Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Communication, Friendship, Getting To Know One Another

Old 02-10-2017, 12:07 PM   #1
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,863 Times in 7,834 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation
Thumbs up Phone and Text Etiquette - Your Opinion?

I am really curious what folks think about texting and phone call etiquette.

Feel free to talk about whatever you want but I'm super curious about the following things:

How do you feel about people face-timing you without warning or appointment? Does it depend on who's doing it?

How do you feel when people call or text you during work or school hours?

Do you enjoy having long conversations by text? Why or why not?

How do you feel about someone calling you over and over within a short period if you don't answer? How about if the person calls you every day even though you aren't answering?

How do you feel if someone calls or texts you while you are on vacation or at an important event?

How early or late do you think is appropriate to call or text someone?

How do you feel about group texting?

Again, please tell me all about your views on phone etiquette! I'd love to hear from you folks!
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2017, 12:33 PM   #2
clay
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch (Silver Fox) Dom Daddi
Preferred Pronoun?:
50 Shades of Clay Darker & Deeper
Relationship Status:
married to my forever

Thanked 31,672 Times in 7,710 Posts
clay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Great thread & thought provoking subject!! R-E-S-P-E-C-T!!! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post

Feel free to talk about whatever you want but I'm super curious about the following things:

How do you feel about people face-timing you without warning or appointment? Does it depend on who's doing it?

For me personally, it is about being respectful of someone else's "space".

Sometimes I just want to be online & be lost in whatever I may be doing there...so I prefer the person ask before doing so.

It can depend on whom is doing it..for example if it is an emergent situation & all other efforts to reach me has been exhausted.

Even with my GF, when we are online at same time, both of us are respectful & "ask first" before FT etc.

Since I am retired & I do not go to school, this really doesn't apply to me.

But when someone is working, others should be respectful of that...barring a dire emergency, texts/calls should be made with discretion (ie IF person should be on break and WANT to be contacted, etc.)

A break and meal break is for the working person to have some "me" time, or to just enjoy being in a quiet space...I get that & respect that!

As in the case of me & my GF, we are in contact a multitude of ways, thanks to social media. So, usually work talks/texts are brief. She is busy making her bacon..lol

When she commutes, we rarely text/talk as that is a time for her to unwind, catch up on social media unencumbered with personal texts & calls...it is about her "me space". I don't have a need to constantly be joined at the hip, so to speak. We begin & end each & every day with either GM texts OR calls and the end of day tuck in call.

I have some really, really close friends whom I am in contact with on a weekend usually, so I DO enjoy a long or longer chat then.

I don't really like long texts or text sessions, as my eyes grow blurred after a bit. That phone screen is so damn tiny..lol.

Dear friends I usually talk to on the weekends & calls vary by length. It is always nice to actually talk to someone & catch up. So then I enjoy longer calls.

How do you feel about someone calling you over and over within a short period if you don't answer?

Were it a DIRE emergency of a family or loved one, then yes, it is amenable.

IF it is someone I can't get up with right away, & a VM has been left & I am not in a position to answer, it would indeed be annoying. Perhaps it went to VM for a reason...

I would address this with the repeat caller in a tactful manner.

How about if the person calls you every day even though you aren't answering?

See above.

How do you feel if someone calls or texts you while you are on vacation or at an important event?

My phone is always on silent/vibrate mode when I am at anything like that OR if I am enjoying something & do not wish to be connected to cyber world.

I DO check my messages regularly once in the space to do so. IF it is something I need to address right away, I do so.

Vacation or social gatherings are for pleasure & to have some time with the people at these events, so I am disconnected for that time. I do check messages, & if need be, respond in kind. I leave my cell off while asleep or having dinner or doing something fun & cool on vacay. I am pretty upfront to folks when I am not wanting to be disturbed, so it rarely happens in clay's world.

For me & my sweetheart, I am always available, as is she, I do have a strict DND policy regarding our sleep time respectively, for myself and everyone else. Rest is utmost a priority in our world.

My phone is on vibrate & I can hear the gentle buzz should she need me during night, and vice versa. Others of my social network are kind, courteous, & considerate. Most know my sleep schedule, and it isn't usually disturbed.

I think an hour before bedtime & a couple hours after arising is a good parameter to have regarding calling or texting most folks.

Haven't ever done that, and do not even know how. I do not think it would be an inconvenience for me....

Again, please tell me all about your views on phone etiquette! I'd love to hear from you folks!

Most of my phone etiquette is just a manner of politeness, speaking in soft, soothing tones, being mindful of others time & other parameters, & of their individual needs.

I practice common sense regarding what/where/when/how I make/receive calls & texts, & expect same in return.

Care to chat?....
Old 02-10-2017, 12:34 PM   #3
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Thanked 15,248 Times in 3,064 Posts
Andrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST Reputation

Ohhh... this should be an interesting topic.

A big no from me. I haven't face-timed but I know I would not want to be surprised by a call. Perhaps if I was comfortable with the program, I wouldn't mind certain people contacting me that way unannounced...my honey, sister, bestie.

How do you feel when people call or text you during work or school hours? Sure, call or text but don't think I will be able to answer or respond quickly.

Not a big fan of long conversations anyway so no.

How do you feel about someone calling you over and over within a short period if you don't answer? How about if the person calls you every day even though you aren't answering? If someone calls me over and over within a short period, it best be a life and death emergency. If someone calls every day and I don't answer or respond, I am not going to take the call so quit trying.

How do you feel if someone calls or texts you while you are on vacation or at an important event? On vacation is fine. If I don't want to talk, I won't answer or respond. If at an important event, my phone is off or at least on silent so call or test if you need to.

I never call or text before 8am or after 9pm and I expect the same courtesy.

How do you feel about group texting?Group texting has its place but I don't like getting what I believe to be a personal text and responding, only to begin receiving responses from others.

What we think about and thank about, we bring about!

Today I will treat my body with love and respect.
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Andrea For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2017, 01:39 PM   #4
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,960 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

How do you feel about people face-timing you without warning or appointment? Does it depend on who's doing it? I don't answer

How do you feel when people call or text you during work or school hours? I don't answer unless wife or child

Do you enjoy having long conversations by text? Why or why not? No. Text is easily misunderstood.

How do you feel about someone calling you over and over within a short period if you don't answer? I keep my phone in my purse, so I don't always hear it ring. How about if the person calls you every day even though you aren't answering? if I dislike someone that much, I have already blocked their calls.

How do you feel if someone calls or texts you while you are on vacation or at an important event? I turn off my phone...no one says I have to answer the phone, I pay for the damn thing!

How early or late do you think is appropriate to call or text someone? Family anytime, others after 9 am and before 11 pm

How do you feel about group texting? Too irritating to get all those replys

Leave your phone in the other room at meals

When you go out with family/friends, put the phone away

When you go to a party full of people you care about, put the phone away.

If you are in line to pay anywhere, put the phone away...your call is annoying me and no one cares what Mary said to Gail.

If you are in the car with me, put the phone away...the person you are with is the person you chose to be with at that moment; If you want to be with them that bad, go the fuck home.

Turn off the phone at the movies

Turn off the phone at church

Do NOT under any circumstances bring your phone into my bed.

Jeez, I could go on all day! Lolololololol
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2017, 04:42 PM   #5
Smiling

How Do You Identify?:
with a distinct flair

Thanked 4,382 Times in 1,009 Posts
Smiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST Reputation
Default Since you asked....

I look at this in exactly the same way as the "pop-in." I'm not really a big fan of surprise visits and many years ago (in my much less assertive days) I found myself to be often inconvenienced by it until a longtime friend of mine taught me his way of handling it. (lol, by making a point to sit in plain view of the door - generally with cocktail and cigarette in hand - and simply not answer while the people (who could clearly see him sitting right there) pounded away. He was a jerk in many ways but in his defense, this was reserved for those who were habitual boundary-crossers.)

Not a fan of that; prefer discreet and brief email conversations (when necessary; otherwise I prefer focus on work when at work).

No. I do not. And I've finally come to the realization that it isn't the just medium itself that annoys me, but rather the accompanying expectation that I provide an instantaneous response to it. (I won't.)

How do you feel about someone calling you over and over within a short period if you don't answer? How about if the person calls you every day even though you aren't answering?

I would say something to that person (politely, of course) and if it continued to be disruptive, I would put the number on block. (If I need to talk to that person, I can always call them.)

I wouldn't answer. Again, the expectations that come along with cell phones are the biggest problem for me. I have no problem turning the phone off or to silent or simply ignoring a call.

It depends on the individual because schedules are different from person to person and how close that person is to me. However, as a general rule, I wouldn't call someone past ten (at the very latest) - but I typically don't use the phone much at all.

Hate it. I find it obnoxious and intrusive; but that's just me.

Interesting topic. I have no interest in being shackled to a cell phone all day, every day. Sometimes it feels like an ankle monitoring bracelet. I miss the days when the phones stayed at home.

But the absolute worst is public use of the speakerphone feature. To me, it shows a complete lack of consideration for others as well as the person to whom you are speaking. However, it would appear that I am in a teeny, tiny minority on that based upon the incredulous responses I get whenever I have this discussion with people.

Thank you for reading.

Last edited by Smiling; 02-10-2017 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Spelling correction.
Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Smiling For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2017, 05:39 PM   #6
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Thanked 10,623 Times in 2,488 Posts
Cin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST Reputation

I don't do long texting or face time, I might on very rare occasions that haven't presented themselves yet and for reasons I don't know of, but for now...NO.

As far as answering a persistent caller or taking a call when I am otherwise engaged, that will never happen.

The phone is supposed to be a convenience not an obligation I have to other people. The only person I am obligated to is my wife and for her I will walk through fire to answer her calls.

But as far as everybody else is concerned, my life is my own and I share it when I choose.

And just like I did with a land line, I will answer when I feel like it, return calls when I feel like it and turn the phone off whenever I want. Unless it's an emergency or a friend or family member needs me for some kind of support, I talk on my time.

I control how I spend my free time. Hopefully the time I choose to spend socializing will match with others, but I am not going to give up my time or inconvenience others at functions, movies, whatever, to take phone calls. It's just rude. It's rude to the people I am with and rude to the people forced through no fault of their own to share space with me.

I wish other people would stop talking everywhere out in public all the time. It's incredibly annoying to not even be able to take a piss in silence. I have to hear someone in the bathroom stall next to me having some ridiculous conversation.

I mean it's a sad state of affairs if people are so busy they can't go grocery shopping or out to eat or take a piss in a public restroom without talking on their cell phone. It's really weird and more than a little obsessive. I long for the days when only people suffering with a mental illness talked out loud everywhere in public. And for them I had great compassion. For people so obsessed with social media and staying connected they have lost all sense of public decorum, not so much.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2017, 07:09 PM   #7
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 34,006 Times in 8,559 Posts
Orema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST Reputation

I gonna start by saying; I don't like phones and I never have (unless I'm talking to someone I'm partnered with—then I like to talk.). But I miss the days when I could use a human answering service and have limited use of a phone. I do see the value in Smart Phontes, but I'm not really a fan. I often treat my phone like a land line. Sometimes I leave it at home or just turn it off .... I resent that we've come to rely on it as much as we do.

Quote:
I don't use FaceTime. I have it turned off, but that may change.

Quote:
I don't like it and usually I don't answer those calls and texts.

Quote:
Not really, I like the intimacy of voice conversations. I get a better sense of what you're saying and meaning in voice conversations. The voice conveys so much more than text. It's not as easy for me to capture emotions (warmth, happiness, sarcasm) in text. Text is cool for short thoughts, but I'd rather have a voice conversation for anything substantial.

Quote:
I couldn't have that. I'd tell them to stop calling or I'd block them.

Quote:
Doesn't bother me. I'll answer when I can or when I want to. I work with people who are very respectful of personal time off (PTO). Seldom do we contact each other when we're on vacation. I'd answer a call from one of them, but I'd do it at my convenience. And I'd answer a call from family or a loved one without hesitation.

Quote:
I don't think people should call others after 8pm unless they have an understanding. But it really depends on the situation—8pm could be a terrible time for someone who works the midnight shift. I'd take it on a case-by-case basis.

Quote:
I hate it but I think that's because I don't know how to use it and maybe my settings aren't right. I used to answer them, but then strangers would start asking who am I (!) and I'm thinkin' you texted me. Yeah, I don't even answer them anymore.

Quote:
I never put people on hold for longer than 30-45 seconds, if that. Either I call them back or I give them my attention.

I think all calls—personal and work related—should be returned within 24 to 36 hours.

I would love it if people would state why they're calling in the beginning of the call (i.e., Hey girl, just calling to chat, or do you have time to discuss _________, just thought I'd call to check up on _________).
Orema is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2017, 07:42 PM   #8
Chad
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Loved Caregiver

Thanked 20,326 Times in 5,678 Posts
Chad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST Reputation
Default Phone etiquette

When I was a kid at my parent's house phone etiquette was a big deal. I think they impressed that on us kids pretty hard.

I have a lot of rules in general but also with the phone. Anyone that knows me in person knows not to call me at work unless it is an emergency, not after 8:30 pm on a work night, and not too early on the weekend (my phone is on silent at night on the weekend anyway).

I don't face time or Skype just because I don't know how. Friends can send me a medium sized text but if they have a lot to say I would prefer that they just call me.

Sometimes on the weekend I like a lenthy chat with friends or family to catch up. I don't have time during the work week for long chats.

To me texts are like email. Send the message and I will return a text when I have time. Don't send me repeted texts unless it is an emergency.

This is my phone etiquette.

Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Chad For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2017, 07:56 PM   #9
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,816 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

Great topic Medusa! OK, here goes more truths:

How do you feel about people face-timing you without warning or appointment?

I don't like it and don't generally respond unless I am dressed and my hair is looking good!

Does it depend on who's doing it?
I tend to answer if it is one of my daughters but I have been known to not respond.

I leave my phone off at work. I don't have the kind of job that I can answer the phone in the middle of a group or individual session with a client. If I am alone and doing paperwork or notes and if I hear the vibration, I will answer it but it is rare.

Do you enjoy having long conversations by text? Why or why not? I actually like texting but I can't do long texts. I have had carpal tunnel and my hand and fingers get fatigued if I text too much. It is easier on my iPad but with my iPhone, it is really difficult for me.

How do you feel about someone calling you over and over within a short period if you don't answer? How about if the person calls you every day even though you aren't answering? I actually have never had anyone do this to me. I don't know anyone that would do this. I would be totally irritated if it did happen.

The call would simply go to voice mail. The text, would sit there until the event was finished. Vacation? I have been known to answer it if it was family or a good friend.

if it is an emergency-any time. Just to chat, not before 9:00AM or after 9:00PM.

If it is about a get together or social event or family crisis-it makes perfect sense. As a regular thing, I don't like it.

Overall, I really don't like talking on the phone for long. After a couple of minutes, I am ready to get off. It used to bug the hell out of my recent ex before we moved in together. She could talk and talk on the phone and just never understood why I really didn't like it. Honestly, it was because she talked and I listened. That gets old really fast for me.

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2017, 08:26 PM   #10
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

I don't face time but I prefer to have something set up in advance because my schedule rarely matches someone else's.

I'm usually not available to talk during my work day so I just don't answer. My cell is always on vibrate anyway.

Not really. Too much is lost in translation and lack of body language and facial expressions.

Stalker much? I'd feel a restraining order coming on.

If they know about these things and I've not expressed interest in talking during that time frame, then they go to voicemail. If they don't know that I'm otherwise occupied, they go to voicemail.

That depends on their personal schedule. What may be too early or late for me might be fine for them. I work during the day so super late or super early texting would not put you on my good side.

I don't really do it but I've heard horror stories about personal drama coming out by accident because one doesn't know or realize that they are texting the group.

Basically phone etiquette is similar. Don't call someone if you think it might not be appropriate and if you really don't have any times that you would consider inappropriate to call or text then you're 'that' person in the group and that's why some of your calls go to voicemail and some texts are just not answered. Use common sense, be respectful and limit any potentially disruptive psychosis.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2017, 08:52 PM   #11
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,793 Times in 3,939 Posts
Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

Interesting thread!

Quote:

I do not have FT. As for any of the other video chats, I want to have a choice regarding when I video chat and with whom. I feel the same about this as I do someone showing up at my front door without calling first. Please do not do it.

I'm retired, and since my classes are online for the time being this isn't a big issue for me. If I were working or attending classes on campus, I feel it would be my responsibility to silence my calls while on the clock or in the classroom, rather than expect others to keep up with my schedule.

Text is my least favorite way of communicating with another person, so I am definitely not interested in long conversations via text. If this is the only way the person can speak with me at that time, and I am really into speaking with them, I will & have made exceptions. I would much rather speak via the phone, in person, or even Skype depending on the relationship.

Oh see, that will not happen for long, because I do not have the patience for such nonsense, and will block that caller.

How do you feel if someone calls or texts you while you are on vacation or at an important event? Again, I prefer to see this as my responsibility, and will either silence my phone, or shut it down depending on the situation at hand if needed. It would not upset me if a friend called during one of these occasions, and I would simply return their call at a mutually convenient time if unable/unwilling to talk at that time.

How early or late do you think is appropriate to call or text someone? I would not make a personal call to a friend before 9am or after 9pm unless I knew for certain it was okay with that person, or if it was an emergency. I am not bothered by calls coming in during odd hours because I silence my phone when I retire for the night. However, I can see where a person with children, elderly parents, doing on call hours, etc. may not have this luxury.

Never done it, and only see it as possibly being valuable to connect 3 or more old friends who have moved apart or who have not connected in a long time. Or perhaps if planning a surprise party for someone. Otherwise I am not feeling any interest.
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2017, 09:15 PM   #12
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,863 Times in 7,834 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

I have really enjoyed reading all the responses!! Super cool to see so many folks are still "old school" about phone etiquette.

I'll confess: I have a young gay boy who I love dearly who doesn't think twice about trying to FaceTime me without an appointment at 10am on a Tuesday when that fool knows I'm at work. I told him I was going to strangle him when I saw him again

I think phone use and texting behavior can be super generational too (especially from the looks of how we "finely aged" people like to do it!
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2017, 10:32 PM   #13
VintageFemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 7,641 Times in 1,657 Posts
VintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST Reputation

I like this conversation very much! So glad you asked. First, I'm very anti-phone and always have been. I have to make myself talk on it which is why I probably get nowhere with dating. LoL And then there's this that kind of sums it up for me...“Don't use the phone. People are never ready to answer it. Use poetry.” ― Jack Kerouac

I'm very uncomfortable with someone wanting to face-time without 'appointment' / pre-planned time ahead. I won't answer the phone.

This I'm okay with. I have a lot of freedom at work unless I'm in meetings so I'm fine with texting me at work. It's usually a lovely distraction for me.

Like most conversations in life, it depends on who I'm having it with. But technically speaking, I don't enjoy it on my phone but am fine with it on my iPad. It's the tiny keyboard that I'm not crazy about. I'm still pretty old school though and use my laptop more than either my phone or iPad.

I think it's very rude. Call, leave a message and if I don't get back to you, assume there's a reason. It may not even be a personal reason having to do with the caller, there may be something going on in my world.

Texting is fine, phone calling I will always let it go to voice mail. Well, actually I let every call all the time, with only one exception being my son, go to voice mail. I don't answer the phone.

And, again it depends on the person or the day of the week. Some people I'm fine with middle of the night texts. Calling is business hours only.

I'm not crazy about it unless it's necessary for planning something. There's too much that can go wrong with the whole concept I think.

On to more of phone/text etiquette...
In my opinion, unless you are twelve, it's not appropriate to 'text type'. Example: UR, 2b While I'm a stickler for spelling and grammar usually, the real reason I don't like text type is because it takes me too long to figure out what is being said. I'm ok with the occasional LoL but that's about all I think is ok for educated adults to use. I think too, texts should be answered in a reasonable amount of time. It takes two seconds to acknowledge a text message even if it's just to say, I'll have to get back to you later. Texting is so routine these days that it's not frowned upon in most settings anymore and so answering quickly is usually going to be ok. I work in the corporate office of a major retailer and we text in meetings all day. It's very acceptable in the workforce now. I think phones should always be on silent at work, on dates, etc. And, I'm always put off when someone takes a call (unless it's an emergency obviously) or carries on a long text conversation when we're socializing. And lastly, people who carry on personal conversations in public areas such as shopping, theaters, restaurants loud enough for everyone else to hear, I think is rude also. You can always excuse yourself and have a private conversation somewhere. It's uncomfortable to listen to others private conversations in public places. Wow, I didn't know I had all these phone/text issues. No wonder I never talk on the phone! I'm not on good terms with it clearly.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:23 AM   #14
cathexis

How Do You Identify?:
Trotskyist, Anarcho-syndicalist
Preferred Pronoun?:
They, Them, Their, Sir Bitch
Relationship Status:
open

Thanked 4,710 Times in 1,603 Posts
cathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputation

How to state this?

We share 1 cellphone between the 2 of us. Neither of us enjoys texting.. Rare short texts with family.

We keep the phone at home and generally off except when calling someone or one of us is not home. I don't accept accept unplanned calls, let alone the horrific idea of face time. In fact, we choose not to have a phone with that capablity.

No one calls us unless have planned it well in advance.

We are less accessible now than when just having a landline. Less irritating.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:44 PM   #15
Bèsame*
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femm
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
☀️☀️☀️

Thanked 39,473 Times in 10,186 Posts
Bèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST Reputation

Please! Be ready to show your phone with what ever deal you have found when your suppose to. Don't hold up the line...the person your showing it to has things to do and so does the person behind you, as you flick thru pages and say, I just had it.

A kiss is a whisper in your mouth.
Can I borrow a kiss? I promise to give it back.
Bèsame* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bèsame* For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2017, 06:01 AM   #16
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,972 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation
Default I'll play!

[Medusa;1127445]I am really curious what folks think about texting and phone call etiquette.

DO NOT LIKE - This has to be arranged first.

if its not necessary don't do it.

Yes. I have speech to text and I don't always hear so well- HOWEVER some convos require a voice.

RUDE

Depends on the someone.

7am to 9pm

NOOOOOO just no
Again, please tell me all about your views on phone etiquette! I'd love to hear from you folks! QUOTE
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2017, 07:17 AM   #17
easygoingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Lil' Miss Sassy Pants
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her

Thanked 14,115 Times in 2,999 Posts
easygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

No, please don't. I won't be answering. Only time I facetime is pre-planned like.. I'm at a party and one of our friends can't go and we say... we'll facetime you!

If I know that it's because they have a moment and don't actually expect me to get right back to them, it's fine. But if they are then like... hey, why aren't you getting back to me? I'm annoyed.

No. It's annoying and typos and misunderstandings and... just pick up the phone at a time it works for us both.

I feel like both are totally uncalled for. Take a hint.

Better be an emergency if I'm at an an important event and they know it. I don't mind on vacation - so long as I have the option to respond or not or in my own sweet time.

Earliest- 7am. Latest 11pm.

My friends and I do. I like it for when we're planning out something. I don't like when someone group texts like.. a news article or something. Don't want my phone blowing up for that.

I like no pressure no expectation phone relationships. I usually have to answer my phone due to being on call for work 24/7 and call id doesn't always tell me who is calling but I have no problem not answering my phone if I know who it is and don't have time/don't feel like talking. I'll call back when my mood/time is right and if they answer, great. If not I leave a message and trust we'll connect when the time is right.
easygoingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to easygoingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2017, 07:51 PM   #18
Logicaly

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
She is the gamer girl to my gamer boy

Thanked 1,744 Times in 513 Posts
Logicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST Reputation

How do you feel about people face-timing you without warning or appointment? Does it depend on who's doing it? If I get a video call without warning I reject it or block the camera and then answer. You should always ask before a video chat is any kind. I don't mind seeing other people, but I like to make sure I don't have a booger hanging out of my nose or something before answering a call.

How do you feel when people call or text you during work or school hours? I don't mind texts but unplanned calls are extremely disruptive for me, especially since I work in an open office environment. It's even more frustrating when people don't get the hint when I say I am at work and insist on continuing to chat.

Do you enjoy having long conversations by text? Why or why not? Since I often have social anxiety, I am able to express myself better over text, so I don't really mind long conversations via text.

How do you feel about someone calling you over and over within a short period if you don't answer? How about if the person calls you every day even though you aren't answering? Dude, if I don't answer my phone, leave a message. If I don't return the message then I clearly do not want to talk to you. My mother does this, calls multiple times until I answer, drives me batty.

How do you feel if someone calls or texts you while you are on vacation or at an important event? This doesn't bother me as long as it is not taking up more than just a few minutes of your time. If you start ignoring me for your phone, well then we are going to have words later on.

How early or late do you think is appropriate to call or text someone? Anytime is fine, with the technology to silence phones or set DND and only allow certain people and things through I see nothing wrong with this.

How do you feel about group texting? I would prefer to not get dragged into one unless I am aware if it ahead of time.

You know something else I think is incredibly rude. Talking on your phone while someone is ringing you up at any kind of store. It's incredibly rude to the person working and it slows down the line for the rest of us!

Last edited by Logicaly; 06-06-2017 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Removing quote tag
Logicaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Logicaly For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2017, 10:08 PM   #19
IrishAmazon

How Do You Identify?:
Hey Lady!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ms.
Relationship Status:
Dancing in the sunshine and rain.

IrishAmazon Has the BEST ReputationIrishAmazon Has the BEST ReputationIrishAmazon Has the BEST ReputationIrishAmazon Has the BEST ReputationIrishAmazon Has the BEST ReputationIrishAmazon Has the BEST ReputationIrishAmazon Has the BEST ReputationIrishAmazon Has the BEST ReputationIrishAmazon Has the BEST ReputationIrishAmazon Has the BEST ReputationIrishAmazon Has the BEST Reputation

Phone and Text Etiquette - Your Opinion?

Uhhg I know it was supper cool on The Jetsons, but even Jane had a mask for the purpose. I have some friends and family that are just taken with apps like snap chat and slide. This is bothersome and irritating to me just as much.

When I was in an office or a clinic it was irritating, and I made sure they knew it was not okay. It was necessary on occasion for example when my step son has an allergic reaction because someone gave him a peanut butter cookie. he was fine after he got a dose, that poor girl though felt horrible.

This for me is my preference, I loved to talk all night as a girl, but as an adult I don't do so well with small talk. I get weird and don't know how to continue once I notice that their is not actual direction of conversation. This may also be why I lake the skill to flirt or drop hints.
I will also admit that I also like to take my time to think about my responses, The first inclination is to say what I am sure the other wants to hear, this way I say what I mean and as a Gemini sometimes that takes some sorting.

Why would anyone submit them selves to this? Self respect?

If they are friend or family they are calling or texting when they have something to say or just want to reach out, which is fine I have the choice to respond or not. Again not a leash.
If it is work, WTF. No unless it was prearranged, I respect that we have a trade agreement and I honor that my time and effort is rented to them but this does not mean they own me.

Know your audience.

Group texting is fine if it is a need to know, it was beneficial last November and December for my cousins and I to coordinate care for an aunt that lived hours away from any of us and her husband was just so lost. We were all able to cover the last two months of her life between sick and vacation. Or if you are collaboration a big family dinner or a night out as a group

My Rant
For me to start with I have had people in the past that have tried to use my phone as a leash, I was early twenties when cell phones started to become the norm, I have always been an adult with one and will not be expected to check in like a teen. If I am not reaching out it is by design.
I have little regard for people who are so rude as to have what should be a private conversation in any public place, I don't mean the hi how are you type of calls i mean the personal conversation that you should be embarrassed by any Joe or Jane over hearing this is not cute and you are not all that with or with out that bag of chips.
If you can not end your phone call before you get to the cashier you should not be in line for them yet, walk another lap get off the phone, don't be rude and don't make other people wait on you like that, their time is just as valuable as yours.

IrishAmazon
IrishAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IrishAmazon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2017, 12:23 AM   #20
Breathless
Brat Extraordinaire

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Happy

3 Highscores
Tournaments Won: 23

Thanked 4,101 Times in 958 Posts
Breathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

How do you feel about people face-timing you without warning or appointment? Does it depend on who's doing it?By invitation only, the only exception is my granddaughter or my partner, other wise I will refuse and be super annoyed.

How do you feel when people call or text you during work or school hours?while I'm at work, I prefer a text, and I'll answer when I can, what I don't like is when someone texts and gets all pissy that I haven't responded as fast as they think I should have- happens more than once and I'll make a point of NOT being available during work hours. Only call if it is an emergency.

Do you enjoy having long conversations by text? Why or why not? I like them, for lighter topics but some things must be said either in person or at least verbally. Sensitive topics should always be verbally discussed as the feedback is required that comes from at least a verbal communication.

How do you feel about someone calling you over and over within a short period if you don't answer? How about if the person calls you every day even though you aren't answering? If you call once maybe twice and that's it, leave a message and I'll call you back, if your number is blocked, I will ignore your calls, and might check my messages if you leave one. Any more that 2 calls and something better either be on fire or someone near death or injured that requires my assistance. Any more than 2 - and I get a 'I just wanted to chat' I'll probably hang up and block your number. Worry me for a chat-- smh

How do you feel if someone calls or texts you while you are on vacation or at an important event? Again, I will answer when I can, but rest assured I will not interrupt the crowd for a phone call.

How early or late do you think is appropriate to call or text someone? It was hammered in my head as a child 9 .. Don't call or knock before 9 am -- don't knock or call after 9 pm. Bestie and my kids are the exception unless otherwise arranged. Emergencies are just that and if my phone rings after those hours, that is what I am expecting.

How do you feel about group texting?If it's for an event or to notify of important info ie: my moms heart attack, that's fine, I don't expect a personal just for me message-- for those like and share type things, i will remove myself and strongly give thought to blocking future like messages. Really annoys me.

I will not talk on the phone while being served either in a drive thru or at a till. I think attention paid to the person serving you is mandatory and not negotiable. If the person I'm talking to can't respect that then I'll hang up and they can respect the heck out of the dial tone. I can't be rude to people in my space and talk in front of others, and there are some places the phone is not welcome - like public bathrooms.