Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Celebrity, Music, Television, Internet Culture

Old 03-05-2010, 09:32 AM   #201
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,382 Times in 2,839 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderella View Post
correction - my post #194
I confused Northside 777 with The Front Page, my apologies.

In Northside 777 the magnification and enhancement of the front page of a newspaper to reveal a date (instrumental in proving the defendant's innocense, and thereby acquiting him), was such a major and important aspect of this film, that I always confuse the title and think of it as The Front Page, which is another movie entirely.
I actually saw The Front Page at the theatre in Buenos Aires when it came out. I really enjoy Billy Wilder films too.

Opposite of Altman, very controlled.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:24 AM   #202
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Pinky's mommy :)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

Thanked 1,502 Times in 637 Posts
cinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputation

HEADS UP ALL WWII AFFICIONADOS!!

Starting on Sunday, March 27 (not sure of the time, check your local schedules), HBO will present a 10-part mini-series: The Pacific. It is all about the Pacific theatre, and all the incidents pertaining to it.
It is a joint-production effort between Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg. Those of you who are fans of WWII history, will love this. Just thought you might want to know.
cinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cinderella For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2010, 11:28 AM   #203
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Starting on Sunday, March 27 (not sure of the time, check your local schedules), HBO will present a 10-part mini-series: The Pacific. It is all about the Pacific theatre, and all the incidents pertaining to it.
It is a joint-production effort between Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg. Those of you who are fans of WWII history, will love this. Just thought you might want to know.
Thank you! That's so cool! Can't wait.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:32 AM   #204
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

cinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputation

I don't know why I used to term 'Gothic' because it really isn't. And only 'Noirish' in the black & white cinematography...but as you said, if plot isn't a primary concern, you will love this film for the atmospheric ambiance, the sets and the costumes. I too love and appreciate all these things about film - I am always checking out who the set and costume designers are in a film. However, unlike you, I want a good plot as well - it has to hold my interest, otherwise all the other accoutrements are not enough to satisfy me. But when a film has all these aspects - wow!! what an experience to engage most of the senses!!

I'm curious...why does Louis Jordan crack you up? He has never done anything comedic to my knowledge, unless I've missed some of his movies. He was more the leading man - he was extremely handsome. Did you see him in his debut film 'The Paradine Case' (1947)? An Alfred Hitchcock film, starring Gregogy Peck, Ann Todd, Charles Laughton, Ethel Barrymore, Leo G. Carroll, Louis Jordan, and as Mrs. Paradine - the elusive Italian beauty Alida Valli - better known as just 'Alida'. Great film. If you haven't seen it, try and do. As usual, if it's a Hitchcock film, you can't go wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalipstic View Post
Will have to check it out! Thank you! I usually don't do chick flicks, but if its Gothic and Noirish count me in!

I care more about the cinematography, sets, acting than I do the actual plot. The plot is secondary for me. Probably why I like Altman so much.

Louis Jordan cracks me UP!
Old 03-05-2010, 03:07 PM   #205
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I don't know why I used to term 'Gothic' because it really isn't. And only 'Noirish' in the black & white cinematography...but as you said, if plot isn't a primary concern, you will love this film for the atmospheric ambiance, the sets and the costumes. I too love and appreciate all these things about film - I am always checking out who the set and costume designers are in a film. However, unlike you, I want a good plot as well - it has to hold my interest, otherwise all the other accoutrements are not enough to satisfy me. But when a film has all these aspects - wow!! what an experience to engage most of the senses!!

I'm curious...why does Louis Jordan crack you up? He has never done anything comedic to my knowledge, unless I've missed some of his movies. He was more the leading man - he was extremely handsome. Did you see him in his debut film 'The Paradine Case' (1947)? An Alfred Hitchcock film, starring Gregogy Peck, Ann Todd, Charles Laughton, Ethel Barrymore, Leo G. Carroll, Louis Jordan, and as Mrs. Paradine - the elusive Italian beauty Alida Valli - better known as just 'Alida'. Great film. If you haven't seen it, try and do. As usual, if it's a Hitchcock film, you can't go wrong.
No honey, she's known as just Valli She didn't do a lot i know. Paradine Case is one of my favorites, too. I guess you know that.

Robert Altman did different things. I'm not really a fan, sort of like Stanley Kramer. They both did good things, I'm just not a real big fan of most of their things. See ya at the movies, comrades...
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jet For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2010, 03:52 PM   #206
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Quote:

Atmospheric ambiance! I am there.

I do care about the plot, but it is not my main thing. I look at it from more of a Director and sometimes Producer angle....or as art.

I'm a huge Hitchcock fan, I studied him in college too.

Jordan? I don't know, maybe his facial expressions seem exagerated for me. When I see him, I can't help but giggle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jet View Post
No honey, she's known as just Valli She didn't do a lot i know. Paradine Case is one of my favorites, too. I guess you know that.

Robert Altman did different things. I'm not really a fan, sort of like Stanley Kramer. They both did good things, I'm just not a real big fan of most of their things. See ya at the movies, comrades...

I like how Altman controlled every detail of the set, but let the actors do whatever...exactly the opposite of Hitchcock or Billy Wilder.

and...

Comrades makes me smile.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:57 PM   #207
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Atmospheric ambiance! I am there.

I do care about the plot, but it is not my main thing. I look at it from more of a Director and sometimes Producer angle....or as art.

I'm a huge Hitchcock fan, I studied him in college too.

Jordan? I don't know, maybe his facial expressions seem exagerated for me. When I see him, I can't help but giggle.

I like how Altman controlled every detail of the set, but let the actors do whatever...exactly the opposite of Hitchcock or Billy Wilder.

and...

Comrades makes me smile.
You know, actually Cecile DeMille was the same way. He was known for epics and controlled his story. But he expected actors to know what they were doing, so he was known not to really direct the acting.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:09 PM   #208
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Quote:
You know, actually Cecile DeMille was the same way. He was known for epics and controlled his story. But he expected actors to know what they were doing, so he was known not to really direct the acting.

I have not watched anything of his since college and I did not really study him. Perhaps this Spring.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:44 AM   #209
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

You're absolutely right, snookums!! It was 'Valli' - my thinking is getting dyslexic in my old age! Thanks for correcting me. I also love The Paradine Case - there's just something about that film...can't put my finger on it - the music, the sets, Peck's facination with Valli...I don't know, but I always watch it when it's on. I have a copy of it on tape, but it's not a very good one. If it's on dvd, I may just buy it. I'll check Amazon.com, I get most of my dvd 'deals' on there. I've got to re-purchase Brief Encounter (you know that's my favorite film, Ol' Jet). The copy I had cracked.

I'm with you on Kubric - I always disliked 2001: A Space Odyssy, and never understood what all the hoopla was about...I quite never 'got it'.

As for Altman, I'm not sure I know his films...

Quote:

Old 03-06-2010, 09:05 AM   #210
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

Giggle? That's so odd...oh well. Whenever I see him, I swoon!
John Saxon had the same affect on me, tho he never did anything of great importance that I can remember. Oh, and Hawaiian-born James Shigeta - of Japanese ancestry - (Bride to the Sun - 1961) what a beautiful man! I guess I lean toward the 'dark & handsome' types, huh? Ok, now I'm rambling, lol

[QUOTE=apocalipstic;61449]
QUOTE]
Old 03-06-2010, 09:29 AM   #211
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

Has anyone read The Alienist by Caleb Carr? What a fabulous movie that would make, and I'm wondering why someone hasn't 'jumped' on that one!! It's the story of an 'alienist' (old term for psychiatrist/psychoanalyst), and how he forms a band of 'sleuths' to investigate, track down, and capture the first known serial killer in old circa 1880's New York City. It is a facsinating and riviting tale, and if well executed, I think would be a block-buster. I am tempted to write Scorsese - it's just his kind of story!! He has the finnese (see The Age of Innocence), and the violent grittiness (see Raging Bull) to pull it off magnificently!!!

I would love to hear your comments/impressions of this story if you've read the book, and if you were casting it, who you'd pick - I personally see Daniel Day Lewis, or perhaps Jerramy Irons as Lazslo Krietzler (the alienist). If you haven't read this, you should - you will never forget it. It is a grizly and gritty tale that is a sure page-turner - you won't be able to put it down!! Young boy prostitute's dismembered bodies are turning up all over the city, and the police don't have a clue as to how to start solving these crimes. Steps in Dr. Krietzler and his unorthodox methods of solving the crimes - first indication of forensic science and it's methodology.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:15 PM   #212
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

On TCM Tonight - all times EST

5:30pm - On the Beach: Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner, Fred Astair, Anthony Perkins

8:00pm - A Streetcar Named Desire

10:15: Somebody Up There Likes Me

For the Nightowls

12:15am - Saturday Night Fever (yet again!! *groan*)

2:30am - Blackboard Jungle

4:15am - The Killers: Burt Lancaster, Ava Gardner
Old 03-06-2010, 01:27 PM   #213
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,366 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Thanks!! i didn't know that. i will check it out. i just read an article in The New Yorker about a journalist who covered the B-29 firebombing raids of Japan that preceded the nuclear strike. i had never heard about them. It was fascinating stuff. It also makes you think that the nuclear strike was not necessary if these runs could wreak this much damage.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:48 PM   #214
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

[quote=cinderella;61708]Giggle? That's so odd...oh well. Whenever I see him, I swoon!
John Saxon had the same affect on me, tho he never did anything of great importance that I can remember. Oh, and Hawaiian-born James Shigeta - of Japanese ancestry - (Bride to the Sun - 1961) what a beautiful man! I guess I lean toward the 'dark & handsome' types, huh? Ok, now I'm rambling, lol

Quote:
QUOTE]
they have the same effect on me being the gay man that i am, giggle. maybe we can talk shoes sometime, carmen. we'll do lunch. my pic is john gavin out of those hunky 50s types.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:48 PM   #215
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I'm curious...why does Louis Jordan crack you up? He has never done anything comedic to my knowledge, unless I've missed some of his movies. He was more the leading man - he was extremely handsome.
Louis Jordan actually cracks me up. He reminds me of Pepe LePew.

i am just catching up on this thread. But i am not a noir fan. i love the melodramas. Some of them are NOT good films, but i love them all.

Giant -- it really is a melodrama
All That Heaven Allows
Written on the Wind
Magnificent Obsession
All About Eve
The Best Years of Our Lives
Black Narcissus
The Long, Hot Summer
Old 03-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #216
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
Louis Jordan actually cracks me up. He reminds me of Pepe LePew.

i am just catching up on this thread. But i am not a noir fan. i love the melodramas. Some of them are NOT good films, but i love them all.

Giant -- it really is a melodrama
All That Heaven Allows
Written on the Wind
Magnificent Obsession
All About Eve
The Best Years of Our Lives
Black Narcissus
The Long, Hot Summer
the best years of our lives in NOT a melodrama. it's a post war docu-drama by Wyler who did it as an account of the plight of returning servicemen and a changing America at the time. there's nothig melodramatic about it. it's also my favorite movie of all time and one of the best ever made IMO with 9 Oscars in 1946.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:09 PM   #217
Julien

How Do You Identify?:
TG/GenderQueer
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm flexible, but only up to a point.
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,701 Times in 737 Posts
Julien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
the best years of our lives in NOT a melodrama. it's a post war docu-drama by Wyler who did it as an account of the plight of returning servicemen and a changing America at the time. there's nothig melodramatic about it. it's also my favorite movie of all time and one of the best ever made IMO with 9 Oscars in 1946.
I agree, The Best Years of Our Lives is an excellent film. I use it in my Film Studies classes for a discussion of women's lives during WWII.

“Self-plagiarism is style.” Alfred Hitchcock

Formerly known as Graphiteta2s
Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:24 PM   #218
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphiteta2s View Post
I agree, The Best Years of Our Lives is an excellent film. I use it in my Film Studies classes for a discussion of women's lives during WWII.
I have always loved its unpretentiousness in its characters and story. It's an honest account of the times and a no frills approach to the subject matter. To me, it's about men, soldiers and their point of view. As a transgendered man, I get that and I like that a lot.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:42 PM   #219
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
google melodrama and the title. You'll see a lot of people refer to it this way. Melodramas don't have to be weepies or have to portray exaggerated emotion or be full of stereotyped characters. They usually are sentimental. They are about relationships and emotions generally. They often focus on domestic life or work relationships. And there is often a social critique element. They CAN be realistic.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #220
Julien

How Do You Identify?:
TG/GenderQueer
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm flexible, but only up to a point.
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,701 Times in 737 Posts
Julien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Has anyone read The Alienist by Caleb Carr? What a fabulous movie that would make, and I'm wondering why someone hasn't 'jumped' on that one!! It's the story of an 'alienist' (old term for psychiatrist/psychoanalyst), and how he forms a band of 'sleuths' to investigate, track down, and capture the first known serial killer in old circa 1880's New York City. It is a facsinating and riviting tale, and if well executed, I think would be a block-buster. I am tempted to write Scorsese - it's just his kind of story!! He has the finnese (see The Age of Innocence), and the violent grittiness (see Raging Bull) to pull it off magnificently!!!

I would love to hear your comments/impressions of this story if you've read the book, and if you were casting it, who you'd pick - I personally see Daniel Day Lewis, or perhaps Jerramy Irons as Lazslo Krietzler (the alienist). If you haven't read this, you should - you will never forget it. It is a grizly and gritty tale that is a sure page-turner - you won't be able to put it down!! Young boy prostitute's dismembered bodies are turning up all over the city, and the police don't have a clue as to how to start solving these crimes. Steps in Dr. Krietzler and his unorthodox methods of solving the crimes - first indication of forensic science and it's methodology.

The Alienist good book. Although I read it years ago, I still remember the storyline and great writing. I think it would be a good film. As for the leads, I'd have to reread it to get a sense of who could be in it. Thanks for reminding me of the book, I'll have to pick it up again.

“Self-plagiarism is style.” Alfred Hitchcock

Formerly known as Graphiteta2s
Julien is offline   Reply With Quote