Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > RELATIONSHIPS, COMMUNITY, GROUPS > Parenting

Parenting This area is for discussing parenting, adoption and anything related to raising our kids!

Old 07-17-2011, 07:20 AM   #1
jelli

How Do You Identify?:
Femmilicious
Preferred Pronoun?:
*she*
Relationship Status:
And you said I wasn’t your type!!!

Thanked 1,079 Times in 377 Posts
jelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputationjelli Has the BEST Reputation
Question "Coming Out" as the child of a LGBTIQ family

Issues our kids may be exposed to for being "queerspawn" - kids of queers.

Depending on the ages of your kids, location, etc your kids are bound to deal with some ne"gay"tivity.

We have experienced, on varying levels, our kids being picked on, being proud of us/ashamed depending on their peer group, their reaction(or not) to terms like "gay" and "faggot"(or even using those terms), teachers making comments, churches making comments, no longer being allowed to participate in "role model" positions, not wanting to date or at least not wanting to tell their bf/gf, and so forth.

How will/have you prepare(d) them for dealing with their peers. Middle school and high school were no picnic for a lot of us(whether we were out or not), but having gay parents can definitely bring about a whole new set of challenges.

“Sometimes we make the right decision; sometimes we make the decision right.”

“Every conflict is a lesson in self-discovery for both of us. Sometimes it's only hindsight that makes it worth it. For you, I would do it all again.“
jelli is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jelli For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #2
Butchlei

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Lan
Relationship Status:
Married

Butchlei Has the BEST ReputationButchlei Has the BEST ReputationButchlei Has the BEST ReputationButchlei Has the BEST ReputationButchlei Has the BEST ReputationButchlei Has the BEST ReputationButchlei Has the BEST ReputationButchlei Has the BEST ReputationButchlei Has the BEST ReputationButchlei Has the BEST ReputationButchlei Has the BEST Reputation

My daughter is 9 years old and one of the best things we did this year was send her to Camp Highlight. Its a one week camp for children of LGBTiQ parents.
I really believe this experience changed her life ~

She is also a big Lady Gaga fan, very proud of her Queer family, and doesn't pay attention to "stupid" comments of "ignorant kids". I am sometimes amazed with her attitude and love for her family - nothing to hide and nothing to be ashamed of. I guess as the next generation grows, we are seeing a big change in how kids relate to gay issues.

I guess being from New York, and being legally married to her mother, are also big pluses.

Dont get me wrong ... i know its not all peachy ... but i hope that it will be a little better than when i was a kid
Butchlei is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Butchlei For This Useful Post:

Tags
children, coming out, family, peers, support