Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,992 Times in 2,594 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation
Default Passing - Is it a Privilege?

I began delving into passing privilege in the (very interesting and intriguing) thread about femme privilege but I think it warrants its own discussion - available to everybody in the community - because there are multiple forms of passing (or not passing) in this community.

This excerpt is from an article regarding mostly transwomen (from annelawrence.com), but I thought a lot of what was said would be relevant in a broader context as well. I really like how much of this is worded, because I think it hits on several important key points regarding the privilege of passing, and also a few points regarding the pain/disadvantages of passing.

*As an aside - where are the transwomen? Do we have transfemmes or other transwomen among us here? If not, I hope they discover us at some point and that they feel welcome here.*

Quote:
...although most of them don't realize it, gay, lesbian and bisexual people also are gender variant, because they are defying cultural norms for their sexualities in their same-gender sexual relationships. Because passing privilege explains the power imbalances between overt and covert forms of gender variance amongst the sexual minorities, it becomes equally relevant to gay, lesbian and bisexual people as well as to transgendered people. As such, it is a key component of transfeminist analysis, as important as male privilege has been to earlier waves of feminism.

Passing privilege creates a significant power imbalance in the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered community, since it allows its possessors to escape the intense societal stigmatization and marginalization associated with being queer. Those who pass as nontransgendered or straight simply do not experience as much external oppression as those who do not. The lack of passing privilege makes it far more likely for someone, regardless of their sexual identity, to fall victim to discrimination, harassment and violence. Indeed, anyone who is perceived as queer - regardless of their sexual orientation - either lacks passing privilege or has forfeited it, by choice or by an overt act.

The impact of passing privilege on the political "LGBT" movement have been painfully obvious. Because the majority of gay men and lesbians possess it, they have the luxury of dominating the movement with their gay and lesbian identity politics which erases the sizable visible gender variance within their own communities. Gay and lesbian identity politics dumbs down the reason for their oppression to invisible acts committed mostly in the privacy of bedrooms. But who you sleep with doesn't get you into trouble - it's what you look like and how you act. One would think that visibly gender variant gay men and lesbians would be our immediate allies, but traditionally they have been almost as marginalized as trans people by their passing privileged peers. The covert and overt forms of gender variance, as manifested by the passing privileged and the visibly queer, have created deep divisions within and amongst the sexual minorities. One of the most glaring consequences is a "civil rights" movement that seeks to protect only the (already passing) privileged, with a leadership all too willing to sacrifice its community's most vulnerable members, as it panders to the genderphobia of straight legislators.

But the impact of passing privilege is felt far beyond just the LGBT political movement. Passing privilege has some unique qualities that separates it from other traditional forms of privilege which are bestowed at birth. For some transgendered and transsexual people seeking to live full-time, passing privilege can be gained through the administration of exogenous hormones, various cosmetic procedures and surgeries. However, the majority ultimately fail to obtain passing privilege, ironically prevented by their lack of birth privilege. There are simply too many physical characteristics produced by the surge of hormones during adolescence that cannot be erased by hormones and surgery in later years. Moreover, accessing these medical technologies is difficult and expensive, and usually a function of class and race privilege. Thus all transgendered people who go full-time will, at least at some point during their gender transitions, lack passing privilege. Even those who pass well enough while clothed or made-up lose their passing privilege in intimate situations - which is why many do not get routine medical check-ups, or even seek treatment for acute illnesses.

And there is an even darker side to passing privilege. Although no one talks about it, a hierarchy exists amongst transsexual women based upon it. In my own estimation, only about a third of transsexual women pass perfectly - thus allowing them to conceal their transsexual status. Passing privilege creates friction in our support groups between those with and without it. The passing privileged are usually a group's most popular members, and coveted as companions. Sadly, those who lack passing privilege are often rudely rebuffed by those who possess it when their friendship is sought. Thus passing privilege creates divisiveness even within our support groups, as it destroys solidarity and cripples our community- building efforts.
I feel like some of the stuff said about transwomen in the above quote applies also to femmes - at least to some extent. We don't talk toooo much about femme hierarchy, but I think there is some hierarchy associated with passing for straight - or for the amount of surprise and disbelief a femme gets when she imparts she is a lesbian and how that's both frustrating, disheartening and, at least for some femmes, also complimentary.

There's a lot here. I'm coming from a femme perspective at the moment, but I'm guessing there are a lot of perspectives here for people in this community who either pass or don't pass - and it could relate to any number of circumstances - passing or not passing for straight, lesbian, butch, femme, woman, man, cisgender, a certain race, nationality, ethinicity, religion, age, class, income-level, education level, etc.

Although these are various, I think perspectives on any of them from people who do or do not pass would or could be a really meaty and interesting discussion. Also, I would love other perspectives from books or articles or interviews or blog posts or whatever it is that speaks to you regarding passing.

My main question is - is it really a privilege? I don't have that answer for myself right now, (or, more accurately, I find myself alternating between "yes" and "no" and "maybe so") but I am very interested in getting a better and broader understanding.

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:

Tags
passing privilege