mister
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
hard to hold

1 Highscore

Location: where the road goes on forever and the party never ends
Thanked 1,533 Times in 437 Posts
little man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputation
Default framing oil paintings--help?

i'm trying to find out about the proper way to frame an oil painting.

i have several oils my mom did in the past year and would like to frame them to hang at the house.

most are on canvas wrapped hardboard. a couple are on stretched canvas on a frame.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

i'm a rambling man
i ain't ever gonna change
i got a gypsy soul to blame
and i was born for leaving

--zac brown band (colder weather)
little man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to little man For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2009, 11:10 PM   #2
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,264 Posts
Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

Hi wil! No glass, okay? Oil paintings have to be exposed to the air. There are frames that are specific to oil paintings and if you have a Michaels craft store, they'll have them in the frame department. Best of luck!
Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:14 PM   #3
Galahad

How Do You Identify?:
do I have to?
Relationship Status:
single

Galahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST Reputation

I am pretty sure the Nov/Dec issue of The Artist's magazine has an article on framing professionally. You may be able to see it online. You can wedge the canvas into the frame with nails tapped in against it, but if you have an art store/frame store nearby they should sell the different brackets. There are these small brackets that hold a stretched canvas in place shaped like a ??? well, a right angle with another at the bottom, sort of a step or a z with the angle straightened out. This way there are no gouges on the canvas or nails bent into it. Just one small screw into the back of the framex4. For hard board canvas if the frame is deep enough use a small L bracket.
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galahad For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2009, 11:26 PM   #4
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

Thanked 1,617 Times in 633 Posts
Cyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST Reputation

This text from ebay: "How to Frame Your New Original Oil Painting" is actually not a bad basic guide.
__________________________________________________ _
"So, you just bought a beautiful new oil painting and it needs framing. Here are some tips and suggestions for getting it done in a cost-conscious fashion.

First, your painting is mostly likely painted on canvas. That canvas can either be stretched on a wooden frame, mounted on wood or gator board, or unstretched. If the painting is unstretched and it arrived rolled in a tube, you will need to take it to someone how knows how to stretch it for you, and this will most likely have to be your local custom frame shop.

If the painting is mounted on wood or already stretched, then the next step is to determine whether the painting is on a standard size canvas. The most common standard sizes are as follows (all measurements are given in inches):

5 x 7
6 x 8
8 x 10
11 x 14
12 x 16
14 x 18
16 x 20
20 x 24
22 x 28
30 x 40
If your painting is not one of these sizes, you will probably need to pay a visit to your local custom frame shop unless you know how to make frames yourself.

If you purchased a painting on a standard size canvas, then framing will be a relatively simple task for you to do yourself. The first thing you will need to do is find somewhere to shop for frames. There are several hobby and craft store chains that sell frames in a wide variety of prices. Some of these frames may come with glass and backing board, but you will not need them to frame an oil painting.

Oil paintings need to breath, so should never be framed under glass. And are usually also not backed by more than a paper dust cover.

If you purchase a frame that came with glass read this paragraph, otherwise, skip to the next. The glass and backer board are usually held in place with little bits of metal called glazers points. These can be removed with a needle nose plier and a little elbow grease. You can discard the glass, backer board and glazers points. Also, if it came with a sawtoothed hanger, I would also suggest discarding that too. They are notoriously unstable for hanging paintings.

Now, you have a frame that is just a frame. No glass, no backerboard and no hardware to hold the painting in place or hanging hardware to hang it on the wall. Also, the painting may be deeper than the frame, or vice versa. In either case, you will need two offset clips (also known as mirror hangers), two strap hangers (also known as d-ring hangers), four #8 screws and a length of picture hanging wire one and one-half times the horizontal measurement of the frame. You will also need a nail or hook to put in the wall on which the painting will ultimately hang.

You are now ready to put the canvas in the back of the frame using the offset clips. Place one on each side of the frame (either top & bottom, or left and right) and screw them in place using the #8 screws.

Now, meausre 1/3rd down the vertical length of the frame and place a strap hanger on each side using two of the #8 screws. Don't tighten the screw all the down on the strap hangers so that they rotate freely.

Slip one end of the hanging wire in one strap hanger and wrap the end around securily 5 or 6 times. Finally, without wrapping the wire, but holding it security, insert it into the other strap hanger. Make sure there is a little slack in the wire to allow for ease of placing it on the hanging hook before wrapping the end of the wire around itself on this side 5 or 6 times. And your painting should be ready to hang on the wall!"

Obviously the frame you choose should suit the painting in a pleasing manner. An ill-suited frame can really distract from the aesthetics of the artwork, and a complementary frame can enhance it. Don't display an artwork in direct sunlight, or near to a heat source or area of high humidity. Repeated heating and cooling can destroy a painting.

If money is no object you should go to a reputable framer. You may need a deeper frame for the stretched canvas, and they can provide you with one. If mom tends to use a particular size surface for paintings you might want to start picking up cheap frames at yard sales and the like, when you see them, and she, or you can sand them and stain them (or finish in whatever way) yourself.

Best of luck to you and your mother will appreciate you taking such good care of her work. Enjoy!
Cyclopea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cyclopea For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2009, 08:04 AM   #5
little man

How Do You Identify?:
mister
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
hard to hold

1 Highscore

little man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputation

thanks, everyone. this is great help. much appreciated!

by the by....does anyone here make their own frames? i'm interested in learning to make my own.

i'm a rambling man

Old 12-26-2009, 09:41 AM   #6
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,264 Posts
Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

I technically know how, wil, but it involves a miter saw and precise 45 degree angles. I confess I am intimidated enough that I haven't tried it. It's easier to buy old frames at yard sales and thrift stores and repaint or re-gild them.
Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:31 PM   #7
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Monogamously Attached to my boyfriend and future husband.

Thanked 31,985 Times in 9,937 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

I don't know if there's a book or something, but my mother's dad (my grandfather) framed his own oil paintings. The frame was made, held together using a dowl system and he had custom saws, planes, etc for designing the frame - specific types of wood. Sometimes he would stain them... depending on the wood, kind of painting, etc.

I hope you find someone who can help steer you to who you might learn the craft from. I have no idea how my grandfather learned to do it. His frames turned out very nice looking and were very sturdy in construction, though.
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:35 PM   #8
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by little man View Post
i'm trying to find out about the proper way to frame an oil painting.

i have several oils my mom did in the past year and would like to frame them to hang at the house.

most are on canvas wrapped hardboard. a couple are on stretched canvas on a frame.

any help would be greatly appreciated!
I would call a do it yourself frame shop, plus they'll have the tools you'll need and the right protective glass so they don't fade.
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:41 PM   #9
little man

How Do You Identify?:
mister
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
hard to hold

1 Highscore

thanks, folks! i'd almost forgotten about this thread.

i appreciate the advice and direction.

i'm a rambling man

Old 06-01-2010, 05:45 PM   #10
Oneida

How Do You Identify?:
Free

Oneida Has the BEST ReputationOneida Has the BEST ReputationOneida Has the BEST ReputationOneida Has the BEST ReputationOneida Has the BEST ReputationOneida Has the BEST ReputationOneida Has the BEST ReputationOneida Has the BEST ReputationOneida Has the BEST ReputationOneida Has the BEST ReputationOneida Has the BEST Reputation

Hi, there!

I've framed several paintings for my home that my Dad did post-retirement. :-)

In most cases, I found standard frames and then added the hardware for hanging (like wire). Recently, he painted on a canvas for which I could not find a standard frame. My Dad special ordered one and assembled it for me (I think he ordered it from Michaels).

I never put glass over those paintings! There's no need to frame an oil painting under glass if it's painted on canvas, panel, or board. You may see it done in museums, but that's to protect against vandalism and other hazards to the painting.

Good luck! You will enjoy seeing her art displayed in your house.
Oneida is offline   Reply With Quote