Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > RELATIONSHIPS, COMMUNITY, GROUPS > Building Community On Butchfemmeplanet.com

Old 12-17-2009, 12:12 PM   #21
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,132 Times in 6,414 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

Rape

"That ticket guy raped me for those tickets."
"I went to ths store and got raped. Did you see those prices."

And ad nauseum.

This is one word that makes me see red. I become so infuriated I need to b e .

It is a hurtful, ugly, nasty word that brings up so much pain.

If I could erase all use of this word other than what it is actually mean for, I would be happy.
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2009, 12:47 PM   #22
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Thanked 15,406 Times in 4,139 Posts
WolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST Reputation

Great topic Medusa. I'm not usually one to use words that hurt others intentionally and rarely swear unless quite angry and provoked at that time. I wasn't raised around it and think there is little use for those words. I will say there is one word that will get me riled up in a heart beat and I will go off on the person that uses it around me. That word would be cunt and writing it here doesn't make me feel good, but if I didn't, you wouldn't know the word.

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage --- Lao Tzo
WolfyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WolfyOne For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2009, 04:11 PM   #23
atomiczombie

How Do You Identify?:
Femmesensual Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His
Relationship Status:
Dating

Thanked 3,221 Times in 757 Posts
atomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen View Post
Rape

"That ticket guy raped me for those tickets."
"I went to ths store and got raped. Did you see those prices."

And ad nauseum.

This is one word that makes me see red. I become so infuriated I need to b e .

It is a hurtful, ugly, nasty word that brings up so much pain.

If I could erase all use of this word other than what it is actually mean for, I would be happy.
I know that Rush Limbaugh uses the term: "bend down and grab the ankles" to describe what the dems do to the republicans. It always irks me when he does that. He is not only implying rape, but also anal sex. While rape is a horrid thing (as someone who has experienced it first hand), the implication that anal sex is something equally horrible is a problem for me. It has homophobic implications as well.
atomiczombie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atomiczombie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2009, 04:52 PM   #24
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,863 Times in 7,834 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

Im so glad we are all having this conversation!

And I just want to say that Wolfy brought up a word that made me think a little harder (thanks Wolfy!)

The word "cunt"..aka the "c" bomb *isnt* problematic for me. I personally ADORE that word. It feels like a reclamation of power to me.
Here is the point that I wanted to make with this thread, there are words that we might use in our vocabulary that feel different to other people. Wolfy gave a great example of how the "c" bomb feels when Wolfy hears it.
I can now be *aware* when I use that word in Wolfy's presense that Wolfy feels differently about that word than I do.

And awareness gives us the ability to make choices. I like that.

Now, here is another thing to think about. It feels to me like there is a difference in using words that are racially, ethnically, or culturally offensive (think "gypped") and using words like "cunt" that may be sexist or misogynistic when describing a woman and people like me who use the word "cunt" to take the power back from the hierarchy that tries to villify or silence me with my own sexuality.

One of those is NEVER ok, one of those is ok (for me) because of how *I* own it. I dont know if this makes any sense here.

Now, do I think that someone could come in and say "Well, I use the word "gyp" because it means that I am owning it differently"? No. I think that a word like that, when used in the context of denigrating an entire group of people, can't be owned by anything except one of those -isms. (or ignorance)

Again, I am SO SO SO glad that we are all talking about this. I think that we can all help each other communicate in more thoughtful ways and ways that make the Planet feel more positive to everyone who comes here. Thank you all so much
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2009, 05:23 PM   #25
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

After sustaining a brain injury and being deemed "mentally incompetent" by the government? I have reclaimed the word "retarded". Rather than having it shoved down our throats by others, some of my fellow brain injury rehabilitation students used it in reference to ourselves. Before somebody else got the chance. When you set your own kitchen on fire 16 times in three months and order the same pizza 23 times in an hour from the local pizza parlor...you have to give yourself permission to laugh at that which is painful. I use the word very sparingly in front of certain company. It is not used in an offensive manner, but perhaps I need to rethink?
SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:25 PM   #26
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,863 Times in 7,834 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFemme View Post
After sustaining a brain injury and being deemed "mentally incompetent" by the government? I have reclaimed the word "retarded". Rather than having it shoved down our throats by others, some of my fellow brain injury rehabilitation students used it in reference to ourselves. Before somebody else got the chance. When you set your own kitchen on fire 16 times in three months and order the same pizza 23 times in an hour from the local pizza parlor...you have to give yourself permission to laugh at that which is painful. I use the word very sparingly in front of certain company. It is not used in an offensive manner, but perhaps I need to rethink?
My love!

I have the same stuff going on around the word "crazy". I am, technically and medically, "crazy" and I have used that word to identify myself in mixed company as a way to show folks that Im ok talking about it. It is an intensely personal thing when it comes to medical stuff (as you well know) and I know that I have been in conversations where people are incredibly uncomfortable asking questions or trying to navigate around my idiosyncrasies. I use the word "crazy" to kinda say "Hey, I have a diagnosis for all of this eccentric stuff." I *identify* with "crazy".

But.

A mental health professional has told me that this word is hurtful to people who dont own it in the same way.

The question sets up a weird dichotomy for me where I put my identity as "crazy" first or those other "crazy" people's feelings. I dont think it has to *be* a dichotomy but Im still learning to navigate that.

In short, I HEAR YOU! YAY!
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:56 PM   #27
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
My love!

I have the same stuff going on around the word "crazy". I am, technically and medically, "crazy" and I have used that word to identify myself in mixed company as a way to show folks that Im ok talking about it. It is an intensely personal thing when it comes to medical stuff (as you well know) and I know that I have been in conversations where people are incredibly uncomfortable asking questions or trying to navigate around my idiosyncrasies. I use the word "crazy" to kinda say "Hey, I have a diagnosis for all of this eccentric stuff." I *identify* with "crazy".

But.

A mental health professional has told me that this word is hurtful to people who dont own it in the same way.

The question sets up a weird dichotomy for me where I put my identity as "crazy" first or those other "crazy" people's feelings. I dont think it has to *be* a dichotomy but Im still learning to navigate that.

Crazy is a word that I use that I've always felt it was okay to use. Of course, as an adult, I see the hurt it can cause others and try not to use it, especially when I'm knowingly in the company of someone who would be hurt by the usage.

But growing up, my mother (paranoid schizophrenic) would use it herself and that gave me a feeling of acceptability with it. I still occasionally say...so and so makes me crazy or this or that is driving me to the brink of insanity. I realize that I'm not 'going mad' or insane or crazy, although...in that moment, my world my feel that way...and I can see that someone who didn't know where I was coming from and my ownership of that word (courtesy of mom) could take it to heart in a most painful way. That's certainly not my goal.

I believe that so many of us speak words and phrases that we may not even know the origin of or exactly how hurtful it may be like we're breathing air. It's everywhere and it's only escalating. The youth that I am surrounded by regularly uses verbage that literally makes me cringe.

I love the AWARENESS of so many issues is being raised here and on this site. It's a beautiful thing to behold.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2009, 07:30 PM   #28
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
My love!

But.

I know YOU get it. What I want to know is how DO we reclaim the epitaths that are commonly used by outsiders to hurt a sub-group? I mean, there is the "Thats so gay" and such. Gay is not a slur any longer. So what about the slurs that runs neck in neck? Psycho? Retarded? Lame?

What of those of us who fit the descriptor? Can we not use it as a tool to just get through the bullshit? Why CAN'T we reclaim the word rather than use them as slurs? I know for me it takes the power of those who use the words as slurs?
SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:08 PM   #29
WILDCAT

How Do You Identify?:
Very PROUD BUTCH LESBIAN!

WILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFemme View Post
I know YOU get it. What I want to know is how DO we reclaim the epitaths that are commonly used by outsiders to hurt a sub-group? I mean, there is the "Thats so gay" and such. Gay is not a slur any longer. So what about the slurs that runs neck in neck? Psycho? Retarded? Lame?

What of those of us who fit the descriptor? Can we not use it as a tool to just get through the bullshit? Why CAN'T we reclaim the word rather than use them as slurs? I know for me it takes the power of those who use the words as slurs?
There is SO much that comes to my mind with this thread, that I have not been able to express. So, I'll just start.

Here.

I think about when I was living in a major city, in a predominantly Black neighborhood where many folks starting referring to each other as "nigga" on the street as an offical greeting at the time - complete with hand grasp and big hug/back pat. There was clearly great pride, and some folks appreciated it, while others clearly did not.

I wouldn't say that to anyone Black. I remember my gay male friends years back reclaiming the word "faggot". I felt, like many of us did... "they could say it, but no one else had better use it". (Like against them.) Then, we start saying "dykes, lesi-humpers", whatever... Don't you say it though. WINK.

Today if you're close to folks, this can be exchanged affectionately back and forth! (Ya bunch of damn queers!! Or, "straight folks", whichever shoe fits... MUST-BE-AWARE-OF-EVERYSINGLEPERSONAND/ORLIFEFORM.)

Don't you think much of this topic concern is so relative to times, political climate and such? Like "Married With Children"... When it first came on, I laughed for probably some of the wrong reasons. I had been conditioned to a certain degree, yes. Then I became politically aware and was appalled at the show. Now, I laugh my butt off at it. I see it now as poking fun of folks - who poke fun of folks... (Like the Archie Bunker show. His show chair is in the Smithsonian for goodness sakes! A racist on the show, but "learning"...?) These shows were "ahead?" of their time and walking a fine "edgy" line. So, did I "regress", or change how I perceive things, what? I know I've changed and changed and grew, but you might not know it, if you don't know my journey.

Speaking of "butts". Songs like lyrics like "I like big butts", or "Fat Bottom Girl" by the group Queen... Offensive? He was a queen, could he write that? Blacks singing about loving large round booties, isn't that a beautiful thing to the women? (While, the white models are anorexic trying to be skin and bone - fucking dying to be "beautiful". That seems "nuts" to me, there I said it! Crazy reference.)

This IS and will be all over the place. Sorry.

Jew-ed and gyp-ed will be offensive as it is referring to a group of people. A culture. Stereotyping. And I don't think with these particular histories: they joke about it amongst each other - or find any fondness with such qualities "inferred". (I'm not sure though, they may joke about it... I wouldn't, but I can't relate and feel thus I have no right. Can't "reclaim" what was never there to begin with for me.)

When I moved back from N.Y.C., ill at that time - and a friend of mine said "so and so was just a fucking cunt"! I nearly fell off the bar stool. That was such a horrible word to me. Now, I occassionally might use it, but verbally disclaim first stating: you know this is NOT a popular word, so it has to be a REALLY bad person for me to think or say such a thing.

But, if we grew up with that word usually being used after a woman was gang raped and [literally] pissed on... and in movies for entertainment! It felt like such a horrible word.

Now, if women amongst theirselves want to have fun and reclaim that word. Is that a problem?

Using the rape word seems terrible to me. I've never used that expression in an anology situation (that I can recall anyway), and didn't even think of it until it was mentioned here. Some folks are even upset that fantasy role playing involves the concept of rape. Consenting adults... Is it wrong or unhealthy? Is it not good to enjoy it? I thought one way back in the day, newly dealing with violence politically in our society against women and now completely different - with regards to consenting adults doing their own thing.

Retarded. Again, one of those words where we had become politically aware to be sensitive and considerate about. Certain folks were called that, even if they simply couldn't talk - with a high IQ. I wouldn't use it, well - my Mom would have threatened us if we did so as kids. However, after a head injury friend said it to me during a phone conversation - I have been freed up here, walking around like "retard's" my special new Tourette's long lost [self included here] friend!
__

Super, even though the things you described a few post back are frigteningly horrific (the fires and such), now - that you're safe and past that period of your life, I found that funnier than hell that you wrote that! Hey, they could have used YOU in the Stone Age as a fire starter! LOL!! Or, "how could you REMEMBER to order a pizza 23 x's"? Ah, ha, ha! I can relate some.

Listen, I was in my local grocery store the other day. I shopped around a bit - it is NOT a pretty picture trust me. (I've wondered before what I must look like as a video short in a store - back and forth, no sense or logic to anything!) Then I thought... "OK I am done here now", and started hunting and hunting up and down the aisles for my basket. Looking repeatedly in the same exacts spots. I often move it around and set it down somewhere - out of harms way for trippers. So, every two minutes I'm flying past the cash register stating, "I can't find my damn basket"!!! Long story short, it was on the egde of the conveyor belt already. I forgot that I had set it down there - and then wondered off for something else (which I often DO). They know me there.
__

Anyway, "intention". Isn't that key, but then what about other folks sensibilities? I guess one person may have to "tone down" in certain forums, while other's have to grow thicker skin? What if a young person IS just learning that "GYPED" came from a stereotype of people - not that is was just a word that meant shorthand slang for "ripped off", spelled "jipped". Intention. Mistakes. I speak out myself when I am not comfortable hearing something. And I apologize if I offend anyone.

I am PISSED right now that things are "QUEER", back in the negative sense of the word - that folks are "gay acting", etc... is not exactly one nice compliment. That the straight kids are using this and it's becoming more and more acceptable. Does it help in ONE way, but hurt in another? Or neither?

If someone's heart is hurt. If folks are still in danger of being hurt physically for who they are... the "Howard Stern Sydrome" needs to stop - or be called out. (What I USED to call the Don Rickles mentality - but, many don't know who that is anymore.) Get a laugh at the joke/expense of others. Insult specialists! Look at how rich it has made Howard to be rude and insulting. Why wouldn't folks think that is cool and want to emulate that?

Right now I have major sundowners! I got up thinking it was Thurs. morning, and wondered how I would make it to tonight's Survivor - the only reality show of interest to me at this time. (Some seasons I like these shows and some I don't watch, or I don't want to get caught up addicted to them - and there are some "big meannies" on some of these shows! We have gotten too used to liking/accepting this negative crap, I feel.) Anyway, then, Rick Sanchez on CNN said, "Larry King up next live at nine". I shot my view to the window and thought, SHIT it is night time 9 o'clock, and I just missed my show!

I didn't even think about the word "crazy" being negative anymore. Old words have new meanings now, right? I joke about it - for myself. But, that has been such a long standard. Someone went "crazy on that guitar or drum solo"! It was a compliment at times! (Like "BAD" is the new "GOOD"!) I've said things like "they only have three burners working", or "dumber than a box of rocks". (And for myself too.) But, I was sensitive when I said these things to others, aware of it. It was usually directed at someone who had hurt someone. (Again, myself included.) SO, intention was perhaps not so "considerate" then? I was human and acted out a bit, in retaliation... in a protective mode(?) Did they have it coming? Is in excusable, forgiveable?

Would I call anyone "retarded", who was - or was someone I did not know, who could be? No. Would I call someone physically challenged, "lame"? No. Have I had lame excuses for things, "yes".

What is/are my point(s)? I don't know...

Sincerely,
WILDCAT

Rock on!
WILDCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WILDCAT For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2009, 11:48 PM   #30
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Thanked 15,406 Times in 4,139 Posts
WolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Im so glad we are all having this conversation!

And I just want to say that Wolfy brought up a word that made me think a little harder (thanks Wolfy!)

The word "cunt"..aka the "c" bomb *isnt* problematic for me. I personally ADORE that word. It feels like a reclamation of power to me.
Here is the point that I wanted to make with this thread, there are words that we might use in our vocabulary that feel different to other people. Wolfy gave a great example of how the "c" bomb feels when Wolfy hears it.
I can now be *aware* when I use that word in Wolfy's presense that Wolfy feels differently about that word than I do.

And awareness gives us the ability to make choices. I like that.

Now, here is another thing to think about. It feels to me like there is a difference in using words that are racially, ethnically, or culturally offensive (think "gypped") and using words like "cunt" that may be sexist or misogynistic when describing a woman and people like me who use the word "cunt" to take the power back from the hierarchy that tries to villify or silence me with my own sexuality.

One of those is NEVER ok, one of those is ok (for me) because of how *I* own it. I dont know if this makes any sense here.

Now, do I think that someone could come in and say "Well, I use the word "gyp" because it means that I am owning it differently"? No. I think that a word like that, when used in the context of denigrating an entire group of people, can't be owned by anything except one of those -isms. (or ignorance)

Again, I am SO SO SO glad that we are all talking about this. I think that we can all help each other communicate in more thoughtful ways and ways that make the Planet feel more positive to everyone who comes here. Thank you all so much
If the word is used pertaining to ones self and you feel good about it, great. I have always thought it vulgar. Growing up in Chicago and having 5 brothers, I heard it spit out of their mouths more ways than I can count. Ignorant is all I can say about a few of my brothers. Some grew up and learned and some never grew up.

Communication is a big part of what's missed in some threads. Once one person takes a sentence or two out of context from the OP's way of thinking, others also tend to jump on the band wagon. I know, I've been guilty of it myself. There are threads many won't go into out of fear.....fear of either being rejected or humiliated. We all have our own opinions and it's ok. It's not ok to jump all over anyone in a thread. The language you use to present yourself is reflected upon you. I want others to always feel comfy here, so I'll do my best to watch how I use my words. We can agree to disagree as long as what we say doesn't come across as flippant.

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage --- Lao Tzo
WolfyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WolfyOne For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2009, 01:09 AM   #31
hippieflowergirl

How Do You Identify?:
~
Preferred Pronoun?:
~
Relationship Status:
~

hippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputation

SNIP...
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDCAT View Post
Speaking of "butts". Songs like lyrics like "I like big butts", or "Fat Bottom Girl" by the group Queen... Offensive? He was a queen, could he write that? Blacks singing about loving large round booties, isn't that a beautiful thing to the women? (While, the white models are anorexic trying to be skin and bone - fucking dying to be "beautiful". That seems "nuts" to me, there I said it! Crazy reference.)
thankyouthankyouthankyou! my sweet round phat ass and i thank you.

next subject. i'm rarely offended by words themselves but rather by their intent. it allows for less restriction and volatility in conversation and artistic expression.

i love the word CUNT. i own the book Cunt. i have a friend who turns the spine of the book around every time she walks by my book case. i want to buy her a copy for the holidays.

i love describing myself as phat or fat or ffat or whatever version of it comes out of my fingertips as i type that day. i dont have a weight problem. it's other people who seem have a problem with weight.

i love the word FUCK. i would use it like punctuation if i hadnt been asked not to by someone who matters to me.

i dont like to say G*DDAMMIT or J*SUS because i dont like to walk all over the belief systems of others. it seems unnecessary.

i am bothered when people say "DONT BE SUCH A GIRL" as if to be a girl could possibly be something one would dislike1

i love saying BUGGER and COCKUP and SHITE because they imbue swearing in Amerika with a different flavor.

i love the word QUEER and use it often in many connotations.

i'm offended when people say THAT'S SO GAY because they never mean it to mean "hey, look at how cool and intensely intelligent that is." or "my how pretty and fresh and delightful." perhaps GAY could be the new N-word?

last summer i wrote a prayer for my altar. this thread brings a specific part of it to mind: I will not lose sight of the fact that my words and actions are meant to be gifts to the world rather than weapons against it.

hippieflowergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hippieflowergirl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2009, 01:45 AM   #32
WILDCAT

How Do You Identify?:
Very PROUD BUTCH LESBIAN!

WILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfyOne View Post
If the word is used pertaining to ones self and you feel good about it, great. I have always thought it vulgar. Growing up in Chicago and having 5 brothers, I heard it spit out of their mouths more ways than I can count. Ignorant is all I can say about a few of my brothers. Some grew up and learned and some never grew up.

Communication is a big part of what's missed in some threads. Once one person takes a sentence or two out of context from the OP's way of thinking, others also tend to jump on the band wagon. I know, I've been guilty of it myself. There are threads many won't go into out of fear.....fear of either being rejected or humiliated. We all have our own opinions and it's ok. It's not ok to jump all over anyone in a thread. The language you use to present yourself is reflected upon you. I want others to always feel comfy here, so I'll do my best to watch how I use my words. We can agree to disagree as long as what we say doesn't come across as flippant.
Wow, this was sad to me. I'm sorry you went through this experience WolfyOne, with your siblings. I can't even imagine.

I always thought the "c" word was vulgar sounding too. It was like the worst thing you could say about a woman. It our area it is still not used - except for my one friend's family! All of the girls there say it. (Think like "Kitty from Gunsmoke", using the highest level of profanity! And ALL quick tempered redheads! FUN!! Now, I am a bit of a redhead, not being "redist" here, Mm-K?)

There were three sisters and ONE brother growing up in our household. IF my brother would have EVER used "any" word like that to/at/for us, there would have been a hole out one of the house walls replicating his exact dimensions.

Places like this with public writing, of course I try to be considerate. Isn't it just common courtesy? Sometimes I am shocked by what I read, AND I also have knee-jerked with the band wagon - that has normally been when someone was not just confused, or not showing they now understand or even care, but actually being downright rude and provocative - seemingly with intent. (WHICH has often kind of proved the point for the "knee-jerk" in the first place and follow up responses. Instigating, so to speak. Target words used with mal-intention.)

But, we are going to make mistakes. It's how we learn and grow! (I know, I always say this kind of stuff!) And everyone is at a different place of personal growth and understanding. I've said this before too - that's just the reality of it all. There are many kind and helpful folks here though.

Some rude ones are "joykill" for me though, I'll admit. The spirit and intention of a brand new thread can be brought down SO QUICKLY. I would get all excited to see something of interest to me - next thing I knew there is someone posting antagonistically somehow. It is hurtful and seems senseless to me. But, "humor" to someone else. Hatred sometimes? Perhaps some of this does make sense to some, well clearly it does - as wars break out for folks taking sides. We usually see these things on what we know are the "hot topics". (And then there's the nasty breakups of course...)

Yes, we also see repeatedly that folks state, "this is why I stay on the fluff and fun threads". I have often considered that myself.

The wars are generally for two different reasons though. Sticking up for someone they know or share the same sentiment(s), OR because someone felt someone was jumped on too harshly. Sometimes in the heat of battle we can't even keep from [distinguishing] that too clearly...

We should be able to write anywhere here without fear. IF someone rips on me publicly in a thread, or writes something "anti" any person, group, culture, etc... folks can and will speak up. That is community. That's not all a bad thing.

The trolls kill me. I finally accepted that this is done on purpose (yeah, it was a true shocker and heart breaker), and now can see the pattern at times. We need to be careful with that here I believe - and not turn on each other when we are in fact being set up to do so. (That's NOT the same thing at all where there is a good debate topic up for discussion.)

Generally, once I am done with someone though... I am "done". Their loss! (I do embrace efforts however to clear up things - for the genuine at heart. I'm a softy that way!) I see there are others like this too.

*There are no easy answers. It IS just good that discussions are taking place like this - especially on a new site. Thanks for that!! (I think I got a little too general and broad here. Oops. Emotional "PMS" disclaimer time! Afraid to submit this now... I know, it's boring... but, I hate to expose my thoughts, I just can't help myself though!)

WILDCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:21 AM   #33
Selenay

How Do You Identify?:
A soul for a compass and a heart for a pair of wings.
Preferred Pronoun?:
All I ask of living is to have no chains on me.
Relationship Status:
All I own are the strides I spend to the finish line.

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,450 Times in 370 Posts
Selenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST Reputation

"Crazy bitch."

You ain't seen crazy til you call me that.
Selenay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Selenay For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2009, 06:19 AM   #34
Lynn

How Do You Identify?:
Unabashed Feminine Lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her, She
Relationship Status:
Married!

Thanked 2,416 Times in 504 Posts
Lynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST Reputation

When I read the title of the thread, I wasn't thinking of specific words, but rather how words are used to demean or dismiss. As Hudson wrote, earlier, "whatever." Being sarcastic, flippant, and dismissive are ways to hurt someone deliberately or thoughtlessly with language. In my view, using language in this way is more offensive than the use of any particular word.

On the subject of specific words, my feelings have changed about certain words, over time. When I came out the first time, in the late 70's, the word queer was not acceptable in my circles. Coming out again, within the past 7 years, I was surprised to hear how the word has been reclaimed. At this point, I love it and use it to describe myself with pride.

I'm fairly desensitized to the use of any word, especially on line, where nuances can be lost. I don't assume that someone has to speak a certain way to avoid offending me. I *do* get offended, but I really won't bother to engage someone about it unless I really give a shit about the person or the subject. I pick my battles. At the same time, I do try to pick my words carefully, to avoid offending as well as to reflect my own meaning and values, and I respect others who do the same.

When someone does find a word to be offensive, I wish they'd just say so, and give the offender a chance to understand and take ownership of how they affected someone else. On a website I'm on, someone recently posted something using the words f#ck and Jesus in the same sentence, which deeply offended another member. She expressed how she felt, the original poster apologized, and that was that. Simple and honest, and considerate. Everyone has a different idea of the meaning of words. Usually, no harm is meant. Things seem to go smoother when you give people the benefit of the doubt.
that love costs all we are
and will ever be.
Yet it is only love
which sets us free.

Maya Angelou

Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:17 AM   #35
MizzSabra

How Do You Identify?:
N/a
Relationship Status:
N/A

MizzSabra Has the BEST ReputationMizzSabra Has the BEST ReputationMizzSabra Has the BEST ReputationMizzSabra Has the BEST ReputationMizzSabra Has the BEST ReputationMizzSabra Has the BEST ReputationMizzSabra Has the BEST ReputationMizzSabra Has the BEST ReputationMizzSabra Has the BEST ReputationMizzSabra Has the BEST ReputationMizzSabra Has the BEST Reputation

I'm sure at some point, on some website, I may have offended someone with my language.

Words I use on a regular basis and don't intend on stopping:
Fuck
Cunt
Wife Beater
Bastard (Yup, my daughter is a bastard)
Cock Sucker (saved for those really special people)
That's so GAY (Hear this more from queers than straights)
Fag (I see/hear it ALL the time in queer circles, as a matter of fact I use it to describe myself)
Fat (ie: I shop at the fat girl store)
Queer
Bitch
Jesus Christ (or some variation thereof)

There are more, but it's early and I haven't had my hot chocolate yet.

I guess we've all been offended at something someone has said at some point in our lives. I don't normally get offended if someone calls me names....whatever. That's their shit to deal with, not mine. It takes much more than someone to call me a bitch or a cunt or a fag to offend me. Usually my response is "thanks and you have a great day too!"

MizzSabra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MizzSabra For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2009, 09:06 AM   #36
Queerasfck

How Do You Identify?:
still ballin'
Relationship Status:
Triple X

Thanked 6,497 Times in 1,639 Posts
Queerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST Reputation
Default O SNAP!

!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzSabra View Post
I'm sure at some point, on some website, I may have offended someone with my language.

Fuck
Cunt
Wife Beater
Fag (I see/hear it ALL the time in queer circles, as a matter of fact I use it to describe myself)
Queer
Bitch

I guess we've all been offended at something someone has said at some point in our lives. I don't normally get offended if someone calls me names....whatever. That's their shit to deal with, not mine. It takes much more than someone to call me a bitch or a cunt or a fag to offend me. Usually my response is "thanks and you have a great day too!"
The only word that really offends Sabra--WALMART!!
Queerasfck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Queerasfck For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2009, 09:10 AM   #37
MizzSabra

How Do You Identify?:
N/a
Relationship Status:
N/A

MizzSabra Has the BEST ReputationMizzSabra Has the BEST ReputationMizzSabra Has the BEST ReputationMizzSabra Has the BEST ReputationMizzSabra Has the BEST ReputationMizzSabra Has the BEST ReputationMizzSabra Has the BEST ReputationMizzSabra Has the BEST ReputationMizzSabra Has the BEST ReputationMizzSabra Has the BEST ReputationMizzSabra Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzeeTiger View Post
!

The only word that really offends Sabra--WALMART!!
It is true. Walmart sends shivers down my spine.
MizzSabra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MizzSabra For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2009, 09:15 AM   #38
weatherboi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Owned boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey boy!!!
Relationship Status:
counting freckles slowly under Her direction!!!

Thanked 12,560 Times in 2,993 Posts
weatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzSabra View Post

Fuck
Cunt
Wife Beater
Queer
Bitch

I can certainly relate to the bold part of the statement. I usually say the same thing as I am dodging a beer can or a 32oz. styrofoam cup of toothachingly sweet ass iced tea that some redneck threw at me from a truck that sits taller than my house!! LOL

Name calling, and words people choose to use in their vocabulary does not bother me. I do try to watch the words I post because I realize words can be triggers for some folks.
weatherboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:22 AM   #39
apretty

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
sea shell
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 4,377 Times in 1,015 Posts
apretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputation

i don't think i'm going to ever get used to hearing, 'that's so gay'. i cringe. i ask for 'clarification' in the nicest way possible.

i love CUNT. (and PUSSY) and the terms feel empowering/affirming to me. calling someone a C is a lot different than just saying the word, 'cunt' or, referencing my own *flower*, however (plus to refrain would be asking me to give up a lot of my favorite bedroom talk).

i do say the rape-word for situations that wouldn't really be considered *sexual assualt/hate crime*. rethinking that, not that i won't say it in the future but am considering what Arwen posted, here. though, i have to say that i feel like it IS the definition of re-victimization when some hateful little man (rush), uses it as slang. i do feel like *MEN* of power and privilege should NEVER use RAPE, especially not to further their political agenda. (makes me SO mad)

(i listen to howard stern, clearly people are able to listen to howard stern and also be sensitive with regards to language.)
apretty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to apretty For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2009, 10:35 AM   #40
NotAnAverageGuy
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Trans

NotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the roughNotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the roughNotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the roughNotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the rough

I am with Sabra I have my language that I used and don't intend to stop using

I have a huge list of words I use but I shall spare y'all with the horrid list
NotAnAverageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote