Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 05-03-2010, 08:03 PM   #21
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

One life is One too many.
SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2010, 10:04 PM   #22
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

I agree that one life is too many..............

However as a woman with low risk for breast cancer........I prefer to avoid screening mammogram under the age of 50. I find the cancer risk associated with having repeated yearly screening mammography for 10 years with the ability to actually detect any form of breast cancer to be rare, a risk I'm not willing to take.

If I was at high risk for breast cancer and under 50, I would think ultrasound would be far less toxic with far more useful results than screening mammography. Dense breast tissue looks like cancer on a mammogram. Dense breasts are not common in women over 50. Is it ok to expose women with dense breast tissue to a procedure (that is not risk freee) that detects cancers that are dense and look the same as non-cancer dense breast tissue?

I would think it would be far more beneficial to all women to advocate for better screening techniques and better ways to prevent breast cancer.

Clinical Research is rarely about the individual and always about the general population. How do you help the many without letting the few slip through the cracks?

Health care is complicated. It is a risk/benefit analysis with every decision made.

I would suggest that instead of arguing about 'one life is too many', that we work to find better screening methods. Until then, lets educate women and give them options that make sense in their lives. Yearly screening Mammography for for low risk women between 40-50 really makes no sense. (as to breast exams........laughing.......please let that be something the femme in my bed does something without me ever knowing...........laughin
I will not assimilate

Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2010, 10:45 PM   #23
Lady Pamela

How Do You Identify?:
A Lady..Femme..Free Spirit with a touch of survivalist woman in me.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Spiritual Warrior..She Ra..Baby Doll, or anything close..ha!
Relationship Status:
In perfect love and perfect trust I believe that will be directed..for now Just friends in my life.

1 Highscore

Location: Live in Utah but take trips to Arkansas. Plan to move there eventually.
Thanked 5,939 Times in 1,609 Posts
Lady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST Reputation

Due to knowing family who have lost the battle as well as great friends. Every year we walk for a cure!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Susan-...78200?v=wall#!

It will be held this coming Saturday.

My daughter and gradaughter are walking and I was going to but due to my chair..I MAY HAVE TO HAVE SOME ASSISTANCE THIS YEAR..LOL
We will see.

Send some posotive energy our way...smiles

When negative thoughts come to mind,
Let them die stillborn.
Speak and do posotive in any situation,
And watch your dreams grow and flurish.
If you can't say anything posotive, Zip it up.
Do not give birth to that which you do not want to see grow.
See it, Believe it, Own it, Have it!
~*~ Lady Pamela ~*~
Lady Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lady Pamela For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2010, 02:12 PM   #24
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation

For those women who have little to no health insurance, there is NIH in Bethesda. Clinical Trials seems to be the way to go. I just hope and pray that there will be a cure sooner than later.
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2010, 02:20 PM   #25
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

The same panel that wants to eradicate mammograms in women under 50 also wants to put the brakes on teaching women to do self examination. I think that is ten kinds of lame.
SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2010, 03:49 PM   #26
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
The same panel that wants to eradicate mammograms in women under 50 also wants to put the brakes on teaching women to do self examination. I think that is ten kinds of lame.
Did you read the link to Susan Love's website that was 10 FAQ? She explains the research that has been done around BSE (breast self exam) and the reason for her stance against BSE. She herself has been involved in a whole bunch of breast cancer research and is a leading authority...and if you care she is a big ole dyke.

I think 'eradicate' doing mammograms on women under 50 is a bit over the top. High risk women will still be able to get screening mammograms with appropriate follow-up for suspicious results.

Again Dr Love explains the research and why it makes no sense to do screening mammograms on low risk women between 40-50 yrs old. It's about the density of breast tissue and the incidence of false positives in low risk women between 40-50 and the follow-up testing required if a radiologists thinks there might be a tumor. Dense breast tissue shows up white on mammogram and so do tumors. Hard to tell the difference. After age 50, women's breast tissue becomes far more fatty and shows up as gray and tumors are white. Much easier to read the mammogram.

This is not some new conspiracy by white men who don't give a shit about women's health. This has been discussed among women's health advocates and clinicians for at least 15 years. A good portion of the research has been done by women clinicians and radiologists.

It's about the risk/benefit analysis. Mammogram is not without risk, particularly if you are talking about yearly mammogram starting at age 40. 10 years of xray exposure that produces false positive results (and the awful I'm scared shitless I have breast cancer when I don't) and really has little benefit in low risk women.

There is some interesting data around how exposure to xray can cause cancer......
I will not assimilate

The Following User Says Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2010, 12:28 AM   #27
DamSkippy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
aka: ThinkPink9
Relationship Status:
Sky's the limit

DamSkippy will become famous soon enough

If i had to wait till i was 50 to get checked i would be dead. Found my lump 20 days after i turned 40, i'm 44 now and in remission. I had stage 2, Invaisive Ductal Carsinoma, Her2 -, ER/PR+, Braca Gene 1 and 2 (negative), partial hystro due to grapefruit sized cycst on ovaries at 42.
DamSkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DamSkippy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2010, 08:01 AM   #28
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

look people..........

No matter what your age if you find a lump you will get a mammogram and appropriate follow-up testing (ultra sound, biopsy). It is ludicrous to suggest otherwise and nothing in any recommendations I have ever read suggest anything else.

I am talking about routine yearly screening mammograms for low risk women.

Concerning BSE, let me see if I can explain my position a bit better. I don't like the ritualized search and destroy mindset of standing in front of the mirror, looking for visual defects in my breasts and then feeling around each breast looking for cancer. Just doesn't work for me.

That being said, over the years I have had two lumps in my breasts that required mammogram follow-up. Neither of them was found by doing the BSE. One I found while taking a shower....you know soap and water on the breast... and the other was found by a sexual partner.

The point is........know what your breasts feel like. If it works for you to do BSE, then by all means.....however I can't go with that looking for cancer mindset on a monthly basis. There are other far more positive ways to know your breasts.
I will not assimilate

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2010, 09:46 AM   #29
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation

Cancer sucks.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:43 PM   #30
Lady Pamela

How Do You Identify?:
A Lady..Femme..Free Spirit with a touch of survivalist woman in me.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Spiritual Warrior..She Ra..Baby Doll, or anything close..ha!
Relationship Status:
In perfect love and perfect trust I believe that will be directed..for now Just friends in my life.

1 Highscore

Location: Live in Utah but take trips to Arkansas. Plan to move there eventually.
Thanked 5,939 Times in 1,609 Posts
Lady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Pamela View Post
Due to knowing family who have lost the battle as well as great friends. Every year we walk for a cure!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Susan-...78200?v=wall#!

It will be held this coming Saturday.

My daughter and gradaughter are walking and I was going to but due to my chair..I MAY HAVE TO HAVE SOME ASSISTANCE THIS YEAR..LOL
We will see.

Send some posotive energy our way...smiles

Update

The run/walk went awsome today!
Thousands showed up and hundreds walked/ran.

I don't know the tally but I am sure it was a great amount to help.

When negative thoughts come to mind,
Let them die stillborn.
Speak and do posotive in any situation,
And watch your dreams grow and flurish.
If you can't say anything posotive, Zip it up.
Do not give birth to that which you do not want to see grow.
See it, Believe it, Own it, Have it!
~*~ Lady Pamela ~*~
Lady Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Pamela For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2010, 02:49 PM   #31
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Smile Survival and Hope

I have a very close friend of mine who is a 1 year survivor (next week). I am so excited because her husband is having a huge party for her when her daughter comes home from college. It is just a day of celebration. Life is good when miracles happen. Lady Pamela, I am thrilled to hear about the number of folks walking. Susan G. Komen is just a Godsend for this horrible disease. I hope to see a cure for this cancer during my lifetime!