Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Religion, Spirituality, Mysticism

Old 12-17-2009, 05:19 PM   #21
SFFemmePrincess

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Lesbian Princess
Preferred Pronoun?:
Female Pronouns
Relationship Status:
Single but also non negotiably non monogamous

SFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST Reputation
Default Daily Quote

A Buddist friend of mine posts these daily quotes, so I thought I would repost them here until I find my own through reading.

For today:

Present effects are due to karmic causes from the past. Future effects arise from the causes we make in the present. It is always the present that counts. It is what we do in the present moment that decides our future. Nichiren Buddhism emphasizes that no matter what kind of karmic causes we have made in the past, thro...ugh the causes we make in the present we can achieve a brilliant future. ~Ikeda
SFFemmePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SFFemmePrincess For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2009, 07:36 PM   #22
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Question

I need to ask a question that has been on my mind. I am Roman Catholic. I have been away from organized religion for years (20+). I only recently went back to Church when my sister was dying from cancer.

I have taken on Buddhist principles. Is there a problem or issue with someone taking on both religious belief systems?

Andrew
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:41 PM   #23
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew, Jr. View Post
I need to ask a question that has been on my mind. I am Roman Catholic. I have been away from organized religion for years (20+). I only recently went back to Church when my sister was dying from cancer.

I have taken on Buddhist principles. Is there a problem or issue with someone taking on both religious belief systems?

Andrew

Hey Andrew,

AFAIK, from a buddhist point of view no. In fact, I've seen this quite a lot. Buddhism, in the Western world, is more of a philosophy or guide while something like the RC is more about faith and belief. They can work in tandem -- and, IMO, compliment each other.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2009, 11:00 AM   #24
Dean Thoreau

How Do You Identify?:
Ftm - Male- exfemale
Preferred Pronoun?:
He’s Him
Relationship Status:
Has a gf

Dean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiyesiam View Post
I think an important draw for buddhism is that you can practice the philosophy with out practicing the religion. does that make sense? Like you can take wisdom from the bible ( like: take care of the beam in your own eye instead of worrying about the needle in your neighbors eye, type thing) without actually believing/being a christian.

The Dalai Lama in his book in which he discusses the gospels and the book of matthew.(think it is called matthew, cant remember) .said..do not turn away form your chrisitianity....as it has been with you since you were born.
I found this comforting because; as attracted as I was to buddhism I could not break my ties or my beleifs which are considered christian..so for the past
almost 11 years I have labeled my religiousity as a Christian Buddhist. I practice buddhism but have in my priavate practice comgbined it with those christian beleifs that are deep within me and are the foundation of my life, my faith, and guide my footsteps on this planet..
Old 12-22-2009, 11:34 AM   #25
SFFemmePrincess

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Lesbian Princess
Preferred Pronoun?:
Female Pronouns
Relationship Status:

SFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST Reputation

For Today:

Courage, is not to fear or deny difference; but to respect and strive to understand people of different cultures, and to grow from encounters with them. ~Ikeda
The Following User Says Thank You to SFFemmePrincess For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2009, 11:21 AM   #26
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

For today and the holidays when people need to be reminded of the need to listen and be listened to, to be respectful, to love:

Quote:
Buddhist Prayer for Peace
May all beings everywhere plagued
with sufferings of body and mind
quickly be freed from their illnesses.
May those frightened cease to be afraid,
and may those bound be free.
May the powerless find power,
and may people think of befriending
one another.
May those who find themselves in trackless,
fearful wilderness--
the children, the aged, the unprotected--
be guarded by beneficent celestials,
and may they swiftly attain Buddhahood.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2010, 04:40 AM   #27
SFFemmePrincess

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Lesbian Princess
Preferred Pronoun?:
Female Pronouns
Relationship Status:

These two quotes resonated with me and I wanted to share them. To me, this makes so much sense and is logical...

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions,
even though they have been held in honor
for many generations and in diverse places.
Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it.
Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past.
Do not believe what you yourself have imagined,
persuading yourself that a God inspires you.
Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests.
After examination, believe what you yourself have tested
and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.

Buddha

One of his students asked Buddha, "Are you the messiah?"
"No", answered Buddha.
"Then are you a healer?"
"No", Buddha replied.
"Then are you a teacher?" the student persisted.
"No, I am not a teacher."
"Then what are you?" asked the student, exasperated.
"I am awake", Buddha replied.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SFFemmePrincess For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2010, 11:28 AM   #28
imperfect_cupcake

How Do You Identify?:
feminine dolly dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
Your Grace
Relationship Status:
I put my own care first

Thanked 9,727 Times in 1,613 Posts
imperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputation

I'm more along the lines of Taoist but a lot of taoist philosophy matches up with buddhism. I do enjoy a bit of banter with a buddhist
imperfect_cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:41 AM   #29
key

How Do You Identify?:
androgynous, gender-queer, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
depends on person addressing me
Relationship Status:
merrily single hopefully married one day

key Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default I have enjoyed sitting

But have to admit I don't have that kind of long term discipline. And the Buddhists that I have known are very centered indeed. Love me some Pema Chodron. http://www.pemachodron.org/ However, I get some mixed messages about Buddhism's acceptance (or lack thereof) of homosexuality. Some places I read that we fall under "sexual misconduct" laws of their religion and other places I read that they do not judge us. As someone who grew up under the boot of "hate the sin, love the sinner" Xtianity, this kind of gives me the willies.

Certainly don't want to discourage anyone from walking the path of their choosing, but worry that all religion, even ones without God's can be a minefield of do's and don'ts that is bound to leave someone out.

I guess any door through which we enter, can snag us on it's splinters, we must walk on through to get to (what I believe) is our shared destination.

Sacred communion with all.
key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:14 AM   #30
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by key View Post
But have to admit I don't have that kind of long term discipline. And the Buddhists that I have known are very centered indeed. Love me some Pema Chodron. http://www.pemachodron.org/ However, I get some mixed messages about Buddhism's acceptance (or lack thereof) of homosexuality. Some places I read that we fall under "sexual misconduct" laws of their religion and other places I read that they do not judge us. As someone who grew up under the boot of "hate the sin, love the sinner" Xtianity, this kind of gives me the willies.

Certainly don't want to discourage anyone from walking the path of their choosing, but worry that all religion, even ones without God's can be a minefield of do's and don'ts that is bound to leave someone out.

I guess any door through which we enter, can snag us on it's splinters, we must walk on through to get to (what I believe) is our shared destination.

Sacred communion with all.
The same is true of many religions: depending on the church, temple or group they may be more or less accepting. I have found, personally, Lama Surya Das (Western Lama of the Nyingmapa Dzogchen lineage) teachings and those around to be very accepting and open. I had attended a session with one group and they were very open and had no issue with me being trans.

I think it's a matter of finding one that is open and speaks to your heart and soul.

Namaste.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:40 PM   #31
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

If I am in no way able to bear the pains of the hells, why then don't I give up anger, which is the cause of all that pain? -- Shantideva in The Three Levels of Perception (from More Daily Wisdom)

I have to admit (and perhaps it's an age thing or perhaps its because of the studying I've been doing) but I am getting better about letting anger go. I just started reading Thubten Chodron's Buddhism for Beginners and I was reminded how letting go of "things" (physical or otherwise) lessened suffering and with it, I believe, anger.

Has anyone else found that as well in their path?

Old 02-14-2010, 01:25 AM   #32
T D

How Do You Identify?:
Person of the trans variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Sir, Bro, TD, Stevin
Relationship Status:
On occasion

Thanked 1,123 Times in 310 Posts
T D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
If I am in no way able to bear the pains of the hells, why then don't I give up anger, which is the cause of all that pain? -- Shantideva in The Three Levels of Perception (from More Daily Wisdom)

I have to admit (and perhaps it's an age thing or perhaps its because of the studying I've been doing) but I am getting better about letting anger go. I just started reading Thubten Chodron's Buddhism for Beginners and I was reminded how letting go of "things" (physical or otherwise) lessened suffering and with it, I believe, anger.

I like this, going to look this book up now.

Thanks Linus!!

“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it.
Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.”
T D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:40 AM   #33
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,180 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:

I was thinking it was my age.....as it has been easier and easier for me to purge.....I have too many THINGS....I've been going through Rubbermaid TUBS of stuff, asking myself.....HOW many times have I moved this? Never looking inside to see what it WAS.....and....um...>WHY did I keep this 1994 bill?

I know, right?

But since I've moved to Austin....and I'm [hopfully] not going anywhere until my ashes are floating in the Seine......I have found it empowering to 'let go' of all KINDS of stuff....physical stuff....toxic people.....anger.... regrets.... guilt....

And it has really been empowering, and, at the same time giving me a great deal of peace.

Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diva For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2010, 09:12 PM   #34
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanks to those who added to the conversation.

Diva, I wanted to ask:

Quote:
But since I've moved to Austin....and I'm [hopfully] not going anywhere until my ashes are floating in the Seine......I have found it empowering to 'let go' of all KINDS of stuff....physical stuff....toxic people.....anger.... regrets.... guilt....

And it has really been empowering, and, at the same time giving me a great deal of peace.
Was it the place that helped you let go or a inner decision to let go?

To all: I've been reading slowly so I can absorb it all. I'm into Chapter 8: Karma: The Functioning of Cause and Effect.

Quote:

What is karma? How does it work?

Karma means action, and refers to intentional physical, verbal, or mental actions. These actions leave imprints or seeds upon our mindstreams, and the imprints ripen into our experiences when appropriate conditions come together.

page 59, Buddhism for Beginners
I think that one of the things that is often misunderstood is karma. It is neither good nor bad, it just is. Have you ever considered an action before doing it and what the resultant response will be (either short term or long term), and upon realizing that it may cause more suffering than not decided against it? I try hard and it's my one daily challenge as I tend to think -- too often -- on my feet and not long term from my head.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:03 PM   #35
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

So as I continue down this path, I decided to finally get through The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying. Within the 2nd Chapter something hit home:

Quote:

Perhaps the deepest reason why we are afraid of death is because we do not know who we are. We believe in a personal, unique, and separate identity; but f we dare to examine it, we find that this identity depends entirely on an endless collection of things to prop it up: our name, our "biography", our partners, family, home, job, friends, credit cards ... it is on their fragile and transient support hat we rely for our security. So when they are all taken away, will we have any idea of who we really are?

-- pp16, Tibetan Book of Living and Dying, Sogyal Rinpoche

This made me think of the times we're in and how many people feel angry and loss when they lose their house, job, etc. We have such strong attachments to them because we associate them to our identity, which really they are not. They are things that are part of our daily activities but they are not "us".

I think of myself, as an example, often as Linus the Teacher, Linus the FTM, Linus the Partner of K, Linus the Canadian in the US, Linus the Acadian-by-descent rather than Linus, me. I think I need to work on finding the "me" of all those "beings".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2010, 09:11 AM   #36
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Quote:
We can't induce every other person in the world to immediately become more compassionate, so your primary responsibility is to make your own loving-kindness and compassion more open, more impartial.
-- Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche (Medicine & Compassion)

As I read this, I pondered the recent events surrounding the Health Care bill. As shocking as the behaviour was, I couldn't help but feel compassion for these individuals. Their lives, defined in some part by the world as interpreted by themselves, family and friends, has it's own hardships. Often, many I wouldn't necessarily understand and the pain associated with it by being clouded by hate, classness and bigotry.

I can only hope that something or someone will shine a light on them at some point and show them the compassion that they should show to others. Perhaps by showing them compassion they may understand what they need to show, in turn, to others.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:29 AM   #37
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,180 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Thanks to those who added to the conversation.

Diva, I wanted to ask:

Was it the place that helped you let go or a inner decision to let go?

Linus, forgive me for just now seeing this!!

I think the 'letting go' process began when I realized what I had been doing wasn't working. Yes..part of it was the place. But part of it was the need for my spirit to be fed with more of the positive.

Thank You for this thread.....it makes me breathe deeper for some reason.....

Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diva For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2010, 01:37 PM   #38
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,165 Times in 2,007 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
-- Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche (Medicine & Compassion) I can only hope that something or someone will shine a light on them at some point and show them the compassion that they should show to others. Perhaps by showing them compassion they may understand what they need to show, in turn, to others.
Linus, I am in agreement with this notion. However, I find it almost impossible to keep responding and seeing them with an open heart and compassion.

For me, after a life time of being challenged on almost everything that I am, the wounds, the damage done makes it almost impossible to move past the baggage.

I want to but each time "they" take yet another underhanded action against me and others like me.... well my best intentions and compassion seem to vanish in a moment. I then go into self preservation mode.

I'm rambling. I still hold out hope that I will take the high road.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:03 PM   #39
oblivia
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Married, treasured, and adored

Thanked 1,430 Times in 359 Posts
oblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputation

I get Tricycle Magazine's Dailly Dharma email and I really loved today's:

June 5 , 2010
Tricycle Daily Dharma
Right and True

A famous sutra tells of a group of villagers who came to visit the Buddha. They said to him, “Many teachers come through here. Each has his own doctrine. Each claims that his particular philosophy and practice is the truth, but they all contradict each other. Now we’re totally confused. What do we do?” Doesn’t this story sound modern? Yet this was twenty-five hundred years ago. Same problems. The Buddha replied, “You have a right to be confused. This is a confusing situation. Do not take anything on trust merely because it has passed down through tradition, or because your teachers say it, or because your elders have taught you, or because it’s written in some famous scripture. When you have seen it and experienced it for yourself to be right and true, then you can accept it.”

-Ani Tenzin Palmo, "Necessary Doubt" (Summer 2002)
oblivia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to oblivia For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2010, 01:30 PM   #40
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Very excellent reference. I do like that quote, Oblivia.

I've noticed on Huffington Post Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche has been writing (I'm actually waiting for his Rebel Buddha book to be released).

His article on Emotions and accepting them is interesting: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dzogch..._b_598417.html

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post: