Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Communication, Friendship, Getting To Know One Another

Old 05-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 10,230 Times in 3,305 Posts
Talon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST Reputation
Question What is your calling?

Today I've been thinking about what other's feel is their true purpose in this life....and I became curious about this particular community, and what each of you feel is your own unique calling (or not). This can be something that you do in your work or spare time, and can be anything you contribute to, or feel a pull towards and have yet to do. This may be creatively, spiritually, your current profession, or through community outreach, ect.

I look forward to your responses.
Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Talon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2012, 10:30 AM   #2
clay
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch (Silver Fox) Dom Daddi
Preferred Pronoun?:
50 Shades of Clay Darker & Deeper
Relationship Status:
married to my forever

Thanked 31,683 Times in 7,714 Posts
clay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Excellent thread, Talon!! ^5

Most of my life I was in the medical field, as a Nurse! I was led to that oath at age 2...while in an oxygen tent with a trach. I was forever getting out of my bed to go and tend to the other crying babies. My own sounds were silenced by the trach! So at age 23 I graduated Nursing School and put in 21 years as such!...along with being first Female Volunteer Firefighter and one of first EMT's in State of SC. I put in 12 years as First Responder in my local Rescue Squad! I have always given back to the community thru those services..both professionally and volunteering!
In recent years, I have found my empathic side, my healing nature side..and resonate with Star Seed Indigo children of Telos & Lemuria....crystals & stones are very, very significant to me. Along with that, I have a therapeutic touch. The movie Avatar...touched me very deeply...the Tree of Life...especially!
My "calling" or my comfort zone is being that of being a silent, gentle giant amongst the redwoods now. I will keep silent, turn the other cheek, and try to rise above conflicts and dischord. I find inner peace on so many levels and identify strongly with dolphins I see on a regular basis. I live my life as I wish in quietness and gentleness..it is just my nature. I enjoy living life on a positive level and steer clear of conflicts...it is just something I have no time for...if it doesn't take away my birthday, or my breathing, I just tend to overlook that small, insignificant stuff....instead focusing on how I can make the day a more peaceful one or encourage someone who is down or facing something horrible and alone to feel my support..whether vocally or silently.
It gives me great joy to reach out and touch someone, to make that person feel real in that moment with me or validate their significance in this world. It takes but a second to be kind...and a lifetime to overcome meanness or hurtfulness....
I will be back later...just wanted to contribute to this wonderful thread, Talon! Thank YOU! for it's inception!
Old 05-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Talon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by claybaby View Post
Most of my life I was in the medical field, as a Nurse! I was led to that oath at age 2...while in an oxygen tent with a trach. I was forever getting out of my bed to go and tend to the other crying babies. My own sounds were silenced by the trach! So at age 23 I graduated Nursing School and put in 21 years as such!...along with being first Female Volunteer Firefighter and one of first EMT's in State of SC. I put in 12 years as First Responder in my local Rescue Squad! I have always given back to the community thru those services..both professionally and volunteering!
In recent years, I have found my empathic side, my healing nature side..and resonate with Star Seed Indigo children of Telos & Lemuria....crystals & stones are very, very significant to me. Along with that, I have a therapeutic touch. The movie Avatar...touched me very deeply...the Tree of Life...especially!
My "calling" or my comfort zone is being that of being a silent, gentle giant amongst the redwoods now. I will keep silent, turn the other cheek, and try to rise above conflicts and dischord. I find inner peace on so many levels and identify strongly with dolphins I see on a regular basis. I live my life as I wish in quietness and gentleness..it is just my nature. I enjoy living life on a positive level and steer clear of conflicts...it is just something I have no time for...if it doesn't take away my birthday, or my breathing, I just tend to overlook that small, insignificant stuff....instead focusing on how I can make the day a more peaceful one or encourage someone who is down or facing something horrible and alone to feel my support..whether vocally or silently.
It gives me great joy to reach out and touch someone, to make that person feel real in that moment with me or validate their significance in this world. It takes but a second to be kind...and a lifetime to overcome meanness or hurtfulness....
I will be back later...just wanted to contribute to this wonderful thread, Talon! Thank YOU! for it's inception!
Wonderful response....I like how you responded in a truly all-encompassing manner. The way we contribute positively to the world, (I feel) can be as much as your chosen life-long profession, to giving a warm smile to someone who seems to really need one at that moment.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Talon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,603 Times in 3,972 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

I figured out a long while ago that whatever I did in life for a career had to have meaning, to make a difference. I went into mental health and social services. I ran domestic violence shelters,rape crisis units, drug rehabs, etc. I burnt out on them after a couple decades. I moved into becoming a child and family therapist. Loved it. Found my calling. Then had my accident which ended that professional road.

I tried to work, but couldnt keep up. The strain was too hard on my unhealed back. Other issues crept up and made me more frail. I relapsed from my own long term alcohol recovery, and a relationship ended in a bad way.

For a few years I had to lay on my couch to take the slow turtle crawl of true healing. That and several surgeries, therapy, AA, and a departure from romance, allowed me to resurface whole. I am not fixed. I am disabled. But I am functional. And needed a new purpose. I chose not to go back into mental health and social service. I knew I was always going to need to keep that part of my skill level for myself. While healed, I was always going to need help, so I was going to be my own client, forever. I basically hired myself as my own case manager. Ha!

So I turned to something I love..being a femme. And a plus sized femme at that. I am starting a store, a consignment store, for plus size clothing. And I call it Pretty & Plus. Its SO much more than a clothing store. Its a social network, an event, a support base, a kinship, a sacred space, for all us plus size Positive Gals. (the plus sign in math means positive, doesnt it?)

But I also do alot of work with animals too. I am helping animal rescue non profits raise monies to care for the needy animals in their care. From dogs to cats to horses. I can not handle the physical care of these animals so I support those who can.
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

GREAT thread idea.

My calling in life has changed over the years. When i was young it was to survive, i had no time to waste worrying about my calling. i had to put food on the table, that was my only calling. i took many *jobs* hussling and bussling to make ends meet.

When i started my career in banking it didn't fulfill that need i have to help others. i started volunteering. i worked at a home for teenage pregnancy and mothers. i worked with hospice. i worked at the Ronald McDonald house, Childrens hospital. Especially on holidays.

i ended up in New England after Katrina and went to work for a group home withe head injured folks. THAT was awesome. i felt like i was getting paid to volunteer. i wanted to do more, so i went to massage school learning bodywork and was able to work on them, bringing them some comfort. i was in heaven. i was with an alcholic partner and my personal life was in such turmoil i left New England and my dream behind. That was hard. VERY hard.

Now i am in Canada doing what i love again, bodywork. The health challenged, sick, cancer stricken, MS , car accident victims are who i work on. i'm in heaven again. i'm selfish, i have a need to feel good about what i do and i feed that need by doing just that. i am now in a teacher certification course where i can pass down what i know about bodywork and hopefully inspire others to get out there and touch someone!

My other calling? photography i've had a camera in my hand since i can remember. Soon i will be going out there to capture events for people and hopefully have fun doing it.
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #6
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Tia View Post
I figured out a long while ago that whatever I did in life for a career had to have meaning, to make a difference. I went into mental health and social services. I ran domestic violence shelters,rape crisis units, drug rehabs, etc. I burnt out on them after a couple decades. I moved into becoming a child and family therapist. Loved it. Found my calling. Then had my accident which ended that professional road.

I tried to work, but couldnt keep up. The strain was too hard on my unhealed back. Other issues crept up and made me more frail. I relapsed from my own long term alcohol recovery, and a relationship ended in a bad way.

For a few years I had to lay on my couch to take the slow turtle crawl of true healing. That and several surgeries, therapy, AA, and a departure from romance, allowed me to resurface whole. I am not fixed. I am disabled. But I am functional. And needed a new purpose. I chose not to go back into mental health and social service. I knew I was always going to need to keep that part of my skill level for myself. While healed, I was always going to need help, so I was going to be my own client, forever. I basically hired myself as my own case manager. Ha!

So I turned to something I love..being a femme. And a plus sized femme at that. I am starting a store, a consignment store, for plus size clothing. And I call it Pretty & Plus. Its SO much more than a clothing store. Its a social network, an event, a support base, a kinship, a sacred space, for all us plus size Positive Gals. (the plus sign in math means positive, doesnt it?)

But I also do alot of work with animals too. I am helping animal rescue non profits raise monies to care for the needy animals in their care. From dogs to cats to horses. I can not handle the physical care of these animals so I support those who can.
I love how you recognized that sometimes in life we must be flexible to where life might take us...and that the plan we start with, may not be the plan that we end with. This (I feel) is one of the important keys to life..having that flexibility, and not allowing change to stop you.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Talon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #7
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun_dee View Post
GREAT thread idea.

My calling in life has changed over the years. When i was young it was to survive, i had no time to waste worrying about my calling. i had to put food on the table, that was my only calling. i took many *jobs* hussling and bussling to make ends meet.

When i started my career in banking it didn't fulfill that need i have to help others. i started volunteering. i worked at a home for teenage pregnancy and mothers. i worked with hospice. i worked at the Ronald McDonald house, Childrens hospital. Especially on holidays.

i ended up in New England after Katrina and went to work for a group home withe head injured folks. THAT was awesome. i felt like i was getting paid to volunteer. i wanted to do more, so i went to massage school learning bodywork and was able to work on them, bringing them some comfort. i was in heaven. i was with an alcholic partner and my personal life was in such turmoil i left New England and my dream behind. That was hard. VERY hard.

Now i am in Canada doing what i love again, bodywork. The health challenged, sick, cancer stricken, MS , car accident victims are who i work on. i'm in heaven again. i'm selfish, i have a need to feel good about what i do and i feed that need by doing just that. i am now in a teacher certification course where i can pass down what i know about bodywork and hopefully inspire others to get out there and touch someone!

My other calling? photography i've had a camera in my hand since i can remember. Soon i will be going out there to capture events for people and hopefully have fun doing it.
Don't you think that it usually* is* a journey of self-discovery, before we begin to discover what truly speaks to our individual hearts and minds? It's almost like you have to go through hardships in life, in order to be able to have true compassion for others...or what point of reference do you really have? I love how your passion really comes across, and you want to share this feeling with others in order to inspire!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Talon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2012, 08:29 AM   #8
Daddislilgrrl

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
married to the butch of my dreams!

Daddislilgrrl Has the BEST ReputationDaddislilgrrl Has the BEST ReputationDaddislilgrrl Has the BEST ReputationDaddislilgrrl Has the BEST ReputationDaddislilgrrl Has the BEST ReputationDaddislilgrrl Has the BEST ReputationDaddislilgrrl Has the BEST ReputationDaddislilgrrl Has the BEST ReputationDaddislilgrrl Has the BEST ReputationDaddislilgrrl Has the BEST ReputationDaddislilgrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Wow, great thread! I am fixin' to turn 49 this August, and I have finally figured out exactly where my calling and my passion lies. My calling is my current job, working in Support and Sales, out of my home, for 1-800flowers.com. It's a job I found by accident and I absolutely love it. It's helping me gain self confidence, after being on disability for more than 8 years. My passion? My husbutch Andy and I own and run a non profit small breed dog rescue. We rescue dogs from shelters (high kill mostly) and we vet them, and we rehab them, and then find these precious babies new homes all over the country. We use www.petfinder.com to advertise, and our website is www.arfctx.org . Andy had no idea what he was getting into when he met me LOL...but now after 8 years together he wouldn't change a thing.

Right now though, we are in dire need of donations because we took in 3 what were supposed to be chihuahuas and ended up being golden lab/chow mixes. These are gorgeous pups, and they are very wise. They need to be spayed/neutered, and are eating us out of house and home. But we are working hard to get the donations we need.

Thanks again for starting this thread. I love it!

Daddislilgrrl (Lisa)
Daddislilgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Daddislilgrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2012, 10:33 AM   #9
skeeter_01

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey you!
Relationship Status:
Sleeping single in a double bed..

skeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
"Right now though, we are in dire need of donations because we took in 3 what were supposed to be chihuahuas and ended up being golden lab/chow mixes. These are gorgeous pups, and they are very wise. They need to be spayed/neutered, and are eating us out of house and home. But we are working hard to get the donations we need".
post your donation needs on www.chipin.com alot of the rescue FB pages that i'm on use chip in for donations.

and this goes right along with what i think my calling has become..it's changed over the years...95% of my employed life has been in the human service/medical field...i currently work at a HUGE level 1 trauma center/ER at a large university hospital as a clerk...LOVE IT!! however as i get older, i find my TRUE love is dogs...specifically pit bulls but i LOVE and advocate for all breeds...i've found that i like dogs better than most people!! my dream would be to have a rescue...

i'm just going back to volunteer at the local humane society...i did a couple years ago and the first dog that i took out on a leash for a walk, didn't have experience on a leash..he was a big boy..sheppard mix...ran full boat into my knee and tore my miniscus in 2 places...LoL!! so i'm goin' back...i'm just afraid i'm gonna bring them all home with me...be interesting in my little one bedroom butchler pad!

anyway...that's it for me...DOGS!! and the nicest thing about it...my bff is JUST a crazy about dogs as me!!

great thread!!

Texting while driving is a real KILLER!!!

‎"It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together...but it takes only one nut to scatter them all over the highway..."
Jeff PARAMEDIC
skeeter_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to skeeter_01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #10
mariamma

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 1,116 Times in 281 Posts
mariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputation

I am scared of my Calling and have been actively avoiding it since I was 24. I'm scared because I'm alone in it (not really, *waves at fellow alien claybaby*) and I feel destined for a life of no money, no partner, no way out but writing and pulling myself up and hoping someone pays me for writing. Not writing what said person wants me to write (as in a job as a copywriter) but in writing what my spirit guide needs me to write.
It's in part because I want to be part of the Lesbian Intelligencia (the smart dykes club). And to be accepted, you have to earn money. Otherwise, you're invalid, a stay-at home mom, living off of someone else. Yet I am Priestess and have to live off what is freely given. That's how that system works. One cannot demand payment in currency. It has to be an energetically clean exchange of goods for services since I get info from spirits and as long as I have a smooth, clean connection, things work. If I'm stressed about money, trying to earn a certain amount a month, etc. that hormonal change decreases psychic connection and clarity of info. Specific, activation of the HPA axis and a spike in cortisol T unbalanced by other hormones.
It is my Calling to do the work of another, to collect info and write in honor of MamiWata (and GiftingMother), to bring back Shamanic tradition in women since connecting to the Source works via E (other hormones too but mostly E), to connect women to ourselves and all life thru promotion of energy work, to remind women of ancient Amazon traditions that we are still battling today (energy exchange, deforestation, global climate change, slavery, dishonoring of E and fear of E violence against LGBTQI people, exploitation versus fair-trade/organic/sustainable culture, etc.).
Most are here already. A daily spiritual practice (walking, yoga, meditation, dream work, dance, art, music, sex, etc.) is fundamental and many have a daily spiritual practice. Some have autoimmune diseases and need to become Rei Ki, Prana, energy practitioners in order to heal. A few will produce too much energy and feed spirits and demi-gods (and maybe they want to do other things with their energy).
I'm scared of my Calling because the first Goddess to claim me is MamiWata. She is twinned-souled, a mirror Who reflects back to you what you give Her. The second is Athena Who appeared from a crack of light before me, stepped out and sliced off my head with a huge sword, claiming "You are My woman! This (the head) is Mine. That (the body) is yours."
I'm scared yet I love MamiWata and Athena more than I can love a person. And They and my spirit guide who directs my life love me stronger than anyone ever has (I am one of those people who was unloved by my mother. luckily I was loved by my older sister. no one has come close to loving me as deeply as the Source, the Universe, the Goddess, MamiWata , Erzulie, Papa Legba, Black Athena or any other Godds I've met).
It is my Calling to finish GiftingMother's work. It's mine only in that I am threading together information into a narrative and spiritual practice. The info is and has been out there for years but discredited. Now modern neurobiology is a booming enterprise and what was poo-pooed is now coming accepted truth.
I trust the Godds more than I trust living humans. Humans lie for pride, profit, because they can't be wrong, etc. Humans tolerate dishonor as where spirits who lie, cheat, steal are not good and avoided at all costs (or hunted). The Godds cannot. Which is why They are Godds and we are lowly humans.
I'm scared of being alone in my Calling but this is my destiny. I cannot change my life. The Secret doesn't apply to me. I'm almost 43 and whenever I try to change my life, my spirit guide keeps me on her track. We're supposed to be in charge yet that doesn't apply to me. I am what one might call...pwned. I have to do my Calling in order to free myself, emerge into the woman I'm supposed to be. Maybe I should look forward to the good part. I can't see that far ahead though. But how else can I accept my Calling?
mariamma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mariamma For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #11
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

I believe you can certainly have more than one calling and that any calling can develop into a bigger area of learning and living....

Listening to my mother tell the stories, i have been a nurse since i was born. She tells of the times when i was very young, 5-6, when i would turn our home into a hospital and have baby dolls in all of the rooms where i would check on them and give them medication.

Nursing is definitely my calling. No doubt whatsoever. I married young and did not go to college right away. As with another calling i have, i raised my babies. I worked in doctors offices throughout the years and in hospitals. Anywhere i could to be around medicine.

When i finally went back to college and received my degree in nursing, my life was fulfilled. I have people ask me why didn't i become a doctor. As it would be a step down to become "just" a nurse? It is so very different. It is a different type of practicing medicine. Nurses protect patients, besides healing them. We are patient advocates and we stand, many more times than people realize, between doctors and patients to protect. We heal more than the symptoms, we help change people's lives by how they live. We request the help of many medical personal from different areas, such as therapies and social workers and sometimes the state, to better serve our patients.

We take an oath. We stand before our communities, our family, friends and before God and take an oath to always act on the behalf of the patient and in their best interest.

There are many nurses on this site. I will guarantee that we have all stood up to family, doctors, specialist and higher management within organizations when we have needed to on behalf of our patients.

A few years back i achieved the Nursing Geriatric Certification, and am now an RNC. This has become my passion. Our beautiful older population is very special with their own needs, abilities and right to live a long, happy life. My calling has developed into being their voice. I am involved with our Hospice side as well and will fight for anyone's right to die when it becomes apparent that is the end result of the illness.

What a wonderful achievement in life to find your calling and to be able to live it. Love reading these stories. Just a simply beautiful thread.
Maya Angelou
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #12
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessbelle View Post

I believe you can certainly have more than one calling and that any calling can develop into a bigger area of learning and living....

Listening to my mother tell the stories, i have been a nurse since i was born. She tells of the times when i was very young, 5-6, when i would turn our home into a hospital and have baby dolls in all of the rooms where i would check on them and give them medication.

Nursing is definitely my calling. No doubt whatsoever. I married young and did not go to college right away. As with another calling i have, i raised my babies. I worked in doctors offices throughout the years and in hospitals. Anywhere i could to be around medicine.

When i finally went back to college and received my degree in nursing, my life was fulfilled. I have people ask me why didn't i become a doctor. As it would be a step down to become "just" a nurse? It is so very different. It is a different type of practicing medicine. Nurses protect patients, besides healing them. We are patient advocates and we stand, many more times than people realize, between doctors and patients to protect. We heal more than the symptoms, we help change people's lives by how they live. We request the help of many medical personal from different areas, such as therapies and social workers and sometimes the state, to better serve our patients.

We take an oath. We stand before our communities, our family, friends and before God and take an oath to always act on the behalf of the patient and in their best interest.

There are many nurses on this site. I will guarantee that we have all stood up to family, doctors, specialist and higher management within organizations when we have needed to on behalf of our patients.

A few years back i achieved the Nursing Geriatric Certification, and am now an RNC. This has become my passion. Our beautiful older population is very special with their own needs, abilities and right to live a long, happy life. My calling has developed into being their voice. I am involved with our Hospice side as well and will fight for anyone's right to die when it becomes apparent that is the end result of the illness.

What a wonderful achievement in life to find your calling and to be able to live it. Love reading these stories. Just a simply beautiful thread.

Very well said,the care of our elders is something that I hold very close to my heart.Keep doing what you are doing because what you do for the people you see each day gives more than you will ever know.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2015, 08:33 PM   #13
Tuff Stuff

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 1,318 Times in 506 Posts
Tuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST Reputation

These days my calling is wherever the day (or night) takes me.Before that I raised two kids,and for the last 20 years i guess that was my calling.

I share my mind,my knowlege,my life experiences,my body,my time with people I give a damn about...online and in real time.

Call me the messenger,a teacher,a ghost.
Tuff Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tuff Stuff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2015, 08:57 PM   #14
Daddislilgrrl

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:

Daddislilgrrl Has the BEST ReputationDaddislilgrrl Has the BEST ReputationDaddislilgrrl Has the BEST ReputationDaddislilgrrl Has the BEST ReputationDaddislilgrrl Has the BEST ReputationDaddislilgrrl Has the BEST ReputationDaddislilgrrl Has the BEST ReputationDaddislilgrrl Has the BEST ReputationDaddislilgrrl Has the BEST ReputationDaddislilgrrl Has the BEST ReputationDaddislilgrrl Has the BEST Reputation
Default Been a long time for me...

These days life is very different. I left my job at flowers, worked on the rescue, and Andy and I got officially married last November in NM. I love being his wife,

In the meantime, thanks for the link. I'll be sure to check it out!

Y'all take care!

Daddislilgrrl
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daddislilgrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2015, 09:43 PM   #15
JDeere
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/him/his
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 28,871 Times in 9,718 Posts
JDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST Reputation

I am not sure of my calling as of yet. I do however have a love for animals. I am thinking about seeing if I can get a job at the local Vet's office or volunteer at a rescue.

Albert Einstein
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JDeere For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2015, 12:07 AM   #16
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,958 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

My calling was always taking care of people, and I have done it for most of my life.

I ran residential care facilities and did job support (while working in Aerospace) for people with developmental disabilities, and women with mental/dual diagnosis issues for 26 years.

I cared for a child, 2 spouses and my mother until she died. I now care for assorted critters and my spouse who works from home, an elderly man who needs us, and a partridge in a pear tree. Lol

Our Pastor has asked me to participate in a 3 year program to council other members of the Episcopal faith...but I am pretty sure i have nothing left to give others outside of my family.

So, I am in search of a new purpose...and I have not yet found anything interesting. I'm only 54, and yes I have some limitations...but I'm not ready to curl up and die.
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2015, 05:22 AM   #17
betruetoyoursoul

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She,Her,BabyGirl
Relationship Status:
On a Beautiful Journey regardless if I am single or coupled!

Thanked 2,397 Times in 1,093 Posts
betruetoyoursoul Has the BEST Reputationbetruetoyoursoul Has the BEST Reputationbetruetoyoursoul Has the BEST Reputationbetruetoyoursoul Has the BEST Reputationbetruetoyoursoul Has the BEST Reputationbetruetoyoursoul Has the BEST Reputationbetruetoyoursoul Has the BEST Reputationbetruetoyoursoul Has the BEST Reputationbetruetoyoursoul Has the BEST Reputationbetruetoyoursoul Has the BEST Reputationbetruetoyoursoul Has the BEST Reputation

My calling has always been one to nurture as it comes naturally to me. I have had the opportunity to work with many different populations from preschool, K-12, Dementia clients, mental health clients, and so much more...I truly feel blessed.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:45 AM   #18
Daddislilgrrl

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:

Red face UPDATE!

Hi y'all! Well, my job at 1800flowers.com didn't pan out. They sold out to another company, who laid everyone from 18f off within 6 months. Glad I didn't go, was a gut feeling, ya know?

Now I'm a Tupperware Consultant! I'm having a ball with new people, and new products! What I would love to do is see if I can get 3 people that would like to have an online party with me! Super easy! I set you up, we start the party, and you give your link to everyone you know!

Let me know who would like to be my Hostesses for the month of September!

Thank y'all so much!

Daddislilgrrl (Lisa)
Old 01-28-2016, 09:03 PM   #19
Gayandgray

How Do You Identify?:
Femme-ish, tomboy lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Together a really long time

Thanked 12,912 Times in 3,079 Posts
Gayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

I have always been a caregiver and used to feel that it was my calling. But then when my spouse got sick and had to retire, I got a second job to help cover finances at an animal boarding kennel and LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it!!!!!!!!! I felt that I had FINALLY found my TRUE calling! I worked there a few years and was offered a fulltime job, but I could not afford such a huge pay cut plus they offered no benefits. I hated to quit but the state started paying me to take care of my spouse, who really needed me home more as her health started declining, so I resigned. I keep in touch with my old boss and she and I joke that if we hit the lottery I will quit my job in healthcare and work fulltime at the big kennel she will buy! LOL! Especially as I'm getting older, I feel I relate better to animals than people. And if I didn't have such bad hands I would probably be a dog groomer.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:29 PM   #20
Chad
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Loved Caregiver

Thanked 20,325 Times in 5,678 Posts
Chad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST Reputation
Default Calling

I seem to be a jack of all trades.

My first career was very mechanical and I am good at seeing machinery in motion in my mind.

The environment is my second career and my gift of motion works well with aquatic systems.

My passion is animals. I have always had a gift when it comes to animals wild and domestic.

My life is working out well now. I restore and protect the environment. I am my own best ranchhand because I can maintain all the equipment. I can also tackle plumbing and electrical issues. I can interact with wildlife and domestic animals on my land and in my work.

Now if I could just figure out humans !
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chad For This Useful Post: