Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 10-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #21
Dance-with-me

How Do You Identify?:
Femme

Thanked 1,926 Times in 378 Posts
Dance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST Reputation

I **LOVE** documentaries - if I could only watch one toe of film, it would be docs.

I could list dozens (and will come back and list more) but for now I'll just copy the ones I had listed in my Netflix thread:

~ Praying with Lior. A documentary on a boy who has Down's Syndrome, his delight in and commitment to his Jewish faith, intertwined with the story of his mom's battle with cancer. I may be prejudiced on this one because I knew many of the people in it, but it's still moving and interesting.
~ Been Rich All My Life. Documentary on a group of women who were showgirls in Harlem in the '30s, and their experiences during that time, and their journey towards reuniting on stage as elderly (but still awesome) performers.
~ Saint of 9/11. Documentary about Father Mychal Judge, who was an openly gay priest, chaplain to the NYC fire department, and killed on 9/11.
~ Bela Fleck: Throw Down Your Heart. Documentary on the amazing banjo player Bela Fleck and his travels to Africa to research the early origins of that instrument and play with a lot of local musicians. Fantastic for anyone who loves "world music."
Dance-with-me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dance-with-me For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #22
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
i just watched 'Forks Over Knives'. it's a little dry in places but the info was interesting. it's a comparison of plant based diets to meat-centered/processed food diets. i liked 'Food Inc' and 'Super Size Me' more but i dont think it was a waste of time to watch. i'd give it a 3 out of 5 stars.
I SO VERY MUCH DISAGREE! "Forks over Knives" is an EXCELLENT documentary! In fact, the reason I came into this was to list it as a must see. I like "Tapped" as well (water sources, including the "spring water", you are drinking in that plastic bottle of yours).

For those interested in food docs, including the above two:

http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/foru...ead.php?t=4317

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #23
Katniss

How Do You Identify?:
Dame, doll, twist, dish
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ladylike ones
Relationship Status:

Thanked 10,392 Times in 2,094 Posts
Katniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST Reputation

Great thread! I rarely watch tv but do love a good documentary. Some stand outs for me have been;

1. "Mountains Beyond Mountains" ~Focuses on the work of Dr. Paul Farmer who believes health care is a human right throughout the world. Dr. Farmer started work in Haiti on drug resistant TB and later expanded the successful program to other countries. Focus on global health care and social justice.

2. "The Shape of Water"~ Follows 5 different women from various countries and how they respond to environmental degradation, archaic traditions, lack of economic support and perils of war.

3. "Waiting for Superman"~ Highlights the work of African American educator Geoffrey Canada, charter schools and his Harlem Success Academy and how we are failing our kids in an educational system that is broken.

Katniss~~
Katniss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Katniss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #24
DMW

How Do You Identify?:
FTM/Male (Will 14)
Relationship Status:
Caught An Angel and she doesn't lie!

Thanked 1,857 Times in 614 Posts
DMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST Reputation

I remember watching Tavis Smiley, interview Geoffrey Canada ...seems like a long time ago... That is an incredible story. Amaizing dude. I want to watch the documentary now. Glad they made one about him and the school. The other's sound good too. Love documentaries and PBS. Smithsonian channel. I would have to look up titles of the docs to recall those that i think are worthy of listing.
DMW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DMW For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #25
DMW

How Do You Identify?:
FTM/Male (Will 14)
Relationship Status:
Caught An Angel and she doesn't lie!

Thanked 1,857 Times in 614 Posts
DMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by guihong View Post
Ken Burns' Baseball and The Civil War. Almost anything on PBS. . . The Freedom Riders, last year.
I say....oh f*** yeah...totally! would have listed Freedom Riders
and Ken Burns is awesome.

and the jesus camp is just scary...anything extreme fundamentalist that pushes hate or discrimination is scary

Last edited by DMW; 10-07-2012 at 08:33 PM.
DMW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DMW For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2012, 09:50 PM   #26
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,371 Times in 6,858 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

I loveeee documentaries!!! I have to say, my all time faves are

1. Ken Burn's Civil War

2 honestly...anything by Ken Burns...esp Lewis and Clark....

3 Planet Earth (I think its called that) narrated by Sigourney Weaver....

4. All the Nature shows....

5. I will watch anything to do with history or nature.....
cinnamongrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cinnamongrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #27
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,369 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

This looks good. A documentary on the Reuther brothers.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2012, 11:03 PM   #28
Hollylane
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 26,373 Times in 5,877 Posts
Hollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST Reputation

Everything I already knew...but needed a fresh reminder about...Part of this literally made me burst into tears, a lot of the film made me angry, and some of it made me laugh...

I can honestly say that I have been half ass committed in being a responsible consumer....that changes today...

King Corn:
King Corn is a feature documentary about two friends, one acre of corn, and the subsidized crop that drives our fast-food nation. In the film, Ian Cheney and Curt Ellis, best friends from college on the east coast, move to the heartland to learn where their food comes from. With the help of friendly neighbors, genetically modified seeds, and powerful herbicides, they plant and grow a bumper crop of America’s most-productive, most-subsidized grain on one acre of Iowa soil. But when they try to follow their pile of corn into the food system, what they find raises troubling questions about how we eat—and how we farm.
Hollylane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hollylane For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2012, 01:31 AM   #29
SimpleAlaskanBoy

How Do You Identify?:
Bisexual trans guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Daddy to a sweet daisy.

Thanked 1,010 Times in 295 Posts
SimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST Reputation

I second Praying with Lior.

Dr. Bronner's Magic Soapbox.

Southern Comfort.

I *heart* documentaries!

~SAB

<-----Pocky Jedi

"There's only one rule I know of babies-G-d damn it, you've got to be kind."
-Kurt Vonnegut (G-d Bless You, Mr. Rosewater)
SimpleAlaskanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SimpleAlaskanBoy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #30
Girl_On_Fire

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
On Hiatus

Thanked 2,683 Times in 562 Posts
Girl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST Reputation
The Beautiful Truth

I didn't see this one mentioned. This film talks about The Gerson Miracle for curing cancer. It's an amazing, touching film that explains the truth behind the cause of most illnesses and how to cure them naturally and it's all told through the eyes of a teenager doing a home-school project. Very sobering and eye-opening.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #31
Lasiurus_cinereus

How Do You Identify?:
neither femme nor butch simply as a woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, elle, sie,.... (female pronouns)
Relationship Status:
Not into LDR

Lasiurus_cinereus Has the BEST ReputationLasiurus_cinereus Has the BEST ReputationLasiurus_cinereus Has the BEST ReputationLasiurus_cinereus Has the BEST ReputationLasiurus_cinereus Has the BEST ReputationLasiurus_cinereus Has the BEST ReputationLasiurus_cinereus Has the BEST ReputationLasiurus_cinereus Has the BEST ReputationLasiurus_cinereus Has the BEST ReputationLasiurus_cinereus Has the BEST ReputationLasiurus_cinereus Has the BEST Reputation

Life (BBC TV series) narrated by David Attenborough
actually any BBC documentary narrated by Attenborough suits me just fine!
Lasiurus_cinereus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lasiurus_cinereus For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2012, 07:58 PM   #32
BrutalDaddy

How Do You Identify?:
Her Asshole.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Him, hym, he, whatever.
Relationship Status:
Bitch has no more excuses now.

Thanked 2,785 Times in 499 Posts
BrutalDaddy Has the BEST ReputationBrutalDaddy Has the BEST ReputationBrutalDaddy Has the BEST ReputationBrutalDaddy Has the BEST ReputationBrutalDaddy Has the BEST ReputationBrutalDaddy Has the BEST ReputationBrutalDaddy Has the BEST ReputationBrutalDaddy Has the BEST ReputationBrutalDaddy Has the BEST ReputationBrutalDaddy Has the BEST ReputationBrutalDaddy Has the BEST Reputation

For life of me I can not think of the name of the show but it comes on the Oprah Network, if I'm not mistaken.

Has the asian lady who travels across America doing films about different types of people, culture, religions, etc. I think her name is Lisa Chang?

I have yet to see a single episode I didn't learn something from. Even the ones that make me wanna claw folks eyes out for their ignorance.

Love When Folks Help Me Expand The Noggin,
Brute.
BrutalDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BrutalDaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #33
femmsational

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
bitch, but she will do
Relationship Status:
Spoiled beyond rotten!

Thanked 3,788 Times in 773 Posts
femmsational Has the BEST Reputationfemmsational Has the BEST Reputationfemmsational Has the BEST Reputationfemmsational Has the BEST Reputationfemmsational Has the BEST Reputationfemmsational Has the BEST Reputationfemmsational Has the BEST Reputationfemmsational Has the BEST Reputationfemmsational Has the BEST Reputationfemmsational Has the BEST Reputationfemmsational Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalDyke View Post
For life of me I can not think of the name of the show but it comes on the Oprah Network, if I'm not mistaken.

Has the asian lady who travels across America doing films about different types of people, culture, religions, etc. I think her name is Lisa Chang?

I have yet to see a single episode I didn't learn something from. Even the ones that make me wanna claw folks eyes out for their ignorance.

Love When Folks Help Me Expand The Noggin,
Brute.
I love it when your noggin gets expanded too!!!

I think it's called something like "our america" maybe?

Yes, I'm aware I can't spell, and no, I don't care quite enough to spell check. Sorry!!!
femmsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:10 AM   #34
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,369 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

I just watched a Frontline episode -- aired October 9th. It's about Obama and Romney, and it's super good. It's called The Choice 2012.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #35
Hollylane
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Hollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl_On_Fire View Post
The Beautiful Truth

I didn't see this one mentioned. This film talks about The Gerson Miracle for curing cancer. It's an amazing, touching film that explains the truth behind the cause of most illnesses and how to cure them naturally and it's all told through the eyes of a teenager doing a home-school project. Very sobering and eye-opening.
Thank you! I just found it on Netflix and added it to my instant list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
I just watched a Frontline episode -- aired October 9th. It's about Obama and Romney, and it's super good. It's called The Choice 2012.
This looks interesting...Thank you for the link Martina!

I finally had an opportunity to watch Forks Over Knives...Eyeopening, yet, somehow I think I already knew all of this instinctively. Great film!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hollylane For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2012, 05:26 PM   #36
Hollylane
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

If you're teetering on the edge of becoming a vegan or vegetarian, this documentary is for you...This one was one of several that have tipped the scales for me...I will no longer be eating/using animal products...

Vegucated:

Part sociological experiment and part adventure comedy, Vegucated follows three meat- and cheese-loving New Yorkers who agree to adopt a vegan diet for six weeks. Lured by tales of weight lost and health regained, they begin to uncover the hidden sides of animal agriculture that make them wonder whether solutions offered in films like Food, Inc. go far enough. This entertaining documentary showcases the rapid and at times comedic evolution of three people who discover they can change the world one bite at a time.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hollylane For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #37
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,660 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation
Default The Corporation

The documentary shows the development of the contemporary business corporation, from a legal entity that originated as a government-chartered institution meant to affect specific public functions, to the rise of the modern commercial institution entitled to most of the legal rights of a person.

One theme is its assessment as a "personality", as a result of an 1886 case in the United States Supreme Court in which a statement by Chief Justice Morrison R. Waite led to corporations as "persons" having the same rights as human beings, based on the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution.

Topics addressed include:
- the Business Plot, where in 1933, General Smedley Butler exposed an alleged corporate plot against then U.S. President Franklin Roosevelt; the tragedy of the commons;

-Dwight D. Eisenhower's warning people to beware of the rising military-industrial complex;

-economic externalities;

-suppression of an investigative news story about Bovine Growth Hormone on a Fox News Channel affiliate television station;

-the invention of the soft drink Fanta by the Coca-Cola Company due to the trade embargo on Nazi Germany;

-the alleged role of IBM in the Nazi holocaust (see IBM and the Holocaust);

-the Cochabamba protests of 2000 brought on by the privatization of Bolivia's municipal water supply by the Bechtel Corporation;

- in general themes of corporate social responsibility, the notion of limited liability, the corporation as a psychopath, and the corporation as a person.

- most disturbing to me, how the corporate scientific corporations are "buying" the rights to human and other species genes.

-------------

Best watched in pieces to catch all the overt and covert messaging. Freakin scary stuff when you realize how deeply they are shaping the people we are and the world we live in.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2012, 11:50 PM   #38
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,165 Times in 2,007 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation
Default Lesbian Country Music Star - Chely Wright

Wish Me Away
A personal and intimate look at Chely Wright, the first country music star to come out as openly gay. The documentary charts her pursuit and rise to fame in Nashville, a hidden network of secrets and lies, her emotional unraveling and eventual rebirth.

This documentary is going to premiere on Showtime this Thursday, November 15th, @ 8PM EST/PST.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2012, 02:15 AM   #39
Words

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme submissive
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 4,261 Times in 677 Posts
Words Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST Reputation
Default No Greater Love

Saw this one a couple of nights ago and would highly recommend (absolutely agree with Ishiguro)....

London, England, Nov 30, 2010 / 02:54 am (CNA).- A “breathtaking” film recording the life of Carmelite nuns at a London monastery took the grand prize at the International Festival of Cinema and Religion in Italy.

Director Michael Whyte’s documentary “No Greater Love” examines the cloistered nuns of the monastery of the Most Holy Trinity in Notting Hill. Though centered upon Holy Week, the film covers a year in the life of the monastery and its daily rhythms of Divine Office and work.

The nuns are members of the Discalced Order of Carmelites and live without television, radio or newspapers. They maintain silence throughout the day except for two periods of recreation.

The film follows a year in which one woman professes as a novice and one of the senior nuns dies. The movie is primarily observational but interviews several nuns about their life, their faith, their moments of doubt and their belief in the power of prayer.

Writer Kazuo Ishiguro has said the film “looks breathtaking, like various Dutch Masters come to life.”

The International Jury of the International Festival of Cinema and Religion called the film “beautifully crafted” and “a powerful message for those of us who inhabit fast societies that militate against the possibility of wisdom.”

“No Greater Love” was released in the U.K. on April 9, 2010 and was scheduled to be released in Holland, Belgium and Luxembourg in November. It will be released in France on Dec. 29.

The film’s website is http://www.nogreaterlove.co.uk/.
Words is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Words For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2012, 09:07 AM   #40
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,815 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation
Default Witness

Four documentaries in HBO’s series on photojournalism.

Photographers Amid Chaos

Absolutely riveting (very worth looking for after the series on HBO if you do not have HBO)

By MIKE HALE
Published: November 4, 2012

“Witness: Juarez,” the first in a series of four HBO documentaries about contemporary war photographers, is the visual equivalent of a fast-paced duet, like Mozart for still camera and video camera rather than violin and viola. The photographer Eros Hoagland and the cinematographer Jared Moossy travel the deadly streets of Ciudad Juárez, Mexico, in tandem, and our view jumps between their lenses; their photographs and moving images echo and amplify one another.

The photographer Eros Hoagland is the subject of the first, “Witness: Juarez.”
The half-hour “Juarez,” a bracing, at times mesmerizing introduction to the “Witness” series, a project of the filmmaker Michael Mann and the documentarian David Frankham, who directed three of the films.

Mr. Frankham’s contributions are “Juarez” and “Rio,” about Mr. Hoagland, and “South Sudan,” with the French photojournalist Véronique de Viguerie; Abdallah Omeish directed “Witness: Libya,” which features Michael Christopher Brown.

The subsequent films are each an hour long, and while all have powerful material, particularly the South Sudan chapter.

Mr. Hoagland, a freelancer who works frequently for The New York Times, tracks down the scenes of drug-related murders in Ciudad Juárez with the help of a Mexican photographer, Guillermo Arias, and also embeds with the Mexican police, a practice he defends as “a free ride to a place we couldn’t go alone because we’d be killed.”

He offers practical tips — “You don’t want to arrive too soon, because the gunmen are still going to be there” — as well as philosophical guidelines. After he and Mr. Moossy (who photographed all four documentaries) race to the scene of a shooting and film the victim as he staggers out of his car, calling for help and dying on the street as soldiers and police officers stand by, Mr. Hoagland says: “I wasn’t there to mourn for him. I wasn’t there to console his family. I wasn’t there to — I was there to document it. It’s a piece of history.”

Mr. Hoagland’s comment that getting “too hung up on emotions” would make his work suffer — “I have to use that shield as much as I can” — takes on an extra resonance when you know that his father, John Hoagland, was killed in El Salvador in 1984 while taking photographs for Newsweek. (The photographer played by John Savage in Oliver Stone’s film “Salvador” was based on John Hoagland.)

In “Witness: Libya” Mr. Brown revisits his own direct brush with death: He was wounded by the mortar round that killed his colleagues Tim Hetherington and Chris Hondros in 2011. His chilling narration of the photographers’ movements that day is delivered at the scene, with current shots of blasted buildings and scarred pavement interwoven with videos and photos taken right up to the moment of the blast and in its aftermath.

The overall subject of “Libya” is the chaotic situation there in the wake of the 2011 revolution, with various factions fighting for power and revenge, and the film reflects that chaos. Images like the charred remains of the convoy that carried Col. Muammar el-Qadaffi when he was captured or an ammunition depot where stacked crates of missiles and bombs sit unguarded, are undeniably powerful. But the interviews and scenes of protests and confrontations that take up the bulk of the hour don’t cohere into a persuasive picture of the country’s current condition.

What’s more interesting is to see where the approaches of Mr. Brown and Mr. Hoagland agree or diverge. Both express the view that documenting a crisis is less about capturing the violence than about seeing the life around it — “the whole situation that people are living in,” as Mr. Hoagland puts it. But while Mr. Brown talks about the importance of identifying with his subjects — and is seen dancing with a roomful of Libyan militiamen — Mr. Hoagland reiterates the value of standing apart. “I’m not there to tell you what’s happening,” he says. “I’m there to show you what I saw, what happened to me, and then you can come upon your own conclusions.”

Witness

HBO, Monday nights at 9, Eastern and Pacific times; 8, Central time.

Produced by Blue Light Media and Little Puppet. Michael Mann and David Frankham, executive producers; Eros Hoagland, Michael Christopher Brown and Véronique de Viguerie, photojournalists; Jared Moossy, cinematographer; Antonio Pinto, composer. “Witness: Juarez”: Directed by Mr. Frankham; Ike Martin, Alison Kunzman and Youree Henley, producers. “Witness: Libya”: Directed by Abdallah Omeish; Julie Herrin and Josiah Hooper, producers. “Witness: South Sudan” and “Witness: Rio”: Directed by Mr. Frankham; Mr. Herrin and Mr. Hooper, producers.

A version of this review appeared in print on November 5, 2012, on page C1 of the New York edition of the New York Times, with the headline: Photographers Amid Chaos.

http://tv.nytimes.com/2012/11/05/art...ers.html?_r=1&

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post: