betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,742 Times in 2,566 Posts
betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation
Default Toronto Cannot Afford Rob Ford As Mayor

I don't live in Toronto any more, so I get that I have no say. But I'd really love it if those of you who DO live in Toronto or have friends in Toronto would spread the word.

This guy is everything that Toronto isn't. Why WHY WHY would he want to be Mayor? He hates immigrants, he hates public transit, he hates the homeless, he hates social spending, he hates the Queer community.

http://www.torontocannotafford.com/
Old 09-22-2010, 06:50 PM   #2
suebee

How Do You Identify?:
TOWANDA!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Queen Bee
Relationship Status:
Good 'n married.

1 Highscore

Location: Eastern Canada. But if I make a wrong turn at the lights I get stopped by a border guard.
Thanked 2,759 Times in 820 Posts
suebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputation

Wow! Is this guy for real? I really wouldn't expect that kind of candidate in Toronto. Does he have a following? Do you know where he is in the polls?
suebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:01 PM   #3
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by suebee View Post
Wow! Is this guy for real? I really wouldn't expect that kind of candidate in Toronto. Does he have a following? Do you know where he is in the polls?
Well, see I don't even know. Every article I have been able to find that is RECENT says he's ahead in the polls - but I have such a hard time believing that.

Plus, even the Toronto Sun newspaper hates him - and you KNOW that newspaper is staffed entirely by right-wing dirtbags who write at a 6th grade level. So I just don't know where these polls are coming from - I just hope that they're wrong.

I mean, his weirdo plan to rip out all the streetcar tracks ALONE is completely asinine. What the hell is he thinking?
Old 09-22-2010, 07:08 PM   #4
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Sounds like a right wing teabagger to me. Please don't send him our way.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2010, 07:42 PM   #5
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by betenoire View Post
I don't live in Toronto any more, so I get that I have no say. But I'd really love it if those of you who DO live in Toronto or have friends in Toronto would spread the word.

This guy is everything that Toronto isn't. Why WHY WHY would he want to be Mayor? He hates immigrants, he hates public transit, he hates the homeless, he hates social spending, he hates the Queer community.

I've been trying to figure this out since he's taken a significant lead in the polls. I don't understand how a city with an immigrant majority supports a guy who has spoken out against immigration and immigrants.

There's been a hell of a lot of controversy in the paper over these elections, particularly over Ford's record. Part of the problem is that the two primary candidates, Ford and Smitherman, both have histories of substance abuse (among other things for Ford) and neither are the most likeable candidates in the world. However, Smitherman is still a billion times better than Ford, so I'll be voting for him solely so that Ford doesn't get into office.

Smitherman was leading the polls significantly in the spring and early summer, but recently support for Ford seems to have exploaded, and I don't know why. In a way I think the media hype over Ford's criminal past (susbtance abuse, DUIs, threatening his wife etc.), as well as his outrageous policies has brought up his popularity in the polls, to the point where it has overshadowed Smitherman's campaign. I sometimes wonder how the hell they conduct these polls though, seems like no one I've spoken to actually likes Ford, so I don't understand how he came to lead the polls so drastically when everyone, including the papers, hates him.
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:46 PM   #6
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderD_503 View Post
Smitherman was leading the polls significantly in the spring and early summer, but recently support for Ford seems to have exploaded, and I don't know why.
I THINK what happened is that when Mammoliti dropped out of the race, because he decided to endorce Ford (which is SO fucked - since Ford called Mammoliti a "Gino" - who the fuck would endorse someone who called you a racist name?) people who were planning to vote for Mammoliti are now planning to vote for Ford?

I also think that what is going on is that the "asshole vote" is ALL going to Ford, and the "everybody else vote" is split between the other candidates. I mean, that's how the fucking Conservatives got into power in this country in the first place. All of the assholes voted Conservative, and the rest of us split our votes between the NDP, Liberals, Bloc, etc.

Last edited by betenoire; 09-22-2010 at 07:49 PM. Reason: typo
betenoire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:06 PM   #7
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I THINK what happened is that when Mammoliti dropped out of the race, because he decided to endorce Ford (which is SO fucked - since Ford called Mammoliti a "Gino" - who the fuck would endorse someone who called you a racist name?) people who were planning to vote for Mammoliti are now planning to vote for Ford?

I also think that what is going on is that the "asshole vote" is ALL going to Ford, and the "everybody else vote" is split between the other candidates. I mean, that's how the fucking Conservatives got into power in this country in the first place. All of the assholes voted Conservative, and the rest of us split our votes between the NDP, Liberals, Bloc, etc.
True, but part of what annoys me about the situation is that what saved Canada from a Conservative majority was the Toronto/southern Ontario vote, and now we're set to vote in Harper's twin. It doesn't make sense. Then again, they barely poll over 1000 people at once, so hopefully they've been doing their polling in places like Royal York, Rosedale and other wealthy areas of the city, and doesn't actually reflect what's going on in the rest of the city. One can only hope... I really hope the "every body else vote" comes to its senses and rallies behind Smitherman for all our sakes. We're pretty much fucked otherwise. If Ford gets in it'll be like Mike Harris all over again with the rest of Ontario exempt from the lunacy.
The Following User Says Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2010, 08:10 PM   #8
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Quote:
Then again, they barely poll over 1000 people at once, so hopefully they've been doing their polling in places like Royal York, Rosedale and other wealthy areas of the city, and doesn't actually reflect what's going on in the rest of the city.
Ah, that hadn't occurred to me. They should be required to poll by neighborhood and post the polls in that manner. You know "Rosedale loves him, Parkdale thinks he's a shitstick."

<3 Parkdale <3
Old 09-30-2010, 03:47 PM   #9
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

A few days ago Sarah Thomson dropped out to back Smitherman. She asked all those who would have voted for her to back Smitherman, and that she believed not allowing Ford to win was important in order to safeguard the city's future.

Honestly, I wish such support were behind Pantalone or Thomson herself, but at this point it's still "anyone's better than Ford."

Quote:
Toronto mayoral candidate Sarah Thomson was welcomed at George Smitherman's campaign headquarters Tuesday after she dropped her bid for the city's top job and endorsed her former rival.

Polls in recent months have suggested Thomson is lagging well behind front-runners Rob Ford and Smitherman. She said at a morning news conference she was ending her bid because she didn't want Ford to be elected.

Ford "is going to basically destroy transit. He doesn't care about the social issues that George Smitherman cares about," she told reporters at the former provincial cabinet minister's headquarters after her announcement.

"I got to say, you know, at the end of the day, we have to look at the future of Toronto. To me that's the most important thing and I would trust Toronto in George Smitherman's hands."

"To each his own," Ford said in response to Thomson's comments.

"I will guarantee I will be right in there to the very end and I’m looking forward to it. ... I can’t really explain why Sarah’s doing what she’s doing, but I wish her all the best."

Smitherman, who opinion polls suggest is running second in the race, has said he's the only candidate who can stop Ford.
Pantalone, Rossi continue campaigns

The two other leading candidates, Coun. Joe Pantalone and Rocco Rossi, said they have no plans to follow Thomson's lead and drop out of the race.

Rossi said he believes many of the people who were going to vote for Thomson will now support him.

"Now I'm the only true outside business leader running against a slate of political insiders that don't represent real change for the City of Toronto," he said.

Pantalone said the election is still a month away and a lot can change in that time. He said he's the only candidate not calling for significant budget cuts.

"I feel optimistic," he said. "Let the campaign continue. This is just another step in this journey."

Thomson joined the race In January to replace outgoing Mayor David Miller. She quit her job as publisher of Women's Post magazine to jump into the race.

Less than a week ago, Thomson's campaign team played down reports that she was considering ending her run for mayor. They said she wouldn't stop campaigning, despite published reports suggesting she was considering withdrawing to stop Ford from winning.

Thomson's name will remain on the ballot for the Oct. 25 vote.
Source: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/sto...son-mayor.html
Old 10-01-2010, 12:54 AM   #10
imperfect_cupcake

How Do You Identify?:
feminine dolly dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
Your Grace
Relationship Status:
I put my own care first

Thanked 9,727 Times in 1,613 Posts
imperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputation

I'm leaving a recently voted tory england that's mutilating it's public services. the last thing I want is to go home to a fuckwit canada.
imperfect_cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:47 PM   #11
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Jesus H Christ!

New rule: douchebags from the suburbs should no longer be allowed to vote in Toronto Elections.

I seriously cannot believe this guy won. Mortified.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:29 AM   #12
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Indeed, I couldn't believe it when I saw the results last night. Congratulations my fellow Torontonians...we're royally fucked for the next two years. Hello privatization, goodbye public services. I couldn't believe some of the crap I was reading in the papers today about how the era of so-called "pampered unions" (what a joke) was over and so-called "respect for the taxpayer" had arrived. Let's see how people like a Toronto with privatized garbage pick-up. Talk about opportunism and the general/notorious two-facedness of the media. This is exactly why Pantalone's followers should have bit the bullet and voted for Smitherman. All of the candidates leave much to be desired, but at this stage of the game Ford is by the far the most dangerous candidate who will certainly fuck over the entire city (minus the wealthy), and his followers by no means make up the majority. I have a feeling though, that Smitherman's sexuality may have been a factor among the wealthier voters. I couldn't believe some of the comments I heard at work, people who would have otherwised voted for Smitherman, but claimed it would have been "weird" because he's married to a man. This whole election has really decreased my faith in this city and the progress it appeared to be making.

I still can't believe that clown is now our mayor. The only hope is that this could be the last straw for many who have suffered at the hands of idiotic mayors, and whom Ford has literally waged a war against (far more vehemently and clearly than most). One can only hope.
The Following User Says Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2010, 11:35 AM   #13
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

It's my understanding that he's got a lot of enemies on city council, so we can only hope that he's hated enough that none of the stupid shit he wants to do (I LOVE THE STREETCARS! WHY is he being such a dick about them?) gets done.

I do think that his getting elected is, like, symptomatic of shockwaves of right-wing supercrazy coming on up from the US. That shit's contagious, kids.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:08 PM   #14
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

+1 on the supercrazy contagion. Why is he being a dick on the streetcar issue? Because apparently streetcars annoy motorists (the only taxpayers that matter to him? lol)...the same reason that he's a dick on just about everything. Bike lanes, overall transit city project, privatization/cutting of public services in general, immigration, poverty, environmental issues and basically everything else that annoys people like him.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:03 PM   #15
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Quote:
+1 on the supercrazy contagion. Why is he being a dick on the streetcar issue? Because apparently streetcars annoy motorists (the only taxpayers that matter to him? lol)...the same reason that he's a dick on just about everything. Bike lanes, overall transit city project, privatization/cutting of public services in general, immigration, poverty, environmental issues and basically everything else that annoys people like him.
He makes absolutely no sense. You've got this giant city with a population of 2.5 million. You add to that the how-many-millions of people who commute to Toronto from Durham region, Mississauga, Barrie, etc every day for work. You've got UNBEARABLE traffic congestion...and you want to discourage alternate means of transportation (ie - bikes, Go Transit, the TTC)? Honestly! It's just about the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.

Is he also going to abolish free street parking for Motorcycles and Mopeds?

Remember, he also hates gays and is still bummed out over same-sex marriage. And he calls Asian people "Oriental" and thinks they're going to take over with their shady hard-working ways. He's, like, the enemy of everything that's good in Toronto.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:57 PM   #16
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

It really is idiotic. Ford has a very definative view as to who constitutes "the people" and "taxpayers" in his mind, and the people he has in mind aren't typically those that could be bothered with such "plebeian" forms of transportation as the TTC, GOTrains/busses and bikes. He may think that he's going to go and save "the taxpayers'" money, but by putting the transit city project on the back burner, all he's going to do is decrease the city's efficiency (making it harder for those who rely on public transport to get to work/make a living), not to mention continue to clog up traffic for the vehicles that do need to be on the road. Bad for the majority of Torontonians, bad for the economy, bad for the environment.

And yes, he's made countless homophobic and transphobic comments, but nobody seems to care. Again, apparently taxpayers are rich, heterosexual Christians who frown on public transport, unions and worker/employee rights. I guess the LGBT community, them sneaky "orientals" and "ginos" do not pay taxes? Or, you know, anyone who doesn't own/regularly drive a car...

"Mr. Ford endorses the views of a fundamentalist Christian pastor who said same-sex marriage could 'dismantle' a 'healthy democratic civilization.' Appearing alongside Pastor Wendell Brereton, Mr. Ford says: 'We’re together. We have the same thoughts.' He adds: 'I support traditional marriage. I always have. But if people want to, to each your own. I’m not worried about what people do in their private life. I look out for taxpayers’ money.'"

"I don't understand. Number one, I don't understand a transgender, I don't understand, is it a guy dressed up like a girl or a girl dressed up like a guy? And we're funding this for, I don't know, what does it say here? We're giving them $3,210?" - June 2005

"If you’re not doing needles and you’re not gay, you won't get AIDS, probably." - June 28, 2006

"Mr. Ford questions a grant for a video about homosexuality in Toronto’s South Asian community, telling The National Post: 'I have no problem giving money out to physically or mentally handicapped children or seniors, but spending $5,000 on this video is disgusting, it is absolutely disgusting to spend this amount of money on this, whatever it was called, video.'" - June 13, 2001

Also, this comment geared toward the homeless:

"People do not want government housing built in the city of Toronto. They want roads fixed, more police presence, but they don't want more government housing that will depreciate the value of their property." - July, 2005

Because nothing could be more horrible than having a million dollar house's value depreciated. How dare the homeless depreciate the air the rich breathe!

Sorry, just really fucking pissed at the outcome of these elections.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2010, 06:53 PM   #17
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

I can't find any actual statistics on it, and this MIGHT just be because of the demographic that makes up my friend-base...but. I am positive that there are more renters than owners in Toronto. In fact, I know ZERO people who own in Toronto.

Wait. I have one friend who's MOTHER owns a house. That's it. All of my friends, all of my friends parents - all renters.

So who the hell is Ford talking about when he talks about people not wanting to see their property value go down? Landlords?

It had better be only one term.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:42 PM   #18
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Hey Ender, I don't know if you've seen this or not yet - but I figured you'd be interested:

http://torontoist.com/2010/10/which_..._for_mayor.php

Maps of which wards voted for which candidate, with also a percentage breakdown by ward.

<3 Parkdale <3
Old 01-25-2014, 09:44 PM   #19
C0LLETTE
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Depends on the day.
Preferred Pronoun?:
"I" and "we"
Relationship Status:
Very good. Thank you for asking.

Thanked 15,264 Times in 4,345 Posts
C0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

It's rather neat to go back and see this convo from 2010 about Rob Ford.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to C0LLETTE For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2014, 10:07 PM   #20
Rolo

How Do You Identify?:
Femme lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Rolo Has the BEST ReputationRolo Has the BEST ReputationRolo Has the BEST ReputationRolo Has the BEST ReputationRolo Has the BEST ReputationRolo Has the BEST ReputationRolo Has the BEST ReputationRolo Has the BEST ReputationRolo Has the BEST ReputationRolo Has the BEST ReputationRolo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Your preaching to the choir! I don't know a soul who wants him to represent our city. I didn't like him from the beginning.

Unfortunately he's got quite the following.

Alice Roosevelt Longworth
Rolo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rolo For This Useful Post:

Tags
toronto