Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 02-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #21
JoSchmooze

How Do You Identify?:
Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, hym, mister or "sir", like I get called by strangers!

Thanked 10,989 Times in 1,627 Posts
JoSchmooze Has the BEST ReputationJoSchmooze Has the BEST ReputationJoSchmooze Has the BEST ReputationJoSchmooze Has the BEST ReputationJoSchmooze Has the BEST ReputationJoSchmooze Has the BEST ReputationJoSchmooze Has the BEST ReputationJoSchmooze Has the BEST ReputationJoSchmooze Has the BEST ReputationJoSchmooze Has the BEST ReputationJoSchmooze Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
ruff and Jo:

Did you watch the video? How do you feel about the number of TSA being charged with crimes? Do you feel it is proportional to the profession compared to other professions?

As a side question to you both: do you have any concern for the radiation put out by the backscatter machine?

Thank you for your input.
Yes, I watched the video....
The majority of the crimes were not
related to being a TSA agent...
I think Morgan had a valid point in that you can look at ANY
profession and see corruption...I believe that it is
proportional.....

As for the radiation....
I have had multiple surgeries in my lifetime..
I now have a fusion in my neck, a knee replacement,
the other knee has been arthroscopically scoped
three times, a hysterectomy, a tonsillectomy, bilateral
pulmonary emboli, too many fractures to count...multiple thallium stress tests....

I ain't gonna worry about the minute amount of radiation
from a backscatter machine....

As a good friend of mine says...
"You can't get out of this life alive"....

JoSchmooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JoSchmooze For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #22
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,435 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

it's pertinent to mention that i wore hijab (covered my hair and most of my body) up until about six months ago (on my id i'm covering so sometimes that still gets raised eyebrows). i'm also disabled and use a cane, but i don't "look disabled" (whatever that means, i guess because i'm 24), and so i usually encounter a lot of prejudice/disbelief because of that. also, one of my partners is an airport security consultant (he works separately from tsa - he's employed by the airport - but he helps run security and communications at an airport and also devises security tests for tsa).

since november 2010 i've flown out of tallahassee, jacksonville, philadelphia, charlottesville, kansas city, detroit, columbus, and miami, most of them multiple times. i always travel alone.

most security checkpoints don't have a plastic cane that i can use to go through the metal detector, and when they do have it, i can't use it to go through the full body scanner. normally things are hectic and they're not prepared to handle passengers with disabilities. i get separated from my carry-on luggage frequently. when i was covering i used to get my head and body patted down, no matter how small my scarf was or how obvious it was there was NO way i could be hiding a bomb under there because of my fear of being separated from my luggage and having things stolen (my partner has told me a lot of horror stories), i've never requested a private screening instead of the full-body scanner. i'd prefer it but i don't have the energy to deal with it.

i never bring anything unnecessary through the checkpoint. just my laptop, kindle, a notebook, my wallet, my phone. i wear shoes that are easy to get on and off and i never wear jewelry through the checkpoint. i'll go through extra pains to check everything else just so i don't have to deal with managing it through the checkpoint.

by far the worst experience i've had was in the jacksonville airport - i was put through the metal detector and the full-body scanner and patted down twice, then i was patted down again by every tsa agent that passed me on the way to the gate. having to put down my laptop case, figure out what to do with my cane while standing in the ridiculous pat-down position, and being humiliated in front of other passengers when it was obvious i was the only one being singled out for extra screening just made the whole experience pretty awful.

the good experiences mostly outweigh the bad. the good news is a lot of agents are too tired/overwhelmed to bother with a ton of extra screening, and every now and then i'll run into some who are really compassionate about the fact that i'm disabled and that makes screening more difficult, and who try very hard not to separate me from my belongings. even most of the ones who have made things difficult for me were at least not rude about it. it's made flying a rough experience which is kind of annoying because my amount of flying has been increasing a LOT, not decreasing...but i do love to fly. i just dread the security checkpoint a lot and i'm paranoid about making it to the gate in time to pre-board. i usually get to the airport 1.5-2 hours early just in case (1 hour is plenty of time for most people).

tsa is there to do their job. i get that. i have a lot of respect for them and everyone else working in airport security. but sometimes i question the efficacy of what they have to do (and i get that it's not their choice) - but, like, patting me down multiple times when it's obvious i'm not a threat rather than using some of that time/energy to pat down other passengers who might be? that doesn't seem efficient to me. but whatever. i don't have a grudge against tsa by any means. but i don't trust them with my belongings and i just wish their policies didn't make it so inconvenient for disabled passengers.
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #23
tapu

How Do You Identify?:
Understated butch.
Preferred Pronoun?:
I
Relationship Status:
Party of One

Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,103 Posts
tapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputation

There was this time when Tiny Son was about 5 and the TSA agent asked if we had anything flammable, and Tiny Son said, "Just shirts." His reasoning was that shirts could be used to start a fire. They told him shirts were okay.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:44 PM   #24
tapu

How Do You Identify?:
Understated butch.
Preferred Pronoun?:
I
Relationship Status:
Party of One

Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,103 Posts
tapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputation

Then there was this other time when Tiny Son was old enough to have discovered sarcasm and when the TSA agent said, Do you have any firearms or other weapons?, Tiny Son said, "Right, we have guns." He claims that I actually punched him in the chest, but I don't remember much from the time period immediately following.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #25
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Thanked 15,248 Times in 3,064 Posts
Andrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST Reputation

I truly appreciate the responses so far. Anyone else care to share their thoughts?

What we think about and thank about, we bring about!

Today I will treat my body with love and respect.
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:03 PM   #26
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,435 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

just thought i'd share that i'm traveling from kansas city international today (through dulles to charlottesville) and had a wonderfully painless experience with tsa a little bit of difficulty getting through the metal detector as they didn't have any way to assist me while my cane was going through screening, but it only took a minute so i could mostly walk on my own. it all went very quickly and i didn't get separated from my stuff, patted down, or not so randomly selected for additional screening. yay for good security checkpoint experiences!
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2012, 06:55 PM   #27
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Andrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by aishah View Post
just thought i'd share that i'm traveling from kansas city international today (through dulles to charlottesville) and had a wonderfully painless experience with tsa a little bit of difficulty getting through the metal detector as they didn't have any way to assist me while my cane was going through screening, but it only took a minute so i could mostly walk on my own. it all went very quickly and i didn't get separated from my stuff, patted down, or not so randomly selected for additional screening. yay for good security checkpoint experiences!
I am happy for you the experience was painless, and happy that you are able to walk without your cane for that minute. It is nice to hear of near painless experiences in addition to the bad ones.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrea For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #28
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

In case you missed it.... TSA unable to let a woman through the security check because there wasn't a woman TSA working should she need a pat down.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/30424404/detail.html

The Following User Says Thank You to Andrea For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #29
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Peanut butter is a liquid?

http://blog.sfgate.com/crime/2012/02/15/pot-in-the-peanut-butter-jar-doesnt-fool-tsa/

Old 02-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #30
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
If it's really creamy...

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #31
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by aishah View Post
LAX isn't much better, tho I did have the assistance of an arm from a TSA agent.

ETA: I have a neuro stimulator and can not go through the machine, so I always get the "pat down", my cane however got the full treatment.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2012, 04:23 PM   #32
SweetJane

How Do You Identify?:
stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
always solo

SweetJane Has the BEST ReputationSweetJane Has the BEST ReputationSweetJane Has the BEST ReputationSweetJane Has the BEST ReputationSweetJane Has the BEST ReputationSweetJane Has the BEST ReputationSweetJane Has the BEST ReputationSweetJane Has the BEST ReputationSweetJane Has the BEST ReputationSweetJane Has the BEST ReputationSweetJane Has the BEST Reputation

I've traveled quite a bit over the past 2 1/2 years experiencing TSA security checkpoints in Seattle, Phoenix, Ontairo California, Minneapolis, Albuquerque, and Dallas. I even traveled out of Phoenix the day before Thanksgiving. Never have I experienced any trouble. Security people have always been helpful and courteous---even when I pinged because I left my keys in my pocket. And I traveled with a lot of gear: a professional camera, a laptop, and a portable DVD player. They were always very professional and helpful. I went out of my way to thank them for what they do.
SweetJane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SweetJane For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #33
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,815 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

I have traveled a bit lately. Different experiences different airports.

One airport- no problem with sealed bottle of liquid med, with prescription written and signed by my MD. TSA told me it was great it was factory sealed.

Another airport, same med, same script, same seal: got me a public pat down in front of everyone in the security line. No offer of privacy, crotch and breasts included. Embarrassing, even if it was a TSA butch dyke doing the body check.

Third airport-TSA was happy it was unsealed this time. Checked it to make sure not explosives, no problem.

Three airports. Three different rules/treatments. Consistency would be nice.

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #34
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Anya* View Post
I have traveled a bit lately. Different experiences different airports.

One airport- no problem with sealed bottle of liquid med, with prescription written and signed by my MD. TSA told me it was great it was factory sealed.

Another airport, same med, same script, same seal: got me a public pat down in front of everyone in the security line. No offer of privacy, crotch and breasts included. Embarrassing, even if it was a TSA butch dyke doing the body check.

Third airport-TSA was happy it was unsealed this time. Checked it to make sure not explosives, no problem.

Three airports. Three different rules/treatments. Consistency would be nice.
Consistency would be nice. I flew twice last year. Both times from the same airport to the same airport and back again. Not one of the times was the same as the other.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrea For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #35
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

TSA lied about the one supposed terrorist they caught. And the supposed terrorist is paying for it.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/TSA-exaggerates-claims-about-2008-incident-at-OIA/-/1637132/8820472/-/f1k71tz/-/

Old 03-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #36
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

How much retraining does it take to learn how to do the job?

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/03/dozens_of_newark_tsa_employees.html

Old 03-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #37
stargazingboi

How Do You Identify?:
~
Preferred Pronoun?:
~

Thanked 8,321 Times in 1,626 Posts
stargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputationstargazingboi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Please share your Transportation Security Administration (TSA) experiences here. Be sure to denote if you are referring to before or after the “enhanced” pat downs began in November 2010.

I have not flown for over a year now and I find I am dreading any interaction with the TSA screeners due to the multitude of recent negative reports. I really want to know I am over reacting so my honey and I can fly away to some place warm for a week or so.

As much as I would love to know how everyone feels about the TSA, it would be my preference to hear from only those that have experienced TSA security. Thank you for your consideration.

Please tell me your experience(s) and be sure to include:

1) What airport you flew out of
2) Did you go through a metal detector or the backscatter
3) Did you alarm or opt out
4) Describe your pat down experience, if any
5) Describe the experience of anyone traveling with you or to visit you
6) State how you feel about the TSA and Homeland Security
7) Anything else you feel is pertinent

Over the past 10 years I have have gone through allot of air ports and find each time an experience all in itself.

I have been through metal detectors, been pat down, gone through the puff machine (they have you stand there and it puffs air at you from every angle and detects if you are carrying a dangerous chemical substance), I have been through the x-ray and I have had my bags gone through. I must look like a devious character because I get selected almost every time I fly (or it's just shit luck). I do find that if I fly through the same airport often the TSA folks get to know me and I get through much faster.

I have never set off any alarms..I tend to know what needs to be done to ensure I don't set them off. I don't carry anything that will cause issue. I have found if I can that mailing certain things ahead of time (liquid vits, medications, etc) make it easier for me.

My pat down experience always depends on my own mood really...which tends to directly relate to the look on the TSA person face that is patting me down (I've been known to be a tad cocky depending on the look I get)

I tend to travel alone

I have no issue with them when it comes to most things, but do think that they could handle certain private items better. I have witnessed others be embarrassed because they had certain things in a carry on or in their checked bags (some airports require you to stand there while they x-ray your checked bags). I have had a couples experiences in my life time with same issues..but my wit tends to embarrass them more when they have attempted such things with me.

Honestly, what they do doesn't really make me feel safer than I did before 9/11. Why? because they still allow things on the flight that can easily kill people...only takes 1 pen or pencil, and I can bring on as many as I like
stargazingboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #38
genghisfawn

How Do You Identify?:
Femme/Gentlewoman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
Happily married 05/17/14

Thanked 2,157 Times in 403 Posts
genghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputation

I've been fairly lucky with airports. I think it's because I'm always ready with my coat and shoes off, laptop and camera ready for the bin and usually with a don't-mess-with-me-I-have-no-coffee-so-I'm-looking-placidly-neutral look on my face.

I'm interested in what Corkey said about neuro stimulators... my brother is 21 with various disabilities, including epilepsy, and has a VNS. A friend came to stay with me last week, and he's taking nuclear medical technology, and he reassured me that they would pat him down. My concern is being able to stay with him, even if that means getting a pat-down myself (every time I've had a pat-down it's almost as though it didn't happen - very light touch, very respectful, open flat hands, no grabbing... my doctor gets more personal during a throat exam!)

My friend also reassured me that the amounts of radiation coming from a backscatter machine are negligible according to the recommended limit of radiation to which one should be exposed per year. Everyone has their own opinion about radiation exposure, though. Naturally I asked him all these questions because the answers are generally interesting!

I'm only wondering just because I wanted to take a flight within Canada sometime with my brother so we can visit our dad in another city. He's autistic with lots of learning disabilities, PDD and epilepsy. I just hope the pat-down doesn't freak him out and that they understand and respect that he's not exactly going to just stand there like a statue for him. I also hope that they understand that I'm in charge of not only my own effects, but of his safety, behaviour and belongings, as well.

Has anyone travelled with a special needs person? How has your treatment been at security? From the experts like Morgan, what should I keep in mind?

Thanks!
genghisfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to genghisfawn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #39
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by genghisfawn View Post
I've been fairly lucky with airports. I think it's because I'm always ready with my coat and shoes off, laptop and camera ready for the bin and usually with a don't-mess-with-me-I-have-no-coffee-so-I'm-looking-placidly-neutral look on my face.

I'm interested in what Corkey said about neuro stimulators... my brother is 21 with various disabilities, including epilepsy, and has a VNS. A friend came to stay with me last week, and he's taking nuclear medical technology, and he reassured me that they would pat him down. My concern is being able to stay with him, even if that means getting a pat-down myself (every time I've had a pat-down it's almost as though it didn't happen - very light touch, very respectful, open flat hands, no grabbing... my doctor gets more personal during a throat exam!)

My friend also reassured me that the amounts of radiation coming from a backscatter machine are negligible according to the recommended limit of radiation to which one should be exposed per year. Everyone has their own opinion about radiation exposure, though. Naturally I asked him all these questions because the answers are generally interesting!

I'm only wondering just because I wanted to take a flight within Canada sometime with my brother so we can visit our dad in another city. He's autistic with lots of learning disabilities, PDD and epilepsy. I just hope the pat-down doesn't freak him out and that they understand and respect that he's not exactly going to just stand there like a statue for him. I also hope that they understand that I'm in charge of not only my own effects, but of his safety, behaviour and belongings, as well.

Has anyone travelled with a special needs person? How has your treatment been at security? From the experts like Morgan, what should I keep in mind?

Thanks!
I haven't traveled with a special needs person but my immediate thought is contact the airline you are traveling on and see if they can help you navigate TSA et al. Often they provide a service like this for elderly or families traveling in groups. You may also want to go to the TSA (or Canadian equivalent) website and see if there is any FAQs on this kind of thing.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #40
genghisfawn

How Do You Identify?:
Femme/Gentlewoman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
Happily married 05/17/14

Thanked 2,157 Times in 403 Posts
genghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
I haven't traveled with a special needs person but my immediate thought is contact the airline you are traveling on and see if they can help you navigate TSA et al. Often they provide a service like this for elderly or families traveling in groups. You may also want to go to the TSA (or Canadian equivalent) website and see if there is any FAQs on this kind of thing.
Hi Linus,

Thanks very much! When the time comes, I'll certainly take your advice as it seems sound. It's not even travelling from Saskatoon I worry about - it's coming back through Edmonton, which is a much bigger airport. I suspect I'll have all the time in the world to sort it out both ways, though.

My brother is pretty trusting. If I say it's okay, he'll submit to a pat-down. I just don't want them abusing him or anything, because he can't tell me, so I want to supervise. This isn't to say that I think they will... it's to say that anything could happen.

I'll keep watching this thread... thanks!
genghisfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to genghisfawn For This Useful Post: