Old 05-26-2010, 12:37 PM   #1
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Dominant Stone Butch Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 22,783 Times in 4,470 Posts
BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation
Default Dykes And Lesbians To Watch Out For

OK if you get the reference you're in. Here is a space to talk about being a dyke and/or lesbian or just show your support. Allies are most welcome.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 12:40 PM   #2
JustBeingMe

How Do You Identify?:
as ME
Relationship Status:
I don't need no stinking status.

Thanked 1,691 Times in 694 Posts
JustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST Reputation

Hey there Bulldog, thanks for starting this thread. I am a Lesbian, always have been, I am also Butch. I support all those who are.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:48 PM   #3
Jett

How Do You Identify?:
Hardcore bullheaded grown-ass Tomboy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
she loves my shaggy hair

Location: The backroom of a night cafe plotting world domination
Thanked 3,299 Times in 568 Posts
Jett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST Reputation
Default Hmm....

I peeked in because I thought I'd find myself on a Top Ten Most Wanted list.

Metro
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Jett For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 01:00 PM   #4
TenderKnight

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky Poly Transman
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

TenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST ReputationTenderKnight Has the BEST Reputation

OK, I'll bite.. who should I be looking out for, and is she in my closet now??

lol.. I am here to show support..

I admit that I am one of those guys that makes clear online that "im not a lesbian".. Although, the lesbian community was where I came out and started the process of finding out who I am. I don't identify with being a lesbian now, but I *try* not to diss lesbians either.. (has been guilty of making generalizations about lesbians).

I admire those that stand up and are counted.. I get to melt into the hetro crowd sometimes, most (most being a genralization, but again, let's run with it..), most lesbians can't vanish, they are in the fore front when they are out and about.. Two lesbians holding hands is pretty odvious.. Not to mention Butch lesbians.. Can't mistake a big ole dagger

I guess my point is that I once ID'd as lesbian, and even if it isn't who I am now, I will try to remember that being a lesbian is part of my story too..

-Tony
Old 05-26-2010, 01:02 PM   #5
Emmy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Married

Emmy Has the BEST ReputationEmmy Has the BEST ReputationEmmy Has the BEST ReputationEmmy Has the BEST ReputationEmmy Has the BEST ReputationEmmy Has the BEST ReputationEmmy Has the BEST ReputationEmmy Has the BEST ReputationEmmy Has the BEST ReputationEmmy Has the BEST ReputationEmmy Has the BEST Reputation

Well, I love Alison Bechdel, that's for sure! She's so nerdy and smart and adorable. When I was first realizing I wasn't straight, I would sit at the library for hours on end reading her Dykes to Watch out For series. It made me feel a bit more connected, less lonely.

I suppose I'm not, myself, a lesbian -when I'm honest with myself, I know I could have feelings for someone of any sex or gender- but I have much appreciation, respect and gratitude for everything my lesbian sisters have done and continue to do on behalf of the whole community. <3
Emmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emmy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #6
NJFemmie

How Do You Identify?:
The original lime-twisted femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
I answer to most things, especially lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Still loving my Mare ;)

3 Highscores

Thanked 11,425 Times in 2,978 Posts
NJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST Reputation

<--- Lesbian and proud of it.

Yeah, I'm not crazy about the word dyke either but I'm learning to tolerate it.

NJFemmie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to NJFemmie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 01:25 PM   #7
Jett

How Do You Identify?:
Hardcore bullheaded grown-ass Tomboy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
she loves my shaggy hair

Location: The backroom of a night cafe plotting world domination
Thanked 3,299 Times in 568 Posts
Jett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST Reputation

I like being a dyke... a Big Ol' Damn Dyke.

Lesbian yep... but I'd be more likely to relate with and say "I'm a dyke". Mostly because where I come from it's used to describe "tough-ish" or more "aggressive" leather or jean and boot style lesbians and butches. I don't want to put my foot in my mouth so I totally acknowledge some don't use or see it that way at all.

I understand some's discomfort with the word too. One of my best friends is a couple generations ahead of me and she doesn't like "queer", because she was of time before it was re-claimed.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Jett For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 03:37 PM   #8
2myladyblue

How Do You Identify?:
Goddess
Preferred Pronoun?:
...oui?
Relationship Status:
Worshipped

2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullDog View Post
OK if you get the reference you're in. Here is a space to talk about being a dyke and/or lesbian or just show your support. Allies are most welcome.
What if I didn't get the reference until after I read Emmy's post?
I can't believe I'm 20+ years behind on this!!! Thank goodness for the internet...when I realized I was outta the loop, I immediately went to www.dykestowatchoutfor.com & started catchin' up! Thanks BullDog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmy View Post
Well, I love Alison Bechdel, that's for sure! She's so nerdy and smart and adorable. When I was first realizing I wasn't straight, I would sit at the library for hours on end reading her Dykes to Watch out For series. It made me feel a bit more connected, less lonely.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Emmy...what a great comic strip!

And as for sounding off....I believe my profile synopsis says it all...lesbian, dyke....I don't care what you call me, just don't call me late for dinner! ~Blue
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 2myladyblue For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2011, 05:54 PM   #9
Captain Franki

How Do You Identify?:
FAAB Genderqueer; Camp as Christmas; Utterly Confused; Pokemon Master
Preferred Pronoun?:
They or any other neutral pronoun
Relationship Status:
Single

Captain Franki Has the BEST ReputationCaptain Franki Has the BEST ReputationCaptain Franki Has the BEST ReputationCaptain Franki Has the BEST ReputationCaptain Franki Has the BEST ReputationCaptain Franki Has the BEST ReputationCaptain Franki Has the BEST ReputationCaptain Franki Has the BEST ReputationCaptain Franki Has the BEST ReputationCaptain Franki Has the BEST ReputationCaptain Franki Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmy View Post

I suppose I'm not, myself, a lesbian -when I'm honest with myself, I know I could have feelings for someone of any sex or gender- but I have much appreciation, respect and gratitude for everything my lesbian sisters have done and continue to do on behalf of the whole community. <3
just want to concur with all of this!

i'm queer and trans but don't feel ive ever been a lesbian... after all i was effectively a 'straight girl' for most of my life, then circling around 'bi curious but only in theory' , later gaining the title of 'straight/bi faghag with lots of gay friends' before going directly to 'trans and also gay no wait bi no wait queer'. i sort of had a bi 'intermediate' but I never have had that lesbian first stage that seems massively prevalent, assumed even.

but i definitely feel a solid part of the liberal broadly queer lesbian id community. i love snuggling in its cosy not always metaphorical bosom. hit and miss with others. i love close male friendship and hanging out in male company but i find there is a cumulative toxic buildup of machismo if i spend too long with too many guys.
Captain Franki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:58 PM   #10
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation

Happy August and Monday to all the Lesbians, Dykes, Friends and/or Allies (cuz most of us can't just choose one).

For this Butch Dyke today is a sunshiney, laundry, bill paying kind of day, interspersed with much laughter, smiles and general all-around gaiety.

Feel free to stop and say hi or chat anytime. Everyone is of course welcome and all convos... anything goes from fluff to hard core... as long as you like Lesbians, Dykes and of course Alison Bechdel.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2010, 03:26 PM   #11
JustBeingMe

How Do You Identify?:
as ME
Relationship Status:

JustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolis View Post
I peeked in because I thought I'd find myself on a Top Ten Most Wanted list.

Metro
OH don't you know but YOU ARE and the Leader of the Pack too.....LMAO.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:29 PM   #12
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Lesbians, Dykes & Friends- you are all on the most wanted list. Happy Holidays!

- Rainer Maria Rilke
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 12:54 PM   #13
foxyshaman

How Do You Identify?:
spiritually minded dirt dog

Thanked 2,593 Times in 663 Posts
foxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputation

Ohhh... I love being a Dyke. Love it. I love the strength of the word and the sound of the word as it leaves my lips.

My GF does not like the word and does not refer to herself as such. It has been used as a derogatory term towards her (from others). But she is getting used to it and will even playfully use it when we tease each other.

Muriel Strode
foxyshaman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to foxyshaman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 01:01 PM   #14
JustBeingMe

How Do You Identify?:
as ME
Relationship Status:

On the term Dyke, I actually don't care for it because in my many years of being Lesbian, it was always used as a derogatory term(meaning they said I wanted to be a Man, when I didn't and don't) by others towards me; so I don't use that terminology in reference to others or myself. I strongly will use the term Lesbian in reference to myself, it just has more meaning for me than Dyke does. Over the years, I have learned to tolerate the term Dyke, as it comes up in discussions. I just let it go. No harm, no foul, ya know.
I sure hope this thread takes off, I wanna see where it ends up heading.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:39 AM   #15
Luckydwg07

How Do You Identify?:
Yes Ma'am! Butchiness- hard shell candy with a soft center
Relationship Status:
I've bee found-Life has new meaning to me

Luckydwg07 Has the BEST ReputationLuckydwg07 Has the BEST ReputationLuckydwg07 Has the BEST ReputationLuckydwg07 Has the BEST ReputationLuckydwg07 Has the BEST ReputationLuckydwg07 Has the BEST ReputationLuckydwg07 Has the BEST ReputationLuckydwg07 Has the BEST ReputationLuckydwg07 Has the BEST ReputationLuckydwg07 Has the BEST ReputationLuckydwg07 Has the BEST Reputation
Default I am learning about the term "dyke"

I too have had run ins with people calling me dyke in a derogatory way. I also believe demographics can play a roll in the use of the term.
dyke where I live also denoted ignorrance...e.g. "stupid dyke" and it usually came from a (drunkin')male person. it is /was a put down. now a days when I hear dyke its can be a negative term from a homosexual. dykes are considered by some of my friends as "mean, snotty,big mouths,(sometimes softball types)types" that harass the rest of the homosexuals in the bar, club
Don't put what I say as being my gospel PLEASE!! don't do that. I have yet to define myself in any such definite term and I admire the people who know themselves as well as they do (I'll wish to have that same type of confidence about myself one day) I'm sticking with butch for now because I certainly am not feminine. Terminology to me evolves along with the human condition after all we invented the terms and can reinvent them as well
Metro, bulldog and the rest..... I always enjoy the thoughts you put out there
Thanks for the thread
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luckydwg07 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2010, 09:29 PM   #16
naturlover_52

How Do You Identify?:
soft butch/bi
Preferred Pronoun?:
she and her are just fine....Sweetcheeks hey you
Relationship Status:
seeing someone long distance but soon will be both in Ca love her very much

Location: So Calif East San Gabrielle Valley aka the land of shake and bake
naturlover_52 Has the BEST Reputationnaturlover_52 Has the BEST Reputationnaturlover_52 Has the BEST Reputationnaturlover_52 Has the BEST Reputationnaturlover_52 Has the BEST Reputationnaturlover_52 Has the BEST Reputationnaturlover_52 Has the BEST Reputationnaturlover_52 Has the BEST Reputationnaturlover_52 Has the BEST Reputationnaturlover_52 Has the BEST Reputationnaturlover_52 Has the BEST Reputation
Default dykes and lesbians to watch out for

I am really glad that this page got started. How do identify....as a lesbian and a soft butch one. I have a hard time w/ the terms Dyke and w/ Queer. Mainly because that is not how I see myself. I think w/ the term Dyke, because it has been used for many years as a way of putting us down. As for Queer I know that it is has several connotations, but for me I feel that I don't fit the dictionary definition.

I don't care for labels...I am just me. I am a 41 soft butch lesbian who loves other soft butch women.

NOW I just need to find one near me.
naturlover_52 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to naturlover_52 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2010, 11:07 PM   #17
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I'm good with dyke, queer, butch.... Yet, there are times on the site (and the old one) that I too, just get tired of our preoccupation with labels overall. I want to know about the person, not a label.

It is really interesting to see how different age groups, locations, gender identifications and just personal history differ with these terms. But, this is exactly why looking at the individual and what they have experienced is much more valuable than the labels attached to them.

I am mainly a lesbian when I do look at my core.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2010, 10:37 AM   #18
Daktari

Oh my giddy aunt! I love you lot, and this site, you challenge me to think and question all sorts about myself and learn about how other folks experience the world too.

I've always considered myself a third gender; I happily id'd as Dyke and Queer for donkeys years; much later in life I found that Genderqueer was an empowering label for me; I prefer masculine pronouns for myself; I'm very happy to be a Genderqueer Dyke.

Whenever I've been called "dyke" as an epithet (it's a very rare occurrence for those that call other folks names generally assume I'm a fella until I open my mouth and speak) I usually commend them on their accurate powers of observation - one just has to encourage the less fortunate when they get something right!

My girl is a Queer Femme but also happy to id as a Dyke.

I have many friends who refuse to claim the label Dyke or Queer, they're Lesbian or Gay.

I struggle with 'gay' I'm definitely not 'gay', I'm far too grumpy to ever be described thus
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2010, 09:55 AM   #19
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Happy Friday Dykes, Lesbians and Friends. It's been a little quiet in the Lesbian Zone lately. Hopefully that's because everyone is enjoying their summer! Welcome to rawk, naturlover_52, Incubus and anyone else new to the thread that I missed.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2012, 08:24 AM   #20
Scottish MacDaddy

How Do You Identify?:
Sapiosexual/Old School Bull Dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
single

Scottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST Reputation

I, myself, have embraced the label of dyke as if it were my very own. I feel like I've earned it.

I've had it hurled at me as an invective from straights and I've had it shouted out at me in unity of who we are.

I've heard it come in low whispers, with a question mark on the end, when I've entered a room of mixed company.

I've heard that particular word used so many times to describe me that yes, I have made it mine. From Baby dyke to Big Daddy dyke. It is mine to wear and display as I feel, when I feel and where I feel.

I am proud of the DYKE I am!!!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein
Scottish MacDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Scottish MacDaddy For This Useful Post: