Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 11-12-2009, 11:10 AM   #1
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,131 Times in 6,414 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation
Default Healthy Pets

Let's share things that keep our feathered, furred, finned, scaled and shelled friends healthy.

Got recipes?
Got questions?

I'm not a vet and I don't play one on TV either, but I am an animal lover. Let's talk about what keeps our companion animals healthy!
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2009, 11:12 AM   #2
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation
Default CONFIRMED: Cat with H1N1

From Banfield's newsletter:

On Wednesday, Nov. 4, the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) issued a statement confirming that a cat in Iowa tested positive for the 2009 H1N1 influenza virus. Iowa state officials confirmed that this is the first time a cat has been diagnosed with a strain of influenza.

The cat, which is recovering, is believed to have contracted the virus from a human in the household who had H1N1. There are no indications that the cat passed the virus on to any other Pets or to other people. Prior to this diagnosis, the 2009 H1N1 influenza virus had been found in humans, pigs, birds and ferrets. The virus was confirmed in two ferrets in Nebraska and one in Oregon. There have been no reports of infection in dogs.

As with humans, supportive care is the only treatment available for Pets with this virus. However, if your Pet has a fever, cough/sneeze and nasal discharge and someone in your household has had an influenza-like illness the week prior to the illness of your Pet, you should contact your local Banfield veterinarian.

So this really surprised me. I didn't realize H1N1 had been found in birds and ferrets either.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:10 PM   #3
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,264 Posts
Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen View Post
So this really surprised me. I didn't realize H1N1 had been found in birds and ferrets either.
They call it H1N1 because it is a mutant combination of Swine Flu and Bird Flu, so yes, birds can get it.

I didn't know about ferrets and cats getting it, though.

Thank you for the thread, Arwen!
Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:16 PM   #4
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

My niece makes dog cookies. She shared some with the Del Valle dogs who LOVED them. Here is her recipe.

A*'s Dog Cookies

Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly grease cookie sheet.

Combine:
2 C flour
1 T baking powder
Set aside.

Slowly pour 1 Cup milk into 1 Cup Peanut Butter (Crunchy or Smooth – your dog’s choice). Mix until smooth

Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir until all ingredients are mixed together. Form into a ball and then knead on a LIGHTLY floured surface for a few minutes. Flatten (or roll) out to about ½ inch thickness and cut with cookie cutter (A* uses a tree shaped cookie cutter, but you can use whatever you have on hand).

Place on lightly greased baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until firm to the touch. Store in an airtight container

I think I might be inclined to use a different liquid for the mixing. I'll have to experiment.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:19 PM   #5
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,264 Posts
Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen View Post
I think I might be inclined to use a different liquid for the mixing. I'll have to experiment.
Chicken broth!

Thank you for the recipe; I'll have to try these for Lady after I get my oven fixed.
Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:46 AM   #6
jfreas

How Do You Identify?:
Butch

jfreas is on a distinguished road
Default Grade your dog food!

This is an interesting link- Grade your dog food.

http://zenathepug.blogspot.com/2009/...food-rate.html
jfreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:32 AM   #7
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackhammer View Post
Oh NO

I was just looking at our baby (Sister Amazing Gracie Fabulosa) the other day and wondering if this H1N1 crud could be passed to her.

Not good.
Right now it has not been found in dogs but I'd certainly be cautious.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:22 PM   #8
Darth Denkay

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm good with whatever
Relationship Status:
in love and loved

Darth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Great thread! I imagine I'll be hanging out here quite a bit, figuring out what to do with 4 cats and a dog...
Old 11-12-2009, 10:41 PM   #9
blackboot

How Do You Identify?:
TransgenderMasculineQueer
Preferred Pronoun?:
H with a y
Relationship Status:
fluxing the solder.

1 Highscore

blackboot Has the BEST Reputationblackboot Has the BEST Reputationblackboot Has the BEST Reputationblackboot Has the BEST Reputationblackboot Has the BEST Reputationblackboot Has the BEST Reputationblackboot Has the BEST Reputationblackboot Has the BEST Reputationblackboot Has the BEST Reputationblackboot Has the BEST Reputationblackboot Has the BEST Reputation

I used to own a grooming salon and also sold product. I always cautioned dog owners about the choking danger of solid (not shredded and compressed) rawhide bones with the knots on each end. Those knots easily slide down a dogs' throat and can become lodged. A piece of rawhide can also cause intestinal blockage. I refused to sell these products in my shop. Another common danger is using a choke chain in place of a collar or leaving the choke on unattended.
blackboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:12 AM   #10
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackboot View Post
I used to own a grooming salon and also sold product. I always cautioned dog owners about the choking danger of solid (not shredded and compressed) rawhide bones with the knots on each end. Those knots easily slide down a dogs' throat and can become lodged. A piece of rawhide can also cause intestinal blockage. I refused to sell these products in my shop. Another common danger is using a choke chain in place of a collar or leaving the choke on unattended.
Nod. Choke chains are dangerous. I also owned a grooming salon (I think we talked about this once) but I did not sell product.

One of my clients died from a cow hoof treat. Beautiful Husky.

Best bet with any big chewy treat is to watch your pet. I know it's an easy thing to give them a chew while you are gone, but the things that could happen are myriad. And many of them are fatal.

Hate to be a drag, but better that then losing your pet.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:43 PM   #11
Bohemian Rhapsody

How Do You Identify?:
Stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she,her,princess
Relationship Status:
possibly disillusioned, too stubborn to quit

Bohemian Rhapsody Has the BEST ReputationBohemian Rhapsody Has the BEST ReputationBohemian Rhapsody Has the BEST ReputationBohemian Rhapsody Has the BEST ReputationBohemian Rhapsody Has the BEST ReputationBohemian Rhapsody Has the BEST ReputationBohemian Rhapsody Has the BEST ReputationBohemian Rhapsody Has the BEST ReputationBohemian Rhapsody Has the BEST ReputationBohemian Rhapsody Has the BEST ReputationBohemian Rhapsody Has the BEST Reputation
Default Dog Toy Dangers

I saw in a few earlier posts that someone had mentioned rawhides as being dangerous. I found out the hard way that rope toys are also not the best toys. My miniature daschund, Brutus used to play with them until 4 weeks ago when he had to have emergency surgery to remove the strings from his esophagus and stomach. The strings has lacerated his stomach and throat causing internal bleeding. Scary to say the least. The Vet told me that the only toy she recommends at all are Nylabone products which are made of materials that break into small enough pieces to be swallowed and digested without problems. They are also made of something that is non toxic if it does get swallowed. So thats my take on toy safety. Better safe than sorry.
Bohemian Rhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bohemian Rhapsody For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2010, 08:53 PM   #12
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

It's Boo-Boo the MinPin's birthday today. Oh, and my preggo daughter turns 24. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1392406251
SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:05 PM   #13
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Another danger to look out for if you a dog that loves to chase and retrieve balls- make sure you use the right size. Small balls are a choking hazard for larger breeds. Especially if they are rubber/plastic and get slippery. You really do not want to see what its like to lose a dog to choking!

Also, the tennis balls made for dogs break apart easily and can be ingested in pieces that can cause a blockage. My Frenchie ate a piece of a tennis ball at the park when he was a pup and ended up having emergency blockage surgery. I pick up and throw away tennis ball pieces all the time! What went down easily (and before I coiuld get it) expanded internally. Actually, tennis balls are bad for dog's teeth, they wear them down.

OK. anyone use the joint supplements for cats? I see I can get some via Drs. foster & Smith for my 14 year old cat. Wondering if he'll actually eat it!?
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2010, 06:33 PM   #14
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,621 Times in 3,976 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

I buy my dog stuffed animals all the time at garage sales. In fact, she has inherited all of mine and my daughter's collections of web kinz. No more.I am sorting through her stuff as I pack it. She is only allowed to keep the things manufactured specifically for dogs. Why? Read this....

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/stuffedtoys.asp
Old 03-29-2010, 07:16 PM   #15
Blade
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
TG
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
once in a while someone amazing comes along...and here I am!

Thanked 14,400 Times in 4,049 Posts
Blade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST Reputation

Puppies are susceptible to Parvo and Corona virus. They have maternal antibodies they get from the colostrum (first mothers milk) that protect them from birth until they can form their own antibodies via puppy shots.

Parvo is yes STINKY. It is a smell you will never forget once you smell it. Another thing you will never forget is the look of death. They get so dehydrated that their eyes look to have sunk into the sockets. If you see this likely the pup will be dead in 12-24 hrs. Parvo is well I call it violent. It has violent diarrhea, violent vomiting. Typically you treat the symptoms. Don't force feed or water on the pup, some people do force Gatorade but I don't force anything. Treatment doesn't have to cost a fortune. Ask the vet for something for diarrhea, something for vomiting and a IV bag and line and a few needles. You can IV the pup yourself. Also you can use over the counter stuff for the other symptoms. Rule of thumb, if the pup won't eat or drink offer it raw chicken liver, raw egg or cheese not a lot just a taste if he wont eat after about 3-5 days he's probably gonna die. Though I have seen them come back after 5 days. Also shoot 'em up with B12.

Corona virus is not as violent as Parvo and has a much lower death rate. But you have to be able to recognize which it is, but you treat the symptoms the same. Typically it doesn't last as long either.

Someone mentioned Coccidia. Coccidia is a one celled intestinal parasite. Many believe that most dogs are carriers. I don't know about that, I'm not a scientist.
I do know that you can check on a litter of puppies and go back out in the evening to check on them and they are dead. I treat the bitch for Coccidia and worm her as quick as the last puppy hits the ground. Coccidia can also become active due to stress in puppies. I use to always send my puppies to their new homes with a run of Albon.

Best advice I have is as I use to tell new owners. When you take him home leave him there. The next day the vet is open take him there and have him checked out. I always gave a 10 day health guarantee but only if they had taken it to the vet. Back then it was said that Parvo had a 3 to 10 day gestation period. I figured if the pup got sick in 10 days I should honor that.

For some reason people want to take their new puppy around everywhere. Showing him off and everyone in the world hold him. Remember he's a baby and will get sore from being held and passed around.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blade For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2010, 01:03 PM   #16
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by softness View Post
I buy my dog stuffed animals all the time at garage sales. In fact, she has inherited all of mine and my daughter's collections of web kinz. No more.I am sorting through her stuff as I pack it. She is only allowed to keep the things manufactured specifically for dogs. Why? Read this....

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/stuffedtoys.asp
Smart move!

My dog ate part of a stuffed animal while I was visiting a friend- very dangerous dog and cat toys strewn all over. He ended up with a bacterial infection in his gut and did not pass the stuff for nearly a week. Finally, he threw it up- never did travel down the other way! Lucky he didn't get blocked and need surgery .. again!

Now, when I take him to someone else's house, I ask about pet toys that might be there beforehand. If it isn't a safe environment for him, he doesn't get to go.

I never give him rawhide or even Greenie type chew things (they can expand in the gut). Manufacturers even for pet toys/chews don't really make safe toys/products... they make things that people want to buy!

I'm very careful about toys and chew toys.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote