Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 02-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #1801
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,551 Times in 1,456 Posts
Sun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST Reputation

Hola Delicious peeps!

I checked out a new bbq place yesterday. It was good but did not blow me away. After all this is not Texas or Memphis.

So this got me wondering, what makes great bbq?

What do you all think?

Also what are some of your favorites for side dishes?

“Lovers don't finally meet somewhere. They're in each other all along.”
― Rumi

Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #1802
TheMerryFairy

How Do You Identify?:
Pansexual/Sapiosexual femmey dyke who likes to crossdress now and then
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her OR ze if I'm crossdressing
Relationship Status:
Floating and walking My path, happy in life.

Thanked 8,694 Times in 2,987 Posts
TheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun View Post
Hola Delicious peeps!

I checked out a new bbq place yesterday. It was good but did not blow me away. After all this is not Texas or Memphis.

What do you all think?

For me it's all about the tenderness of the food and the flavor. I really like being able to TASTE the char enough to add texture. I need a sweet and spicy sauce and it has to be added hot off the grill.

The side dishes really depend on what I'm having for the main dish. I love salads of any kind, potato dishes and lots of veggies. For me, simple is better for that kind of soul food.
TheMerryFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheMerryFairy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2013, 06:02 PM   #1803
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Sun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST Reputation

For me the amount of smoke, the kind of wood used and the spice ribs play a huge role in the results of the bbq.

― Rumi

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #1804
TheMerryFairy

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

TheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST ReputationTheMerryFairy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
For me the amount of smoke, the kind of wood used and the spice ribs play a huge role in the results of the bbq.

I would agree that all of those things are a huge factor to my enjoyment. I can take my grilling very seriously but at this point with all of this cold weather and snow, I would be happy to have even an average bbq meal LOL
The Following User Says Thank You to TheMerryFairy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2013, 08:05 PM   #1805
JustLovelyJenn

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
That's Need to Know

Thanked 13,995 Times in 3,685 Posts
JustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST Reputation

I am certainly NOT a BBQ cooker... Its the one thing I always leave to someone else.... but side dishes I can bring down!

Family BBQ favorites around here are deviled eggs, vegetable skewers, warm red potato salad, and broccoli and pea salad.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:06 PM   #1806
TheMerryFairy

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustLovelyJenn View Post
I am certainly NOT a BBQ cooker... Its the one thing I always leave to someone else.... but side dishes I can bring down!

Family BBQ favorites around here are deviled eggs, vegetable skewers, warm red potato salad, and broccoli and pea salad.
That sounds like a great meal!!! I would cook the BBQ for you, if I was ever in your area. Maybe GETTING to use the grill could be a barter for my services? LOL
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheMerryFairy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #1807
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,763 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

What do you all think?

For me, it's tenderness of the meat and rich flavor. I like tangy but not super acidic and I like smoky flavor with a hint of sweetness too.

I like a lot in my bbq and I often don't find it all, but I can get two out of the three (tangy/smoky/sweet) pretty easily.

Favorite sides include: mustard potato salad, baked beans, deviled eggs, veggies and salads. Don't forget the rolls! I love yeast rolls and the 'chef hat' rolls best.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #1808
TheMerryFairy

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
For me, it's tenderness of the meat and rich flavor. I like tangy but not super acidic and I like smoky flavor with a hint of sweetness too.

I like a lot in my bbq and I often don't find it all, but I can get two out of the three (tangy/smoky/sweet) pretty easily.

Favorite sides include: mustard potato salad, baked beans, deviled eggs, veggies and salads. Don't forget the rolls! I love yeast rolls and the 'chef hat' rolls best.
Those sound great! I am so hungry now, it needs to get a bit warmer so I can fire up that grill again.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheMerryFairy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2013, 10:43 AM   #1809
ahk
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,579 Times in 2,649 Posts
ahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Hola Delicious peeps!

What do you all think?

I like BBQ --

I enjoy burnt ends
I enjoy brisket (I like to make my own, but I don't do the whole grill/smoking thing, I kind of cheat a bit) but it comes out good.
I also like sausages.

I like a sweet but spicy sauce normally --

The sides I like are: mac/cheese, baked beans, collards, green beans, potato salad, and rolls. Just like Gemme has mentioned below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
Don't forget the rolls! I love yeast rolls and the 'chef hat' rolls best.
ahk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ahk For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2013, 11:31 PM   #1810
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Hello Delicious people,

How is everyone doing? Happy Weekend

I have been putting in some long days grilling at work. The last few weeks have shown me how much I really love to grill. It is awesome when we can grill indoors, remember that grilling is not only for the outside. Just don't ever fire up charcoal inside. A gas grill is nice, a cast iron flat surface that is really hot is great for grilling too.

Yesterday I had a great reminder of how much work goes on behind the scenes to make a restaurant run. Usually my company is a well oiled machine but we had some things go wrong this week. Yesterday one of our two convection ovens broke down. As our Executive Chef and I stood there staring at the broken down machine that we use all day long from open to close all we could do was shrug and say "oh well", because we had no control over this and knew that we could change up our routine to make things work. There is so much work that goes into making a menu happen. Look at all of the various ingredients the next time that you are in a restaurant. Ask questions about where some of the items come from. For example we use oven roasted tomato's instead of sun dried tomato's and it is a lengthy process to make them. Who knew?

Anyway from broken down oven, to orders coming in wrong, to staff calling in sick, it has been a week that has challenged us and forced us to step up and work harder than before. I often say that if everyone could see how brutally hard this work is, it would not seem so glamorous. This thought crossed my mind today as I was standing in the dish room cleaning a huge bur mixer today.

The happy customers however, make the hard work worth it.

I think that it is time for a survey in here..it is fun to get to know about each other this way. On the other site, I used to do regular surveys in the Culinary Cabana. Some of the replies were hilarious.

― Rumi

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2013, 11:32 PM   #1811
TheMerryFairy

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Hello Delicious people,

How is everyone doing? Happy Weekend

I have been putting in some long days grilling at work. The last few weeks have shown me how much I really love to grill. It is awesome when we can grill indoors, remember that grilling is not only for the outside. Just don't ever fire up charcoal inside. A gas grill is nice, a cast iron flat surface that is really hot is great for grilling too.

Yesterday I had a great reminder of how much work goes on behind the scenes to make a restaurant run. Usually my company is a well oiled machine but we had some things go wrong this week. Yesterday one of our two convection ovens broke down. As our Executive Chef and I stood there staring at the broken down machine that we use all day long from open to close all we could do was shrug and say "oh well", because we had no control over this and knew that we could change up our routine to make things work. There is so much work that goes into making a menu happen. Look at all of the various ingredients the next time that you are in a restaurant. Ask questions about where some of the items come from. For example we use oven roasted tomato's instead of sun dried tomato's and it is a lengthy process to make them. Who knew?

Anyway from broken down oven, to orders coming in wrong, to staff calling in sick, it has been a week that has challenged us and forced us to step up and work harder than before. I often say that if everyone could see how brutally hard this work is, it would not seem so glamorous. This thought crossed my mind today as I was standing in the dish room cleaning a huge bur mixer today.

The happy customers however, make the hard work worth it.

I think that it is time for a survey in here..it is fun to get to know about each other this way. On the other site, I used to do regular surveys in the Culinary Cabana. Some of the replies were hilarious.

Thankfully your week is over. Hopefully this next one will go a lot smoother. I enjoy surveys, that's a great idea!
Old 03-02-2013, 11:51 PM   #1812
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMerryFairy View Post
Thankfully your week is over. Hopefully this next one will go a lot smoother. I enjoy surveys, that's a great idea!
My week is not over. I have a few more days. Things going wrong and the ability to shift gears and be creative when things break down, or dont show up is part of the work. Sometimes it can be very draining but I work with a good team so we rolled with it. It just means more physical labor and its already a workout. Seriously in need of a hot tub.

― Rumi

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2013, 11:56 PM   #1813
TheMerryFairy

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Quote:
My week is not over. I have a few more days. Things going wrong and the ability to shift gears and be creative when things break down, or dont show up is part of the work. Sometimes it can be very draining but I work with a good team so we rolled with it. It just means more physical labor and its already a workout. Seriously in need of a hot tub.
I understand how things like that happen and then you have to quickly adjust. It's not quite the same but we both have our own creative and artitsic traits in the trade. Try to relax and spend some time resting when you can.

It's not an easy job. Mine isn't too physically demanding but I am on my feet 10 hours a day or more if we include my paper route that I took just to have something else to do.

When you ARE off, are you lucky enough to get a few days in a row?

I typically have weekends off but I spend my saturdays promoting my project at a local market and sometimes pick up an extra hour or two at the shop. I look forward to sleeping in on sundays BUT I have flea markets this month before I hit the road LOL
Old 03-03-2013, 12:11 AM   #1814
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Default Survey Time

Every now and then I will throw out a survey just for fun.

Virgo Moon Survey:

Does the full moon impact your appetite?

What is your beverage of choice to have with a meal?

Name your Top 3 Comfort Foods:

If you could have anyone cook for you who would it be?

If you could have a meal anywhere in the world, where would you go? Tell us about it.

Do you have a Food TV show that you like? If so what do you like about it?

What do you want to learn how to cook/make?

For the non cooks, what do you never want to learn how to cook/make?

Name your Top 3 Desserts:

Create a new ice cream flavor. Give it a name:

― Rumi

The Following User Says Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2013, 12:13 AM   #1815
TheMerryFairy

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Quote:

Virgo Moon Survey:

You aren't going to make it easy are you? LOL I am going to need to take some time to give it some thought . It might not be all *serious* thought but I need to make sure I say what I mean.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:20 PM   #1816
ahk
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,579 Times in 2,649 Posts
ahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Virgo Moon Survey:

Does the full moon impact your appetite? [COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]I tend to eat more salads and grilled chickens.

What is your beverage of choice to have with a meal?[COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"] water w/ lemon or lime[/COLOR]

Name your Top 3 Comfort Foods: [COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]mac/cheese, mashed or baked potatoes, pizza[/COLOR]

If you could have anyone cook for you who would it be?[COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"] Either my wife, because she's a damn good cook or my ma, she passed away some time ago, but I miss the way she cooked.
[/COLOR]
If you could have a meal anywhere in the world, where would you go? Tell us about it. [COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"] Probably Greece -- I just enjoy the flavours. Crisp, clean, and fresh.[/COLOR]

Do you have a Food TV show that you like? [COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]I like a lot of shows, but my favourite person is Ina Garten.[/COLOR] If so what do you like about it? [COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]I just think her style is a lot like mine or mine is a lot like hers?!? The products she uses, the way she cooks with herbs, how she explains things, the way her and her husband interact-- I like that![/COLOR]

What do you want to learn how to cook/make? bread. I get scared of yeast and not being patient enough.

For the non cooks, what do you never want to learn how to cook/make?[COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"] [COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]n/a[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Name your Top 3 Desserts: carrot cake w/ dried cranberries, lemon tart, and coconut cream pie

Create a new ice cream flavor. Give it a name:

Dingle Berry -- Chocolate covered Raspberry in a Vanilla Ice Cream

[/COLOR]
good survey. I like surveys.
bring em on!! lol.

Happy cooking!

Last edited by ahk; 03-03-2013 at 05:23 PM. Reason: yeah not sure why its all mumbled up -- but just look for my answers in brackets , :|
ahk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ahk For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2013, 10:24 PM   #1817
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

BUMP

Survey time! Come on people!

Great replied ahk.

Planet foodies, join us!!

― Rumi

Old 03-03-2013, 10:25 PM   #1818
TheMerryFairy

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Quote:
BUMP

Survey time! Come on people!

Great replied ahk.

Planet foodies, join us!!
I plan on it but I am still in the "think before I change my mind 100 times" phase LOL
Old 03-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #1819
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMerryFairy View Post
I plan on it but I am still in the "think before I change my mind 100 times" phase LOL

You can always fill out the survey several times.

― Rumi

The Following User Says Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #1820
TheMerryFairy

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Quote:
You can always fill out the survey several times.
*Laughs* That's a great idea!! I am sure now and then my answers would at least make someone crack a smile.

I have been thinking about the "who would you like to cook for you" question. My automatic response went to "you must mean people outside of this thread, right?"