Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, etc
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 13,026 Times in 4,786 Posts
Leigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby_woo
You have a large team of femmes here that can help you out!

That would be fantastic ruby, I'm all excited just thinking about it

Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leigh For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #42
Quintease

How Do You Identify?:
Rainbow femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
princess
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 1,816 Times in 417 Posts
Quintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST Reputation

Hello! I don't know where to put this so I'm putting this here! *excited*

Old 02-01-2012, 07:33 PM   #43
Sassy

How Do You Identify?:
Female
Relationship Status:
Together

Thanked 1,928 Times in 460 Posts
Sassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDrug View Post
On the topic of heels!! I have a problem I need help sorted out or fixed, I love my heels and I love my platforms and what-have-you. The girl I just started dating is an inch shorter then I am in flats... T_T I've always dated girls taller then I am, so heels were never a problem. How do you handle dating someone shorter and still wear heels? I dont like the idea of towering over her... but I love my heels and the way they make my legs look!
As someone who is short and everyone towers over... don't sweat it. She probably loves the way your legs look in heels too
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sassy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2012, 04:18 PM   #44
Leigh
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, etc
Relationship Status:
Single

Leigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST Reputation

I bought my first nightie in like 4-5 years! Its black and fits perfectly ~ feels weird a little but I like it
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leigh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2012, 08:21 PM   #45
Ginger

How Do You Identify?:
Femme lesbian

Thanked 12,311 Times in 2,057 Posts
Ginger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST Reputation

Hi, I'm looking for a little advice.

I have layered hair, blond (hell yes I get highlights!), thick but fine, naturally wavy, past my shoulders, and I blow dry it every other day or so. I'm thinking of getting a curling iron, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend one that doesn't break or damage their hair.

Thanks!

IslandScout
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:17 AM   #46
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandScout View Post

I have layered hair, blond (hell yes I get highlights!), thick but fine, naturally wavy, past my shoulders, and I blow dry it every other day or so. I'm thinking of getting a curling iron, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend one that doesn't break or damage their hair.

Thanks!

IslandScout
Good luck with that, since the act of applying the heat to your hair is technically damaging.

There's a thread around here.....for this very kind of thing. I'll try to find it and bump it so you can see if someone there can help.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #47
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

Thanked 6,801 Times in 1,553 Posts
justkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Thanks!

IslandScout
No matter what you use you will have some kind of damage. You need to be sure you are preparing the hair when you use any kind of tool that involves heat. Are you using a heat protect-ant when you blow dry? When you use it that is what you see steaming off of the hair, some people layer their products. I have short hair and use 2 to 3 products on my hair. What are you looking to achieve by using a curling iron?

"A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success."
- Unknown -
justkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:49 AM   #48
Leigh
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, etc
Relationship Status:
Single

Myself and a friend of mine from high school went shopping last week and I bought the first skirt that I have owned in years! Its black and white and fits perfectly ~ I look forward to buying more in the future

Just had to share since its pretty exciting!
The Following User Says Thank You to Leigh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2012, 05:20 PM   #49
Ginger

How Do You Identify?:
Femme lesbian

Ginger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkim View Post
No matter what you use you will have some kind of damage. You need to be sure you are preparing the hair when you use any kind of tool that involves heat. Are you using a heat protect-ant when you blow dry? When you use it that is what you see steaming off of the hair, some people layer their products. I have short hair and use 2 to 3 products on my hair. What are you looking to achieve by using a curling iron?
Hi, Kim.

I like that straight hair look that I'm seeing a lot now, and that's what I'm looking to get with a curling iron. Since my hair is long now I thought it would be fun to have it be more straight, that it would have more "swing."

No, I don't use a product specifically designed to protect against heat when blow drying—that is a very good question and I should see what's out there.

I do use an Aveda leave-in conditioner called Damage Remedy, and an Aveda "smoothing fluid" in their Light Elements line. Sometimes for control I use the Light Elements "detailing wax" which is like hair spray without alcohol.

But no, none of these products is expressly for protection with blow drying or curling irons.

And I never see steam coming off my hair when I blow dry it, so maybe I need to get something to protect it against the hot air.

Thanks for writing!
IslandScout
Old 03-27-2012, 05:22 PM   #50
Ginger

How Do You Identify?:
Femme lesbian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
Myself and a friend of mine from high school went shopping last week and I bought the first skirt that I have owned in years! Its black and white and fits perfectly ~ I look forward to buying more in the future

Just had to share since its pretty exciting!
Have fun with that! I started buying wrap dresses last fall, and now I have quite a few. I find they're more forgiving, now that I've gained some weight. Plus they have a kind of retro quality to them that I like.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ginger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #51
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Hi, Kim.

I like that straight hair look that I'm seeing a lot now, and that's what I'm looking to get with a curling iron. Since my hair is long now I thought it would be fun to have it be more straight, that it would have more "swing."

No, I don't use a product specifically designed to protect against heat when blow drying—that is a very good question and I should see what's out there.

I do use an Aveda leave-in conditioner called Damage Remedy, and an Aveda "smoothing fluid" in their Light Elements line. Sometimes for control I use the Light Elements "detailing wax" which is like hair spray without alcohol.

But no, none of these products is expressly for protection with blow drying or curling irons.

And I never see steam coming off my hair when I blow dry it, so maybe I need to get something to protect it against the hot air.

Thanks for writing!
IslandScout
Kim knows hair, so she'll be a great resource for you.

My question would be, if you are trying to straighten your hair, why you want to use a curling iron versus a flat iron?

I'm misunderestimated.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #52
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

Thanked 6,801 Times in 1,553 Posts
justkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputation

Honestly you can use a larger barreled curling iron like a flat iron. Just ask your stylist since you use Aveda they offer many types of product that can be a heat protectant and also a styling aid.

"A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success."
- Unknown -
justkim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justkim For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2012, 11:11 PM   #53
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,435 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

how i wish i dressed and how i actually dress are sometimes two different things, hehe i love heels but i can't wear them that much - i usually live in mary janes or sneakers. i've been wanting to order clothes from these two sites for a while...they are definitely what my style would be if money weren't an object:
http://holyclothing.com/
http://www.lotustraders.net/

i also really like http://www.eshakti.com/ and http://www.s2fashions.com/ - i've ordered from both sites before and i still have some cute clothes from them

i've always tended towards dresses and skirts, but i usually wear pants underneath because i walk a lot and i hate it when my legs rub together. i only started wearing jeans again in the past couple of years - i spent several years without wearing them at all.

i got a few cute tops at t.j. maxx yesterday so i'll try to post pictures! i love the sites everyone has posted.
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2012, 05:21 AM   #54
Christy51274

How Do You Identify?:
100% High Femme, Submissive
Preferred Pronoun?:
Call me whatever you please.
Relationship Status:
Single

Christy51274 Has the BEST ReputationChristy51274 Has the BEST ReputationChristy51274 Has the BEST ReputationChristy51274 Has the BEST ReputationChristy51274 Has the BEST ReputationChristy51274 Has the BEST ReputationChristy51274 Has the BEST ReputationChristy51274 Has the BEST ReputationChristy51274 Has the BEST ReputationChristy51274 Has the BEST ReputationChristy51274 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDrug View Post

Going out tonight, Town in DC, and tomorrow night, Grand Central in Bmore... having trouble picking what to wear. So far I'm leaning toward the red dress tonight and the black dress tomorrow.
Love it all!

Christy51274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:48 AM   #55
Christy51274

How Do You Identify?:
100% High Femme, Submissive
Preferred Pronoun?:
Call me whatever you please.
Relationship Status:
Single

Christy51274 Has the BEST ReputationChristy51274 Has the BEST ReputationChristy51274 Has the BEST ReputationChristy51274 Has the BEST ReputationChristy51274 Has the BEST ReputationChristy51274 Has the BEST ReputationChristy51274 Has the BEST ReputationChristy51274 Has the BEST ReputationChristy51274 Has the BEST ReputationChristy51274 Has the BEST ReputationChristy51274 Has the BEST Reputation
Default Hair Straightening

I know you mentioned that you're looking for a curling iron, however I've been straightening my hair for years and have tried many products/tools. I've owned a Sedu since 2006 and will never use another. It's over $100, but the investment is definitely worth it. It's a flat iron, not a curling iron, but is one of the best out there. Read the reviews below:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sedu-Revolution-Tourmaline-Ionic-Styling/dp/B003AJLQ4W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332935170&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Sedu Revolution Tourmaline Ionic Styling Iron 1" - Black: Beauty[/ame]

I use Redken's Smooth Down Heat Glide, which works like a miracle! (The shampoo and conditioner are great as well)

Also, look into Keratin hair treatments (also known as Brazilian straightening). They're a bit pricey, but won't damage your hair and will keep it straight for a few months at a time.

Good luck,
Christy

Quote:

Thanks!

IslandScout

Christy51274 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Christy51274 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2012, 06:05 AM   #56
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy51274 View Post
I know you mentioned that you're looking for a curling iron, however I've been straightening my hair for years and have tried many products/tools. I've owned a Sedu since 2006 and will never use another. It's over $100, but the investment is definitely worth it. It's a flat iron, not a curling iron, but is one of the best out there. Read the reviews below:

Amazon.com: Sedu Revolution Tourmaline Ionic Styling Iron 1" - Black: Beauty

I use Redken's Smooth Down Heat Glide, which works like a miracle! (The shampoo and conditioner are great as well)

Also, look into Keratin hair treatments (also known as Brazilian straightening). They're a bit pricey, but won't damage your hair and will keep it straight for a few months at a time.

Good luck,
Christy
I haven't heard of that brand. I have a Chi and it was also about a c note. I love it though and, as long as I keep the receipt, if it ever breaks I can get a new one, no matter what store I bring it to. Love that!

Suave just came out with a DIY at home keratin treatment. I'm going to try it in about a week.

I'm misunderestimated.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2012, 07:28 AM   #57
Ginger

How Do You Identify?:
Femme lesbian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
Kim knows hair, so she'll be a great resource for you.

My question would be, if you are trying to straighten your hair, why you want to use a curling iron versus a flat iron?
That's a good question and I feel kind of silly! Duh! A curling iron curls! I was thinking that it straightens, LOL.

My hair, by the way, is straight by all standards. I'm blond, and it's kind of wavy if I don't blow dry it. But I like that uber-straight look. I'm going to go to Harmon's tonight and check out the appliances. (That's a personal care discount place in my area.)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ginger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2012, 08:51 AM   #58
Leigh
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, etc
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandScout
Have fun with that! I started buying wrap dresses last fall, and now I have quite a few. I find they're more forgiving, now that I've gained some weight. Plus they have a kind of retro quality to them that I like.
I should keep my eye out for those kind of dresses ~ I definitely want to continue my search for more dresses and skirts in the future, may even post some pics of my eventual findings

Quote:
Originally Posted by aishah
i've always tended towards dresses and skirts, but i usually wear pants underneath because i walk a lot and i hate it when my legs rub together. i only started wearing jeans again in the past couple of years - i spent several years without wearing them at all.
I haven't worn dresses or skirts in ages and buying that one has me itching to buy more lol I also haven't worn jeans in I don't know how long (mostly because they haven't fit me) but I am working on that
The Following User Says Thank You to Leigh For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #59
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,435 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

a friend of mine just shared this site with me: http://shoedazzle.com

it's free to join and most of the shoes are only $40/pair. and they're BEAUTIFUL. i can't afford them right now but i'm totally adding it to my list for this summer (i.e. when i'm more liquid...)
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #60
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 10,229 Times in 3,305 Posts
Talon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

Quote:

Thanks!

IslandScout
Hello I/S...you want to definitely use a heat-protection spray before using *any* heat tools on your hair. You don't have to spend a great deal on a thermal spray to get the benefits, although any good heat tools are pricey, but well worth the investment. I only use conditioning ceramic natural ionic energy with tourmaline heat styling tools. They are the least damaging to the hair, though nothing is completely damage-free. Some also have multiple settings to reduce damage, as well.
Talon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clothes, fashion, femme, shoes, style