Old 04-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #41
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
Unfortunately, employers can and do fire for no cause. If you live in a state that has this very unfair right to work law one is basically screwed. It means that employers can fire someone for cause, what that cause is, is up for interpretation.
For some, this is very, very true. Here, though, an employer must have several pieces of documentation (signed by all parties) showing that the employee was repeatedly warned/reprimanded/disciplined/etc before they can legally take that next step.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2010, 09:27 PM   #42
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

Your employer can write you up, but you do not have to sign anything as an employee. It is a he said/she said kind of thing. It really boils down to the law. If they want you out, they will find a way. Now that Obama is in the WH, we will all see if this law is finally ended for good.

Where I worked, I had a male supervisor, who took his hand and literally ran it thru my hair calling me butch and spike. And this guy was the VP of Risk Management. Go figure. Anyway, when I was demoted, fired, whatever you want to call it, I took them to the unemployment office court. I won at every single level. When it reached the point where they had to pay $5K for their insurance carrier to give them legal representation in court (I am not sure of what it's called) they paid up thinking I would back down. Oh hell no. I won.
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2010, 10:35 PM   #43
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
[COLOR="YellowGreen"]For those that don't know, I work for a hotel. This hotel has been here for almost 50 years, changing hands along the way a few times, and after all this time they still do not have the proper access for those on wheels or using canes and walkers. I mean, there have been some renovations done but the HA door to the lobby is.....well, not. Two entrances. One has a slight ramp leading into the back of our lobby area. This, the official HA door, is usually locked.

I know.

Sometimes during the day, it's open but it's always locked after dark. The other entrance has a fairly heavy door and there's no automatic door button for that one. I've suggested it; asked for it...but all the owners see (past and present) is the bottom line. What they don't see is a potential lawsuit and how much that would cost in the end not to mention that I just feel damn BAD when I see someone struggling with it. I get upset and annoyed FOR the guest because it should BE there already for them to use.

Honestly, I am genuinely surprised that we've passed inspections with a major brand with the layout like this. It really makes me wonder.[/COLOR]

Probably some kind of loophole having to do with when the original structure was built. Also, some goofy way of getting around the HC codes with what is existing. And you are so right with the bottom line! Most likely, people that need these accommodations just go to other hotels that suit their needs better and never make any reports/complaints. Also, my guess is that there are no differently baled employees or maybe ones that do not have mobility issues like some folks do.. the degree factor. No doubt, renovations for existing structure to make them accessible is expensive, but with some direct advertising to disability organizations, a pretty lucrative population can begin using that hotel! Every differently baled person I know always checks this out prior to travel. When I ask my friend with CP to do something with me, I find out about access of the place where an event etc. is being held before asking her. Now, I know a lot of places that she can either go to or not. My disabilities are not the same as hers, so I don't assume she can go to a certain location. Its all about awareness and sensitivity.

Something that has occurred to me too, is that many business owners, etc. assume that there are so few differently baled people that doing the HC renovations isn't worth it. But, this is really problematic as the reason that so many differently baled people become more home-bound or don't travel has to do with lack of access to begin with. I think businesses owners are missing out on a good stream of patrons with this thinking as well as just not giving a flying hooray.

Here, I have really been impressed with organizations like the B-F Socials taking access into consideration when they plan events and rent facilities. This is a more urban setting with good public transportation (with access) and an area that is politically conscious about such things. I know not everywhere is like this.

I am trying to design a ramp for my front porch entrance at my home so my friend can just zoom her chair into the house. She can get here via para-transit with her chair/scooter, but had to use her canes to get in the house. I bought my house knowing that future changes would have to be made for myself. Needed a one story, close to rapid transit and services. I knew that the work would be more expensive depending on some things like slope and number of stairs. So, I kept these things in mind when looking at houses. I know that when I need to remodel my kitchen and bath, I will have cabinets installed that are easier for me to reach and a shower without a tub to climb into. Actually, as someone mentioned, we are all just a breath away from becoming differently baled and we are going to age which can bring on some mobility issues. My late partner developed Parkinson’s and this was also part of the equation in buying my home as eventually, things would have to be renovated so that she could have easier access.

Nutty things happen. When my rheumatologist was moved to a new building within the medical center she is part of it was in a building on a hill in SF!!! There is a very unreliable cart service that patients have to include up to an extra hour or more for their visits in order to get a ride up the damn hill! My doc was incensed, but they also moved the cardiac )including heart transplant patients) docs there too! It is insane and in a medical group attached to a major teaching hospital!
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:44 PM   #44
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew, Jr. View Post

Your employer can write you up, but you do not have to sign anything as an employee. It is a he said/she said kind of thing. It really boils down to the law. If they want you out, they will find a way. Now that Obama is in the WH, we will all see if this law is finally ended for good.
Andrew, each state handles these things differently. I've been involved in firing someone that really, really had to go (it was poor workmanship, not abilities, and us losing revenue because of her that was the deciding factor) and it took us months before we could get the proper paperwork filled out and everything documented in accordance with the law and, yes, she had to sign every write up along the way. The laws do vary widely across the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastHome View Post

Probably some kind of loophole having to do with when the original structure was built. Also, some goofy way of getting around the HC codes with what is existing. And you are so right with the bottom line! Most likely, people that need these accommodations just go to other hotels that suit their needs better and never make any reports/complaints. Also, my guess is that there are no differently baled employees or maybe ones that do not have mobility issues like some folks do.. the degree factor. No doubt, renovations for existing structure to make them accessible is expensive, but with some direct advertising to disability organizations, a pretty lucrative population can begin using that hotel! Every differently baled person I know always checks this out prior to travel. When I ask my friend with CP to do something with me, I find out about access of the place where an event etc. is being held before asking her. Now, I know a lot of places that she can either go to or not. My disabilities are not the same as hers, so I don't assume she can go to a certain location. Its all about awareness and sensitivity.
The hotel has been here for almost 50 years, so I am sure there is some sort of grandfather clause for certain things. I am still very frustrated with them because they see that it can be an issue for some folks, but they just aren't connecting the dots yet and doing something about it.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2010, 10:43 AM   #45
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile Just sharing some of my being

The invisible disabilities are the ones that society, and the general public tend to ignore. If you can't see it, then it isn't there kind of attitude. Growing up in the 60's it was the same. If you can't see it, it is not there. Kids were just passed along to get them out of their classroom. That is what happened to me. It didn't matter if I understood the work or not. It didn't matter if I did the homework or not. Nothing mattered. I didn't matter. I was taking up space. That is how I see it. And that is how it felt to me to grow up with learning disabilities, and neurological disorders. I was given a label, and judged. Nobody took the time to find out what the problem was. Not a soul. What is inside my mind rarely comes to light. Now, I have to say the computer is a gift. It is my only link to most people. That is why when my father felt safe abusing me, he thought that his evil deeds would be sealed forever. No. I exposed him for what he was. The damage is done, and the trauma is overwith. Life goes on.
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2010, 01:27 AM   #46
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew, Jr. View Post

The invisible disabilities are the ones that society, and the general public tend to ignore. If you can't see it, then it isn't there kind of attitude. Growing up in the 60's it was the same. If you can't see it, it is not there. Kids were just passed along to get them out of their classroom. That is what happened to me. It didn't matter if I understood the work or not. It didn't matter if I did the homework or not. Nothing mattered. I didn't matter. I was taking up space. That is how I see it. And that is how it felt to me to grow up with learning disabilities, and neurological disorders. I was given a label, and judged. Nobody took the time to find out what the problem was. Not a soul. What is inside my mind rarely comes to light. Now, I have to say the computer is a gift. It is my only link to most people. That is why when my father felt safe abusing me, he thought that his evil deeds would be sealed forever. No. I exposed him for what he was. The damage is done, and the trauma is overwith. Life goes on.

Andrew, thank you. Invisible disabilities are so misunderstood and marginalized. Your description of how the school system failed you is the story of so many people that go on for years not knowing what the hell is wrong. And getting any help. Anything neurological and in the learning disabilities areas remains cruelly neglected.

What you bring up about people not recognizing how someone could be differently-abled just because there is no outward physical indication happens continually and causes a lot of pain.

When I saw the thread here about neuro-diversity, I was so jazzed because I saw people empowering themselves by saying we are here, and if you want to understand us.... here it is...
The Following User Says Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2010, 01:15 PM   #47
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

If anyone has any insights into dating and dealing with having a disability.. please post!

I re-entered dating not only as an older butch, but with my arthritis now resulting in different limitations concerning chronic pain. I am finding this too really be a factor in my selection of who I ask out. The major shift is about once being a very physically active woman and enjoying sharing this with a partner/person I am seeing and now just not being able to. And my disabilities are not always visible. Its like I present as this athletic-bodied person and know I have to be honest about how and what I really can do. Often, the person I am wanting to date (or am dating) can't deal with this discrepancy... or, just can't belive it.

It can be very telling when I initially meet someone in a fairly pain-free state without a lot of stiffness or the fevers, fatigue, puffiness, flu-like symptoms of RA and when the osterarthritis is being nice to me- then see them while not moving so well! It is obvious that the possible attraction lights are in fade mode.

I know there is still some self-denial going on, yet listening to my pain/body is essential for my well-being. But, I find myself struggling with this along with all the other dating stuff that comes up. JeepSakes, as if it isn't difficult as it is!
Old 04-09-2010, 04:17 PM   #48
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Smile

AtLastHome,

Be honest, and open with your date. Tell her that you are stiff, and hurting, and not up for a game of tennis or golf. How about going to a movie instead? Communication is key. Be positive. Take your meds. Maintain a healthy diet. Stress and worries add years onto your life and how you feel. Don't make mountains out of ant hills. You know what I mean?

I just struggle with oral communication. Words tangle me up. Sometimes it is best to just hold hands and snuggle or to go out on a picnic overlooking water or a stream.

I wish you luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2010, 01:07 PM   #49
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums
Default Re-Posting.....

Able-bodied privilege checklist:

This list is based on Peggy McIntosh’s article on white privilege. These dynamics are but a few examples of the privilege which able-bodied people have.

On a daily basis as an able-bodied person…

1. I can easily arrange to be in the company of people of my physical ability.

NO

2. If I need to move, I can easily be assured of purchasing housing I can get access to easily - accessibility is one thing I do not need to make a special point of looking for.

NO

3. I can be assured that my entire neighborhood will be accessible to me.

NO NO NO

4. I can assume that I can go shopping alone, and they will always have appropriate accommodations to make this experience hassle-free.

HELL NO

5. I can turn on the television or open a newspaper and see people of my physical ability represented.

NOPE

6. When I learned about history, people of my physical ability were well represented.

NON-EXISTENT

7. I was given curricular material which showed people like me as a role model.

NO

8. I can be assured that assumptions about my mental capabilities will not be made based on my physical status.

OH HELL NO

9. I can swear, dress sloppily, or even be in a bad mood without people attributing it to my physical disability.

NOPE

10. I can do well in challenging situations very often without being told what an inspiration I must be to other able-bodied people.

THAT KIND OF PANDERING MAKES ME BARF

11. I have been asked to speak for all physically challenged people.

UH NO, BUT I HAVE PIPED UP TO ADVOCATE FOR MYSELF AND OTHERS

12. Almost always, when asking to speak to the person in charge, will find someone of the same physical status.

NO, AND VERY UNLIKELY TO EVER FIND THAT

13. I can buy posters, postcards, picture books, greeting cards, dolls, toys, children’s magazines featuring people of the same physical status.

HAHA NOT IN THIS SPHERE

14. I can take a job with an affirmative action employer without having someone suspect I got my job because of my disability.

I COULDN'T EVEN GET AN INTERVIEW, LET ALONE A JOB

15. If I am fired, not given a raise, or not hired, I do not have to question whether it had anything to do with my appearing physically incompetent..

DOES NOT APPLY

Addition:

I can be assured that assumptions about my sexuality and sexual needs and desires as well will not be made based on my physical status.

NO, IT IS ASSUMED I HAVE NO SEXUALITY, NO SEXUAL NEEDS, NO DESIRES, AND NEVER WILL.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2010, 03:11 PM   #50
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

1. I can easily arrange to be in the company of people of my physical ability.

Sometimes. It's getting better.

2. If I need to move, I can easily be assured of purchasing housing I can get access to easily - accessibility is one thing I do not need to make a special point of looking for.

Yes.

3. I can be assured that my entire neighborhood will be accessible to me.

Yes.

4. I can assume that I can go shopping alone, and they will always have appropriate accommodations to make this experience hassle-free.

Not always, but often.

5. I can turn on the television or open a newspaper and see people of my physical ability represented.

Yes, though not as much as I'd like.

6. When I learned about history, people of my physical ability were well represented.

It's hard to say.

7. I was given curricular material which showed people like me as a role model.

Yes.

8. I can be assured that assumptions about my mental capabilities will not be made based on my physical status.

It's actually the opposite, unless I need a wheelchair.

9. I can swear, dress sloppily, or even be in a bad mood without people attributing it to my physical disability.

Yes, then they make classist assumptions.

10. I can do well in challenging situations very often without being told what an inspiration I must be to other able-bodied people.

Yes.

11. I have been asked to speak for all physically challenged people.

No.

12. Almost always, when asking to speak to the person in charge, will find someone of the same physical status.

Again, unless I am in my wheel chair, no. But sometimes they do seek out a man.

13. I can buy posters, postcards, picture books, greeting cards, dolls, toys, children’s magazines featuring people of the same physical status.

Yes, but it's a niche market.

14. I can take a job with an affirmative action employer without having someone suspect I got my job because of my disability.

I've not tried.

15. If I am fired, not given a raise, or not hired, I do not have to question whether it had anything to do with my appearing physically incompetent..

I resigned because my different ability was a liability to my company.

Addition:

I can be assured that assumptions about my sexuality and sexual needs and desires as well will not be made based on my physical status.

Honestly? It's not come up as I am pretty up front about everything erasing the need for assumption.

ETA: The HUGE problem I have with the substitution of race for disability in this checklist is that many many disabilities are invisible. These questions seem geared to a population that has highly visible disabilities and/or mobility issues. Which is important of course, but what of those of us who are disabled AND invisible?

Let us look at THOSE as well.

Autoimmune disabilities

• Scleroderma
  • Rheumatoid arthritis
  • Crohn's disease
  • Primary immunodeficiency
  • Lupus
  • Sjögren's syndrome
  • Interstitial cystitis
Chronic pain disabilities

• Fibromyalgia
  • Injuries
  • Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy
  • Arachnoiditis
  • Temporomandibular joint disorder
Dietary disabilities

• Coeliac Disease
  • Diabetes
  • Fructose malabsorption
  • Hypoglycemia
  • Inflammatory bowel disease
  • Metabolic syndrome
  • Lactose Intolerance
  • Lactulose Intolerance
  • Hereditary Fructose Intolerance
  • Irritable Bowel Syndrome
  • Food allergies (the most common are peanut, milk, egg, tree nut, fish, shellfish, soy, and wheat)
  • Ulcerative Colitis
Neurological disabilities

• Multiple Sclerosis
  • Transverse Myelitis
  • Lyme Disease
  • Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease
  • Hyperhidrosis
  • ADHD
  • Autism
  • Asperger syndrome
  • Epilepsy
  • Circadian rhythm sleep disorders
  • Intracranial hypertension
  • Fibromyalgia
  • Brain Injury
  • Dyslexia, dyscalcula, and other specific learning disabilities
Psychiatric disabilities

People with psychiatric disabilities make up a large segment of the invisibly-disabled population covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Examples include:
  • Major depression
  • Bipolar disorder
  • Anxiety disorders
  • Schizophrenia
  • Personality disorders (when discussing mental impairments)

SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2010, 03:37 PM   #51
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFemme View Post

Honestly? It's not come up as I am pretty up front about everything erasing the need for assumption.

ETA: The HUGE problem I have with the substitution of race for disability in this checklist is that many many disabilities are invisible. These questions seem geared to a population that has highly visible disabilities and/or mobility issues. Which is important of course, but what of those of us who are disabled AND invisible?

Let us look at THOSE as well.

Autoimmune disabilities

• Scleroderma
  • Rheumatoid arthritis
  • Crohn's disease
  • Primary immunodeficiency
  • Lupus
  • Sjögren's syndrome
  • Interstitial cystitis
Chronic pain disabilities

• Fibromyalgia
  • Injuries
  • Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy
  • Arachnoiditis
  • Temporomandibular joint disorder
Dietary disabilities

• Coeliac Disease
  • Diabetes
  • Fructose malabsorption
  • Hypoglycemia
  • Inflammatory bowel disease
  • Metabolic syndrome
  • Lactose Intolerance
  • Lactulose Intolerance
  • Hereditary Fructose Intolerance
  • Irritable Bowel Syndrome
  • Food allergies (the most common are peanut, milk, egg, tree nut, fish, shellfish, soy, and wheat)
  • Ulcerative Colitis
Neurological disabilities

• Multiple Sclerosis
  • Transverse Myelitis
  • Lyme Disease
  • Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease
  • Hyperhidrosis
  • ADHD
  • Autism
  • Asperger syndrome
  • Epilepsy
  • Circadian rhythm sleep disorders
  • Intracranial hypertension
  • Fibromyalgia
  • Brain Injury
  • Dyslexia, dyscalcula, and other specific learning disabilities
Psychiatric disabilities

People with psychiatric disabilities make up a large segment of the invisibly-disabled population covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Examples include:
  • Major depression
  • Bipolar disorder
  • Anxiety disorders
  • Schizophrenia
  • Personality disorders (when discussing mental impairments)

My bad..... you are absolutely correct! Although, this checklist is useful to just get people talking.

Growing up with a schizophrenic sister and the cruel, ignorant assumptions people made about her should have brought me to this earlier! It certainly gave me a different take on the world. Also contributed to my professional choices. There is also a great Neurodiversity thread on the Planet...

Last years Butch Voices Conference also had a panel discussion that brought to the forefront some butch-specific struggles with disability that was interesting. Wonder if this will get covered at the Femme Conference this year?