Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Celebrity, Music, Television, Internet Culture

Old 07-15-2010, 01:32 PM   #61
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation

Vatican: Ordination Of Women A 'Grave Crime'

/snip

One new element included lists the attempted ordination of women as a "grave crime" subject to the same set of procedures and punishments meted out for sex abuse.

That drew immediate criticism from women's ordination groups, who said making a moral equivalent between women priests and child rapists was offensive.
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2010, 09:58 AM   #62
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation
Default Canadian Officials Ban Pamela Anderson's PETA Ad

Canada Bans Pam's PETA Ad

Officials claim it's sexist

(NEWSER) – Pamela Anderson managed to get her PETA ad banned in Canada without even going naked. She was in Montreal to unveil the pro-vegetarian ad, in which she wears a bikini while marked up like a piece of meat, but officials denied the event a permit because, they say, the ad is sexist. One official attempts to explain: “It is not so much controversial, as it goes against all principles public organizations are fighting for in the everlasting battle of equality between men and women.”

Read more: http://www.newser.com/story/95729/ca...#ixzz0u3BcM2m4

Last edited by Soon; 07-18-2010 at 10:03 AM. Reason: added article
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2010, 10:08 AM   #63
Stearns

How Do You Identify?:
Trans Man
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Husband

Stearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSoonIsNow View Post

/snip

One new element included lists the attempted ordination of women as a "grave crime" subject to the same set of procedures and punishments meted out for sex abuse.

That drew immediate criticism from women's ordination groups, who said making a moral equivalent between women priests and child rapists was offensive.
I suppose they'll just get transferred, then, as that's how they "punish" priests who sexually abuse kids. Transfer 'em.
Stearns is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stearns For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2010, 11:17 AM   #64
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastHome View Post
Done.. only takes a few seconds. This is so insane! looking at violence against women globally is so important.
Thanks for posting this, SOON.

It was commuted, but now she needs to worry about hanging.

Below is a petition to stop all stonings. Everyone please consider signing this one, as well.

There are 15 people awaiting execution by stoning. 13 of them are for convictions of adultery. 12 females and 1 male.

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/stop_stoning/?rc=fb

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2010, 02:55 PM   #65
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,829 Times in 3,199 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:

/snip

Yeppers, offensive! Straight from centuries of patriarchy in the Catholic Church. Sometimes, it is really hard for me as an ex-Catholic to see this stuff. There were some good things in my life as such, but, this is so ugly!! There are times that I will go to a Mass, usually something like an outdoor service at the grotto in Portland or Yosemite, maybe at a Newman Center parish. There are still rituals that can give me some peace (if I leave the garbage behind). But, then I see things like this and all of the child sexual abuse cases and priests just being transferred along with women not being able to be ordained priests, and I go bonkers. Just bonkers!! It is hard to be someone that seeks spiritual grace in a world like this!! No matter what one does to find some kind of sane spiritual path!!
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2010, 07:18 AM   #66
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Policing Female Masculinity: Much Ado About Rachel Maddow’s Yearbook Photo!

http://www.autostraddle.com/policing...-gender-52441/

"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2010, 07:24 AM   #67
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Lady_Snow View Post

That was a great article that covered so much of how EVEN TODAY (or moreso today?) women's gender/presentation is policed.

thank you for sharing it (even though i'm steamed!)
Old 07-19-2010, 09:59 AM   #68
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Dominant Stone Butch Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 22,781 Times in 4,469 Posts
BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Yes, this is a great article. Young, blonde and thin and you are "tappable." Masculine female- no. Hah, that's one of my favorite butch advantages- that I don't get a lot of unwelcome attention from males. Other lesbian/queer females do not always have that same luxury.

We see here the same type of catty comments as with Cynthia Nixon's partner.

The article does a great job discussing how female appearance and sexuality is policed via heteronormative standards and the deep anxiety over female masculinity in our culture.

In the words of Rachel Maddow:

“I’m not Anchorbabe, and I’m never going to be. My goal is to do the physical appearance stuff in such a way that it is not comment-worthy.”

Sorry world, we are not your babes.
BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2010, 02:15 PM   #69
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullDog View Post
Yes, this is a great article. Young, blonde and thin and you are "tappable." Masculine female- no. Hah, that's one of my favorite butch advantages- that I don't get a lot of unwelcome attention from males. Other lesbian/queer females do not always have that same luxury.

We see here the same type of catty comments as with Cynthia Nixon's partner.

The article does a great job discussing how female appearance and sexuality is policed via heteronormative standards and the deep anxiety over female masculinity in our culture.

In the words of Rachel Maddow:

“I’m not Anchorbabe, and I’m never going to be. My goal is to do the physical appearance stuff in such a way that it is not comment-worthy.”

Sorry world, we are not your babes.
Thanks, Bully! Rachael RAWKS!

Did you catch her in a veil in Afghanistan for her special? Quite a nice swagger goin' on below that darn veil in her chinos! Loved it. Also was glad she respected customs- that had to be hard for her to dawn!!! I cracked up because it reminded me so of myself back when in prom gowns, etc. I always looked like I was in drag!

I really appreciate Maddow's presentation of female masculinity. It has to be hard at times with her show and bosses, etc. even with enlightenment- it is national TV media. Another time while watching her show, she got up and walked over to some prop. I also cracked-up then as below the usual kind of gender neutral tops, (probably discussed length prior to her show being aired), she wears, she had on her jeans and boots! Almost seemed like she had an extra twinkle in her eyes as she walked over.. and yup, the swagger!
Old 07-19-2010, 02:31 PM   #70
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,742 Times in 2,566 Posts
betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Canada Bans Pam's PETA Ad

Officials claim it's sexist
Ugh, that picture really bothered me.

Quote:

More of the same societal illness that loves Ellen (cuz she seems friendly and not confrontational and is appropriately emotional (uses tears!) at the appropriate moments and is pretty) and hates Rosie (cuz she's loud and opinionated and fat).
Old 07-19-2010, 04:45 PM   #71
Heart

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
rainbows!

Thanked 2,531 Times in 412 Posts
Heart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST Reputation

Thanks for posting this betenoire:

It's not just butches/masculine women/ or queers though -- it's all women who claim power. Think of the reactions to Hillary Clinton. There is always an effort to reduce powerful women to patriarchal standards of desirability.
Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Heart For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2010, 05:23 PM   #72
Heart

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
rainbows!

Heart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST Reputation
Default Here's a goodie...

Dr. Nancy Snyderman begins her comments about Mel Gibson's threats and violence by calling the target of his rage "passive-aggressive," and accusing her of 'baiting" him. Where do they find these so-called experts?

You can read what the Men's Anti-violence Council has to say about this and also click on the link included to see the clip.

I sent a scathing e-mail to the Today Show.

http://mensantiviolencecouncil.com/2...he-today-show/
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Heart For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2010, 05:35 PM   #73
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,870 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart View Post
Dr. Nancy Snyderman begins her comments about Mel Gibson's threats and violence by calling the target of his rage "passive-aggressive," and accusing her of 'baiting" him. Where do they find these so-called experts?

You can read what the Men's Anti-violence Council has to say about this and also click on the link included to see the clip.

OMGEE. Was this the interview with 2 Doctors? I was listening to the TV the other morning going to work and heard the news anchor say something about interviewing a psychologist and a Doctor and both of them were women but I just couldnt fucking believe that both of them were going on and on about how Oksana was "passive-aggressive" and "really knew how to push his buttons".
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:45 PM   #74
Heart

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
rainbows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
OMGEE. Was this the interview with 2 Doctors? I was listening to the TV the other morning going to work and heard the news anchor say something about interviewing a psychologist and a Doctor and both of them were women but I just couldnt fucking believe that both of them were going on and on about how Oksana was "passive-aggressive" and "really knew how to push his buttons".
This was was with the doctor and with a Westchester ex district attorney, Janine Pirro, known for prosecuting batterers, (but better known for her husband's shady real estate deals, of course). Pirro tried to counter what Snyderman was saying. You can see the clip if you click on the article I linked.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heart For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2010, 08:08 PM   #75
Stearns

How Do You Identify?:
Trans Man
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Husband

Stearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

I also sent a scathing e-mail to the Today Show/NBC for their irresponsibility and for potentially placing battered women in even more jeopardy. I also e-mailed the editor of Good Housekeeping, suggesting that the magazine find another female doctor to contribute health columns, as Nancy Snyderman is obviously no friend to women. I also included the link to the Men's Anti-Violence Council blog.
Stearns is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stearns For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2010, 11:00 PM   #76
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Thanks for posting this betenoire:

It's not just butches/masculine women/ or queers though -- it's all women who claim power. Think of the reactions to Hillary Clinton. There is always an effort to reduce powerful women to patriarchal standards of desirability.
So very true!
Old 07-20-2010, 01:08 PM   #77
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,165 Times in 2,007 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

Here is some good news. I had no idea Geena Davis founded this non-profit institute addressing Gender In The Media. She was recently appointed to the State of California's Womens Commission.

After you read the article, go check out her "Gender In The Media" site.

http://www.thegeenadavisinstitute.org/

http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalert...nts-geena.html

July 20, 2010

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has appointed actress Geena Davis to the
Commission on the Status of Women.

The Academy Award-winning actress is the founder of the Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media, which seeks to increase female characters and reduce gender stereotypes in children's programming.

Davis, a Democrat, is known for her roles in dozens of films and television shows, including "Tootsie," "Beetlejuice" and "A League of Their Own."

The position, which pays a $100 per diem, requires Senate confirmation.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2010, 10:21 AM   #78
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Default via Feministing:

Women in Mexico convicted of homicide for abortions

By VANESSA | Published: JULY 23, 2010

The Latin American Herald Tribune brings attention to the reality that exists when abortion is criminalized. Six women are currently serving 25-30 year sentences in Guanajuato, Mexico for having abortions. Their conviction? Homicide.

Reproductive justice organization Centro Las Libres has been working to bring attention to Mexico’s criminalization and incarceration of women in attempts to change laws and free the women who are currently in prison; they’ve been able to release one so far. Via LAHT:

Since the beginning of the decade, more than 40 women have been put on trial for abortion, which is punishable by up to three years in prison under the Guanajuato penal code.

“The government always has denied that it imprisoned people for the crime of abortion. We had to go from prison to prison to verify it,” said the Centro Las Libres director.

The legislation regarding abortion varies in Mexico’s 32 separate jurisdictions. While in Mexico City it is legal, some states continue to treat abortion as a criminal offense.

Even so, federal law includes some circumstances under which any woman, regardless of where she may live, can have an abortion, namely in the case of rape or risk to her life because of the pregnancy.

On top of that, what’s worth mentioning is that the conservative-led state of Guanajuato — while having the highest rate of teen pregnancy in Mexico — still refuses to allow sex education in its schools.

h/t to MAC.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:37 PM   #79
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation
Default Good news for a change.

Dear Corkey

We are thrilled to report that earlier this week Congress passed the Tribal Law and Order Act as an amendment to H.R. 725, a groundbreaking and long-overdue piece of legislation that tackles violent crime against Native American and Alaska Native women.

A huge thank you to the thousands of Amnesty supporters like you who took action to make this human rights victory possible.

Because of you, Native American and Alaska Native women will no longer be trapped in a mindboggling, jurisdictional maze that allows perpetrators to rape with impunity.

Every Native American and Alaska Native woman will be given the chance to:

get a police response,
have access to a rape kit,
have the opportunity to see her case prosecuted, and
see justice served for crimes committed against her.
Spurred by our hard-hitting 2007 report, Maze of Injustice, Amnesty's millions-strong, global human rights movement has worked tirelessly to ensure this legislation became a reality.

People like you have set the stage for reversing the devastating rate of sexual violence that Native American and Alaska Native women have endured for much too long.

This is what we can accomplish when we work together.

I want to thank you again for all you do. This is a truly amazing victory for women’s human rights and we couldn’t have done it without you.

Thank you,
Rachel and the rest of the Stop Violence Against Women team
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2010, 03:57 PM   #80
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkey View Post

Dear Corkey

We are thrilled to report that earlier this week Congress passed the Tribal Law and Order Act as an amendment to H.R. 725, a groundbreaking and long-overdue piece of legislation that tackles violent crime against Native American and Alaska Native women.

A huge thank you to the thousands of Amnesty supporters like you who took action to make this human rights victory possible.

Because of you, Native American and Alaska Native women will no longer be trapped in a mindboggling, jurisdictional maze that allows perpetrators to rape with impunity.

Every Native American and Alaska Native woman will be given the chance to:

get a police response,
have access to a rape kit,
have the opportunity to see her case prosecuted, and
see justice served for crimes committed against her.
Spurred by our hard-hitting 2007 report, Maze of Injustice, Amnesty's millions-strong, global human rights movement has worked tirelessly to ensure this legislation became a reality.

People like you have set the stage for reversing the devastating rate of sexual violence that Native American and Alaska Native women have endured for much too long.

This is what we can accomplish when we work together.

I want to thank you again for all you do. This is a truly amazing victory for women’s human rights and we couldn’t have done it without you.

Thank you,
Rachel and the rest of the Stop Violence Against Women team
Thrilled to see this. Yet, have continued anger about how little awareness and just plain recognition of crimes against Native women in the US! The reservation system is yet, one more white, form of racism that sexisism persists in. It also has served to marginalize Natives in every economic institution we have plus education- a civil rights nightmare. Why is it that the last POC to be discussed in the US race conversations are the first inhabitants? Never fails to amaze me. This system is nothing short of the plantation system (or the more modern day project system) that African Americans endured and continue to deal with across US racial lines. Just keep track of where they are and keep them there and control shall never be lost. What is wrong with us?
The Following User Says Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post: