Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,662 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation
Default The Emergency Broadcast System

Except for sporting events, I rarely watch tv so I am probably behind on the times.

Today, during the basketball game, the EBS thing came on - the beeping thing, the thing that usually says this is a test of the EBS. If this was a true emergency etc.

Only, today, they actually spoke. They wanted me to know:

1. it is snowing - it has been snowing for 6 hours now. I noticed.
2. the roads are slippery - yeah well I figured that.
3. do not go out unless you have to - more wisdom from the land of doh?

Seriously, tho, since when does the EBS cover a minor snow storm? It is 4-10 inches of snow. Not a blizzard. No avalanche stuff. I thought EBS was for big national emergencies like invaders from Mars and stuff.

Have we humans become so lacking in common sense, the government has to use a national emergency system to point out what should be readily obvious to us?

Is this like governmental paternalistic overkill?

Should we expect more interruptions for mundane things? Or is this just another cog in the governmental attempt to make us immune to actual disasters and threats?

Is this new? Does this strike anyone else as odd?

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
apretty

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
sea shell
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 4,377 Times in 1,015 Posts
apretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputation

I have no way of knowing if 4 or 10 inches of snow is dangerous--But I do know that last night I was listening to OutQ and NY was gearing up for snow and the radio show that I was listening to warned against unsafe Grindr usage because you could be stuck with a bad trick and no way home.
apretty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to apretty For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
Liam

How Do You Identify?:
Guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His

Thanked 6,909 Times in 1,862 Posts
Liam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST Reputation
Default FYI

The EAS is a national public warning system that requires broadcasters, cable television systems, wireless cable systems, satellite digital audio radio service (SDARS) providers, and direct broadcast satellite (DBS) providers to provide the communications capability to the President to address the American public during a national emergency. The system also may be used by state and local authorities to deliver important emergency information, such as AMBER alerts and weather information targeted to specific areas.

To read more, visit their website.

http://transition.fcc.gov/pshs/services/eas/
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Liam For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #4
Strappie

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I know who I am... Doesn't matter
Relationship Status:
It's a new day....

Thanked 4,946 Times in 1,350 Posts
Strappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I live in MN they have been doing this for a few years now... I honestly think it's a good think.. because some people need that added extra warning.. that YEP IT'S SERIOUS!!! STAY THE HELL HOME!

Because the idiots that drive in the snow storms don't realize they not only put themselves in jeopardy but the men and women that work for emergency agency's, they put those people at more risk to come save their asses from being stranded or causing more accidents.

Just me two cents...
Strappie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Strappie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
durrrrrrrr

How Do You Identify?:
TG Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
he , him

Thanked 10,217 Times in 2,504 Posts
durrrrrrrr Has the BEST Reputationdurrrrrrrr Has the BEST Reputationdurrrrrrrr Has the BEST Reputationdurrrrrrrr Has the BEST Reputationdurrrrrrrr Has the BEST Reputationdurrrrrrrr Has the BEST Reputationdurrrrrrrr Has the BEST Reputationdurrrrrrrr Has the BEST Reputationdurrrrrrrr Has the BEST Reputationdurrrrrrrr Has the BEST Reputationdurrrrrrrr Has the BEST Reputation

i dont find it odd at all

any information that can be given to me, I will take it.

well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit
durrrrrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to durrrrrrrr For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2012, 04:07 PM   #6
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam View Post
The EAS is a national public warning system that requires broadcasters, cable television systems, wireless cable systems, satellite digital audio radio service (SDARS) providers, and direct broadcast satellite (DBS) providers to provide the communications capability to the President to address the American public during a national emergency. The system also may be used by state and local authorities to deliver important emergency information, such as AMBER alerts and weather information targeted to specific areas.

To read more, visit their website.

http://transition.fcc.gov/pshs/services/eas/

Thanks for this and the link. I have never seen this used this way before today and we usually get a crap load of snow. Even the hurricane warning this summer didnt activate this on a local level.

Last Amber alert I got was thru the town emergency phone system.

Our local warnings have always come from local stations with an emergency notice bar on the bottom of the screen.

Learned something new today.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
Gráinne

How Do You Identify?:
Neither, nada, out of the box
Preferred Pronoun?:
My name always works
Relationship Status:
Happy whatever happens

Thanked 7,246 Times in 1,416 Posts
Gráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST Reputation

In many parts of the country, 4-10 inches is not a minor snow storm. My city comes to a screeching halt at less than that. And drivers don't know how to drive in that, or need the reinforcement to stay home!

We get the EAS a lot every spring, in tornado season, along with the crawls on the TV screen. Far from Big Brother intruding, I'm all for more warning avenues, not less. It saves lives.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #8
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

I don't know much about the EBS and like others, i've heard it for years spouting off that horrible "LISTEN THIS IS IMPORTANT" screeching tone only to hear it is a false alarm, a "test" and they are practicing. I never really understood the practicing part. I've envisioned people "somewhere" running around in circles with their hands in the air pretending it was an Emergency and wondered if that is what we were suppose to do. Like we did in school for fire drills or something.

But, i will say this...

Last year we were hammered with bad storms and tornadoes here in the South. That EBS was blaring out like a preacher preachin on sin. I stopped, i listened, i heard, ....tornado take cover. I did. When i came up from the basement i had 6 trees in my yard down and stuff everywhere, later found out a tornado touched down less than 1/2 mile from my house.

I'm not sure what that EBS is about, but i know it is effective, or it was for me. I've been conditioned, i suppose, hearing it over the years even when it was just a "test".

I think it is a wonderful thing. The more info the better, even if we think it is not important. It could be important to someone.
Maya Angelou
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2012, 05:40 PM   #9
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

I can see where having another level of alert can be a good thing in certain situations.

When we had unprecedented tornados in the western part of the state last Spring, it would have made sense to use the EBS. Tornados are all but unheard of up in these parts. We wouldnt and didnt have a clue what to do, what precautions to take, or how to be safe. The local tv stations news departments stayed on live, giving out advisories, safety tips, and warnings.

That makes sense to me. It was an unknown and tornados dont give you days of notice before their arrival.

What I dont get is....I live in New England. Snow is in our blood. Living in snow, driving in snow, preparing for snow, playing in snow, shoveling snow, plowing snow, hazards of snow.... is something we learn early on in life. Snowstorms are seldom a surprise event. Like hurricanes, it takes days of warnings before the actual event occurs. Days to prepare.

First time you walk in snow or drive in snow, you learn it makes the pavement wet and slippery and this is hazardous. You learn snow can cause falls and injuries and accidents. You learn to slow down, wear the right stuff, use the right tools, do stuff to minimize the risks if you cant just stay home.

Does it make sense to use the EBS to update what you have already heard for days, what you can see with your own eyes, what you should know from your own experience? I dunno. Seems to me, at some point, adults should be able to deduce things and deal with them without the helping and expensive hand of the government.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2012, 05:46 PM   #10
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post

I can see where having another level of alert can be a good thing in certain situations.

When we had unprecedented tornados in the western part of the state last Spring, it would have made sense to use the EBS. Tornados are all but unheard of up in these parts. We wouldnt and didnt have a clue what to do, what precautions to take, or how to be safe. The local tv stations news departments stayed on live, giving out advisories, safety tips, and warnings.

That makes sense to me. It was an unknown and tornados dont give you days of notice before their arrival.

What I dont get is....I live in New England. Snow is in our blood. Living in snow, driving in snow, preparing for snow, playing in snow, shoveling snow, plowing snow, hazards of snow.... is something we learn early on in life. Snowstorms are seldom a surprise event. Like hurricanes, it takes days of warnings before the actual event occurs. Days to prepare.

First time you walk in snow or drive in snow, you learn it makes the pavement wet and slippery and this is hazardous. You learn snow can cause falls and injuries and accidents. You learn to slow down, wear the right stuff, use the right tools, do stuff to minimize the risks if you cant just stay home.

Does it make sense to use the EBS to update what you have already heard for days, what you can see with your own eyes, what you should know from your own experience? I dunno. Seems to me, at some point, adults should be able to deduce things and deal with them without the helping and expensive hand of the government.

People tend to move, newbies need warning.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #11
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Thanked 10,618 Times in 2,489 Posts
Cin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post

Having lived in New England all my life, well, until now, I totally get why you would be surprised. 4-10 inches is nothing. Not even enough to give a thought about. It takes at least a foot to cause concern. Maybe there is something more going on. I heard there were cancellations in the area so maybe the driving is worse than they thought it was going to be for some unexplained reason, maybe there is a lot of wind or something? I honestly don't get it. Unless they've decided not to clean the roads? That would make 4-10 inches a problem. I mean if they plan to leave it there. Seems weird though? I have never heard of the EBS doing this before. I guess that's why it's a question. I mean if they did it all the time we would be used to it by now. Why would they all of a sudden start?

Hell, I remember one particularly eventful winter in Boston when almost every time I turned around a foot of snow or more dropped out of the sky. It was horrible. After awhile the snow mounds from the plows were so high you couldn't see around corners and driving was a nightmare for most of the winter. If the EBS had started beeping for snow that year they might have never stopped.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #12
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Tick View Post
Having lived in New England all my life, well, until now, I totally get why you would be surprised. 4-10 inches is nothing. Not even enough to give a thought about. It takes at least a foot to cause concern. Maybe there is something more going on. I heard there were cancellations in the area so maybe the driving is worse than they thought it was going to be for some unexplained reason, maybe there is a lot of wind or something? I honestly don't get it. Unless they've decided not to clean the roads? That would make 4-10 inches a problem. I mean if they plan to leave it there. Seems weird though? I have never heard of the EBS doing this before. I guess that's why it's a question. I mean if they did it all the time we would be used to it by now. Why would they all of a sudden start?

Hell, I remember one particularly eventful winter in Boston when almost every time I turned around a foot of snow or more dropped out of the sky. It was horrible. After awhile the snow mounds from the plows were so high you couldn't see around corners and driving was a nightmare for most of the winter. If the EBS had started beeping for snow that year they might have never stopped.

Ahhh someone who understands.

It's just snow. No wind, no whiteout conditions that I could see, nothing out of the ordinary being reported like tornado-like occurences in the snow. It was a wet, heavy snow which usually means downed power lines and power outages but there was no mention of this. Just seemed like a regular storm to me and driving when it is snowing it is always treacherous cuz they cant keep the roads clear while the snow is still falling.

As I said, I dont usually watch tv. It is possible the EBS has been doing this for a while and I just never saw it before.

I can say, however, in spite of all the warnings.....the bowling alley across from me was doing a brisk business today. Guess "dont go out unless you have to" means different stuff to different people.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2012, 09:13 PM   #13
Legendryder

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Single

Legendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST Reputation

When you consider this country for some reason must put a label on blow dryers so that people do not use them while they are bathing, I feel that this is just par for the course. Seems we can use all the help we can get.
Legendryder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Legendryder For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2016, 06:37 PM   #14
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,588 Times in 14,919 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation
Default he Emergency Broadcast System...

The one thing I've never understood is why this system wasn't in effect during the events of 9/11! Every time it pops up now, I keep asking the question, IF 9/11 wasn't an emergency event WHAT would be
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2016, 08:11 PM   #15
RanchHand

How Do You Identify?:
Gender Fluid

RanchHand Has the BEST ReputationRanchHand Has the BEST ReputationRanchHand Has the BEST ReputationRanchHand Has the BEST ReputationRanchHand Has the BEST ReputationRanchHand Has the BEST ReputationRanchHand Has the BEST ReputationRanchHand Has the BEST ReputationRanchHand Has the BEST ReputationRanchHand Has the BEST ReputationRanchHand Has the BEST Reputation
Default The Evergency Broadcast System

I think it may be because so many people are moving to different parts of the country for work, family, school and they are not aware of the elements. I also believe many people have lost the common sense of know the limits between danger and wheat is not dangerous.
RanchHand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RanchHand For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2016, 11:24 PM   #16
FireSignFemme

How Do You Identify?:
N/A

3 Highscores

Thanked 10,498 Times in 3,157 Posts
FireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST Reputation

I just cannot stress enough how truly, totally over simplified some of this stuff actually needs to be to make sense to some people. I pay attention to the EBS because I know when it’s activated a lot of people I want to avoid are going to do exactly the opposite of whatever it says to do and I want to know where they are headed so I can stay clear of them. When Mt. Saint Helens blew quite a few people’s response to the EBS warning advisories about that was to stay put and take their chances with swimming in hot molten lava. What the…? I seriously do not ever want to wind up in any kind of life or death crisis situation with people like that! I may not be that much an expert in survival but I do know this – when a volcano blows at the very least don’t run towards it! You’d be surprised how many people have to be told not to.
FireSignFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FireSignFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2016, 11:27 PM   #17
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,588 Times in 14,919 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Maybe with all the real time "social media" and "instant news feeds" the EBS is in need of being updated and overhauled??
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote