Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Celebrity, Music, Television, Internet Culture

View Poll Results: Should Kevorkian have been charged, convicted and sentenced to prison?
Yes 5 6.76%
No 46 62.16%
It's not that cut and dried 23 31.08%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-01-2010, 04:33 PM   #21
Rook

How Do You Identify?:
A.G - Stone Butch - GenderFuck
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hym, Hyz...or, just b respectable, it's not that hard..

Thanked 3,183 Times in 1,287 Posts
Rook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST Reputation

My relatives have a sense of hypervigilance towards me, if I make an appointment with a Lawyer they wanna be present, for any changes I make.
I've already told them, if I really wanted to do any life related changes, they wouldn't even know I had an appointment, because I know for a fact they will All try to throw a monkey wrench into any Plans made...

All of 'em have said if I loved them, I wouldn't allow DNR or euthanasia...
My response is usually 'it's precisely because I love u I'd do it, what about my suffering, my dignity? Endless days and night with u holding vigil, cleaning me, feeding me...and me unable to do or say anything about it?"
What I get back is "I'll do it all with Love"..

I honestly believe Jack Kevorkian is doing a wonderful deed in Bringing peace of Mind to the relatives and those who specifically request "Aid"...
However, I always stipulate..If I am to allow Euthanasia, if I am in such great Pain & Misery, there will be No cameras, no reporter, no nothing, just those who won't interfere & do Care/Love, in addition to the Doctor making sure everything goes smooth and right.

In some states there's a Lot of hoops to jump before euthanasia is Legit, but it's there.
I cherish my Life, true..
But, when my belov'd pets were suffering Greatly beyond the capacity of money for "cures", I let them go with a whisper of "You're very lucky, I do this with Love..."
It hurts for awhile, but I know they're at peace.
Why can't Humans be allowed the same choice?
Old 07-01-2010, 05:03 PM   #22
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

This is a very complex issue. I aplaud Kervorkian for setting the stage, yet, I want humane, sane and respectfull legislation for personal end of life decisions. Kervorkian's did not have some choices here that I bet he would have taken. However, some of his actions do bother me. But NOT a person's right to their own control over end of life decisions.

I have watched and been involved with my father, mother, one sister, my brother, a partner and more than a few friends die very difficult deaths. Most of these did not have to be as horrible as they were. Most of these did, indeed have straight forward legal directives. Yet, their wishes became a nightmare within the healthcare legal systems. When you are losing someone you love, dealing with this is just not OK. I now know that for my wishes to actually be carried out, it will have to be outside of these systems. This just isn't right! And pulling a plug is nothing like making decisions like with holding fluids or nourishment or antibiotics or medications that are in fact keeping the heart beating... not even close. And these are the types of things that go on far more often than taking someone off of life support. That is just not how it is. Doing some of these does indeed make dying more difficult at times (there is pain with dehydration at that level for example as there can be with starvation). A plug pull gives peace within moments and usually the person has no awareness.

It is time we deal with this in a manner that allows people control in death & dying when faced with terminal illness. I have deep spiritual feelings, yet believe that it is one's spirit or soul that gives them direction with their wishes and decision here. And a diety hasn't a thing to do with this even if the person believes in such things. These wishes need to be honored.

Last edited by AtLast; 07-01-2010 at 05:06 PM.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2010, 05:08 PM   #23
fiercegrrl
In Memory Of

How Do You Identify?:
fierce femme grrl
Preferred Pronoun?:
beautiful, pumpkin, princess, sweet pea, babygirl
Relationship Status:
i don't think it's in the stars for me.

fiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputation

i am currently working on my advanced directive, DNR orders and i am not telling my family about it until all of the things i want are legally in place. it is my body and my life- i don't want their input on how i want the end to be.

i have a friend who has told me that if i reach a point where i want it all to be done that she will help. that she will tuck me into bed and kiss me goodnight and help me however i may ask of her. i think that it is amazing the capacity of love she is showing me.

but i have not seen the kevorkian documentary. i'm not sure i can. i watched the episode recently of grey's anatomy where a patient for assisted suicide and i just couldn't stop crying.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:33 PM   #24
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Monogamously Attached ❤️

Thanked 32,009 Times in 9,947 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

I excerpted part of your quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipstixgal View Post
I definitely think we need to rediscover how to die

the profundity of this thought is timeless - to me.

I have so much to say about this but it would detract from the thread's purpose - discussion of Kervorkian ideas about death and dying.

Thanks for saying this.

Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2010, 07:34 PM   #25
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

Thanked 6,231 Times in 1,462 Posts
always2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputation

I would like to share something that occurred this weekend...very relevant to the topic. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am a nurse. I watch people die quite often. We strive to offer them some modicum of dignity. And also try to manage their pain. As in all healthcare professions, one must cultivate a form of detachment...you couldn't do the job otherwise. But...every once in a while...there is a patient that gets in, that I feel a certain bond with. This weekend, one of those patients that I am particularly attached to was put on hospice. She is dying...and she is dying hard. She is on every painkiller we can offer...and even with doses that would take out an elephant...she still screams. Most of the time she is in so much pain she doesn't even respond, her eyes are unfocused, and she is just not there.

Today she focused through the pain for a moment and grabbed my hand and said "Help me, I don't know what to do." And there is nothing I can do for her except give her more pain medication that is not quite cutting it. I don't cry often...but I almost burst into tears then and there. When I got home this evening I bawled like a baby. It is so unfair and wrong. No one deserves this...to die this way...in agony, all dignity gone, hopeless and helpless. To help her die would not be murder....it would be mercy.

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there ~ Rumi
always2late is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to always2late For This Useful Post: