Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 08-12-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
Venus007

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Serene Highness ;}
Relationship Status:
Dreamily contemplating some outrage against conventional morality

Thanked 4,767 Times in 1,144 Posts
Venus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST Reputation
Default Collecting and Preserving Insects, Bugs etc

Ever since I was a little kid I have always had interesting insects around. Cicada husks, dragon flies, walking sticks, centipedes, millipedes, butterflies, moths, etc

Now that I live in Texas there is a rich wealth of new interesting creatures to find. I have decided that I am going to learn how to mount and preserve interesting specimens and was wondering if anyone else out there knows or is interested in this topic.

Do you collect bugs, tell me your story I wanna know?

Also any tips on their preservation and collection would be grand.

"So you'll die happily for your sins. You'd rather die in guilt then live in love?" Timothy Leary
Venus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Venus007 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2011, 01:13 PM   #2
Red Dirt Girl

How Do You Identify?:
Stone Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
PrincessPrettyPants, please.
Relationship Status:
Excellent.

Red Dirt Girl Has the BEST ReputationRed Dirt Girl Has the BEST ReputationRed Dirt Girl Has the BEST ReputationRed Dirt Girl Has the BEST ReputationRed Dirt Girl Has the BEST ReputationRed Dirt Girl Has the BEST ReputationRed Dirt Girl Has the BEST ReputationRed Dirt Girl Has the BEST ReputationRed Dirt Girl Has the BEST ReputationRed Dirt Girl Has the BEST ReputationRed Dirt Girl Has the BEST Reputation

Hi Venus. I don't really know anything about proper collecting/mounting techniques, but I do happen to have one hundred (I believe) thin, thin, thin insect mounting pins that I would be happy to send you if you're interested(but maybe you'd want to chat a bit first, be sure I'm safe before you give your address to a complete stranger. I am, but how do you know that?) I've saved them for years knowing someday I'd know what to do with them! My collecting experience involved a little plastic pink and purple net and me prowling around the back yard stooped over with my face in the plants. I froze my poor little treasures, so I can't even offer advice on the preservation end of things (although I can tell you that freezing does not keep them from decomposing and stinking to high heaven.) But... I can offer you mounting pins. Happy Hunting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venus007 View Post
Ever since I was a little kid I have always had interesting insects around. Cicada husks, dragon flies, walking sticks, centipedes, millipedes, butterflies, moths, etc

Now that I live in Texas there is a rich wealth of new interesting creatures to find. I have decided that I am going to learn how to mount and preserve interesting specimens and was wondering if anyone else out there knows or is interested in this topic.

Do you collect bugs, tell me your story I wanna know?

Also any tips on their preservation and collection would be grand.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:00 PM   #3
Venus007

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Serene Highness ;}
Relationship Status:

Venus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST Reputation

Thanks, Red. I actually just (yesterday) ordered some pins and a mounting block.

The best way to preserve the crawlies is to dry them or for soft bodied crawlies keep them in 70% isopropyl alcohol in a little jar.

"So you'll die happily for your sins. You'd rather die in guilt then live in love?" Timothy Leary
Old 08-12-2011, 05:19 PM   #4
Red Dirt Girl

How Do You Identify?:
Stone Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Excellent.

Red Dirt Girl Has the BEST ReputationRed Dirt Girl Has the BEST ReputationRed Dirt Girl Has the BEST ReputationRed Dirt Girl Has the BEST ReputationRed Dirt Girl Has the BEST ReputationRed Dirt Girl Has the BEST ReputationRed Dirt Girl Has the BEST ReputationRed Dirt Girl Has the BEST ReputationRed Dirt Girl Has the BEST ReputationRed Dirt Girl Has the BEST ReputationRed Dirt Girl Has the BEST Reputation

Well happy collecting then!
Old 08-12-2011, 05:24 PM   #5
MissItalianDiva

How Do You Identify?:
Miss Twiggy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious and that shit doesn't sound atrocious!
Relationship Status:
divorce happens..all that glitters ain't gold

Thanked 7,161 Times in 1,793 Posts
MissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST Reputation

LOL this thread is awesome but still gives me the creeps
MissItalianDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:38 PM   #6
StillettoDoll

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Lady
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 3,878 Times in 1,484 Posts
StillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST Reputation

Hi Venus!
Wow I didn't know you like bugs! I love them too!, you must go to the insectarium in New Orleans if you ever get a chance!
Such beautiful creatures!
I cant wait to go again.

http://www.auduboninstitute.org/visit/insectarium

Hug a bug!
Old 08-20-2011, 04:31 PM   #7
Venus007

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Serene Highness ;}
Relationship Status:

Ooooh! Doll, that sounds fantastic! I would love to go to a bug zoo!

I really love those beautiful beetles that look like gems.

On a further note: I have a cricket, a locust and a cicada all ready to mount when my spreader board gets here.

What you have to do is put the dried bug in a "relaxing chamber" which is a large jar with cotton on the bottom wet with water and an antifungal like phenol. The bug is placed on a tray or, in my case, in a ramekan and that tray is placed on top of the wet cotton. The lid is sealed and in several hours for a small insect or a day for a large insect it becomes moist enough to manipulate without breaking. Then one poses the bug and sets the pins so it retains the pose and waits for it to dry.

I am waiting for my spreader bar (no, not that kind you delightful perverts). A spreader bar is used to spread insect wings and put them in place so when they dry you can display them in all their winged beauty.

By the way it is better to mount them when they are fresh but since all my bugs are harvested once they are dead (I don't like the idea of wantonly killing a bug for a display) I always have to use the relaxation chamber.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Venus007 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2011, 01:47 AM   #8
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

Old 08-21-2011, 01:49 AM   #9
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

Old 08-21-2011, 01:51 AM   #10
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

i know this is barely related but i googled insect photography and there are some amazing pics!!

Old 08-21-2011, 04:56 AM   #11
Red Dirt Girl

How Do You Identify?:
Stone Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Excellent.

God how I wish I go into a relaxation chamber.

(and then get mounted )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venus007 View Post
Ooooh! Doll, that sounds fantastic! I would love to go to a bug zoo!

I really love those beautiful beetles that look like gems.

On a further note: I have a cricket, a locust and a cicada all ready to mount when my spreader board gets here.

What you have to do is put the dried bug in a "relaxing chamber" which is a large jar with cotton on the bottom wet with water and an antifungal like phenol. The bug is placed on a tray or, in my case, in a ramekan and that tray is placed on top of the wet cotton. The lid is sealed and in several hours for a small insect or a day for a large insect it becomes moist enough to manipulate without breaking. Then one poses the bug and sets the pins so it retains the pose and waits for it to dry.

I am waiting for my spreader bar (no, not that kind you delightful perverts). A spreader bar is used to spread insect wings and put them in place so when they dry you can display them in all their winged beauty.

By the way it is better to mount them when they are fresh but since all my bugs are harvested once they are dead (I don't like the idea of wantonly killing a bug for a display) I always have to use the relaxation chamber.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:49 AM   #12
Venus007

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Serene Highness ;}
Relationship Status:

LOL, yes it does sound like a fabulous night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dirt Girl View Post
God how I wish I go into a relaxation chamber.

(and then get mounted )

Old 08-21-2011, 09:54 AM   #13
Venus007

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Serene Highness ;}
Relationship Status:

Ooooh Martina, thanks for the great bug pictures!
Now if I could figure out a way for all the aged cool bugs to just drop dead where I can find them and before the ants get them it would work great

The Following User Says Thank You to Venus007 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2011, 07:51 PM   #14
Tawse

How Do You Identify?:
TG Gender Queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 2,739 Times in 644 Posts
Tawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Loved bugs my entire life! Used to catch bees and swear that the next one wouldn't sting me.. that eventually they would know I was a friend - or I would become immune to their venom. Neither worked actually.

I never said I was the sharpest pencil - just that I loved bugs lol

Can't collect and preserve them now because I value my wifes heartbeat and the skin on my back.. but she does compromise by buying me college books and field guides to bugs..and she does tolerate the occasional "hold this caterpillar so I can get a good shot" requests.

Then there was this time I tattooed ants on my foot... she's still not over that. lol
Tawse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tawse For This Useful Post:

Tags
bugs, collecting, insects, preserving