Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, etc
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 13,026 Times in 4,786 Posts
Leigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST Reputation

Morning everyone,

Well, I wanted to keep you all updated as it pertains to the whole "coming out to My parents" thing that happened this weekend. I had spent pretty much all day on Saturday writing My parents that letter, and left it with them in the evening before I went to spend the night with a friend. I came home last night (sunday evening) and found that My mom barely spoke to Me, and My dad said a couple of sentences to Me but nothing more. I'm sure they are just not sure how to take the news, but I just wish they would have said something. I also told one cousin (who is extremely supportive), as well as one good friend who says she doesn't care about My sexuality or what I do with My life as long as I am happy.

I have gotten through that first hurdle of coming out, now its just to eventually break the news to other friends and family. One step at a time though, talking to My parents first will be the key ........... anyways, just wanted to keep everyone upto date on things
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Leigh For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2010, 03:53 AM   #22
Kevin

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
single

Kevin will become famous soon enoughKevin will become famous soon enough

Hey Braedon,
i wish you well with your folks. The fact that they didn't freak out at you already is probably a good sign. Keep breathing and being true to yourself, ultimately that's all we have...

I came out to my family 11 years ago. I was prepared to risk everyone and everything to be me, I had to, I had reached the end of my own denial rope...couldn't pretend one more second.

The dust has settled, my dad and step-mom still screw up the pronouns. The other side of my family is pretty disjointed, and we haven't had much real contact, but actually, I think it's that they are knees deep into their own lives.

Best to you,
Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2010, 11:30 PM   #23
Leigh
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, etc
Relationship Status:
Single

Leigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST Reputation

**bump**

Hi guys,

Well I originally started this thread because I was preparing to come out to My parents, and have of course done so. I have gotten through My gallbladder surgery, and as of yesterday its been a month since I had it (can't believe its been that long). I only have a couple weeks before I should be healed enough to resume My normal activities and that is going to include getting back in touch with the doctor who is going to help Me in My transition. I'm getting so close to being able to starting on T, and its exciting to be able to know that soon I'll be on My way to becoming the man that I know I am.

One of the next parts to My journey is going to be coming out to My family and friends, which is a hell of alot scarier than coming out to My parents (and that was scary enough). I'm not sure what to do, what to say, how to word how I feel etc so I'm coming to My fellow trans brothers to ask you for help. I know that everyone comes out to their families different but I wanna know ~ how did you come out to your families? Did you tell them outright or was it written in a letter? I guess I just wanna know everyone's experiences in regards to coming out to family and friends ~ any and all responses are greatly appreciated
The Following User Says Thank You to Leigh For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2010, 12:49 AM   #24
The Oopster

How Do You Identify?:
transgender male
Preferred Pronoun?:
he

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,655 Times in 759 Posts
The Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braedon View Post
**bump**

Hi guys,

Well I originally started this thread because I was preparing to come out to My parents, and have of course done so. I have gotten through My gallbladder surgery, and as of yesterday its been a month since I had it (can't believe its been that long). I only have a couple weeks before I should be healed enough to resume My normal activities and that is going to include getting back in touch with the doctor who is going to help Me in My transition. I'm getting so close to being able to starting on T, and its exciting to be able to know that soon I'll be on My way to becoming the man that I know I am.

One of the next parts to My journey is going to be coming out to My family and friends, which is a hell of alot scarier than coming out to My parents (and that was scary enough). I'm not sure what to do, what to say, how to word how I feel etc so I'm coming to My fellow trans brothers to ask you for help. I know that everyone comes out to their families different but I wanna know ~ how did you come out to your families? Did you tell them outright or was it written in a letter? I guess I just wanna know everyone's experiences in regards to coming out to family and friends ~ any and all responses are greatly appreciated
What do you mean by family? and how close are you to them? My immediate family is small. I came out in a letter to my parents and brother at the same time. My parents have been fairly accepting, my brother not at all. As far as uncles, cousins, etc. I really don't have contact with them so no need to come out. I do want to try to reconnect with one aunt and uncle and I figure I'll probably do most of that by email and when it feels appropriate bring it up. My parents gave me their phone number and I feel weird calling until I've had some dialogue. I know they'll be accepting but it just would be weird to call them up with a male voice when they have no clue.

My nephews I will send them a short note and birthday/graduation/etc money once they are both out of the house. Won't really go into much but just say that now that they are on their own if they want to resume a relationship I am here. If they aren't ready at the time that the door is always open and I'm always here for them.

Friends weren't that hard .. most of them sort of figured it out ... acquaintences are the toughtest .... the most stubborn at changing stuff also. I usually try to weigh what relationships are worth pushing the issue and which aren't. I have a huge support group where I just don't want to explain it to everyone. Most people have caught on. There are a few that are getting to a point that I may need to talk to them only cause they confuse other people that may not know and may sometime be in a situation where it could put me in an unsafe situation.
The Oopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:14 PM   #25
ButchEire
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanent ban 3/17/2013 - TROLL
Relationship Status:
Partner to my best friend

Thanked 1,874 Times in 485 Posts
ButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST Reputation

Good luck on your journey, it sounds like a difficult process. I too, am in the midst of transition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
This weekend I am embarking on probably the most scary part of My journey so far, and that is to come out to My parents as being transgender. I wrote My mom a fairly long letter this morning, coming out to her first before My dad because I know that she will love and support Me no matter what ........... however, I'm still prety scared about what their reaction is going to be. Its a pretty big subject to have to talk to them about, telling them both that instead of having to daughters that they actually have one daughter and one son.

I think My biggest overall concern is My 12 yr old sister, cheyenne, who is autistic. She only knows Me as her sister and she doesn't understand alot of things around her, as well as knowing that she doesn't respond well to change has Me concerned. Despite that, I am moving ahead with My plans to come out and then to transition .......... I already know that I wll be changing My name legally, take T (hopefully via injections) and then once I can afford it go for top surgery. I've explained all of this to My mom in her letter and will be sending it to her email tonight, so I'm nervous and scared but excited at the same time.

I guess My reason for staring this thread is to ask other FTM's (as well as My MTF sisters) about their coming out stories. How did each of you first come out? Who was it that you came out to? How did you find people reacted to the news? I'd love to hear about other's coming out stories, partly to get an idea of how people might react when I come out, but also mostly just to know that I am not alone in this first part of My journey.

I very much look forward to reading everyone's story
ButchEire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #26
Leigh
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, etc
Relationship Status:
Single

These posts of mine were from a very long time ago and as you can see now by my name I am no longer in transition but I wish you much luck on your own journey

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leigh For This Useful Post: