Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Butch. Lesbian. Dyke. Woman. Female.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, of course!
Relationship Status:
Content

Thanked 11,730 Times in 2,432 Posts
Parker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dykeumentary View Post
It felt like I'd joined a secret adventure club! Decoding the bar names, learning which softball leagues to play in, rugby tournaments, the earring placement and language games and nicknames....It seemed more exciting than "googling in isolation" will ever be. I'm glad it's less difficult now.
Yeah - having those conversations when you thought you just might be talking to family but you werent sure so you would say things that only family would understand or catch and then watch their reactions .... lol, good times.

I remember my first gf was in the Navy too and we met while a bunch of us were washing a helicopter - we were both trying to be all nonchalant by saying certain things, mentioning certain bars, etc, both trying to figure out if we were right and the other one was gay while also trying not to tip off anyone who might be listening.

lol, I forgot all about that.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Parker For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #202
starryeyes

How Do You Identify?:
a round peg in a square hole
Preferred Pronoun?:
Guess...
Relationship Status:
Seat taken

Thanked 10,057 Times in 2,078 Posts
starryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputation

<----- Dyke and proud. Yeah, I am not the typical "Dyke" in the mainstream perspective, but it makes it that much more empowering. I am dyke, hear me roar! :-D

Starry
starryeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to starryeyes For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #203
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,366 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

I loved those conversations.

I had one with a trans guy not too long ago. A gay male trans guy, even. lol. He had had a long history as a lesbian, and we talked about the awful women's music we had been subjected to over the years. It was fun.

I miss lesbian culture, but I sure don't miss the music.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2012, 04:03 PM   #204
macele

How Do You Identify?:
a bold-assed maximus
Preferred Pronoun?:
she

Thanked 3,239 Times in 849 Posts
macele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputation

the first time i said to someone else, out loud, hearing my voice say, "i am a lesbian." a burden of sorts had been lifted. felt good. the first time saying, "my girlfriend." the first time i held her hand in public, ... walked, kissed her kiss. whether it happens at 15 or 55, makes you feel like shouting from the rooftops, ... even though you might not need that. these are things that stir emotions, ... thinking back/about. makes me cry even now. big time moments in a lesbians life. least for me they were.
macele is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to macele For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #205
OS Butch

How Do You Identify?:
Butch-BLW
Preferred Pronoun?:
Default-She
Relationship Status:
Closed

Thanked 1,378 Times in 461 Posts
OS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST Reputation

Oh the memories of what I did so many years ago. Did any of you master the art of speaking without using male or female pronouns? That way it was for the other person to assume the other part of "we" was a guy, boyfriend or husband.

Years after I came out, my company made us all take a diversity training class. One of the exercises was to talk without using male /female pronouns.
When It was my turn I told the group that I had done this very thing for way too many years so I would rather not endure it again. You could see the light bulbs turn on! LOL!
OS Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to OS Butch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #206
Parker
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Butch. Lesbian. Dyke. Woman. Female.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, of course!
Relationship Status:
Content

Thanked 11,730 Times in 2,432 Posts
Parker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST Reputation

My first year or so in the Navy, I straight up lied and said "he" - but I tripped over it every single time, so I dont know how I was fooling anyone. lol

I was so paranoid about being found out and dishonorably discharged, that when the lesbian bar I worked at (Partners in SD - I think it lasted all of a year - I was a barback) was up for a few awards at some city-wide gay awards thing (stuff like best bartender, best restaurant, etc) that the mayor was supposed to show up at to do a presentation, I literally hid in the back of the room because I was worried that I would end up on some news clip or part of a sound bite and then everyone would know.

While I was hiding, I saw some gay women and men not just there, but in uniform and right out in the open. It was that night that I felt so pissed off about hiding that I said fuck it, if they find out and kick me out, sobeit and I stopped using gender neutral or male pronouns to hide the fact that my significant other was a woman.

A dude tried to get me kicked out a few years later for supposedly violating DADT, but that's a whole other story. lol
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Parker For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2012, 07:15 PM   #207
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,791 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation
Default Yes, I had mastered the art of non-female/non-male pronouns

I did this for so many years and I did not even risk getting thrown out of the service.

I really hated myself every time that I did it.

As a femme, everyone already assumed that I was straight and I had a ton of excuses as to why I let them believe that.

Underneath it all was probably just as simple as fear of rejection by telling the truth.

I recently posted in the Listening to each other thread that I had another opportunity for a moment of truth and this time, I just told it like it really was/is.

The VP that hired me at my new job asked me during a lunch with the two of us, about dating men. I hesitated just a beat and said, fuck it (to myself): "I don't date men, I date women".

I can't even begin to write how freeing that felt and how glad I am that I did that.

I will never use unambiguous words to describe my sexual orientation or who I date or who I love; ever again.

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2012, 08:43 PM   #208
macele

How Do You Identify?:
a bold-assed maximus
Preferred Pronoun?:
she

Thanked 3,239 Times in 849 Posts
macele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputation

anya, good for you. makes me proud that you are proud lol.
macele is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to macele For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #209
lusciouskiwi

How Do You Identify?:
femme lesbian feminist
Preferred Pronoun?:
Anything except for "aunty"
Relationship Status:
Happy with my butch.

Thanked 9,096 Times in 1,899 Posts
lusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputation
Default bump!!!

One of my uncles (whom I do not like) called me a "fucking dyke" to which I said "thanks, it's the nicest thing you've said to me all day"

I'll think of some more positive stories and share later

Risk! Risk anything! Care no more for the opinions of others, for those voices. Do the hardest thing on earth for you. Act for yourself. Face the truth. Katherine Mansfield

Motivate yourself or be miserable. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice. Wayne Dyer
lusciouskiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lusciouskiwi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2012, 10:17 PM   #210
CherylNYC

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm a woman. Behave accordingly.
Relationship Status:
Single, not looking.

Thanked 7,150 Times in 1,206 Posts
CherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lusciouskiwi View Post
One of my uncles (whom I do not like) called me a "fucking dyke" to which I said "thanks, it's the nicest thing you've said to me all day"

I'll think of some more positive stories and share later
Good one. My closest friend, (who has never been my gf), and I were walking somewhere in NYC when a horrible dooood found himself somehow inconvenienced by our presence. He called us "fucking dykes", too. Since we're both femmes, I suspect he meant it to be an insult, but hadn't thought the implications of what he was really saying all the way through.

We immediately put our arms around each other and my friend said, "You noticed!" with exaggerated appreciation. Then I said, "He's not as stupid as he looks. I guess that extra chromosome hasn't hurt his eyesight."

We would have continued the verbal beat-down, but the dude actually smiled, albeit a little ruefully. New Yorkers like a snappy comeback.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:24 AM   #211
Scottish MacDaddy

How Do You Identify?:
Sapiosexual/Old School Bull Dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
single

Scottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST Reputation

I, myself, have embraced the label of dyke as if it were my very own. I feel like I've earned it.

I've had it hurled at me as an invective from straights and I've had it shouted out at me in unity of who we are.

I've heard it come in low whispers, with a question mark on the end, when I've entered a room of mixed company.

I've heard that particular word used so many times to describe me that yes, I have made it mine. From Baby dyke to Big Daddy dyke. It is mine to wear and display as I feel, when I feel and where I feel.

I am proud of the DYKE I am!!!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein
Scottish MacDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Scottish MacDaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #212
Phyl

How Do You Identify?:
Stone Butch Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Sir. He
Relationship Status:
~☆SOLO☆~

Phyl Has the BEST ReputationPhyl Has the BEST ReputationPhyl Has the BEST ReputationPhyl Has the BEST ReputationPhyl Has the BEST ReputationPhyl Has the BEST ReputationPhyl Has the BEST ReputationPhyl Has the BEST ReputationPhyl Has the BEST ReputationPhyl Has the BEST ReputationPhyl Has the BEST Reputation

I have been call everything. but one thing I know for sure I am Uniquely Artistic. as Im sure all of you are too.
We are helping the world change one name at a time!
Old 04-26-2013, 04:30 AM   #213
~baby~doll~

How Do You Identify?:
femme-bottom, lesbian, queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
feminine ones
Relationship Status:
Leather polyamorous family

Thanked 2,855 Times in 905 Posts
~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation

Die hard dyke. Love it. I love being just that a dyke. Butch works too. Whatever Queer or Sir just don't call me a lady. I have no idea who would do that.
Uh Huh Her
~baby~doll~ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ~baby~doll~ For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2013, 07:47 AM   #214
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,791 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

*bumping this thread*

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2013, 07:05 PM   #215
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation
Default Beautiful pics...click on the link for more!

SHANNON + SEEMA | INDIAN LESBIAN WEDDING | LOS ANGELES, CA.

I have been anticipating this wedding for years now! Shannon and Seema are special to me and I am honored that they chose me to be their wedding photographer. I flew into Los Angeles a few hours before the wedding festivities began. I was greeted by a house full of friends, family and a lot of laughter. It was going to be an exciting day. Beautiful Indian culture, stunning brides & style for miles! Couldn’t ask for more. I have photographed Indian weddings before and I have photographed gay and lesbian weddings before, but never have I ever shot an Indian lesbian wedding. WOW. My heart! There was so much love that consumed the SmogShoppe that evening. Friends and family came pouring in with smiles, hugs and tears… these two are clearly loved and in love. I am writing this blog a month after the wedding and I am proud to say that so much progress has been made in our country with the Supreme Court striking down DOMA (Defense of Marriage Act) and Prop 8 in California! Love wins. ALWAYS. Congrats Shannon & Seema. Love you guys!

Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2013, 11:37 PM   #216
Licious

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 1,974 Times in 546 Posts
Licious Has the BEST ReputationLicious Has the BEST ReputationLicious Has the BEST ReputationLicious Has the BEST ReputationLicious Has the BEST ReputationLicious Has the BEST ReputationLicious Has the BEST ReputationLicious Has the BEST ReputationLicious Has the BEST ReputationLicious Has the BEST ReputationLicious Has the BEST Reputation

Enjoying the thread, subscribing.

Don’t be satisfied with stories, how things have gone with others. Unfold your own myth.

~Rumi

Licious is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Licious For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #217
LeftWriteFemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Daddy's good girl

Thanked 12,321 Times in 5,198 Posts
LeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST ReputationLeftWriteFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Default I couldn't find the thread for Orange is the New Black

Big Boo Wasn't Originally Supposed To Be A Part Of 'Orange Is The New Black' (VIDEO)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...r=Gay%20Voices
Please take a look at my work
Click on flashing smilie to see my website

To look at my Daddy/girl erotica book Click on pompom girl to see Elbows on the Table, Palms Flat
LeftWriteFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LeftWriteFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2015, 02:15 AM   #218
dykeumentary

How Do You Identify?:
butch dyke

Thanked 1,547 Times in 359 Posts
dykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputation

In case you're wondering if any dykes are having fun making silly videos, yes indeed I certainly am. I resist being "market" and prefer to be considered a threat to the status quo.
Here are some links to projects I'm currently working on (all still rough drafts).

Trailer for a video about moving to Provincetown in 1987 as a baby butch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmMX...ature=youtu.be

A Retelling of the genesis story, but with a butch and femme as first humans.
http://youtu.be/EX4rafGWn74

Please support non-mainstream artists!
dykeumentary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dykeumentary For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2015, 07:52 PM   #219
dykeumentary

How Do You Identify?:
butch dyke

dykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputation

Also- please attend a LGBTQ+ film festival or two this summer.
Hollywood doesn't have good roles for women and queers generally becuase they say there "isn't a market." Let's show them there is!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dykeumentary For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2015, 08:01 PM   #220
dykeumentary

How Do You Identify?:
butch dyke

I'm cheering for "Fun Home" tonight to win some Tony awards!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dykeumentary For This Useful Post: