Old 02-20-2014, 11:52 AM   #10
Paradox

How Do You Identify?:
Constant Outsider - Humanist
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Paradox Has the BEST ReputationParadox Has the BEST ReputationParadox Has the BEST ReputationParadox Has the BEST ReputationParadox Has the BEST ReputationParadox Has the BEST ReputationParadox Has the BEST ReputationParadox Has the BEST ReputationParadox Has the BEST ReputationParadox Has the BEST ReputationParadox Has the BEST Reputation

I had to think about the best way to respond. This is highly sensitive and very complex. I will outline my views.

First I would I put it out there, I dislike the using the term POC and try to avoid using it when/where possible. From my perspective it’s a soft gentle mask that hides the dreadful truth of bigotry, and racism. This post is to really express the issues of racism as it is based on skin hues (tones). The underlying truth the darker the skin colour the worst the racial backlash.

There exists a continuous vicious circle where racism flourishes. How to keep the likes of them away from the likes of me;

1) Institutional racism and slave mentality. Each feeding off of each other. Keep people of African descent (darker skin tones) at bay, and people of darker skins belief the system is against them so why bother trying - lack self worth and self esteem. (broad overview - simplification).
— This may seem primarily American, but Canada is not far behind. Canada’s is hidden and subtle.

2) Education system: There isn’t a strong national system requiring everyone to have equal and adequate education. Poor neighbourhoods (primarily of those of mid-dark skin) have schools that operate at extreme sub standards. Support point number 1. Canada and Europe for most part have a stronger educational stance.

2.1) Education system: In affluent or healthy neighbourhoods, they often do not apply enough of humanities into the curriculum. Very little if any exists on people of mid-dark skin. Most of ‘light skin’ cultures is what is taught. And if any education is provided about African/African descent it is to emphasis the ‘poor, unfortunate’ mid-dark skin experience, war, famine, slavery etc. Hardly anything of achievements (outside of sports). Supporting point number 1.

3) The media, marketing, advertising: How many people of African Descent are seen in day to day advertising/ marketing. Or on TV that’s isn’t ‘stereotypical’. I can’t remember the last calculations but it was merger. Further creating a separating system and dehumanizing a group of people by indirectly emphasizing worth. Promoting stereotypes.

4) Hiring principles, requiring affirmative action policies, fostering resentments. I.E - This person is not qualified but needs to be hired to fill a quota.
Both good and bad aspects. Good that it can force doors to open, bad that it can be perceived as again lesser than me - quality/worth.

5) People don’t look or apply effort to get to know someone. Society has instilled ‘fear’, where branching out beyond your nose is deemed punishable by death. We have created ‘caged’ animals from all ends. Along with a lack of basic social graces and common sense. Do you know 2-3 people outside of your racial circle who are quite visually different from you? Often the answer is no. And yet we claim to be multicultural.
Why should I? I don’t ’need’ to. That type of question/comment goes without explanation.

6) We have fostered a society where not caring is the norm. It’s too bad so sad for you attitude. The privileged are quite happy they are not ‘targets’.
Many can sympathize to hell freezes over, but bottom line in most minds ‘it’s not my problem’. Until something does happen and then you read/or hear stupid question/comment as always; Why are ‘they’ ’so angry or ’still’ angry?

7) People of African descent diaspora. Their only ‘actual’ bond is the inherent discrimination. Resulting from atrocities that have left a society challenged with major difficulties of rebuilding itself. Self hate, internal/intra-racial conflicts, all the points above, living stereotypes. Some ethnicities have similar struggles but none as heart breaking as found within the African/African descent.

Will these crimes continue - sadly yes without question. This is far from the only issues people of African/African decent (mid-darker skin) face on hourly/daily basis. And this post does not look to diminish the success and achievements the communities has made so far and will continue to make.

This simplistic post was to outline two things;
1) A person of darker skin must face the day ‘shielded’. Because that is our reality.
2) Our society (black white and everything in-between) we are not even close to where we could or should be.

Solution;
Only one that comes to mind to start with, improve the educational system and really educate. Create thinkers and not robots.

As philosophical thinker I don’t think the gods/spirits (if you are of faith) or universe would be impressed. I doubt this was what they had in mind when we came into existence.
Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Paradox For This Useful Post: