Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Celebrity, Music, Television, Internet Culture

Old 11-06-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
Waldo

How Do You Identify?:
Special Snowflake
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Married

Waldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST Reputation
Default Technology: .gay TLD (top level domain)

Some of you know that I work in the domain name industry, most probably don't. Of course some of you probably have no idea what I'm talking about.

The governing body of the industry is bringing new TLDs (Top Level Domains) to the world. TLDs are the .com, net, etc of a web address. There are already more than a dozen Generic TLDs and a couple hundred Country Code TLDs (.co.uk, .de, etc.).

Some say the new gTLDs will cause confusion, others say they will open new opportunities for communities, businesses and people all around the world.

While in Seoul last week I met the fellow behind the non-profit (there is a competing for profit organization) organization pushing to bring a .GAY TLD to market. We wound up in Tokyo at the same time as well and I had a chance to discuss his vision for the .GAY extension and I wanted to find out what you all think.

If you would like to know more you can read about the DotGayAlliance at http://www.dotgayalliance.com/

Is .GAY something you think the world needs?

How do you see it being used?

Would you register a .GAY domain name?

What, if any, concerns do you have about it?
Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:16 PM   #2
Waldo

How Do You Identify?:
Special Snowflake
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Married

Waldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST Reputation

I'm bumping this cause I'd really love to find out what folks outside of my industry think. Anyone?
Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:28 PM   #3
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,871 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

I, just as an end user, would be interested in this.

Whether it's needed or not (I think it is), it would be cool for GLBT websites to differentiate themselves, thus becoming more marketable, easier to find, etc.

And honestly, might help ease some confusion when "gay-sounding" domain names are actually some random product. And Im trying to remember the example here but it seems like it was something like www.labrysworld.com (maybe?) that sounded really lesbian-friendly but it was actually a gaming site.

I dunno, but I know if .gay ever happens, I will be in the poorhouse.
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:31 PM   #4
Tommi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Usually "Hello"
Relationship Status:
Married and Bound to Tommi's kaijira (Ts_kaijira )

1 Highscore

Location: Suthun.... California that is. Across the ridge from Laguna Beach.
Thanked 21,337 Times in 5,968 Posts
Tommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
I'm bumping this cause I'd really love to find out what folks outside of my industry think. Anyone?
Top and Domain got my attention....
Right brain Vs. My Left brain....

so, and example could be Tommi.gay, like Tommi.com or Tommi.net ?

Would I use it yes. Do we need it.. the word gay triggers many things Domestically, not sure about internationally. I think the gay community could be a $$ financial community unto itself.
Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:45 PM   #5
christie

How Do You Identify?:
A Force with which to be reckoned
Preferred Pronoun?:
just be nice...
Relationship Status:
I call her Mine

Thanked 2,476 Times in 706 Posts
christie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputation

My first reaction when I read the opening post was, "Oh that would be cool." It was my emotional reaction - thinking that it would be easier to delineate a GLBTQI (did I get all the letters in that?) website strictly based on the .gay.

From a business standpoint, I have a different opinion. Unfortunately, I could see the down side in that homophobs would also be able to make this distinction and be able to base their consumption by NOT purchasing/contributing/utilizing GLBTQI businesses/organizations.

Where does that leave me weighing in on this? *shrugs* I don't know. I know that I hardly ever utilize websites that aren't .coms. Chance? Coincidence? *shrugs again*

I will be interested to see other points of view on this.

Thanks, Waldo, for tossing this out there.

Christie
christie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:16 PM   #6
Bootboi

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Bear
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mister Bear.. lol actually whatever not a big deal to me.
Relationship Status:
Solo sauntering along

Bootboi Has the BEST ReputationBootboi Has the BEST ReputationBootboi Has the BEST ReputationBootboi Has the BEST ReputationBootboi Has the BEST ReputationBootboi Has the BEST ReputationBootboi Has the BEST ReputationBootboi Has the BEST ReputationBootboi Has the BEST ReputationBootboi Has the BEST ReputationBootboi Has the BEST Reputation

Whether it be .net, .org, .com or .gay It's the quality of content I'm interested in. I think this is another way to employ marketing and not really about content. I wish that might be the real drive behind it but likely is more about money.
Bootboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:23 PM   #7
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,131 Times in 6,414 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
While in Seoul last week I met the fellow behind the non-profit (there is a competing for profit organization) organization pushing to bring a .GAY TLD to market. We wound up in Tokyo at the same time as well and I had a chance to discuss his vision for the .GAY extension and I wanted to find out what you all think.

I can see the usefulness of it but I can also see it as a separating thing. As someone pointed out, it could really bring out the homophobes. Or they could set up seemingly gay friendly sites that were phishing sites to specifically target queers.

What? Why do you say I have a suspicious mind?
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:56 PM   #8
foxyshaman

How Do You Identify?:
spiritually minded dirt dog

Thanked 2,593 Times in 663 Posts
foxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputation

Interesting. I actually listened to an interview with the gentleman behind .gay on CBC radio. (yes you can officially give me the ). I thought it was very fascinating. It all stems from how much capital can get behind it and can it be a viable business.

I immediately thought of ways that I could personally benefit from having different endevours that I have going on connected to such a TLD. From my perspective I think it would be a great tool for narrowing a market/product search.

Neat thread Waldo. Funny how things you hear in one place and then another.

Muriel Strode
foxyshaman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
domains, internet, technology