Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Support: Abuse, Addiction, Coping

Old 06-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #961
not2shygrrl

How Do You Identify?:
as a Lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
under the cover of starry starry nights...enjoying a warm fire in the pit !

Thanked 2,454 Times in 546 Posts
not2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren_Q View Post
You know, at first this bothered me, but after thinking about it I'm going with "take what you want and leave the rest."

For those who are not smoking, whether by sheer will power, patches, gum, zyban, chantex, vape, lollipops, cinnamon sticks, toothpicks, gritting your teeth, sucking your thumb, etc. Good luck and good wishes.

Loren

yanno Loren.....I 100% support what you say here! Successes are just that! I would venture to say ALL vices are replaced by something else, and in no way is the success diminished or less than any other success..... this opinion is how I choose to see people in the "quitters" here! Go quitters!!! How many times in life is it cool to be a quitter??!! Well it is here!

*singing* 'I'm a member of the quitters club, the quitters club, the quitters club!
not2shygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to not2shygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2013, 05:38 AM   #962
Daktari

Does a herion addict stop being a drug addict if they substitute their drug of choice and it's method of ingestion for methadone on a daily basis?

I know my opinion is not a popular one.

At least there's a thread for those of you who do chose substitute one habit for another one.

Honestly, I don't really care if anyone agrees with my unpopular opinion, I know that I too would have railed against such an opinion when I was a smoker.

It's not rocket science. To stop being 'addicted' to something you stop doing it... and it's substitutes.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #963
Loren_Q

How Do You Identify?:
Loren. If you want to know about me, just ask.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her, but I'm not that picky.
Relationship Status:
it's complicated...

Loren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST Reputation
Default To each there own...

This thread is about kicking the smoking habit. In fact the OP mentions using a substitute to "cut the smoke from my lungs", etc. and the final question in the original post is "What is your remedy??? Or Your Game plan?'

I've posted on this thread in that spirit and laud all who have decided to find a way, their way, to stop smoking (and stay stopped).

FTR, I'm 30 years clean and 29 years sober. And I don't for a minute think that I'm 'cured' or that I'm no longer an addict; I am simply in recovery today, and let me tell you being an atheist in AA is an adventure.

My take on smoking is different from my take on drugs and alcohol because of how smoking affects (or doesn't affect) me.

When I was drinking and using, my values would change; I would lie, cheat, manipulate, steal. I would emotionally damage myself and others.

When clean and sober but smoking, my values didn't change; I didn't lie, cheat, manipulate or steal, but I was doing physical damage to myself and others.

I needed to get clean and sober not just because it was killing me, but because I hated being a person without values or integrity.

Smoking didn't take away my values, but it will shorten my life. I need to not smoke because I want a long and healthy life.

Your mileage may vary.

and the title should have been "To each their own..." yeesh.

"Everything in the world is about sex, except sex. Sex is about power."
Oscar Wilde
Loren_Q is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Loren_Q For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #964
Loren_Q

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
it's complicated...

Loren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST ReputationLoren_Q Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
FTR, I'm 30 years clean and 29 years sober.
Oops, that's 30 years clean, 19 years sober... washed my hands and I can't do a think with them.

Oscar Wilde
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Loren_Q For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #965
uncommondialogue

How Do You Identify?:
lesbian; BEMME: Femme with a Butch brain; think Jill from The REAL L Word
Preferred Pronoun?:
SHE
Relationship Status:
Single and looking

uncommondialogue Has the BEST Reputationuncommondialogue Has the BEST Reputationuncommondialogue Has the BEST Reputationuncommondialogue Has the BEST Reputationuncommondialogue Has the BEST Reputationuncommondialogue Has the BEST Reputationuncommondialogue Has the BEST Reputationuncommondialogue Has the BEST Reputationuncommondialogue Has the BEST Reputationuncommondialogue Has the BEST Reputationuncommondialogue Has the BEST Reputation
Default Vaping

Too many people just don't know what vaping is really all about. There is no "smoke" like a traditional cigarette taken into the lung...it is harmless vapor. I just had a doctor follow-up visit yesterday and he is thrilled. He can see how clear my lungs are now and there is no more smoker's cough. For a lot of smokers as I mentioned before it is a lot of the hand/mouth stuff going on. In fact, one of the ingredients in the e-juice is used in breathing medications in inhalers. There are non of the 400 additives in e-juice that cigarettes contain and certainly no carcinogins.

This is a tasty hobby for me now, and gives me more satisfaction than any cigarette taste did. There are a plethora of e-juices out there that taste scrumptious.

All I suggest is that vaping is a much safer alternative and works for thousand and thousands of people and verifiable benefits to their health and well-being.

Semper Fi

uncommondialogue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to uncommondialogue For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2013, 11:31 PM   #966
not2shygrrl

How Do You Identify?:
as a Lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:

not2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputation
Default 4 years!

Well it has been 4 years for me as a non smoker. Have I been tempted...hell yea......have I been successful being a non smoker....hell yea but not without those moments that had me struggling at times. What people think of what I say here is important to me, as I do rally for all of us to quit, or continue to quit and even continue to try if that is the goal! By me posting here I am saying I care, and kudos are just that......unconditional!! If you are reading this, then you are human......imperfect. What cannot be taken from any one of us?.....is our accomplishments! So I applaud you "quitters" as I affectionately refer to you all and myself as. If vaping helps you then vape! Not smoking carcinogens surely is a healthy alternative. I will never diminish nor push you backwards from where you proudly stand! On ward and up ward!! I agree with the OP here, and its about giving support, and my own twist is adding respect for peoples choices on how they quit. Why you do this or how you do this is part of what leads you to learn and grow. I think that is beautiful!

Last edited by not2shygrrl; 06-25-2013 at 11:44 PM. Reason: added words
Old 06-25-2013, 11:43 PM   #967
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,871 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

I'm not a fan of the judgment call about what vaping is or is not, especially in context of people who are kicking an addictive, harmful substance. I really hope this thread remains positive and that those who think vaping is bullshit or an exchange of addictions consider that it's really not your call to label someone else's path to getting healthy.

I know several folks who vape (myself being one!) juice that has zero nicotine. The juice is basically the same ingredients that comprise asthma inhalers. Even further, there are a great many folks who are "mouth vapers" who don't actually inhale but rather puff on their stick.

Anyway, not trying to be an asshole but any step toward clearing your body of those hundreds of terrible chemicals in cigarettes is a GREAT step forward.

I haven't smoked since January 3rd of this year and I can honestly say I will NEVER smoke again.
I kicked the habit with the help of my vape stick. I now only vape in social situations but don't even regularly puff anymore. I chew gum and drink water when my mouth gets antsy.

I applaud every single person in this thread who is taking the step toward health! This is an amazing gift to give to yourself (and the people who love you!)
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2013, 11:45 PM   #968
Lady Pamela

How Do You Identify?:
A Lady..Femme..Free Spirit with a touch of survivalist woman in me.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Spiritual Warrior..She Ra..Baby Doll, or anything close..ha!
Relationship Status:
In perfect love and perfect trust I believe that will be directed..for now Just friends in my life.

1 Highscore

Location: Live in Utah but take trips to Arkansas. Plan to move there eventually.
Thanked 5,939 Times in 1,609 Posts
Lady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST Reputation

Checking in to say hello as see how everyone is?

When negative thoughts come to mind,
Let them die stillborn.
Speak and do posotive in any situation,
And watch your dreams grow and flurish.
If you can't say anything posotive, Zip it up.
Do not give birth to that which you do not want to see grow.
See it, Believe it, Own it, Have it!
~*~ Lady Pamela ~*~
Lady Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lady Pamela For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2013, 07:48 AM   #969
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,893 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Pamela View Post
Checking in to say hello as see how everyone is?
Just want to say that I think it is great that you keep this thread going. It reminds people who want to quit that we are here. I liken it to a 12 step meeting being available to people with addictions. It always makes me smile to see that you have hit another month and it reminds newbies that it can be done !

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2013, 10:12 PM   #970
Lady Pamela

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
In perfect love and perfect trust I believe that will be directed..for now Just friends in my life.

1 Highscore

Location: Live in Utah but take trips to Arkansas. Plan to move there eventually.
Lady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
Just want to say that I think it is great that you keep this thread going. It reminds people who want to quit that we are here. I liken it to a 12 step meeting being available to people with addictions. It always makes me smile to see that you have hit another month and it reminds newbies that it can be done !
Thank was so sweet thank you.
Though I am smoke free I am humbled by those who frequent here.
I am also reminded often what has happened and what could happen.
But honestly, If I can help one die hard smoker as I was then it also helps me.
I truely do not want anyone to hear they have empjysima..and more so the big C word.

Still keeping fingers crossed on my own stuff about that.

But thanks again...You as well as others helped to keep me going as well.
It has been a droup effort..not just mine.

Have a great evening to you.

Let them die stillborn.
~*~ Lady Pamela ~*~
Old 07-03-2013, 11:50 PM   #971
Lady Pamela

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

1 Highscore

17 Months Today!
Have a blessed day today!

Yes I know counting this far in may seem very silly..lol
But it is one of my most greatest achievements..It shows others it can be done...And I truely do celebrate my new life.

So for the record...I continue to count..lol

Hope you all are doing well and keeping strong.
For those who have had a moment, IT IS ONLY THAT..1 moment.
Try untill you get it I say...I had several attempts.

Blessing to you all.

Let them die stillborn.
~*~ Lady Pamela ~*~
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lady Pamela For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2013, 10:08 PM   #972
not2shygrrl

How Do You Identify?:
as a Lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:

Default gotta be one of my favs....

Ahhh the number 17......one of my favs for it is the day of the month I was born! So I have always been partial to 17! What a great accomplishment LP.....looking forward to many more for you!

Quote:
17 Months Today!
Have a blessed day today!

Yes I know counting this far in may seem very silly..lol
But it is one of my most greatest achievements..It shows others it can be done...And I truely do celebrate my new life.

So for the record...I continue to count..lol

Hope you all are doing well and keeping strong.
For those who have had a moment, IT IS ONLY THAT..1 moment.
Try untill you get it I say...I had several attempts.

Blessing to you all.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to not2shygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2013, 11:45 PM   #973
Lady Pamela

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

1 Highscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by not2shygrrl View Post
Ahhh the number 17......one of my favs for it is the day of the month I was born! So I have always been partial to 17! What a great accomplishment LP.....looking forward to many more for you!
Thank you kindly for always being the support that I as well as others need.
Also thank you for such kind words.

I truely appriciate all the support and friendship.

Let them die stillborn.
~*~ Lady Pamela ~*~
The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Pamela For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #974
Loren_Q

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
it's complicated...

Go Lady Pamela!

Oscar Wilde
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loren_Q For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #975
Lady Pamela

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

1 Highscore

How is everyone?

This weekend I went camping with my family reunion and wow was it stressful at first...lol
Then everyone decided to calm a bit.
I decided to chill in a boat on the lake and was much better then.

I must say though..Even though I am not smoking, sometimes that urge creeps in to smoke and I have to talk myself out of it even still.

But guess all that matters is I didn't smoke.
Stress/sadness/anger etc seem to be the worst triggers.

Anyways, How the hell is everyone elses journey?

Let them die stillborn.
~*~ Lady Pamela ~*~
Old 07-15-2013, 10:13 AM   #976
Loren_Q

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
it's complicated...

Quote:
How is everyone?

This weekend I went camping with my family reunion and wow was it stressful at first...lol
Then everyone decided to calm a bit.
I decided to chill in a boat on the lake and was much better then.

I must say though..Even though I am not smoking, sometimes that urge creeps in to smoke and I have to talk myself out of it even still.

But guess all that matters is I didn't smoke.
Stress/sadness/anger etc seem to be the worst triggers.

Anyways, How the hell is everyone elses journey?
I bolded the part that means to the most to me. Yeah, the craving sucks but you talked yourself out of it. And that is the 'Go you!' part of this post.

My journey? It's going well so far. I did have some stuff come up over the weekend, but I didn't smoke, that's pretty darned good for me.

Oscar Wilde
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loren_Q For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #977
Lady Pamela

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

1 Highscore

Quote:
I bolded the part that means to the most to me. Yeah, the craving sucks but you talked yourself out of it. And that is the 'Go you!' part of this post.

My journey? It's going well so far. I did have some stuff come up over the weekend, but I didn't smoke, that's pretty darned good for me.
Every smoke you don't smoke deserves a pat on the back I say. Ha!

Thats awesome you didn't give in!

I have found that most people do not see it as worthy to celebrate or voice struggles..Some have even said I am milking it...but I say, IT WORKS FOR ME AND WHO CARES..Like I said..It is a personal jopurney..smiles

I am so happy you are staying strong.
And thank you so very much for continued support and friendship.

Let them die stillborn.
~*~ Lady Pamela ~*~
Old 07-16-2013, 10:15 PM   #978
not2shygrrl

How Do You Identify?:
as a Lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:

Default desire......

Please recognize those moments where you struggle and don't light one up is your strength! However you build that to help you.....is so individual and personal. Do not forget, that others read these posts and are inspired. So what may seem unimportant to you could help someone not fire one up. I guess what I am trying to say is success here is not trivial, it is significant to life and the longevity of it! I say when it enters your mind that you are a non smoker, or that you have decreased smoking, or smoked less, or how ever you are approaching this, then give yourself the credit that is due! This not smoking is not easy for most people......and 4 years later I still celebrate not smoking and reinforcing that it is a habit I don't want to do. So kudos to ALL OF YOU, even if it is still a want and no action.

"The first principle of success is desire - knowing what you want. Desire is the planting of your seed. "
Robert Collier
Old 07-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #979
GreeneyedMe

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Sweet Femme ones
Relationship Status:
Peeking around the corner...

Thanked 4,375 Times in 804 Posts
GreeneyedMe Has the BEST ReputationGreeneyedMe Has the BEST ReputationGreeneyedMe Has the BEST ReputationGreeneyedMe Has the BEST ReputationGreeneyedMe Has the BEST ReputationGreeneyedMe Has the BEST ReputationGreeneyedMe Has the BEST ReputationGreeneyedMe Has the BEST ReputationGreeneyedMe Has the BEST ReputationGreeneyedMe Has the BEST ReputationGreeneyedMe Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I'm doing it this time!! Going on two weeks smoke free....getting by with regular gum and an occasionally some Nicorette. It's WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm feeling better already! The cravings are calming down a lot....and after 33 years of smoking, I can finally say I AM DONE.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #980
Lady Pamela

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

1 Highscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreeneyedMe View Post
I'm doing it this time!! Going on two weeks smoke free....getting by with regular gum and an occasionally some Nicorette. It's WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm feeling better already! The cravings are calming down a lot....and after 33 years of smoking, I can finally say I AM DONE.

Awesome!!!!!!

Keep it up no matter what..even if you get a vapor cig..they seem to be helping tons..and you eventually can break them down to no nicotine as well.

Works for some.

Proud of you!

Let them die stillborn.
~*~ Lady Pamela ~*~