Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 03-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #61
ruffryder

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
guy ones
Relationship Status:

Thanked 9,678 Times in 2,875 Posts
ruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputation

when working security metal detectors recently I had to chuckle at people coming up to leave metal objects in the tray on the belt and walk through the detector when they looked confused at what they should be doing. .

After checking bags and purses they would try to proceed with the bag through the screener when it should be left on the belt. Others would leave jewelry on and some cell phones in pocket. I realized not all jewelry and belts would set the detector off and some were safe walking through with it on. Some would leave me everything in their pockets after I notified them just metal. I got gum, candy, papers.. hehe.
ruffryder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ruffryder For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2012, 10:28 AM   #62
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Thanked 15,248 Times in 3,064 Posts
Andrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST Reputation

Camera air puffers too dangerous to bring on a plane.

http://gizmodo.com/5892099/add-the-giottos-rocket-to-your-list-of-silly-things-banned-by-the-tsa

What we think about and thank about, we bring about!

Today I will treat my body with love and respect.
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #63
ArkansasPiscesGrrl

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her
Relationship Status:
feeling pretty darned blissful right now!

Thanked 3,080 Times in 741 Posts
ArkansasPiscesGrrl Has the BEST ReputationArkansasPiscesGrrl Has the BEST ReputationArkansasPiscesGrrl Has the BEST ReputationArkansasPiscesGrrl Has the BEST ReputationArkansasPiscesGrrl Has the BEST ReputationArkansasPiscesGrrl Has the BEST ReputationArkansasPiscesGrrl Has the BEST ReputationArkansasPiscesGrrl Has the BEST ReputationArkansasPiscesGrrl Has the BEST ReputationArkansasPiscesGrrl Has the BEST ReputationArkansasPiscesGrrl Has the BEST Reputation

I had never had any problems in any of the flights I have been on since 9/11, and had never been patted down until my flight last week from Little Rock. I had gone through the hands-on-my-head body scan (another first for me), and was directed over for a pat down. I was asked if I wanted a private pat down but I just figured there was nothing to worry about so I just had it out in the open. The woman was very polite, told me everything she was going to do. I did ask her why I was flagged for a pat down, she said I had tripped several alarms. (???) Anyway, everything went smoothly, and since I was there so early anyway (I am flying standby on this trip), it really wasn't an inconvenience to me at all. It was kinda interesting, actually!

As for my feelings about the TSA, I agree that they are simply trying to do their job, in keeping us safe. I appreciate them in that aspect completely. I have to fly a couple of times a year, and while not freaked about flying (the only thing I HATE about it is the turbulence!), things that put my mind at ease for safety are certainly appreciated!
ArkansasPiscesGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArkansasPiscesGrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #64
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Andrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasPiscesGrrl View Post
I had never had any problems in any of the flights I have been on since 9/11, and had never been patted down until my flight last week from Little Rock. I had gone through the hands-on-my-head body scan (another first for me), and was directed over for a pat down. I was asked if I wanted a private pat down but I just figured there was nothing to worry about so I just had it out in the open. The woman was very polite, told me everything she was going to do. I did ask her why I was flagged for a pat down, she said I had tripped several alarms. (???) Anyway, everything went smoothly, and since I was there so early anyway (I am flying standby on this trip), it really wasn't an inconvenience to me at all. It was kinda interesting, actually!

As for my feelings about the TSA, I agree that they are simply trying to do their job, in keeping us safe. I appreciate them in that aspect completely. I have to fly a couple of times a year, and while not freaked about flying (the only thing I HATE about it is the turbulence!), things that put my mind at ease for safety are certainly appreciated!
Thank you for responding. I am, however, curious how TSA helps you feel safer. They have not caught a single terrorist nor anyone with ill intent to the airplane, and their failure rate during tests is alarming. Not to mention the chances of another airplane terrorist attack are less than you dying in a car accident.

What is it about TSA that helps you feel safer?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrea For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2012, 07:58 AM   #65
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Default Fun TSA statistics

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Andrea For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2012, 10:50 PM   #66
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

This is a link to TSA's blog immaturely refuting the viral video on how to get anything through the see you nude machines (previously posted):

http://blog.tsa.gov/2012/03/viral-video-about-body-scanners.html

Old 03-13-2012, 11:57 PM   #67
sylvie

How Do You Identify?:
Mr Mtn's babygirl
Preferred Pronoun?:
girly, she
Relationship Status:
fiercely protected ♥

Thanked 7,501 Times in 1,850 Posts
sylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputation

Just flew to Oregon from New Brunswick, Canada.
So flew SJ to Montreal, Montreal to LAX, LAX to Oregon.
Went through the detector just fine, in Montreal i did sound the alarm and my bag went to the side for them to go through, i forgot i had bought a bottle of water once i was through security in Saint John.. He merely took out the bottle of water, gave me a wink of the eye and said "be good" and handed me my bag.

i always worried i would set the alarms off with my piercing, but i didn't.. i got a pat down in LAX ...Honestly, i have had no real issues with any agents in any airports.. i flew to Oregon and back again in October with my 15 year old daughter, and very pleasant each time, got through quickly..

Personally i feel if they pat me down, search my bags, ask me questions, whatever it takes, i'm good with it.. Helps me know they're doing what is necessary to keep it safe, and i see them do the same with others and that makes me feel safe..

my facebook weight loss page:
http://www.facebook.com/asyllyjourney
sylvie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sylvie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #68
foxyshaman

How Do You Identify?:
spiritually minded dirt dog

Thanked 2,593 Times in 663 Posts
foxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputation

I sincerely want to know why I have to show my passport a min. of six times; after I have passed the initial security. It's all in the same freaking area. It is my pet peeve. Seriously. Why?? why??? If I can fly over the US and not have to travel through there, I avoid it. Even if it means paying a bit more for my ticket. Bonkers, it drives me Bonkers.

Muriel Strode
foxyshaman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foxyshaman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #69
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvie View Post
Just flew to Oregon from New Brunswick, Canada.
So flew SJ to Montreal, Montreal to LAX, LAX to Oregon.
Went through the detector just fine, in Montreal i did sound the alarm and my bag went to the side for them to go through, i forgot i had bought a bottle of water once i was through security in Saint John.. He merely took out the bottle of water, gave me a wink of the eye and said "be good" and handed me my bag.

i always worried i would set the alarms off with my piercing, but i didn't.. i got a pat down in LAX ...Honestly, i have had no real issues with any agents in any airports.. i flew to Oregon and back again in October with my 15 year old daughter, and very pleasant each time, got through quickly..

Personally i feel if they pat me down, search my bags, ask me questions, whatever it takes, i'm good with it.. Helps me know they're doing what is necessary to keep it safe, and i see them do the same with others and that makes me feel safe..
Thank you for sharing your experience. It is great that it wasn't unpleasant.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:34 AM   #70
apretty

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
sea shell
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 4,377 Times in 1,015 Posts
apretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputation

On Sunday, I had to release a small, unopened cup of nonfat yogurt and I am still pretty irritated--The TSA agent was gleeful when she grabbed it away from me.

This is why people take shits on drink carts, I'm sure of it.
apretty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apretty For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2012, 10:49 AM   #71
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshaman View Post
I sincerely want to know why I have to show my passport a min. of six times; after I have passed the initial security. It's all in the same freaking area. It is my pet peeve. Seriously. Why?? why??? If I can fly over the US and not have to travel through there, I avoid it. Even if it means paying a bit more for my ticket. Bonkers, it drives me Bonkers.
That is an excellent question. Have you asked anyone that might have the answer?

Old 03-14-2012, 10:52 AM   #72
Queerasfck

How Do You Identify?:
still ballin'
Relationship Status:
Triple X

Thanked 6,497 Times in 1,639 Posts
Queerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST Reputation

A nice TSA guy said he liked my Margaret Cho t-shirt.

But the gal that took away apretty's yogurt was kinda gleeful about it.

Queerasfck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Queerasfck For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #73
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Quote:
Originally Posted by apretty View Post
On Sunday, I had to release a small, unopened cup of nonfat yogurt and I am still pretty irritated--The TSA agent was gleeful when she grabbed it away from me.

This is why people take shits on drink carts, I'm sure of it.
Did you believe the yogurt to be an acceptable, non-terrorist item or did you just forget to take it out of the bag before entering security?

Was your scary yogurt placed inside a container that would protect others if it went off or was it placed in an open garbage can, thereby endangering everyone?

The Following User Says Thank You to Andrea For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #74
foxyshaman

How Do You Identify?:
spiritually minded dirt dog

Thanked 2,593 Times in 663 Posts
foxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
That is an excellent question. Have you asked anyone that might have the answer?
Twice in fact. Each time the same response "policy". The second time I asked and was given the word policy, I responded by asking the agent what the policy was meant to prevent. The agent at that time stated she was unaware of the details. Her body language and facial expressions prevented me from pressing the issue any further.

It is a tricky thing to question 'the authority' in a situation like that. I do not know the ins and outs of what makes a person a 'fly risk'. Or what makes a person suspicious. Or even how far can a bad attitude be taken, can an agents poor mood affect my ability to fly that day? Is there a process to realistically appeal within the time frame of being stopped and your flight leaving?

Sometimes I think it is easier to get frustrated than risk the flight.

Muriel Strode
foxyshaman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foxyshaman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #75
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshaman View Post
It is a tricky thing to question 'the authority' in a situation like that. I do not know the ins and outs of what makes a person a 'fly risk'. Or what makes a person suspicious. Or even how far can a bad attitude be taken, can an agents poor mood affect my ability to fly that day? Is there a process to realistically appeal within the time frame of being stopped and your flight leaving?

Sometimes I think it is easier to get frustrated than risk the flight.

This is absolutely true, and I know there are some pretty bad TSA agents out there....but I've never had a bad experience....and your post made me think of one of the better ones.

It was the first time my son had flown unaccompanied, and I was nervous as can be. He was just barely 13.

I got a gate pass to meet him at the gate, at Orlando....which can have annoying and ridiculous security lines at times and then be empty at others. I planned for plenty of time (I'm always early at the airport), but hit bad traffic and rain on the way, then a long line at the counter to get my gate pass, and then a gigantic line at security.

Then, I see the arrivals board....my son's flight got a tail wind evidently, and is arriving half an hour early.

I have visions of him wandering off the plane, me not there to meet him, and him on his own at the age of 13 in a very large airport.

Naturally, I was anxious and stressed.

I'm sure I exhibited all the signs of a potential problem....impatient, antsy, muttering to myself, visibly agitated. In fact, a female TSA agent approached me and asked me what was wrong. Clearly, this wasn't casual conversation....at this point I was a potential security risk.

I explained my dilemma.

She nodded, and said if I would agree to the backscatter she would get me through quickly so I could meet him at the gate.

I agreed.

She was good to her word - pulling me from the line and sending me through an employee line with a detour to the backscatter machine.

I ran from the other side....arriving just in time to meet him.

I think we need to remember that TSA agents are human...good and bad. If we approach them the way we'd like to be approached, with respect, it generally turns out better.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:40 PM   #76
flirtyokie

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mademoiselle

flirtyokie Has the BEST Reputationflirtyokie Has the BEST Reputationflirtyokie Has the BEST Reputationflirtyokie Has the BEST Reputationflirtyokie Has the BEST Reputationflirtyokie Has the BEST Reputationflirtyokie Has the BEST Reputationflirtyokie Has the BEST Reputationflirtyokie Has the BEST Reputationflirtyokie Has the BEST Reputationflirtyokie Has the BEST Reputation
Lightbulb

My only tip is avoid wearing underwire bras or clothing with metal on it. I've flown quite a bit in the couple years for work (TUL, OKC, SFO, BWI, NWA, ATL, LIT, MSP, etc etc etc...)

I've never had a bad experience as long as I've remembered to pull my liquids out, pull out my computer, wear a sports bra and slip on shoes. If you're bringing any kind of food, just pull it out and put it in its own bin because they're probably going to check it. (If it's in its own bin, it saves them from having to search your whole bag.) Prepare yourself for an extra 5 minutes or so.

Remember, TSA agents (here at least) start around $10 an hour. They're not getting paid enough to deal with all this bullshit, so be nice.
flirtyokie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flirtyokie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2012, 08:51 AM   #77
apretty

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
sea shell
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 4,377 Times in 1,015 Posts
apretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queerasfck View Post
A nice TSA guy said he liked my Margaret Cho t-shirt.

But the gal that took away apretty's yogurt was kinda gleeful about it.

what happened to john shaft!?

i'm always the last to know.
apretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:49 AM   #78
SelfMadeMan

How Do You Identify?:
Transsexual Man
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Married to The Woman of My Dreams <3

Thanked 2,669 Times in 527 Posts
SelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST Reputation

We travel somewhat frequently, and I'm happy to report that I've never had a negative experience with TSA. I know some people have, and it sucks, but I would advise anyone traveling to not go into it thinking negatively, and not to assume all TSA agents are assholes.
SelfMadeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SelfMadeMan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2012, 07:05 AM   #79
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Default Possibly triggering

South Park's take on the TSA.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrea For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2012, 07:25 AM   #80
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303863404577281483630937016.html

A comment as posted on FlyerTalk:
The article includes this lovely quote from the Dear Administrator:

"We can reduce the size of the haystack when we are looking for that one-in-a-billion terrorist," said TSA Administrator John Pistole.

Now, since there are seven billion people on the earth, there are only seven terrorists on the entire planet.

It seems to me that Pistole is squandering a lot of resources by only looking for those seven people at US airports.

Me: All this for seven terrorists?