Greco

How Do You Identify?:
GNC, not Trans, REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Thanked 6,643 Times in 2,288 Posts
Greco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST Reputation
Default Love of Artists

What Remains: The Life and Work of Sally Mann - Part 1 of 3

What Remains: The Life and Work of Sally Mann - Part 2 of 3

What Remains: The Life and Work of Sally Mann - Part 3 of 3

Greco

"Me gusta andar, pero no sigo el camino pues lo seguro no tiene misterio." Facundo Cabral
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Greco For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #2
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Greco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST Reputation
Default Mr. Gordon Parks

Half Past Autumn: The Life and Work of Gordon Parks

Currently there is an exhibition of Mr. Gordon Parks's
art at the Arturo Alfonso Schomburg Center in NYC

Arturo Alfonso Schomburg was a Puerto Rican-
American who collected art throughout his life.

His mother was Mary Joseph from St. Croix, Virgin Islands,
and Carlos Schomberg, Puerto Rican of German descent.

He was a law a clerk, a Kappa Alpha Psi, a translator, a writer
and his collection has become the Schomburg Center in
Harlem, New York City.

Mr. Arturo Alfonso Schomburg, and Mr Gordon Parks
continue to be my mentors.

Greco

"Me gusta andar, pero no sigo el camino pues lo seguro no tiene misterio." Facundo Cabral
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greco For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2012, 11:29 PM   #3
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Default Sally Mann 1/3

Folks, this is the Love of Artists thread.

I've made a mistake somehow, but the other will
be deleted as soon as the Admin can.

Enjoy these incredible artists.

Greco

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greco For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #4
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Default love of art - photographers

Masters of photography - Diane Arbus (documentary, 1972)

Greco

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Greco For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Default love of art: photographer - Stieglitz

Alfred Stieglitz: The Eloquent Eye (1999)

Greco

Old 07-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #6
LaneyDoll

How Do You Identify?:
Girly girl femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She; Ma'am; Miss ;)
Relationship Status:
Pitbull protected.

Thanked 7,689 Times in 1,610 Posts
LaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by greco View Post
Currently there is an exhibition of Mr. Gordon Parks's
art at the Arturo Alfonso Schomburg Center in NYC

Arturo Alfonso Schomburg was a Puerto Rican-
American who collected art throughout his life.

His mother was Mary Joseph from St. Croix, Virgin Islands,
and Carlos Schomberg, Puerto Rican of German descent.

He was a law a clerk, a Kappa Alpha Psi, a translator, a writer
and his collection has become the Schomburg Center in
Harlem, New York City.

Mr. Arturo Alfonso Schomburg, and Mr Gordon Parks
continue to be my mentors.

Greco
I love Gordon Parks. I once bought about a dozen copies of "A Star for Noon" and presented them to my closest friends.

"Now here in this place where spring has buried winter, the despair that threatened our Eden is a forgotten word. Having stolen Heaven from the Gods, I feel no guilt for it. If you would have a star for noon, it shall be yours."

Old 07-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Default Artist as Activist

Sebastiao Salgado (Brazilian photojournalist)

Sebastiao Salgado is a Paris based photojournalist, who has documented the lives of Latin American peasants, diamond mine workers in Brazil, and famine in Africa. His most recent books Migrations: Humanity in Transition and The Children: Refugees and Migrants illuminate the plight of migrants, refugees, and displaced persons all over the world. His previous books include An Uncertain Grace and Workers: An Archaeology of the Industrial Age.

Greco

Old 08-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #8
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Default Judith Scott - Fabric Sculptor * Incredible life*

Outsider: The Life and Art of Judith Scott - preview

Judith Scott at The Museum of Everything (BBC Culture Show 2011)

Greco

Old 08-17-2012, 12:43 PM   #9
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Default Love of Artists - Visual Artist

Improvisations in Time: Eugene J. Martin and the Masur Museum of Art

The Masur Museum of Art in Monroe, Louisiana, celebrates the recent acquisition of twenty-four works of art from the estate of the artist Eugene J. Martin (1938-2005) with a solo exhibit entitled "Improvisations in Time: Eugene J. Martin and the Masur Museum of Art". The exhibit showcases ~70 graphite and pen & ink drawings, mixed media works and collages, paintings on paper and canvas, and photographs on loan from the Louisiana State University Museum of Art, Baton Rouge LA, and the Estate of Eugene J. Martin. All works were created in Washington D.C., Chapel N.C. and Lafayette LA between 1960's and 2003. The exhibit takes over the Museum's three floors.

visual artist Eugene J. Martin at work, 1992

Martin studied painting at the Corcoran School of Art and Design in Washington D.C. His often humorous and highly abstract paintings, collages, drawings, and photographs primarily deal with the concepts of time and memory. He has exhibited at the Ohr-O'Keefe Museum of Art, MS; Louisiana State University Museum of Art, LA; Walter Anderson Museum of Art, MS; New Orleans African American Museum, LA; Lilly Gallery, Duke University; Michel Rooryck Gallery, Ghent, and Oudenaarde Town Hall, Belgium; and the Acadiana Center for the Arts, Lafayette LA, among others. Martin's art also resides in the permanent collections of the Munich Museum of Modern Art, Munich, Germany; Ogden Museum of Southern Art, LA; University of Delaware Museums, DE; Schomburg Center for Black Culture, NY; Sheldon Museum of Art, NE; Stowitts Museum, CA; Walter O. Evans Collection of African American Art, Savannah GA; Mobile Museum of Art, AL, among others.

Curator Benjam Hickey writes in the Exhibition's catalogue that "On the surface, Eugene J. Martin's work appears to be an after-the-fact riff on modernism driven abstraction. His work is related to this tradition, but is something more. Martin was an accomplished Jazz musician and incorporated his experience of rhythmic improvisation also associated with High Modernism or Abstract Expressionism as a means of illustrating the irregular, non-linear, but cyclical manner humans perceive, understand, and experience the world around them. He used biomorphic and quasi-mechanical abstractions to create this link with the physical perceived world, but warped them to reference the slipstream nature of consciousness as well. The improvisational language Martin ascribed to any moment or period of time plays back into how he considered his oeuvre. He conceived of it as fluid and let it be guided directly by variables such as access to art making materials dictated by his financial means, a passing interest in any given media or subject matter, and his mood. He would also muddle the chronology of his work by creating new work to add on to old pieces, dismantle a completed artwork and incorporate it into several works, or do the same with photographs of his art. This totally integrated art practice is what makes Martin stand apart from other artists; his improvisations were rigorous and permeated his entire decision making process."

Greco

The Following User Says Thank You to Greco For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #10
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,624 Times in 1,561 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation

Chris Ofili

infamous (in the US) for being the artist/exhibit that Giuliani tried to shut down at the Brooklyn Museum of Art because of his controversial Madonna.

i think that video was cut short, here's an interview given after a recent retrospective

Old 08-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #11
Reader
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Butch, Dyke, Feminist, Contrarian
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,229 Times in 586 Posts
Reader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST Reputation
Default Dan Rupe

Dan Rupe

I first saw this painter's work in Provincetown. I admire it even more than I did twenty years ago.

His canvasses are still so fresh and alive; the way he captures light is stunning. These jpegs might as well be done in tones of beige; they do his work no justice.

Seeing his paintings in person is like sitting in the front row of a live symphony performance as they perform your favorite piece.

http://gallerydriver.com/?method=Art...E291E1E9A3758D
The Following User Says Thank You to Reader For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #12
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,624 Times in 1,561 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation
Default The Tate Modern, Eliason & Kapoor

One of my favorite museums in the world, The Tate Modern, is a renovated turbine hall; what was once a decrepit symbol of industrialism is now an icon in London and has some of the most unique and special exhibition spaces in the world. And like all museums in the UK, admission is free.

The actual Turbine Hall itself has housed some of my favorite exhibits

'The Weather Project' by Olafur Eliason

Eliason is the artist that created the Waterfalls in New York a few years ago, he's also has permanent pieces in SF MoMA among other great collections.

And I experienced one of my favorite sculptors Anish Kapoor in the Turbine Hall as well

This exhibit is more recent and in Paris at the Grand Palais

Kapoor created the very controversial red steel sculpture/structure outside of the Olympic stadium

and his work that is probably most recognized in the US is Cloud Gate in Chicago (colloquially known as "the bean")
Old 08-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #13
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Default Schama's Power of Art Van Gogh

The Power of Art - Van Gogh (complete episode)

The complete series: http://gekos.no/workshop/video.html
The Dutch Post-Impressionist master.
Van Gogh spent his early life as an art dealer, teacher and preacher in England, Holland and Belgium. His period as an artist began in 1881 when he chose to study art in Brussels, starting with watercolours and moving quickly on to oils. The French countryside was a major influence on his life and his early work was dominated by sombre, earthy colours depicting peasant workers, the most famous of which is The Potato Eaters, 1885.

It was during Van Gogh's studies in Paris (1886-8) that he developed the individual style of brushwork and use of colour that made his name. In 1888 he moved to Arles where the Provençal landscape provided his best-known subject matter. However, it also marked the start of his mental crisis following an argument with his contemporary Paul Gauguin. Van Gogh was committed to a mental asylum in 1889 where he continued to paint, but he committed suicide in 1890.

Sparkle, I also appreciate Kapoor's sculpture, you, and Reader welcome to the thread.

Greco

Old 08-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #14
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Default Love of Artists - a painter - Basquiat

Jean-Michel Basquiat: The Radiant Child (2010)

In his short career, Jean-Michel Basquiat was a phenomenon. He became notorious for his graffiti art under the moniker Samo in the late 1970s on the Lower East Side scene, sold his first painting to Deborah Harry for $200, and became best friends with Andy Warhol. Appreciated by both the art cognoscenti and the public, Basquiat was launched into international stardom. However, soon his cult status began to override the art that had made him famous in the first place. Director Tamra Davis pays homage to her friend in this definitive documentary but also delves into Basquiat as an iconoclast. His dense, bebop-influenced neoexpressionist work emerged while minimalist, conceptual art was the fad; as a successful black artist, he was constantly confronted by racism and misconceptions. Much can be gleaned from insider interviews and archival footage, but it is Basquiat's own words and work that powerfully convey the mystique and allure of both the artist and the man.

Greco

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greco For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #15
stephfromMIT
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Troll
Preferred Pronoun?:
she her
Relationship Status:
engaged to my fiancee Amanda

stephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST Reputation
Talking My favorite artist

My favorite artist is Amanda McDonough. (my fiancee)
The Following User Says Thank You to stephfromMIT For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2012, 06:43 AM   #16
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Default Love of Poets are artists too

Elizabeth Bishop

One Art
by Elizabeth Bishop

The art of losing isn't hard to master;
so many things seem filled with the intent
to be lost that their loss is no disaster.

Lose something every day. Accept the fluster
of lost door keys, the hour badly spent.
The art of losing isn't hard to master.

Then practice losing farther, losing faster:
places, and names, and where it was you meant
to travel. None of these will bring disaster.

I lost my mother's watch. And look! my last, or
next-to-last, of three loved houses went.
The art of losing isn't hard to master.

I lost two cities, lovely ones. And, vaster,
some realms I owned, two rivers, a continent.
I miss them, but it wasn't a disaster.

--Even losing you (the joking voice, a gesture
I love) I shan't have lied. It's evident
the art of losing's not too hard to master
though it may look like (Write it!) like disaster.

Greco

Old 08-18-2012, 06:55 AM   #17
Semantics

How Do You Identify?:
malapropist
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,209 Posts
Semantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST Reputation
Default Henry Darger

His dress was shabby; he was a solitary. In 1930 he settled into a second-floor room on Chicago's north side. It was in this room, more than 40 years later, after his death in 1973, that Darger's extraordinary secret life was discovered.
Amid a thick accumulation of debris- including hundreds of Pepto-Bismol bottles, nearly a thousand balls of string, old newspapers, magazines and comic books, religious kitsch and much more- his landlord, the photographer Nathan Lerner, found a creative life's work: an enormous literary and pictorial production. The key element was a picaresque tale in 12 massive volumes composed of some 19,000 pages of legal-sized paper filled with single-spaced typing entitled The Story of the Vivian Girls, in what is Known as the Realms of the Unreal, of the Glandeco-Angelinian War Storm, Caused by the Child Slave Rebellion. The origins of this epic appear to be in 1909. It took more than eleven years to write it in longhand; in 1912 Darger began the task of typing the still incomplete manuscript...
the most important supplement to the book, however, exists in the several hundred watercolor paintings Darger left in his room, many of them illustrations for The Realms of the Unreal. They transform Darger’s apocalyptic text into a body of images that are among the most original and beautiful in outsider art.

http://www.hammergallery.com/artists/darger/darger.htm
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Semantics For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2012, 07:02 AM   #18
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Default Love of Poets - are artists real and grounded in Self-Love

Still I rise - Dr. Maya Angelou

Greco

Old 08-18-2012, 07:17 AM   #19
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Default Love of Poets - Our much loved Sra Julia De Burgos

RIO GRANDE DE LOIZA POEMA DE JULIA DE BURGOS

Homenaje a Julia de Burgos, los poetas Etaniris Rivera,
Marianela Medrano, Yrene Santos y Tomás Galán
visitaron la tarja junto al río donde está el poema.

Cada poeta lee un fragmento el homenaje a Julia de Burgos.

Greco

Old 08-18-2012, 07:36 AM   #20
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Default Love of Poets - Mary Oliver

Mary Oliver reading Wild Geese and other poems

One of our favorites.

Greco

Closed Thread