Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Celebrity, Music, Television, Internet Culture

Old 06-03-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
Rufusboi

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Partnered

Rufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST Reputation
Default The Real L Word

Has anyone heard about this new reality show Showtime is doing called "The Real L Word"?

http://www.sho.com/site/reallword/home.do

From the ads I have seen on Showtime (lots of sexual situations) it is my opinion the show is geared toward heterosexual males.

Just curious what everyone else thought?

Rufus
Rufusboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:45 PM   #2
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

I would classify this amongst other reality shows that I'm admittedly cynical about. They do not show all aspects of life but rather just the most controversial and "sexiest" Hollywood-like lives. Shows like Real Housewives of... ; etc. I wouldn't be surprised if the largest audience ends up being men because of who they picked to be their real lesbians (not saying they aren't but life isn't all about the Hollywood version of beauty, IMO).

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
Ebon

How Do You Identify?:
With my souls eyes.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
lol

Thanked 11,145 Times in 2,755 Posts
Ebon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST Reputation
Default -

Yeah this is ridiculous. Once again they are lacking some representation in the lesbian community. But what can we expect it's television.
Ebon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ebon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2010, 11:59 AM   #4
Random

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 5,327 Times in 1,379 Posts
Random Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST Reputation

Nods..

I keep thinking... I don't know any gay women like that...

Another show that doesn't represent any part of my life..

I would much rather watch US of Tara and Nurse Jackie..

Crazy, I can relate too...
Old 06-08-2010, 12:02 PM   #5
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,742 Times in 2,566 Posts
betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation

OH GOODIE! Because exactly what our community needs is for some of us to behave like raging asshats on television so that people who don't know any better will think we're ALL like that! *clappy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random View Post
I would much rather watch US of Tara and Nurse Jackie..
Fuck yeah! Did you watch the season finales last night?
Old 06-08-2010, 12:08 PM   #6
Random

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
Married

Random Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by betenoire View Post
Fuck yeah! Did you watch the season finales last night?
Oh yell yes... Was it just me or did they last like 12 mins?

I was like.. what... no... wait... come back...

Damn It!!!

I did love jackie at the end... you think.. hmmm maybe they are going to change her.. and then.. nope.. fuck you....
Old 06-08-2010, 12:20 PM   #7
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,742 Times in 2,566 Posts
betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random View Post
Oh yell yes... Was it just me or did they last like 12 mins?

I was like.. what... no... wait... come back...

Damn It!!!

I did love jackie at the end... you think.. hmmm maybe they are going to change her.. and then.. nope.. fuck you....
My favourite is how she just said BLOW ME.

Oh, and Neil is baaa-aaack! I love that guy! (now talking about USofT, of course)
Old 06-08-2010, 04:30 PM   #8
Random

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by betenoire View Post
My favourite is how she just said BLOW ME.

Oh, and Neil is baaa-aaack! I love that guy! (now talking about USofT, of course)
I knew who you were talking about..

I heart neil as well.. much better fit than mr. perfect..

(and you know that mr. perfect would have always held it over her head that he took on another mans child... Gag!!!)
Old 06-13-2010, 02:22 AM   #9
SFFemmePrincess

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Lesbian Princess
Preferred Pronoun?:
Female Pronouns
Relationship Status:
Single but also non negotiably non monogamous

SFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST ReputationSFFemmePrincess Has the BEST Reputation

So yeah, I just saw the teasers and "meet the cast" promos on On Demand for this show. I'm kinda sick to my stomach. I mean, I'll admit it, I watched and enjoyed The L Word, up until the last season, and I'll probably watch this show out of morbid curiosity, but it still makes me want to throw up a little in my mouth. For me the worst part about it is the cast. They put together a group of lesbians who are not representative of the community at large. And while I expected that, in their interviews it almost seems as though they are denouncing the community at large. It's like they are saying being gay is no big deal and we are just like everyone else. In fact, I think one of them said exactly that. It bugs me because we are not like everyone else. We are a unique, diverse, and beautiful community, and it makes me angry that these people are trying to represent us. I would have been fine if even one of them said, you know we are not the voice of the entire queer community, and we aren't going to try to be, we are just going to be ourselves and party in front of the cameras because we are getting paid to. They all kept saying "its a real as it can get" but it isn't. And it bugs the shit out of me!!! And again there are no butches or trans folk anywhere to be found, and that makes me angrier! GRR...

Thats my rant of the day...
SFFemmePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:49 AM   #10
MsDemeanor

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme
Relationship Status:
Happily married to MisterMeanor, the man of my dreams

Thanked 1,850 Times in 511 Posts
MsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufusboi View Post
Has anyone heard about this new reality show Showtime is doing called "The Real L Word"?

http://www.sho.com/site/reallword/home.do

From the ads I have seen on Showtime (lots of sexual situations) it is my opinion the show is geared toward heterosexual males.

Just curious what everyone else thought?

Rufus
I didn't even need to see the ads to know that it would be geared toward heterosexual males.

Reality shows suck, but they are cheap to make and people watch them. I really have no need to watch people yell at each other and fuck each other over, and that seems to be what reality shows are all about - at least that's what they feature as their big attraction on their commercials. And TV shows don't show "real" people, they show "beautiful" people and they show stereotypes of people and they show whatever will attract their target audience or their advertisers' target audience. Why would this show be different?
Old 06-13-2010, 08:07 AM   #11
Miss Scarlett
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:

Thanked 12,949 Times in 3,419 Posts
Miss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST Reputation

I saw this on my On Demand/Showtime menu and rolled my eyes - I hated, absolutely hated the original L Word (Shelia loves it and I indulge her as she indulges me when it comes to LOST). I don't much care for reality TV but now I'll have to check this out...
Miss Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:03 PM   #12
Manul

How Do You Identify?:
Humanlike

Manul Has the BEST ReputationManul Has the BEST ReputationManul Has the BEST ReputationManul Has the BEST ReputationManul Has the BEST ReputationManul Has the BEST ReputationManul Has the BEST ReputationManul Has the BEST ReputationManul Has the BEST ReputationManul Has the BEST ReputationManul Has the BEST Reputation

I just watched an episode. That's an hour of my life wasted I can't get back.