Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 09-12-2021, 06:34 PM   #5181
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

I was off today so my steps are naturally going to be less but I also did some rearranging and sorting and going through things and trying some new clothes on to make sure they are good to go. I took out a bag of recycling and the trash and did household chores too.

For my actual 'exercise', I turned on the music and danced around like no one was watching (except for the cats, which is kind of creepy).

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2021, 06:16 AM   #5182
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 34,013 Times in 8,560 Posts
Orema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST Reputation

Had a nice ride this morning while watching the sun rise and listening to another interview with Nikole Hannah-Jones. It's been a couple weeks since I've listened to music while riding. Will change that soon, maybe.

This week's I:

– rode 20 miles in 105 minutes
– did 140 arm rolls

Orema is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2021, 04:02 PM   #5183
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

I got my pedometer put back together. That damn screw is soo freakin' tiny, I had to enlist a friend with smaller fingers than me to help!

Last night, I got in 15,017 steps. 5.68 miles. 721.9 calories burned. 118 minutes.

So far, I'm at 12,183 steps. We'll see how many I wind up with since I'm hitting up a couple of stores after dinner.

I'm misunderestimated.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2021, 10:22 PM   #5184
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
GNC, not Trans, REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Thanked 6,643 Times in 2,288 Posts
Greco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST Reputation
Default 10

Continue with 10,000 steps.
slowly but surely I'll run again, but for now the walking I am most grateful for.

Adrian

"Me gusta andar, pero no sigo el camino pues lo seguro no tiene misterio." Facundo Cabral
Greco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Greco For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2021, 10:36 AM   #5185
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco View Post
Continue with 10,000 steps.
slowly but surely I'll run again, but for now the walking I am most grateful for.

Adrian
I missed something. You stopped running? <--because most runners wear socks and there is NO runner smiley (to my surprise)

Well, I am sure you will get back into tip top shape. If you're at 10,000 steps a day, you are definitely on your way!

For myself, my numbers gain from the shopping wasn't as much as I anticipated. Turns out, I spent nearly all my time in the book store within a 20 foot radius (in the magazines and periodicals), I arrived late at another store and only had 20 minutes to peruse and purchase before they closed and I knew where everything was at Walmart so there was no random excursions or detours. Still, I feel it wasn't too shabby overall.

Daily count for 9/18: 15,430 steps total, 5.84 miles walked, 742.1 calories burned (give or take) and 119 minutes of my day were devoted to this movement.

Not that the scale is the end-all in the scheme of things but I'm happy to report that, although I was creeping back up the past 4 days, I have settled back down to a number that says, "Hey, you're doing something right. Keep it up!" I feel good about that. And the 8 hours of sleep I got. Definitely feeling good about that, since it's more the exception than the rule nowadays.

I'm misunderestimated.
Old 09-20-2021, 03:56 PM   #5186
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Greco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST Reputation
Default Un

Life is unpredictable is all...yes Gemme I'll run again...not a quitter, not by a long shot.

I remember when I went through basic training there was a certain 7 ft wall we had to conquer. Well, I'm using the same effort and determination to return to running which I love.

And today the beauty of this sky, and Mother Nature is free for everyone and I'm enjoying it at a slower pace, the pace of life. For those of you who asked, I am ok and grateful for this life. Thanking you for asking.

When I complained about not having any shoes, this saying goes, I remembered the folks without feet. I am grateful.

Greco

"Me gusta andar, pero no sigo el camino pues lo seguro no tiene misterio." Facundo Cabral

Last edited by Greco; 09-20-2021 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Error
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greco For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2021, 08:41 AM   #5187
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Orema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST Reputation

Had a good ride this morning and some nice rides this week. Have been watching videos or listening to podcasts while riding. I don't ride as fast with podcasts and videos as I do with music, but I enjoy riding more when I'm concentrating on something other than music. But riding to music give me a good cardio workout. I'll try to squeeze in some music rides next week, maybe.

This week:

– rode 20 miles in 2hr 20min
– did 230 arm rolls

See ya next time.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2021, 08:20 AM   #5188
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Had another good ride this morning while listening to Nikole Hannah-Jones make a case for reparations to Black folk mixed with a bit of Lil Kim. Added more music to my rides this week and watched a couple bike-riding videos.

This week I:

– rode 25 miles in little less than 2hrs
– did 310 arm rolls

Doing my best to get a bit of exercise in during this pandemic.

Old 10-03-2021, 10:15 PM   #5189
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

I'm still logging my steps per day as well as the miles they translate into, the calorie burn from them and the number of minutes it took to execute them during each day.

My total count from this past 7 days is 107,292 steps. That's inaccurate as I forgot to transfer my pedometer from my work pants to my house clothes one day so it's actually over 110,000.

I'm misunderestimated.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2021, 06:38 AM   #5190
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Rode 5 miles for 24 mins this morning while listening to a David Axelrod podcast with Nikole Hannah-Jones. It's cloudy and foggy so I didn't get to see the sun rise. Maybe tomorrow.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2021, 10:27 AM   #5191
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

I got lots of walking in yesterday at an arts and crafts festival. I went with a friend and we both had a great time. Yesterday, I logged in at 15,510 steps but went to bed early. I was tired!

So, from the 4th to yesterday, I logged 101,500 steps. That's just under 40 miles or an average of a little over 5.5 miles per day.

I'm misunderestimated.
Old 10-16-2021, 06:57 AM   #5192
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Rode 5 miles for 23 mins this morning while listening to a low-level cardio playlist. Keeping up with the beats to the music was easier than I thought it would be after riding mostly to podcasts without music for awhile. I did 70 arm rolls, too. It was a good ride.

Old 10-16-2021, 10:46 AM   #5193
Stronghealer

How Do You Identify?:
Queer

Stronghealer Has the BEST ReputationStronghealer Has the BEST ReputationStronghealer Has the BEST ReputationStronghealer Has the BEST ReputationStronghealer Has the BEST ReputationStronghealer Has the BEST ReputationStronghealer Has the BEST ReputationStronghealer Has the BEST ReputationStronghealer Has the BEST ReputationStronghealer Has the BEST ReputationStronghealer Has the BEST Reputation
Talking Any Peloton users?

Months into this pandemic, I treated myself to a Peloton. Its been helpful.
Anyone else a Peloton fan?
“We have not always been forced to pass, to go underground, in order to work and live. We have a right to live openly and proudly...when our lives are suppressed, everyone is denied an understanding of the rich diversity of sex and gender expression and experience that exist in human society.”
― Leslie Feinberg, Transgender Warriors
Stronghealer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stronghealer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2021, 05:11 PM   #5194
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Default A

Moved to a hot AND humid place. Interesting. Carrying more H2O period.
12,000 steps walking steady, slow like making love to my new Self...good.

Greco

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greco For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2021, 07:13 PM   #5195
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Self love is a beautiful thing. Good for you, Greco!

I'm still doing well with walking. I think I'll up the game on Sunday and get back into the gym. I've been gaining and losing the same 5 pounds for 7 months now. I'm sick of it so I need to kick it up a gear to shake my body up a bit.

I'm misunderestimated.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2021, 07:29 AM   #5196
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Had an okay ride this morning while listening to Scott Simon and watching a bike riding video of Clear Canyon Road in California. Didn't exercise as much as I wanted to last week but that's okay. Will do better this week.

– rode 20 miles in 100 minutes
– did 120 arm rolls

Old 10-24-2021, 10:46 AM   #5197
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Holy crap! I did it, y'all! I finally got back into the gym and it wasn't a complete sh*t show!

I started with my old and trusted friend, the elliptical. I did 35 minutes including the cool down. 235 calories burned (so they say but we all know that figure isn't correct), 2.38 miles (of which I am confident) and a 14:43 pace. I started the first half at level 1 and then split the remaining time between levels 2 and 3.

I initially started on a moderate burn program that required my heart rate to be monitored but it couldn't register it regularly enough so it switched me to a manual program a few minutes in. I also created enough energy to power a light bulb for 2 whole minutes. lol

From there, I moved onto the low row aka the seated row.

So, I did not follow that form exactly and did more of an extended row but I think I might try the one handed row next time. You learn something new every day!

I did 4 sets of 15 at 25lbs for the row.

Then, I walked around until I found the water rower. I love this thing! It's very Zen for me. I find the sound of the water swishing around soothing and when I get into a steady rhythm, almost meditative. The one thing I don't like is that it doesn't give me enough time to log my stats before clearing the screen. I'm going to have to remember to take a picture of it with my phone next time.

Anyway, I did 10 minutes on it. I'm not entirely sure what all of this means....not the terms, but what my numbers mean for my performance...but I had a stroke rate of 21, the distance was 1680 meters and the intensity was 3.15. Again, I don't know exactly what this means for me specifically so I'll have to look into that but I used a full range of motion and engaged my abs the whole time so I suspect that my tummy will be slightly tender tomorrow, which is a good thing.

I had to stop at that point. I was getting shaky. I only intended to be at the gym for about half and hour so all I ate pre-workout was a small banana and about 1/3 of a tsp of reduced fat peanut butter with a glass of water and I used all of that fuel up. I wound up being there about an hour.

It's a very good start back!

I'm misunderestimated.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2021, 11:38 AM   #5198
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
Holy crap! I did it, y'all! I finally got back into the gym and it wasn't a complete sh*t show!

I started with my old and trusted friend, the elliptical. I did 35 minutes including the cool down. 235 calories burned (so they say but we all know that figure isn't correct), 2.38 miles (of which I am confident) and a 14:43 pace. I started the first half at level 1 and then split the remaining time between levels 2 and 3.

I initially started on a moderate burn program that required my heart rate to be monitored but it couldn't register it regularly enough so it switched me to a manual program a few minutes in. I also created enough energy to power a light bulb for 2 whole minutes. lol

From there, I moved onto the low row aka the seated row.

So, I did not follow that form exactly and did more of an extended row but I think I might try the one handed row next time. You learn something new every day!

I did 4 sets of 15 at 25lbs for the row.

Then, I walked around until I found the water rower. I love this thing! It's very Zen for me. I find the sound of the water swishing around soothing and when I get into a steady rhythm, almost meditative. The one thing I don't like is that it doesn't give me enough time to log my stats before clearing the screen. I'm going to have to remember to take a picture of it with my phone next time.

Anyway, I did 10 minutes on it. I'm not entirely sure what all of this means....not the terms, but what my numbers mean for my performance...but I had a stroke rate of 21, the distance was 1680 meters and the intensity was 3.15. Again, I don't know exactly what this means for me specifically so I'll have to look into that but I used a full range of motion and engaged my abs the whole time so I suspect that my tummy will be slightly tender tomorrow, which is a good thing.

I had to stop at that point. I was getting shaky. I only intended to be at the gym for about half and hour so all I ate pre-workout was a small banana and about 1/3 of a tsp of reduced fat peanut butter with a glass of water and I used all of that fuel up. I wound up being there about an hour.

It's a very good start back!

That's great news! So glad you had a good start. You inspire me to kick my exercise up a notch!

I had a nice ride today. 5 miles in 24 minutes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2021, 11:39 AM   #5199
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Default Do We Really Need to Take 10,000 Steps a Day for Our Health? The advice that we take 10,000 steps a day is more a marketing accide

This article isn't meant to discourage anyone from reaching 10K or more steps a day, but to encourage those of us who are unable to step 10K in a day.

Do We Really Need to Take 10,000 Steps a Day for Our Health?
The advice that we take 10,000 steps a day is more a marketing accident than based on science. Taking far fewer may have notable benefits.

The good news is that upping our current step counts by even a few thousand additional strides most days could be a reasonable, sufficient — and achievable — goal. Credit: TraceyAPhotos/iStock

By Gretchen Reynolds
Published July 6, 2021, Updated Sept. 15, 2021

Fitness tracking devices often recommend we take 10,000 steps a day. But the goal of taking 10,000 steps, which many of us believe is rooted in science, in fact rests on coincidence and sticky history rather than research.

According to Dr. I-Min Lee, a professor of epidemiology at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health and an expert on step counts and health, the 10,000-steps target became popular in Japan in the 1960s. A clock maker, hoping to capitalize on interest in fitness after the 1964 Tokyo Olympic Games, mass-produced a pedometer with a name that, when written in Japanese characters, resembled a walking man. It also translated as “10,000-steps meter,” creating a walking aim that, through the decades, somehow became embedded in our global consciousness — and fitness trackers.

But today’s best science suggests we do not need to take 10,000 steps a day, which is about five miles, for the sake of our health or longevity.

A 2019 study by Dr. Lee and her colleagues found that women in their 70s who managed as few as 4,400 steps a day reduced their risk of premature death by about 40 percent, compared to women completing 2,700 or fewer steps a day. The risks for early death continued to drop among the women walking more than 5,000 steps a day, but benefits plateaued at about 7,500 daily steps. In other words, older women who completed fewer than half of the mythic 10,000 daily steps tended to live substantially longer than those who covered even less ground.

Another, more expansive study last year of almost 5,000 middle-aged men and women of various ethnicities likewise found that 10,000 steps a day are not a requirement for longevity. In that study, people who walked for about 8,000 steps a day were half as likely to die prematurely from heart disease or any other cause as those who accumulated 4,000 steps a day. The statistical benefits of additional steps were slight, meaning it did not hurt people to amass more daily steps, up to and beyond the 10,000-steps mark. But the extra steps did not provide much additional protection against dying young, either.

Realistically, few of us reach that 10,000-step goal, anyway. According to recent estimates, most adults in America, Canada and other Western nations average fewer than 5,000 steps a day.

And if we do reach the 10,000-step target, our feat tends to be ephemeral. A famous study in Ghent, Belgium, provided local citizens in 2005 with pedometers and encouraged them to walk for at least 10,000 steps a day for a year. Of the 660 men and women who completed the study, about 8 percent reached the 10,000 step daily goal by the end. But in a follow-up study four years later, almost no one was still striding that much. Most had slipped back to their baseline, taking about the same number of steps now as at the study’s start.

The good news is that upping our current step counts by even a few thousand additional strides most days could be a reasonable, sufficient — and achievable — goal, Dr. Lee said. The formal physical activity guidelines issued by the United States and other governments use time, not steps, as a recommendation, and suggest we exercise for at least 150 minutes a week, or a half-hour most days, in addition to any moving around we do as part of our normal, daily lives. Translated into step counts, Dr. Lee said, that total would work out to a little more than 16,000 steps a week of exercise for most people, or about 2,000 to 3,000 steps most days. (Two thousand steps equal approximately a mile.) If, like many people, we currently take about 5,000 steps a day during the course of everyday activities like shopping and housework, adding the extra 2,000 to 3,000 steps would take us to a total of between 7,000 and 8,000 steps most days, which, Dr. Lee said, seems to be the step-count sweet spot.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/06/w...ps-health.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 08:05 PM   #5200
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orema View Post
That's great news! So glad you had a good start. You inspire me to kick my exercise up a notch!

I had a nice ride today. 5 miles in 24 minutes.

You go, girl!

I've gone to the gym the past two nights as well. I did just the elliptical on Monday night and tonight I added the water rower in again for a quick 5 minutes at a good enough clip to get me winded and get warm (but not sweaty).

I've held steady on the scale the past couple of nights after a pound and a half drop so I'm headed in the right direction in terms of numbers. Dinner was a little heavy tonight so we'll see how it goes tomorrow m
orning.

I'm misunderestimated.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:

Tags
exercise, weights