thank you for posting that Cajun_dee. I don't eat meat, so I had NO IDEA this was going on today. <shudder>

Muriel Strode
Old 03-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #200
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,957 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshaman View Post
This would not be such an issue if we still maintained local butchers and local abattoirs. The fact that thousands of animals go through establishment 761 in Saskatoon is, in large part, the problem. I am not sure how beef products, produced in such horrific conditions, (sanitary and humane conditions) could be safe. If one MUST eat meat, then one should go to the local farmer's market. I buy my kids their meat from a local farmer who takes it to his local butcher... the meat is better. And more importantly... safe. Oh and it tastes wwwaaayyyy better. I can't even imagine how many individual animals make one pkg of ground beef.

Thank you for posting that Cajun_dee. I don't eat meat, so I had NO IDEA this was going on today. <shudder>
THIS is why i stopped eating meat years ago. my family was in the cattle industry, i know what it is supposed to be like, and this is not it.

dee
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada