Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > RELATIONSHIPS, COMMUNITY, GROUPS > LGBT Activism, Allies, ETC.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation
Exclamation Donation Call: Ali Forney Center in Chelsea (NYC) destroyed

The Ali Forney Center in Chelsea was completely destroyed by Sandy. For those unaware, this orgnaization provides housing help, support, food and other supportive measures to help LGBTQ youth who live on the street and help them get off the street. It's heartbreaking to think how many youths are being affected by this.

This has particular meaning to me since K worked at one of their centers helping youths. And I know of some of the members of the GID support group I was part of received help from AF. I'm sure they'd appreciate any help at all.

http://www.aliforneycenter.org/index...icipantID=1624

http://www.aliforneycenter.org/index...s.page&id=1101

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
CherylNYC

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm a woman. Behave accordingly.
Relationship Status:
Single, not looking.

Thanked 7,151 Times in 1,206 Posts
CherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST Reputation

Thank you for posting this. The Ali Forney Center does wonderful work with LGBT youth here in NYC. Their loss is heartbreaking, but their story has gone viral. There have been many donations so far. If it continues I think they will have the funds to rebuild.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylNYC View Post
Thank you for posting this. The Ali Forney Center does wonderful work with LGBT youth here in NYC. Their loss is heartbreaking, but their story has gone viral. There have been many donations so far. If it continues I think they will have the funds to rebuild.

And they will need donations beyond recovery of Sandy so more couldn't hurt...

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #4
Tommi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Usually "Hello"
Relationship Status:
Married and Bound to Tommi's kaijira (Ts_kaijira )

1 Highscore

Location: Suthun.... California that is. Across the ridge from Laguna Beach.
Thanked 21,338 Times in 5,968 Posts
Tommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Once homeless and hurting....

News of the Center being demolished was received here in Los Angles through our Gay and Lesbian Center....

Dear Tommi,

I received some devastating news from a sister organization in New York City, the Ali Forney Center (AFC), which offers LGBT youth a lifeline and many of the same essential services we offer at our Youth Center on Highland.

Just half a block from the Hudson River on 22nd Street, AFC’s facilities were demolished when Hurricane Sandy pushed flood waters four feet high, destroying phones, computers, food, and supplies. Below is a message from AFC’s Executive Director Carl Siciliano about the devastation.

As a supporter of the L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center, you know there are thousands of homeless LGBT youth on the streets of L.A. who don’t have a family they can count on or a home for the holidays. Imagine if they didn’t have our Youth Center on Highland for free hot meals, fresh clothes, a warm shower, help getting a job and so much more. That’s what it’s like for many homeless LGBT youth in New York now. So if you can, please support AFC and the homeless youth in our nation’s largest city.

On behalf of our friends in New York and the many young people they serve, thank you for your generous gift.

Lorri L. Jean
C.E.O.
GAY and Lesbian Center
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.lagaycenter.org Donate : LA Center website

Dear Friends,

On Friday we were finally able to inspect our drop-in center in Chelsea, half a block from the Hudson River. Our worst fears were realized; everything was destroyed and the space is uninhabitable. The water level went four feet high, destroying our phones, computers, refrigerator, food and supplies.

This is a terrible tragedy for the homeless LGBT youth we serve there. This space was dedicated to our most vulnerable kids, the thousands stranded on the streets without shelter, and was a place where they received food, showers, clothing, medical care, HIV testing and treatment, and mental health and substance abuse services. Basically a lifeline for LGBT kids whose lives are in danger.

We are currently scrambling for a plan to provide care to these desperate kids while we prepare to ultimately move into a larger space that will better meet our needs. The NYC LGBT Center has very kindly and generously offered to let us temporarily use some of their space, and we hope to determine the viability of that on Monday. Also, I am especially thankful that none of our housing sites were affected by the hurricane and that none of our clients or staff were injured by the storm.

It is heartbreaking to see this space come to such a sad end. For the past seven years it has been a place of refuge to thousands of kids reeling from being thrown away by their parents for being LGBT. For many of these kids coming to our drop-in center provided their first encounter with a loving and affirming LGBT community.

I thank all of you for your care and support in a most difficult time.

Carl Siciliano
Executive Director
Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tommi For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #5
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,551 Times in 1,456 Posts
Sun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST Reputation

Tommi

Thanks for posting this. Do you know if they found a temporary space to operate out of?

I am going to check around online but thought I would see what you know.

“Lovers don't finally meet somewhere. They're in each other all along.”
― Rumi

Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post: