Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,589 Times in 4,691 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

I think we should all strive to "be PC" which I would further describe as "avoid committing microaggressions"

I also think that it is shameful the way that people get dogpiled when they might say "black" instead of "POC," or leave the "IQQA" off GLBT, etc.

If someone does not get it exactly right the first time or even the third time, it should be pointed out to them in a non-escalated, non-condescending, non-shaming way

ALSO

it is worth remembering that what is PC changes all of the time

Remember when it was ok for Natalie Merchant to refuse to play "Peace Train" because she did not approve of Cat Stevens' conversion to Islam? She was applauded for that position where she would now be criticized

Remember "people-first language?" When you couldn't say "deaf person," but instead had to say "person with deafness?"

That is no longer seen as appropriate, as blind, deaf, and autistic advocacy groups have all rejected it "it is overly defensive, implies shame instead of true equality, and portrays the blind as touchy and belligerent"

Furthermore, there are politically-correct-usage guidelines that I have been made aware of, throughtfully considered, carefully researched, and then rejected. You can do that!
  • I was just recently made aware of QUILTBAG as a proposed new acronym for our community
    I am never going to use that. Never. It has "bag" in it.
  • also I do not think doing yoga automatically culturally insensitive (depending on how and whether the history is presented)

• I almost barfed when I read an article that said "calling things your spirit animal is racist"
    I get the author's point that it appropriates native american culture in a superficial way, but native americans don't own "spirit animals".

The ancient celts used animal totems, also, along with every prehistoric tribe in every region of the world.

I taught a whole workshop on microaggressions to 100 librarians right smack in the middle of liberal old Austin, Texas

but

Here I am, a bourgeois white woman, picking and choosing which PC rules I feel like I should have to follow and which ones I feel entitled to dismiss as trivial or silly.

Maybe I'm just as bad as Donald Trump