Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 07-05-2010, 08:22 PM   #1
Mrs. Strutt

How Do You Identify?:
Stone Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her
Relationship Status:
16 Years as Queen of Hys Castle

Mrs. Strutt Has the BEST ReputationMrs. Strutt Has the BEST ReputationMrs. Strutt Has the BEST ReputationMrs. Strutt Has the BEST ReputationMrs. Strutt Has the BEST ReputationMrs. Strutt Has the BEST ReputationMrs. Strutt Has the BEST ReputationMrs. Strutt Has the BEST ReputationMrs. Strutt Has the BEST ReputationMrs. Strutt Has the BEST ReputationMrs. Strutt Has the BEST Reputation
Default Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder

I've been watching A&E's "Obsessed" recently and have gotten quite the education about living with severe Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. And it occurred to me how often I make little jokes about having OCD myself. I've come to realize, though, that while none of my behaviors are extreme to the point of threatening my daily functioning or relationships, I truly do have a mild form of this disorder.

My OCD seems to take the form of obsession with order, symmetry and "balance" in my environment. Pictures, knick-knacks and other items of decor have to be placed equi-distant and at proper right angles. A picture hanging even slightly askew on a wall can drive me nuts. Shoes have to be placed right next to each other so they are neatly lined up and "match" in angle and distance. Differently-colored flowers in a bunch need to be arranged in a vase so the colors are evenly distributed. If I notice something is "out of balance" and I don't stop to fix it before I leave the house, I will literally have to reverse course and go back to correct it or it will make me mildly anxious all day.

I do know that these behaviors have gotten better as I have gotten older...but I wonder how much less time I would spend fussing and arranging my environment if I didn't have OCD at all.

Has anyone else seen the show or have OCD?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...FLR/sunset.jpg

"If I can put one touch of rosy sunset into the life of any man or woman,
I shall feel that I have worked with God."

- Gilbert Keith Chesterton
Mrs. Strutt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mrs. Strutt For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #2
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

I've seen a little bit of one show and have seen other shows in the past about OCD. I don't have it though. I'm merely anal retentive and quite picky.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:29 PM   #3
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation

I don't think I have OCD, unless my Eureka breaks.....

"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:31 PM   #4
scootebaby
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
yes dear
Preferred Pronoun?:
she

Thanked 6,737 Times in 1,777 Posts
scootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputationscootebaby Has the BEST Reputation

i havent seen the show,but ive been told i have ocd--at least a little....like you pictures have to be str8,knick knacks balanced...when i go out to eat i will neatly stack plates and silverware in a way to carry easily-at the edge,in the middle, of the table..i will wipe down table and i will redo the condiments...if im in a store i will straighten shelves,especially if i am standing at checkout...i will "balance" out the candy if uneven..i will even frontface shelves...i even check my alarm at least 3 times before bed then if i wake up b4 it goes off ill check to make sure it still set

i could go on and on but i think u get the idea! besides my son and a coworker also tell me i have a slight case of ADD! but thats a whole other thread!
scootebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:35 AM   #5
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation

I have OCD. It has at times ruled my life. I would not wish this on anyone. For me it is just now how I go about living. It does ruin lives, relationships, and just about everything you can imagine.

You have to realize that I am 46 yo, and nobody in the medical community had any clue what it was I had growing up in the 60's and 70's. They all (the dr's) thought I would grow out of this. Nope. It just has gotten worse over time. Sure I can go thru treatment, but the cost of it is so very expensive. I just don't have the money or the will any longer to do it. It is what it is. Now if you asked me maybe 2 or 3 years ago before my heart attack, and all, I would have jumped at the opportunity to change my OCD. But now, no.
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2010, 12:18 PM   #6
julieisafemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to Greyson

Thanked 3,445 Times in 660 Posts
julieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I have OCD. That show is disturbing and familiar at the same time. It is challening to say the least. I have spent years being very secretive about my thoughts.

Mrs. Strutt are there thoughts or worries associated with the need for balance? The things we see on TV are the compulsions associated with OCD. The obsessions that drive the compulsions and cause the anxiety are not talked about as much. They can be very disturbing, especially for someone who does not have OCD. Obessions don't make a lot of sense and on the one hand you know they are not true but on the other hand you are not sure. That is the circular, tortuous trap of OCD. Is is called the doubting disease. People with OCD want 100% certainty at all times. That is hard to come by!!!

Have you ever just sat with the anxiety when something is not right? That is the treatment for OCD. It is called Exposure and Response Prevention Therapy. The point is to stop the behavior or compulsion. It is not fun but it works really really well. That and medication have made a huge difference in my life.

My example that I give people is that if you have to have your towels folded a certain way or things aren't right that might be a problem. If you are folding your towels for hours, can't stop folding them until they are "right" and are folding them to deal with the obsession that not doing so will mean someone in your family will die then it has moved beyond a problem and into OCD. People with OCD lack a filter in the brain to weed out what my therapist calls "brain farts". Everyone has these crazy thoughts. Most people just move on. People with OCD get stuck.

Anyway I could go on and on. It is a neurological problem. I am so lucky and blessed to have access to really good therapy and medication. Many people do not.
julieisafemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to julieisafemme For This Useful Post: