Old 03-27-2010, 05:51 PM   #21
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,763 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

There is a language and cultural barrier with one of my bosses. He's only been in the US about 2 years and was regarded very highly in his home country. Coming here has changed everything for him. He's not the type to say something intentionally offensive, but he has...on many, many occasions...said something that would just not fly...under anyone's radar. So, the FD Manager and I try to explain why saying X means this but saying X+Y means a lawsuit. He's gotten better and has picked up enough to know better now, thankfully. I felt like we were in charge of a precocious 2 year old for a while there.

I'd ask myself what I thought her intention was and act accordingly. If the comments were made out of ignorance, that's one thing. If they were made because she's ignant (knows better but says/does it anyway), that's something completely different.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2010, 07:45 PM   #22
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

HSIN,

Unbelieveable, but I went thru the same shit. Document everything. And I mean every single thing. It is the golden rule.

It is considered harassment if your boss continues the language and inappropriate behavior. However, someone needs to clue your boss in before a lawsuit takes place. And what about a diversity training?

Good luck! I hope that you have an easy road ahead of you.
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post: