Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Religion, Spirituality, Mysticism

Old 11-12-2009, 09:57 PM   #1
Rook

How Do You Identify?:
A.G - Stone Butch - GenderFuck
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hym, Hyz...or, just b respectable, it's not that hard..

Thanked 3,183 Times in 1,287 Posts
Rook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST Reputation
Cool Islamic Dawah..

As-Salamu Aleikum..
Hopefully I can post this here...
I know there's Muslims within the butch-femme community, so, I suppose I can get the ball rolling...
I hope that in creating this thread, Myths can be dispelled, Decent, civil, Non-judgemental discussions, inquiries can be had and/or asked..
Up until the age of 17, I studied Shari'a / Fiqh in-depth, after I came out, obviously I had some set-backs, my would-be sponsor eventually backed off..And yes, because of other Influences [ mostly my mothers' Family interference as Santeros + being rejected by the mainstream Muslim community at-large for being Queer, and my keen interest in Judaism within my Family Tree], I did let sleeping dogs lie and neglected my studies for some time...
No, I'm not a Hijabi/Niqaabi, but I do encourage muslim Femmes to don the veil (no, not the Burqah)..As a Transmasculine Stone Butch, I reconciled my modesty to meet with the masculine attire, of course..
This is not "bid'a", as some archaic narrow-minded Mullah would claim..
But rather complying with how Allah (SAW) made me in every sense of the word..
and I do have Medical + Sunnah backup...
I was raised in what some Westerners would consider an oppressive environment..
My "school of thought"(Madhab) is Hanbali {Salaf}, Westerners mistakenly call it Wahhabi...and claim it's "extremism"..I, on the other hand, do not..as many others..At best, we're simply "Ultra-Orthodox".. [there's 4 main Madhabs]
That there's some bad apples trying to wreck things, and the focus of the world is on those few bad apples, I won't deny they exist..they do...
My Madhab is of the belief that Islamic laws, jurisprudence etc.. Must have validity specifically given from the Qu'ran, and Sunnah..If there is none there, Then, and only then can we seek into the Sahabah's [companions directly involved with the Prophet Muhammed(RA), and the writing of the Qu'ran] advise, if seeking "backup" from the Sahabah proves futile, then the closest Hadith is permissible but it cannot be so "weak" that it borderlines unsuitable..
Obviously at this point, you know I'm Sunni...
The division between Sunni and Shi'a is Political...Not religious...
Although Shi'a do tend to do things slightly different, and at times...meh..
I digress...

I'm not "active" as I'd like..
I do observe Ramadhan, I give Zakat, because of my health both go hand-in-hand, I've performed Haj.. By Islamic law I'm entitled to place "Hajji" in my name, I dont only because as it is, I'm having difficulty changing my entire Name legally...
I don't attend Jumah because my Dialysis prevents me from going..

And then there's the Santero/Judaic factor...Which is another thread for another time...

Hopefully that helps a lil'...

I only ask for respectable Inquiries, positive discussions, and Zero prejudice...
If I can answer, great, I don't have all the answers, nor do I pretend to claim I know it all, I don't...
I won't bother with bashings..
If Other butch/femme muslims wish to answer, by all means, more than welcome to give your views...

Jazakum Allah khair

Old 11-12-2009, 10:00 PM   #2
Selenay

How Do You Identify?:
A soul for a compass and a heart for a pair of wings.
Preferred Pronoun?:
All I ask of living is to have no chains on me.
Relationship Status:
All I own are the strides I spend to the finish line.

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,450 Times in 370 Posts
Selenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST Reputation

Why the burqah and not the veil?

Selenay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:11 PM   #3
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,180 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Could You explain, please, what is "Haj"?
Thank You....

~Diva

Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:16 PM   #4
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

What would you recommend for those who are interested in learning more (for the sake of learning and understanding) about the Islamic faith?

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:43 PM   #5
Rook

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Rook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST Reputation

In a Mursal hadith {Abu Dawud proved it is Mursal}

'Aisha (RA) said: Asthma', daughter of Abu Bakr(RU), entered upon the Apostle of Allah (PBUH) wearing thin clothes. The Apostle of Allah (PBUH) turned his attention from her. He said: O Asthma', when a woman reaches the age of menstruation, it does not suit her that she displays her parts of the body except this and this, and he pointed to her face and hands.

Mursal, in laymans term would be somewhat like a position in a Grapevine, a rather weak one...

In the state of "ihram", during Haj, a woman is forbidden to cover her Face, unless a non-mahram Man is around, and even then she is allowed to show her eyes, as the Sahabah did...

If a muslimah wishes to be Niqaabi, that is her right, there are Qura'nic verses that support her choice in Modesty...
However, the Burqah covers All....
even the eyes...
I'm not a fan of it for religious and health reasons...
For starters, muslimah are encouraged to emulate the Sahabah, and they allowed their eyes to be seen...
Second, the burqah can be hazardous...
Heat strokes, accidents in the street, unwarranted attention when the purpose to begin with is to avoid it through modesty
And of course, a Burqah / Niqaabi really shouldn't drive if their coverings can provoke an auto accident...

Depending on the muslimah femme's school of thought{madhab}, is where her position on Hijab vs Niqaab will lie...
and I will always respect her view, I may differ, but...
I also like having a warm body by my side during those cold long nights {chuckles}
Old 11-12-2009, 10:49 PM   #6
Rook

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Hajj is the Holy Pilgrimage to Makkah, annually many Muslims make such a trek...
It is Mandatory upon every Able Muslim, to attend at least Once in their lifetime.. If the Muslim is unable, they can always contribute in various ways...
Saudi Arabia grants a specific number of Hajj attendants per Country of origin each year, to keep it from being a Chaotic event...
and even then there has been incidents of trampling( some International Independant news have covered such incidents..and it's usually during a specifc part of the Hajj that does encourage 'running' )
Makkah is strictly Muslim-only..Much like Latter-Day Saints and their temples...
They will play "20 questions"..and then some, if they get suspicious, or if you look hopelessly Lost BEFORE reaching Mekkah, usually in Madinah or Rhiyadh*depending how you entered the Kingdom*, which is where they will Demand in some cases 2 Letters from your Imam and a trusted community Leader, if you're a woman, you will need a Mahram(related Male relative) or, 2 letters from your oldest male relatives authorizing a Sponsor to be with you, you cannot lose those papers or the Sponsor at any time...
That Sponsor is like your Daddy, your Grampa, all that in one...They are responsible for you when you arrive, and they make sure you're on the Plane to leave....

What I truly enjoyed, other than the experience, was visiting the Souqs..the Merchants..
I brought back a few prayer rugs and knicknacks for the ladies..
Old 11-12-2009, 11:13 PM   #7
Rook

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
What would you recommend for those who are interested in learning more (for the sake of learning and understanding) about the Islamic faith?
For starters, always ask before assuming, then there's always have an Open mind, always keep in mind that in many countries that are "Islamic" in some way, do not make distinctions between Religion and Cultural tradition...
Do not stick with one point of view if you still have doubts, keep digging, and please, try to avoid the Quacks, they're really easy to pick out...
Their way is the only way, and if you suggest something that might Differ and all they can do is Preach with anger and refuse to at least acknowledge that there could be a chance they're wrong, keep walking...
I honestly recommend reading the Qu'ran if you have the time, and always keep in mind, each Chapter, verse is subject to Interpretation, so if you read a verse and think one way, a Scholar elsewhere might be thinking differently....
I strongly recommend only Qur'ans that go from "right to left"...and have both your Language, and Arabic....
Visit the local Mosque after doing research on whether they Segregate & how they segregate.. That lil tidbit can tell you a lot of the people within... their school of thought, the country most of them are from, where they stand on some issues...

Always show respect, it's courteous & you catch more flies with honey...
Sadly, I will say this...
Try not to butt heads about Gender and Sexuality...
You're interested in Spirituality, not gender politics...

Know that what one man considers Permissable, another might flat out call it "Bid'ah"(Innovation/Heresy)....

As for Linkage...
I might have to look around, and get back at ya'...
Old 11-12-2009, 11:26 PM   #8
Rook

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackhammer View Post
I think I missed welcoming you to the site Rook, so heres a big welcome.

Of course you can post this here, why not?

Thank you very much...
I really do like it here....
As for why not...
I've had my encounters in the past where intolerance was the secret word of the day.....every day...
yes, virginia, even in the LGBTQ community there's intolerance..
Old 11-12-2009, 11:32 PM   #9
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,180 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Thank You, Rook.....this is such helpful information! I appreciate the education.....

~Diva

Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:24 PM   #10
Words

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme submissive
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 4,261 Times in 677 Posts
Words Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST Reputation

Wa aleikum salam...

I'm Muslim too, albeit a non-practicing one (I wore hijab for 20 years plus after converting some 30 years ago but gave it up when I came out). I do, however, believe, (which is why one of the things on my current 'to do' list is to ensure that when I die, I am buried as a Muslim), and although I know I'll one day be judged for giving up the hijab, I do not believe that I'll be judged for being queer. (I'm putting this out there for the sake of those wondering, why worry about the hijab and not about being queer.) Why?

Because, to date, no one has shown me any evidence that there is anything in the Quran - or elsewhere -,other than a reference to 'lewd behaviour,' that condemns female homosexuality. Sex outside marriage? Sure. But 'lesbianism'? No. This - obviously - isn't something that many Islamic scholars like to admit, but I have spoken at length with some very learned Muslims and, as I said before, there's nothing. (I think the same thing can be said of Judaism, no?)

So, in that regard, my conscience is clear. Abandoning the hijab, drinking alcohol, and not praying on a regular basis (I do pay zakat and give away as much as I can in charity)? Now that's another thing completely.

Salam,

Words
Words is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:02 PM   #11
Rook

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

As-Salamu Aleikum,
This is very true, Words..
I have asked as well, while there are passages against Male homosexuality..There's nothing in regard to Lesbianism, anywhere specific in Qu'ranic or Sunnah text..However, a few Scholars will use a lame duck excuse, "Surely if two men is ruled Haram, two women ought to be as well"
The 3 Imams that pointed this out, I made it a point to let them know such assumptions could easily be construed as Bid'ah, since there's no literal Evidence to back up what they say..
Needless to say they weren't content..
I was deemed argumentative, contrary, and 1 even condemned me to hell-fire unless I married..
I know deep in my heart, he has no right to say such things, therefore, I don't lose much sleep, my transgressions are between Me and Allah(swt) when my time comes..
I'm at peace with my Modesty, and comforted when I do have the chance to pray..
And yes, in my Living Will, my Burial is Islamic too..
There's no hardship I cannot overcome with Faith...
As much as Allah{swt} is Exacting, Swift in dealing with the Sin..
So to is there a Forgiving, Just, Merciful and Kind Allah{swt}
Everything we do, is already known...

I do believe that in Judaism, the reason for condemning Homosexuality is because of unwarranted spilling of Seed [Life]....
Somewhat the same reasoning for such in Islam{besides Adultery}..
Any correction is greatly accepted/appreciated...
Any mistakes are Mine alone...

Wa'Salaam