Old 04-22-2010, 10:59 AM   #61
The Oopster

How Do You Identify?:
transgender male
Preferred Pronoun?:
he

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,655 Times in 759 Posts
The Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST Reputation

Even though some stuff will be old hat for me I really appreciate everybody's input. 1) there are some things I maybe wouldn't have thought of like putting my grabbers in an accessible spot 2) Hopefully other people will learn what they need to know from this thread and I may now how to do something but i'm guessing most people having top surgery haven't had the number of surgeries I have had.

I'm really grateful for having those surgeries though because setting stuff up has just come naturally. It is so different to be doing it while I feel well. Usually I'm preparing for surgery when my pain level is at its max

One thing others might find helpful that my friend mentioned last night is the drains are messy so be prepared to have a possible mess in the bed. I'm fortunate or unfortunate to be sleeping alone so I don't have to worry about another person. I actually have the type of mats they use in the hospital and a water proof cover over my mattres so those will help protect my sheets and mattress

Again surgery experience has given me the gift of throwing up on myself and well lets just say i'm not the best at using a bed pan while flat on my back. So i'm use to gross stuff
The Oopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:04 PM   #62
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation
Default Oopster

I know this is a bit of a derail but I know I will be haveig neck and back surgery to have disk spacers put in or some other such stuff like it dome.This scares the bejeasus outta me.If u dont mind can u give me some ball park idea what im going to deal with.I live with my son so he shure isnt going to be much help as a nurse,lord knows the only cooking he dose is tv dinners.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:04 PM   #63
Goofy

How Do You Identify?:
Cheesecake Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
I'm blushing

Goofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST Reputation

First off Koop, congrats!

I took Arnica before and for a couple of days after my surgery and had very little bruising too. I've seen pics of some pretty bad bruising too, and really think the arnica helped me.

Arwen mentioned the drains. Holy cow, is she right! I had my drains in for about a week, if I remember right. There is no way in hell I would have been able to do that by myself. The position of them alone would have made them difficult to deal with even if I hadn't just had surgery.

And something that I realized after Arwen left, that caused me much dismay...the microwave in my apartment was over the stove. I couldn't reach up to put anything in it or get anything out of it. Pans were just too heavy, even empty.

I didn't sleep in my bed for about a month after my surgery. Thinker mentioned the pressure of bending over at the waist...it was sort of the same thing for me, but in reverse. Plus I generally sleep on my side and that was totally out of the question for awhile. I covered my recliner in an old bed sheet in case the drains did leak (which they did, a bit) and slept there for awhile.

Good luck Oopster, I'm excited for you!
Goofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:34 PM   #64
The Oopster

How Do You Identify?:
transgender male
Preferred Pronoun?:
he

2 Highscores

The Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy View Post
First off Koop, congrats!

I took Arnica before and for a couple of days after my surgery and had very little bruising too. I've seen pics of some pretty bad bruising too, and really think the arnica helped me.

Arwen mentioned the drains. Holy cow, is she right! I had my drains in for about a week, if I remember right. There is no way in hell I would have been able to do that by myself. The position of them alone would have made them difficult to deal with even if I hadn't just had surgery.

And something that I realized after Arwen left, that caused me much dismay...the microwave in my apartment was over the stove. I couldn't reach up to put anything in it or get anything out of it. Pans were just too heavy, even empty.

I didn't sleep in my bed for about a month after my surgery. Thinker mentioned the pressure of bending over at the waist...it was sort of the same thing for me, but in reverse. Plus I generally sleep on my side and that was totally out of the question for awhile. I covered my recliner in an old bed sheet in case the drains did leak (which they did, a bit) and slept there for awhile.

Good luck Oopster, I'm excited for you!

Thanks Goofy!

Thanks i have a recliner if needed ... bought myself a nice lazy boy for my last neck surgery.

Microwave is already at a good level... just normally i would have troubles with one up high.

I'll have people in place for the drains, although I still may not have them. Like I said he will only put them in if he really thinks they are absolutely necessary otherwise he prefers to remove any fluid via a needle. Less chance of infection.

Honestly can see how the arnica would work. It's really hard to get my veins so whenever they take blood I end up bruised from all the digging. Today I've literally been watching the bruises disappear before my eyes. The smaller bruises from monday are completely gone. And the one that would be there normally a week minimum could be gone tomorrow. IT's been a trip to watch my arm today
Old 04-23-2010, 03:51 PM   #65
The Oopster

How Do You Identify?:
transgender male
Preferred Pronoun?:
he

2 Highscores

How often do the tubes need to be cleaned? So in case I do have them I can tentatively arrange for help.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:07 PM   #66
Goofy

How Do You Identify?:
Cheesecake Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
I'm blushing

Goofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oopster View Post
How often do the tubes need to be cleaned? So in case I do have them I can tentatively arrange for help.
I think it was about 3 or 4 times a day. But I also seem to remember it being somewhat dependent on the volume of fluid that was draining. Sorry Koop, my memory's a bit fuzzy on the specifics.
Goofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:10 PM   #67
Alpha Dog

How Do You Identify?:
XXX

Alpha Dog Has the BEST ReputationAlpha Dog Has the BEST ReputationAlpha Dog Has the BEST ReputationAlpha Dog Has the BEST ReputationAlpha Dog Has the BEST ReputationAlpha Dog Has the BEST ReputationAlpha Dog Has the BEST ReputationAlpha Dog Has the BEST ReputationAlpha Dog Has the BEST ReputationAlpha Dog Has the BEST ReputationAlpha Dog Has the BEST Reputation

Since my surgery was more recent I have all my notes still;

Drains: Empty drains at least every 6 hours and more often as needed for the first 24 hours. After this empty the drains when they become half full. Do not expect the drainage to be equal on both sides; that is rare.

and

I did get a list of things to stop taking 2 weeks prior to surgery; aspirin, alka seltzer,BC powder, ecotrin,excendrin x-strength,backache reliever, analgesic caplets and 1 week prior advil,aleve,motrin,ibuprofen,nuprin and other products to avoid that increase bleeding; alcohol,anaprox,darvon,dristan,ginger,garlic,green tea, ginko biloba,ginseng,sine-aid are the most common.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:39 PM   #68
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,132 Times in 6,414 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Thanks Goofy!

Thanks i have a recliner if needed ... bought myself a nice lazy boy for my last neck surgery.

Microwave is already at a good level... just normally i would have troubles with one up high.

I'll have people in place for the drains, although I still may not have them. Like I said he will only put them in if he really thinks they are absolutely necessary otherwise he prefers to remove any fluid via a needle. Less chance of infection.

Honestly can see how the arnica would work. It's really hard to get my veins so whenever they take blood I end up bruised from all the digging. Today I've literally been watching the bruises disappear before my eyes. The smaller bruises from monday are completely gone. And the one that would be there normally a week minimum could be gone tomorrow. IT's been a trip to watch my arm today

On the microwave, make sure you don't have to reach higher than your belly to get into and out of it. Don't cook "heavy" as in weight foods. I tried to think of things before I left but missed that one. I felt awful 'cause Conner was REALLY hungry when he called me to tell me about the food in the microwave that he couldn't get down.

I drained the drains based on levels. The first 2-3 days it was about 3-4 hours I think and then tapered off a lot. If someone has a weak stomach, don't ask them to do it. They'll make it worse.

And for Gods sake make sure they steady the line at the incision BEFORE draining. I did that to Conner once by accident. Felt awful to hurt him that way.

Here's hoping you don't have to do the drains but if you do, just get someone who won't be a wuss. (I actually was worried I would be a wuss.)

Oh, get extra no-stick tape and cotton pads BEFORE the surgery. They will not give you enough. Get some tongue depressors too because they are awesome for smearing stuff on the areas.

One thing that helped Conner a lot was getting some big water jugs for the fridge. He drank a buttload of water.
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:55 AM   #69
The Oopster

How Do You Identify?:
transgender male
Preferred Pronoun?:
he

2 Highscores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen View Post

On the microwave, make sure you don't have to reach higher than your belly to get into and out of it. Don't cook "heavy" as in weight foods. I tried to think of things before I left but missed that one. I felt awful 'cause Conner was REALLY hungry when he called me to tell me about the food in the microwave that he couldn't get down.

The rotating tray in microwave is at belly button level!

Don't plan on cooking a

Quote:
I drained the drains based on levels. The first 2-3 days it was about 3-4 hours I think and then tapered off a lot. If someone has a weak stomach, don't ask them to do it. They'll make it worse.
Goin to try to call the person tomorrow that is suppose to go with me to find out what is grossometer is
Quote:
Here's hoping you don't have to do the drains but if you do, just get someone who won't be a wuss. (I actually was worried I would be a wuss.)
I really hope not. I really got the impression that it would be more likely that I wouldn't. When I asked about it just felt like he only does it if there's a lot. I'm not as worried about the gross factor and the pain in the neck part of the tubes, it's just having an added source of risk of infection. If he can do it via a needle I say go for it. I go back in at 10 am the next day.

Quote:
Oh, get extra no-stick tape and cotton pads BEFORE the surgery. They will not give you enough. Get some tongue depressors too because they are awesome for smearing stuff on the areas.
Will add to the list
Quote:
One thing that helped Conner a lot was getting some big water jugs for the fridge. He drank a buttload of water.

I have a speciall water filter i already drink around a gallon a day.

Thanks hun for all the tidbits
Old 04-24-2010, 04:11 PM   #70
The Oopster

How Do You Identify?:
transgender male
Preferred Pronoun?:
he

2 Highscores

Default ?

would it be hard to have an arm in a sling?

I have a few places I will go after surgery where the people don't always think, plus everyone doesn't know me. There is a lot of shaking hands and possibility of being bumped into. I can isolate myself some from the crowd, but someone there suggested I put my arm in a sling, as a caution sign. Something that would get there attention to be careful around me.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Oopster For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2010, 01:00 PM   #71
Thinker

How Do You Identify?:
transman
Preferred Pronoun?:
male

Thanked 4,133 Times in 1,079 Posts
Thinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
would it be hard to have an arm in a sling?

I have a few places I will go after surgery where the people don't always think, plus everyone doesn't know me. There is a lot of shaking hands and possibility of being bumped into. I can isolate myself some from the crowd, but someone there suggested I put my arm in a sling, as a caution sign. Something that would get there attention to be careful around me.
It seems like it would work out okay, but I certainly don't know for sure. Try it out for a few hours at home the day before an event and see how you feel.

On another note...

I'm so freakin' excited for you!!!!! It's almost time!
Old 04-27-2010, 01:16 PM   #72
The Oopster

How Do You Identify?:
transgender male
Preferred Pronoun?:
he

2 Highscores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinker View Post
It seems like it would work out okay, but I certainly don't know for sure. Try it out for a few hours at home the day before an event and see how you feel.

On another note...

I'm so freakin' excited for you!!!!! It's almost time!
Thanks that's a good idea! Leave it to count down thinker to remember it's coming up! Thanks I'm sort of excited, overwhelmed, and in disbelief all at the same time!

Still got a lot to get done, but I think I'll get there. Bedroom is basically throughly cleaned and accessible. In process of putting bathroon itmes on my dresser. Don't have a lot of counter space in bathroom pluss I don't like to keep my toothbrush out with the toilet.

Got my head buzzed the other day. For other people contemplating surgery, I highly recommend it. I've done it for other surgeries and it's just no maintenance. By the time i'm really feeling to a point that I care about it it's pretty much grown back anyways.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Oopster For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2010, 09:55 PM   #73
Logicaly

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
She is the gamer girl to my gamer boy

Thanked 1,744 Times in 513 Posts
Logicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST Reputation

I'm excited for you and there has been ALOT of great advice in this thread too that I am going to have to put to use when it eventually comes time for my surgery as well!
Logicaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:10 PM   #74
Sam
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 2/11/2011
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
I'll let you know

Sam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Thanks that's a good idea! Leave it to count down thinker to remember it's coming up! Thanks I'm sort of excited, overwhelmed, and in disbelief all at the same time!

Still got a lot to get done, but I think I'll get there. Bedroom is basically throughly cleaned and accessible. In process of putting bathroon itmes on my dresser. Don't have a lot of counter space in bathroom pluss I don't like to keep my toothbrush out with the toilet.

Got my head buzzed the other day. For other people contemplating surgery, I highly recommend it. I've done it for other surgeries and it's just no maintenance. By the time i'm really feeling to a point that I care about it it's pretty much grown back anyways.
good luck, hope it goes well, will keep you in my thoughts
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:01 PM   #75
Thinker

How Do You Identify?:
transman
Preferred Pronoun?:
male

Thanked 4,133 Times in 1,079 Posts
Thinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST Reputation

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow, Koop. And I'll send up prayers for you and the entire surgical team.

Check in when you can and let us know how you are.

Best wishes,
Thinker
Old 04-28-2010, 08:16 PM   #76
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Good luck, Koop! We'll have to talk once I move out there

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:40 PM   #77
NikiNik

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
In a relationship.

NikiNik is on a distinguished road

Koop,
Good luck tomorrow! I will be thinking about you and wishing a speedy recovery! I will keep the doctor and staff in my prayers.I know you have waited a long time for this! I am very excited for you.
NikiNik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:14 PM   #78
Leigh
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, etc
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 13,026 Times in 4,786 Posts
Leigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST Reputation

Very excited for you My friend, good luck
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:22 AM   #79
theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

Thanked 9,856 Times in 2,470 Posts
theoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow, Koop!!

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!! It's really not that bad. It's going to be a lot less hassle than you anticipate. I remember mine was that way. It'll be done and over with in a breeze and you'll be pretty much healed up in a few weeks.

~Theo~
Old 04-29-2010, 12:30 AM   #80
Logicaly

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
She is the gamer girl to my gamer boy

Thanked 1,744 Times in 513 Posts
Logicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST Reputation

Good luck Koop! Will send positive energy your way!
Logicaly is offline   Reply With Quote