Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 10-24-2012, 09:02 PM   #41
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,170 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2012, 01:44 AM   #42
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,926 Times in 9,907 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

I remember you're forum thread, Martina...
I'm glad you created Music Talk as a forum topic here;
in a way, it kind of reminds me of NPR's Car Talk.

I do love music: Music is my life's blood. It surely is.
Not only do I have an extended background as an
accomplished pianist, but also a small sampling of
singing (vocals, choir, accompaniest, etc).

That was years ago though and although I do still
play the keys, from time to time, I still love to sing;
but not professionally - just for personal pleasure,
I guess one might say. Anyway, over the years,
I have not always liked all music. There are a few
genres of music I can live without and even particular
songs I could live without hearing ever again. For instance,
I am no fan of Melissa Ferrick or her song "Drive." That song
makes me run for the hills (Quick, let's go hunt for moose!). :/

I do have favorites: Blues (SRV, BB King, T-Bone Walker), Jazz (Miles Davis, Thelonius Monk, Sarah Vaughan), Classic Country/Western (Jim Reeves, Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, Conway Twitty,The Statler Bros)...to name a few. I like artists who seem to escape being placed in any one kind of genre too. For example, Meshell N'dgeocello or even Loose Ends (Carl McIntosh).

My heart loves Soul...

Soul is such an expansive list for me that I cannot even possibly condense it to single post that would do service to the love I feel for Soul music.

But, Aretha Franklin tops that list in my world.

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #43
tonaderspeisung

How Do You Identify?:
asleep at the synthesizer
Preferred Pronoun?:
crown prince of dirty disco

Thanked 1,794 Times in 857 Posts
tonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputation

i've been trending to the avant garde lately

i don't know what's more fascinating - the mechanical processes used to create the pieces or the aural visions that birthed them

love this

and this is downright unsettling and captivating at the same time
tonaderspeisung is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tonaderspeisung For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #44
tonaderspeisung

How Do You Identify?:
asleep at the synthesizer
Preferred Pronoun?:
crown prince of dirty disco

Thanked 1,794 Times in 857 Posts
tonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputation

last week ac/dc made their catalog available on itunes

will technology make full length albums impossible on a major label

good news - bad news

any recent releases worth a whole cd?

i could recommend
artist: stars
album: the north

i can see some of the slow and textural deep cuts getting lost in a download the catchy single world and that would be a shame

tonaderspeisung is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tonaderspeisung For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2013, 05:33 AM   #45
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Guess what, Martina?

Have you ever heard of LeRoy Bell? He's a musician from the Seattle area and it just so happens that he'll be in concert at The Aladdin, this Friday.

I happened to accidentally come across him one day, a couple of years ago, while listening to random music videos on YouTube. I like his style or brand of music, although I don't know if a person could actually situate his kind of music in a blues genre or indie or Jazz or even modern day pop genre. What I like about him is that he writes his own music and pens his own lyrics.

Since I discovered him on YouTube, I have since found out that he has recorded some of his music with Robert Lang Studios and that he also appears at The Triple Door on a regular basis (both RLS & TTD are in Seattle). I have yet to buy any of his recordings... mostly because I want to hear him in concert first and also because it's hard to know if I will enjoy most all of his music. I don't do iTunes or MP3s of listen to music other than on a Vinyl disc or on a CD - although I prefer to keep vinyl recordings of music, overall. I know that when I hear him in concert this Friday, I'll have a better idea if I want to splurge and buy a previously recorded CD of music or wait until his new CD comes out or wait to see if he will have an Album of recordings on vinyl. I guess he was on X-factor last fall, but I didn't see it because I don't own a tv (which I miss somedays). I know that he seems like a really nice man who cares about not only the music community in Seattle and other PNW artists; but he also collaborates with other musicians, globally (he was in S. AFrica this past summer promoting a young female artist, recently).

Here's a couple of videos I found of songs I like that he sings. I'm kind of excited to go hear him Friday.... Last time I went to a concert was last summer (actually Fall, Labor Day weekend). I saw Ray LaMontange at The Edgefield: it cost me a small fortune to go, but oh my god, that was a great concert! I hope the LeRoy Bell concert is just as wonderful.

_____ ______
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #46
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Witherow is a band of musicians from the Port Angeles (Wa) whose band members consist of Abby Mae (Wintergrass veteran) and Dillan Witherow (Guitar Master), backed by very talented studio musicians Jason Taylor (bassist) and Adam Bettger (electric guitar).

Having formed as a band in 2012, Witherow's brand of music repertoire is acoustic, Neo Folk Rock. They're going to lay some new tracks down for a future album of music soon, but check out their song from last year: "Falling for Your Heart" -- the intricate crescendos of guitar passages, coupled with soaring vocals by Abby & Dillan, are exceptionally beautiful.

"Crescendo's fall just like a symphony,"
From the song, Falling for Your Heart (Witherow, 2012).

_____ ______
The Following User Says Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #47
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
The LA Weekly has a list of the "20 Worst Hipster Bands," and Arcade Fire and Bon Iver are both on it. So it's not just me.

Here's the whole list in case anyone is interested. When I saw the list originally, I listened again to a Decemberist record I have. No reconsideration for me. I can see that they think they are clever and that that can grate. But I enjoy them a lot.

20 The Black Keys
19 TV On The Radio
18 Sleigh Bells
17 fun.
16 MGMT
15 Death Cab For Cutie
14 Wavves
13 The Decemberists
12 Pomplamoose
11 Edward Sharpe And The Magnetic Zeros
10 White Rabbits
09 Beach House
08 The Airborne Toxic Event
07 Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti
06 Beirut
05 Grizzly Bear
04 Bright Eyes
03 Arcade Fire
02 tUnE-yArDs
01 Bon Iver
I like a couple of Death Cab for Cutie's songs and the only other band I know on the list is fun. and I don't like them. I'm out of touch with hipster bands and I'm okay with that.

My tastes run more mainstream and top 40. I like the popular classicals. You know, the ones music teachers force their students to learn first and the ones you are likely to hear while on hold or in the elevator. I suppose pop is my main forte. The more bubblegum, the better, although I'm not as up for cheese as I used to be. Opera has that love it/hate it thing and I'm not in the former group. I prefer crossover country to old school.

What I've recently (let's say in the last 3-4 days) listened to is: Sarah Bareilles, Zedd, Cascada, Lady Gaga, Kelly Clarkson, Krewella, and Lil Jon to name a few off the top of my head. Some music I basically only listen to during my workouts and some bands/groups/singers/musicians are staples.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2015, 12:56 AM   #48
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

Even though I was sleepy, I got caught up in the Grammys. Annie Lennox WOKE me up with an amazing performance of "I Put a Spell on You." It was stunning. I could almost not believe it was happening as I watched.

And then Beck won album of the year for Morning Phase. It won best rock album too. It's a great record and deserved to win. How often does that happen in a major category?

Morning Phase is kind of a follow up to Sea Change, a record Beck made 10 years ago, which is a desert island pick for me. Literally top ten. I have listened to it hundreds of times. Morning Phase will never mean that much to me, but it is a beautiful record. I cannot believe it won. Excellence and integrity rewarded. I am shocked and delighted.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:38 PM   #49
CherryWine

How Do You Identify?:
lesbian femme

Thanked 10,096 Times in 2,186 Posts
CherryWine Has the BEST ReputationCherryWine Has the BEST ReputationCherryWine Has the BEST ReputationCherryWine Has the BEST ReputationCherryWine Has the BEST ReputationCherryWine Has the BEST ReputationCherryWine Has the BEST ReputationCherryWine Has the BEST ReputationCherryWine Has the BEST ReputationCherryWine Has the BEST ReputationCherryWine Has the BEST Reputation

You are right, Martina. Annie killed it last night. Here is the video for anyone who missed it and might want to watch.

CherryWine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CherryWine For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2015, 11:27 PM   #50
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

nice 12 minute documentary on willie nelson's guitar

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/vi...igger-20150211
Old 08-26-2015, 11:01 PM   #51
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Hey Martina,

It's been a long time since I have come across anything news worthy, but someone in my small circle of friends, here at home, has an interesting hobby, which is related, interestingly, to music. He's builds race cars by using parts of other well known race cars, which in turn, as it turns out to be, he is friends with ...

Deke Dickerson.

Deke is a well known Rockabilly musician out here on the west coast. Have you ever heard of him?

Deke not only takes old time classic songs and puts his spin on them, but he's also well versed in the origin of stringed instruments (guitars, mandolins, etc) and likes to share his knowledge about such things with rockabilly fans.

Here's a video clip and a sound clip, to check out.

Listen to Struttin' by Nikki Hill and Deke Dickerson with the Bo-Keys by stereocourier #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/stereocourier...nikki-hill-and

Enjoy!

_____ ______
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2017, 09:33 PM   #52
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Default Michael Kiwanuka | Worry Walks Beside Me Everyday

I just love Martina's forum thread Music Talk.... but it's been almost two years, come August, that I've posted here.

SooOooOooo..... recently my bff told me about the HBO show called Big Little Lies, which turned me on to a great artist, who apparently has been around for a long time. Michael Kiwanuka. What a masterful and talented artist.

My data plan renewed today and I've been listening to a lot of his stuff. I actually got stuck listening to the song in the video below. It's called .... Worry Walls Beside Me Everyday. What a powerful ballad. The recording is so acutely tuned to the guitar he plays, to notes on the piano, the artful snare brushing of drums, to the incredibly rich notes on the Hammond b3 organ. His voice is got that particular kind of everyday feel-good feeling, but I know that's never going to be the best description of his voice or vocal range.

The song just takes my breath away.

I love the lyrics, too.

I really, really want to get this recording of his song and whatever other album I can afford to buy. He's that good.

_____ ______
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2020, 08:39 PM   #53
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Default Alice Russell (British Soul Artist)

Years ago, while earning a bachelor's degree, I made friends with an interesting guy who majored in Political History and Sociology. He lived up in the foothills of the Siskiyou mountains and ever so often, we'd get together with other class mates to study certain topics of interest in class, kind of like a round table event, but he hosted it at his house and he usually cooked a fabulous meal and we stayed for hours dining on food and enjoying good company while listening to his library collection of boot-leg taped music concerts.

This friend of mine turned me on to Alice Russell, back around 2006, 2007. My junior and senior year of college.

I don't know if any of you have heard of her, but she has got a serious range of voice and while some people might say she sounds like Adele, I say she's not anything like Adele.

For one, the materials/lyrics she works with are more concerned with social issues, rather than personal issues, although she does sing some songs a long those lines.

What I find both fascinating and refreshing about Alice Russell is the wide range of instruments and styles of soul/jazz/blues type of music that she and her band mates use to make albums of music that I feel is not your ordinary type of British Soul.

I like her stuff. I wish I could share the songs I have on a private CD that my friend burned for me, but here is her YouTube Channel, if any of you want to check out her type of music.

Link to her channel at YouTube: ~~~~>>>>>>> Alice Russell.

Here's a short clip from BBC's coverage of her venue performance for SXSW, back in 2009. Check it out. You might like her.

_____ ______
The Following User Says Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post: