Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,986 Times in 2,593 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation
Default Who Should Have The Right To Marry?

The slippery slope argument that often comes up regarding gay marriage often gets me a bit unnerved.

Because there are people in this country who also can't have the marriage arrangement they want.

The thing that comes up most in my mind is polygamy - why not?

But there are other restrictions too. Age restrictions, relatedness restrictions (which vary by state).

Assuming we're talking about all participants being human and consenting - who should and should not have the right to marry and why?

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
Scorp
Italian Stallion

How Do You Identify?:
DNA Usually...

Thanked 4,721 Times in 1,270 Posts
Scorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST Reputation

OMG Nat, this video is awesome!!! LOVE IT!!!

I may have to steal this and post it on facebook...

Scorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scorp For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
Electrocell

How Do You Identify?:
Stonebutch
Preferred Pronoun?:
he/hy

Thanked 2,770 Times in 981 Posts
Electrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST Reputation

LOL great video. As far as who should have the right to marry --------two consenting adults .
Old 09-29-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,106 Times in 15,673 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Arrow Thoughts

If you *general* want to get married and you're of age in your *general* state & wish to partake in marriage/weddings/nuptials/I Do's then it's your civil right to do so if you *still general* want.

I personally don't care so much about marrying someone than I do my rights...
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
Hollylane
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 26,372 Times in 5,877 Posts
Hollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorp View Post
OMG Nat, this video is awesome!!! LOVE IT!!!

I may have to steal this and post it on facebook...

I did steal it, and put it on FB (great idea!)...It is frigging AWESOME! I never did really care for Samuel L. Jackson, but now...I am a HUGE fan.
Hollylane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hollylane For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #6
Nadeest

How Do You Identify?:
as myself
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,118 Times in 501 Posts
Nadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST Reputation

In general, the relatedness issue is due to the genetics of the situation. Inbreeding tends to produce children with inherited problems, though I am probably phrasing this wrong. As far as the age of consent; yes, states have different ages when people are allowed to get married. Some allow minors (at or after a certain age) to get married, if the minor child has the parent's consent to the marriage. In general, the idea, to my mind, is that the state is trying to ensure that both parties to the marriage are consenting adults, or at least have the blessings of their parents to this marriage.

As far as polygamy goes, why not polyandry as well? Actually, I am in favor of legalizing polyamory.

The one thing that I am absolutely against is only allowing one type of sexual orientation to get married. My opinion is that if they are consenting adults, why shouldn't they get married if they wish to do so?
Nadeest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nadeest For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #7
iamkeri1

How Do You Identify?:
femme woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

1 Highscore

Thanked 2,014 Times in 610 Posts
iamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputation

For myself, personally, I am pretty strongly monogamous, but throughout my adult life I have intellectually seen the many advantages to "group" marriages of one kind or another. Four adults, joined in some kind of legal agreement provide incredible economic andvantages and stability for each other. Hell I don't care if 20 people want to share this kind of bond, but four is the group I have given most thought to.

Tkis kind of family provides the opportunity for more choices for the individuals involved. Want to go to school? "Sure we can afford that. The other three of us will support you whille to go so you can concentrate on going to school. And Hey... you can have dinner ready for us when we get home from work, and Oh yah maybe now we can have that garden we've been wanting and YOU can do the weeding." Want to have a baby or change careers or just take a few months off work because you're stressed out? All those things could be negotiated because of the multiple income factor in the family. Expenses would be greatly reduced as well. The home would have to be somewhat larger to assure private space for everyone, but comparing this unit to couples or individuals living separately, the amount of "stuff" they need to buy would be reduced. Less lawnmowers, less yard tools of all kinds, less refrigerators, washers, dryers, dishes, silverware, towels...and picture the potential for clothing swaps!

There would be lots more emotional support as well, less likelihood for loneliness, more potential to find an understanding person when you need to talk. If one partner dies or divorces, there are three remaining partnera to share the emotional and financial devastation.

It is not something that we are trained for in our society, but really, it makes a lot of sense.

Oh I meant to say, while in college, I read two books by Robert Rimmer that helped inform my beliefs. They are "The Harrad Experiment" and "Proposition 31"

Smooches,
Keri
iamkeri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to iamkeri1 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2012, 12:50 PM   #8
Angeltoes

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Nunya

Thanked 5,525 Times in 1,386 Posts
Angeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST Reputation

Any consenting adult, of course. I personally will never legally marry anyone again because I don't see the point anymore. If you love each other you stay together if you don't you go.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #9
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,986 Times in 2,593 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

How about convicted serial murderers on death row?

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #10
Angeltoes

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Nunya

Thanked 5,525 Times in 1,386 Posts
Angeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat View Post
How about convicted serial murderers on death row?
They don't have the right to vote in the U.S...so why should they have the right to marry? I'm more interested in the fundamental rights of the average person.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #11
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Dear Ol Butch Bones
Preferred Pronoun?:
Old G
Relationship Status:
Too old to play.

Thanked 3,730 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

At least one condemned inmate gets married every two months in San Quentin. Even the most wicked scum get dozens of marriage proposals from women, and are allowed to marry. So, while they can, your average LBGT couple who probably never hurt anybody in their lives can't get married? NO!
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Glenn For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2012, 07:01 PM   #12
Kent

How Do You Identify?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Single

Tournaments Won: 2

Thanked 2,058 Times in 720 Posts
Kent Has the BEST ReputationKent Has the BEST ReputationKent Has the BEST ReputationKent Has the BEST ReputationKent Has the BEST ReputationKent Has the BEST ReputationKent Has the BEST ReputationKent Has the BEST ReputationKent Has the BEST ReputationKent Has the BEST ReputationKent Has the BEST Reputation
Default Who Should Have The Right To Marry?

I believe anyone in love should have the right to marry!!!
Old 09-29-2012, 07:12 PM   #13
firegal

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Don't let the gal part of my screen name fool ya I,m ALL butch!

1 Highscore

Thanked 11,731 Times in 2,469 Posts
firegal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
I believe anyone in love should have the right to marry!!!
Well i think anyone should have the right....but if your in jail your in jail.Your freedom has been taken away....till your out!

you cant go on vacation,you cant drive a car....you are incarcerated.

You cant go to a church or facility to be married.

Hazards of going to prison/or jail.

When you have done the time...then you can excercise that right...and get married where every you want and also pay for it!
firegal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to firegal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #14
lusciouskiwi

How Do You Identify?:
femme lesbian feminist
Preferred Pronoun?:
Anything except for "aunty"
Relationship Status:
Happy with my butch.

Thanked 9,096 Times in 1,899 Posts
lusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeltoes View Post
Any consenting adult, of course. I personally will never legally marry anyone again because I don't see the point anymore. If you love each other you stay together if you don't you go.
If same-sex marriage had been recognised back in 2005 AND international same-sex recognised, then maybe I'd still be living in the States. We were friends with a gay couple in the same situation, A is Italian and B is American. They split up eventually. It's really tough. I know a Chinese lesbian here in Malaysia. Her partner is American. The Malaysian partner is banned from the US for x years because somehow immigration figured out she was on her way to stay with her partner.

Risk! Risk anything! Care no more for the opinions of others, for those voices. Do the hardest thing on earth for you. Act for yourself. Face the truth. Katherine Mansfield

Motivate yourself or be miserable. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice. Wayne Dyer
lusciouskiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:34 AM   #15
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
~ Femme ~

Thanked 32,586 Times in 10,200 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat View Post
The slippery slope argument that often comes up regarding gay marriage often gets me a bit unnerved.

Because there are people in this country who also can't have the marriage arrangement they want.

The thing that comes up most in my mind is polygamy - why not?

But there are other restrictions too. Age restrictions, relatedness restrictions (which vary by state).

Assuming we're talking about all participants being human and consenting - who should and should not have the right to marry and why?
Nat, I thought about you today and this forum thread...

Marriage is such a tricky subject. It really is.

I am not sure how the discussion about marriage will go, but when I was riding the train to work today I came across an article in a local, independent newspaper that covered issues Asian women are facing when they marry an American citizen. They leave their home country in search of a better life than the one they live in thier homeland and once here, Asian women are treated like slaves. Not only within their own marriages, but often because of not knowing who to turn to for help or violating their immigration status which largely operates in connection with their marital status, they end up working two or three jobs, have no life and suffer terrible emotional and physical patterns of abuse within the marriage they committed to, just to find a particular freedom they couldnt' find in their home country, etc.

Aside from the article I read this afternoon, I couldn't help but think of this forum discussion on what marriage means.

I think of marriage as an institution, in and of itself, but not as an institution that is a complete stand-alone project. To me, it is not just about two people who are in love and get married. It's never that simple, in my mind. While I believe that any parties consenting (human beings) - regardless of how they identify outside the heterocentric sphere - should be permitted to avail themselves of a marital contract (marriage), I also feel that marriage finds its roots in White Priviledge. What I am trying to say is that White Priviledge shares a martial arrangement with a heterocentric think-tank.

When I think about marriage, I think of it as also sharing a bed with economic opportunity, tax benefits, legal benefits, the benefit of aligning oneself with the widely held perception that 'if you're married, then you're a family' - but as most of us who identify somewhere on the continuum of what constitutes being Gay, Lesbian, Bi-, Trans, or Queer, we know intutitively that this is a false construct because we have subverted popular cultural values by constructing our own constellations of who we feel is part of our family. We create our own lines of kinship because we've been excluded from macro- and micro- institutions that others deny membership to us.

I have no idea where I am going with my post tonight, but I do know that for me, Marriage is not a contractual issue to take lightly. On the surface, it appears that there are worthwhile social benefits. But marriage comes with a price index that scares me.

When I think of marriage, I think in terms of what price will I pay to avail myself of the many so-called benefits of marriage and over time, will the price index still reflect the same values held at today's standards and if those standards change over time, then will the 'price index' of Marriage be worth the price one once percieved a marriage to be?

As the years go by, I am not quite sure that marriage is all that one contrives it to be. I don't even know if I find marriage all that alluring as it once was to me, when I was younger and possessed less life experience than the set of life experiences I possess today.

As time goes by, I would count myself extremely lucky to have a relationship of minds with the person I feel closest to that lasted longer than prior relationships I have had - marital or not. I would feel extremely blessed if I had a relatonship that weathered lifes hardships and joys and endured over a significant period of time for much longer than those in my past. I'm not there yet by any means, but I know that participating in a marital relationship, as it is currently defined by today's standards, is less likely to happen for me before my time on earth is over.
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2012, 01:44 AM   #16
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,357 Times in 4,172 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

there is no slippery slope. That idea associates -- as is stated -- lgtbtq and poly marriage with statutory rape and incest. If someone is under age, she or he can not and should not marry.

the slippery slope argument is offensive in the extreme and made largely by christian fundamentalists claiming that if gay marriage is permitted, child abuse, incest, and even bestiality will ensue.

Do not give that argument legitimacy.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #17
Kent

How Do You Identify?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Single

Kent Has the BEST ReputationKent Has the BEST ReputationKent Has the BEST ReputationKent Has the BEST ReputationKent Has the BEST ReputationKent Has the BEST ReputationKent Has the BEST ReputationKent Has the BEST ReputationKent Has the BEST ReputationKent Has the BEST ReputationKent Has the BEST Reputation
Default Hello...

Quote:
Originally Posted by firegal View Post
Well i think anyone should have the right....but if your in jail your in jail.Your freedom has been taken away....till your out!

you cant go on vacation,you cant drive a car....you are incarcerated.

You cant go to a church or facility to be married.

Hazards of going to prison/or jail.

When you have done the time...then you can excercise that right...and get married where every you want and also pay for it!
Firegal,

My post did not reference anything about being in jail. Jail did not play into my question and/or answer.

However, I do agree with you.

thanks,

Kent
Old 09-30-2012, 02:05 PM   #18
pajama

How Do You Identify?:
Klingon
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 7,480 Times in 1,809 Posts
pajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputation

I would like to see something that allows anyone, of a consenting age, to marry as many people as they want, of any gender, identity, nationality, religion, color, etc.

ALONG WITH an ammendment to BAN divorce, with the exception of extreme cruelty or abuse. And cheating isn't extreme cruelty. You go to therapy, you work it out. If you love them enough to want to marry them, then you love them enough and forever to make it work! (Hence why I personally will not get married again. It's FOREVER.)

My $.02.

A
pajama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pajama For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #19
firegal

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Don't let the gal part of my screen name fool ya I,m ALL butch!

1 Highscore

Thanked 11,731 Times in 2,469 Posts
firegal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
Firegal,

My post did not reference anything about being in jail. Jail did not play into my question and/or answer.

However, I do agree with you.

thanks,

Kent
I just used your quote to show an exception to the word "everyone", wasn't nessasarily disagreeing with the "everyone" has the right concept...

Just voicing my exception to it. Sometimes folks get quoted to continue the conversation and branch off of what was stated. That's what I was doing...

Thanks for your words
firegal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firegal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #20
Kent

How Do You Identify?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Single

Default You are welcome.. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by firegal View Post
I just used your quote to show an exception to the word "everyone", wasn't nessasarily disagreeing with the "everyone" has the right concept...

Just voicing my exception to it. Sometimes folks get quoted to continue the conversation and branch off of what was stated. That's what I was doing...

Thanks for your words
You're very welcome, firegal.