Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 05-02-2010, 01:15 PM   #1
Darth Denkay

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm good with whatever
Relationship Status:
in love and loved

Darth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Question Eyebrows?????

Okay, this may be a bit of a stretch putting this thread here, but I couldn't find a better place. I thought about the fun fluff area, and while this dialogue probably won't be as deep as many in this forum it is serious - at least to me. So here I go...

Eyebrows - those strips of hair over our eyes. Exactly why they are there, I don't know. But they are, and every now and then come up in conversation. Here's the thing. The most common mention I see of them is references around "even if you're a butch, furry eyebrows are NOT okay." I have really thick eyebrows. I love my really thick eyebrows. Now, I do run a razor down the middle so that I actually have two eyebrows, and if I get a wild hair sticking out like a horn I trim it, but other than that I leave them alone.

My girlfriend is constantly on my back about it. Her biggest criticism is that she says that eyebrows should not extend inward any farther than the corner of your eye. Um, who made up that rule? Like I said, I maintain space between them, but yeah, they extend in a little further than my eye. So what's the deal here? Am I really committing an eyebrow felony here? Is it not okay to have thick eyebrows (as long as they are basically under control?).

I once tried this approach with my girlfriend.

Her: You need to pluck your eyebrows.

Me: No I don't. God made them this way so this is how they're supposed to be.

Her: That's not a valid argument. He also forgot your penis.

Thoughts???
Old 05-02-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
moxie

How Do You Identify?:
a cynical princess wannabe
Preferred Pronoun?:
lipgloss junkie
Relationship Status:
yep

Thanked 6,770 Times in 1,847 Posts
moxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputation

Eyebrows divert sweat and rain away from your eyes. They also keep particular matter from getting in the eyes.

The only person I like a monobrow on is Bert. Otherwise it's all good; however, I am very picky about my own.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:23 PM   #3
Bella~Vita

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she

Thanked 1,322 Times in 443 Posts
Bella~Vita Has the BEST ReputationBella~Vita Has the BEST ReputationBella~Vita Has the BEST ReputationBella~Vita Has the BEST ReputationBella~Vita Has the BEST ReputationBella~Vita Has the BEST ReputationBella~Vita Has the BEST ReputationBella~Vita Has the BEST ReputationBella~Vita Has the BEST ReputationBella~Vita Has the BEST ReputationBella~Vita Has the BEST Reputation
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Denkay View Post
Okay, this may be a bit of a stretch putting this thread here, but I couldn't find a better place. I thought about the fun fluff area, and while this dialogue probably won't be as deep as many in this forum it is serious - at least to me. So here I go...

Eyebrows - those strips of hair over our eyes. Exactly why they are there, I don't know. But they are, and every now and then come up in conversation. Here's the thing. The most common mention I see of them is references around "even if you're a butch, furry eyebrows are NOT okay." I have really thick eyebrows. I love my really thick eyebrows. Now, I do run a razor down the middle so that I actually have two eyebrows, and if I get a wild hair sticking out like a horn I trim it, but other than that I leave them alone.

My girlfriend is constantly on my back about it. Her biggest criticism is that she says that eyebrows should not extend inward any farther than the corner of your eye. Um, who made up that rule? Like I said, I maintain space between them, but yeah, they extend in a little further than my eye. So what's the deal here? Am I really committing an eyebrow felony here? Is it not okay to have thick eyebrows (as long as they are basically under control?).

Thoughts???
Ha Ha .. I love how your gf thinks ..lol..this was way funny to me!
Bella~Vita is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bella~Vita For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2010, 01:25 PM   #4
Darth Denkay

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm good with whatever
Relationship Status:
in love and loved

Darth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Ah, that makes sense as to purpose - I knew that's what eyelashes are for - thanks for clearing that up. Okay, so I don't have a monobrow - because I regularly shave it. Does that mean I'm not breaking any huge eyebrow laws? Thick - okay. Long - okay (as long as they don't connect or extend to hairline). No eyebrow "horns"

Quote:
Originally Posted by puregrrl View Post
Eyebrows divert sweat and rain away from your eyes. They also keep particular matter from getting in the eyes.

The only person I like a monobrow on is Bert. Otherwise it's all good; however, I am very picky about my own.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:25 PM   #5
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Eyebrows are a subject near and dear to my heart. Several years ago, I decided to jump from tweezing them (not plucking...you pluck chickens, not your face) to having them waxed. Well, I should have done more research or trusted my gut instinct, because the waxer took me from a neatly trimmed caterpillar to a very thin line. My eyebrows did not enjoy this process and they retaliated. They fell out. <---- kinda how I looked at the time

They've grown back some, but I have to use pencil and powder to fill things in.

That's my sad little story of why I covet nice, thick eyebrows like Brooke Shields and probably yours too. Here's the rule of thumb created by beauty "experts": take a pencil and angle it from the inside corner of your eye up. Where it falls should be a good starting point for your brow. Now, is it written in stone? No, because some people look better with the brow a little further in (toward the nose) or a little further back (opening the eye up more). But it's a good rule of thumb.

I absolutely agree that a unibrow is unacceptable but if you've shaved or waxed about at least an inch down the middle, you should be fine. That's a respectable look, imo.

If your girl keeps on you about this, then mention my story and tell her it could be worse....you could have little to none at all.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2010, 01:28 PM   #6
pajama

How Do You Identify?:
Klingon
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 7,480 Times in 1,809 Posts
pajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputation

Just my $.02

First, wow, is it just me or was her penis comment pretty cold? I don't know the whole tone or anything of the comment but

Now on to the eyebrows...As with any other appearance issue. First and foremost do what you feel comfortable doing. If you like your eyebrows and feel that they look fine with your grooming level, then that's it. Period. Doing anything else would end up making you feel "less you" which would come across in your attitude and approach. So be you.

As to whether it is a faux pas, well, if you were a woman, I would recommend some more grooming (again only if you weren't totally opposed to it) because usually yes, the eyebrows don't extend past the eyes. Buuuut I'm pretty sure that rule doesn't apply to guys. Some guys do more, some guys also put clear polish on their nails.....so just depends how metrosexual you like being (no judgement about metrosexuals here).

A
pajama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pajama For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2010, 01:29 PM   #7
Darth Denkay

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm good with whatever
Relationship Status:
in love and loved

Member Photo Albums

Oh Gemme, so sorry about your eyebrow incident (seriously, I am). I've had mine waxed a couple times, and I don't care what anyone says, it hurts like hell and I won't do that to myself. Actually, I misspoke before - I don't pluck, I shave the middle and clip the rest.

I'm proud of my eyebrows dammit!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
Eyebrows are a subject near and dear to my heart. Several years ago, I decided to jump from tweezing them (not plucking...you pluck chickens, not your face) to having them waxed. Well, I should have done more research or trusted my gut instinct, because the waxer took me from a neatly trimmed caterpillar to a very thin line. My eyebrows did not enjoy this process and they retaliated. They fell out. <---- kinda how I looked at the time

That's my sad little story of why I covet nice, thick eyebrows like Brooke Shields and probably yours too. Here's the rule of thumb created by beauty "experts": take a pencil and angle it from the inside corner of your eye up. Where it falls should be a good starting point for your brow. Now, is it written in stone? No, because some people look better with the brow a little further in (toward the nose) or a little further back (opening the eye up more).

I absolutely agree that a unibrow is unacceptable but if you've shaved or waxed about at least an inch down the middle, you should be fine. That's a respectable look, imo.

If your girl keeps on you about this, then mention my story and tell her it could be worse....you could none at all.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:32 PM   #8
Bella~Vita

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she

Thanked 1,322 Times in 443 Posts
Bella~Vita Has the BEST ReputationBella~Vita Has the BEST ReputationBella~Vita Has the BEST ReputationBella~Vita Has the BEST ReputationBella~Vita Has the BEST ReputationBella~Vita Has the BEST ReputationBella~Vita Has the BEST ReputationBella~Vita Has the BEST ReputationBella~Vita Has the BEST ReputationBella~Vita Has the BEST ReputationBella~Vita Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post

That's my sad little story of why I covet nice, thick eyebrows like Brooke Shields and probably yours too. Here's the rule of thumb created by beauty "experts": take a pencil and angle it from the inside corner of your eye up. Where it falls should be a good starting point for your brow. Now, is it written in stone? No, because some people look better with the brow a little further in (toward the nose) or a little further back (opening the eye up more). But it's a good rule of thumb.

If your girl keeps on you about this, then mention my story and tell her it could be worse....you could have little to none at all.
Omg ! I have a similar story only it was a long time ago.. does anyone remember Nair? For your legs? Well ... lol..yup.. sure did on my eyebrows myself n a few other high school mates..lol.. We were bald and better yet .. it burned so bad we had scabs for about a month ..stoopid things I did as a teenager .. now I have to pencil in also because the hair doesn't always grow back right .. anyone have an eraser?
Bella~Vita is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bella~Vita For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2010, 01:33 PM   #9
pajama

How Do You Identify?:
Klingon
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 7,480 Times in 1,809 Posts
pajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Oh Gemme, so sorry about your eyebrow incident (seriously, I am). I've had mine waxed a couple times, and I don't care what anyone says, it hurts like hell and I won't do that to myself. Actually, I misspoke before - I don't pluck, I shave the middle and clip the rest.

I'm proud of my eyebrows dammit!!!
Yes, it hurts. The sadist in me loves it.
pajama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #10
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajara2 View Post
Yes, it hurts. The sadist in me loves it.
I'm not masochistic or a sadist but I kinda like getting waxed.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2010, 01:53 PM   #11
Darth Denkay

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm good with whatever
Relationship Status:
in love and loved

Member Photo Albums

Ah, no worries. The penis comment was quite alright - brought a smile to my face. Thanks for the concern though.

Me no = masochist. Me no like waxing. Just saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajara2 View Post
Just my $.02

First, wow, is it just me or was her penis comment pretty cold? I don't know the whole tone or anything of the comment but

Now on to the eyebrows...As with any other appearance issue. First and foremost do what you feel comfortable doing. If you like your eyebrows and feel that they look fine with your grooming level, then that's it. Period. Doing anything else would end up making you feel "less you" which would come across in your attitude and approach. So be you.

As to whether it is a faux pas, well, if you were a woman, I would recommend some more grooming (again only if you weren't totally opposed to it) because usually yes, the eyebrows don't extend past the eyes. Buuuut I'm pretty sure that rule doesn't apply to guys. Some guys do more, some guys also put clear polish on their nails.....so just depends how metrosexual you like being (no judgement about metrosexuals here).

A
Old 05-02-2010, 01:56 PM   #12
Darth Denkay

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm good with whatever
Relationship Status:
in love and loved

Member Photo Albums

See!!! Gemme and Kat/Ally's stories just demonstrate that waxing/nair can have serious and life-long affects!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat/Ally_J View Post
Omg ! I have a similar story only it was a long time ago.. does anyone remember Nair? For your legs? Well ... lol..yup.. sure did on my eyebrows myself n a few other high school mates..lol.. We were bald and better yet .. it burned so bad we had scabs for about a month ..stoopid things I did as a teenager .. now I have to pencil in also because the hair doesn't always grow back right .. anyone have an eraser?
Old 05-02-2010, 02:08 PM   #13
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

My eye brows ar fairly full, I wont say bushy cause they arent,but the older I get the more wild a fue brow hairs get..I just snip them off with sisors...dont want to look like a wild man hear.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2010, 03:08 PM   #14
Jett

How Do You Identify?:
Hardcore bullheaded grown-ass Tomboy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
she loves my shaggy hair

Location: The backroom of a night cafe plotting world domination
Thanked 3,299 Times in 568 Posts
Jett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST Reputation

I totally groom the eyebrows. I have those long thick eyebrows and have to do them some justice. I didn't used to for a long time but started again very recently, and whew... that's better... *s*.

Metropolis
The Following User Says Thank You to Jett For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2010, 03:22 PM   #15
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,742 Times in 2,566 Posts
betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation

OMG do not use a razor on anything that you don't want coming back thicker and prickly! Man up and get yourself a nice pair of tweezers to take care of the in-between stuff - shaving is SUCH a bad idea! *stress*
Old 05-03-2010, 03:23 PM   #16
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Unibrow, not OK.

I do like groomed eyebrows, Cynthia uses the clippers on hers. Plucking or waxing is not ness. to be well groomed though.

The whole "how far they can extend" is a girl thing in my opinion. Also, I can't imagine trying to change the grooming habits of someone I am dating. But whatev.

Now before I start dating someone, or if I am trying to...? I might make mention, you know if prodded by a friend or something like that.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:23 PM   #17
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by betenoire View Post
OMG do not use a razor on anything that you don't want coming back thicker and prickly! Man up and get yourself a nice pair of tweezers to take care of the in-between stuff - shaving is SUCH a bad idea! *stress*

With the clippers, it does not make their hair come back thicker, just a regular razor.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:32 PM   #18
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,742 Times in 2,566 Posts
betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalipstic View Post
With the clippers, it does not make their hair come back thicker, just a regular razor.
Darth Denkay said razor! Darth Denkay said razor! Crazy nose-bridge eyebrow farm impending!

*stress*

Oh, and:
Old 05-03-2010, 03:43 PM   #19
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by betenoire View Post
Darth Denkay said razor! Darth Denkay said razor! Crazy nose-bridge eyebrow farm impending!

*stress*

Oh, and:
Yeah Darth, we need pics!
Old 05-03-2010, 03:43 PM   #20
waxnrope
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 5/27/2011
Preferred Pronoun?:
hy ho, hy ho; he, she, it, whatever
Relationship Status:
Going slow ...

Thanked 2,958 Times in 953 Posts
waxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Thoughts???
that is too funny!
Ok, I'll admit it: once in a while (twice a year?), when I can't stand it any more, I have my brows waxed ... I wish they were bushy, I wish they were anything... they are not much, and what is there is ragged. I have a tendency to be rather faggy.
waxnrope is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eyebrows