Old 11-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #21
Samurai Wanderer

How Do You Identify?:
It's cool!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Cooky
Relationship Status:
In love

Samurai Wanderer Has the BEST ReputationSamurai Wanderer Has the BEST ReputationSamurai Wanderer Has the BEST ReputationSamurai Wanderer Has the BEST ReputationSamurai Wanderer Has the BEST ReputationSamurai Wanderer Has the BEST ReputationSamurai Wanderer Has the BEST ReputationSamurai Wanderer Has the BEST ReputationSamurai Wanderer Has the BEST ReputationSamurai Wanderer Has the BEST ReputationSamurai Wanderer Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Tia View Post
horses? Something with horses?

I love your style. Not everyone can draw in perspective and even fewer develop their own style. I would recognize yours now if I ever saw one elsewhere!
Horses are majestic creatures, aren't they? I'll have a go, Miss Tia. Thank you for the suggestion.

And thank you for your kind words. I used to feel like a chameleon hopping from style to style. Perhaps it reflected my search for identity. In some curious way, I learn about life and things through drawing. And I do feel that I'm beginning to find myself.
Samurai Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Samurai Wanderer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #22
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,565 Times in 3,960 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

I actually used art in therapy, Samarai. I use to be a children's therapist. I could tell when a child was breaking through by the progression of his or her art. Art doesnt come from the hand..it comes from the essense of someone.

I am thrilled you will attempt a BF horse drawing for me. I love horses and need them in my life. To me they represent love and freedom but most of all, self empowerment.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2012, 01:33 PM   #23
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Thanked 15,406 Times in 4,139 Posts
WolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST Reputation

Your art is wonderful and I'm enjoying the views.

Best I got is my poetry when I put pen to paper.

Keep them coming

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage --- Lao Tzo
WolfyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WolfyOne For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2012, 02:33 PM   #24
SassySparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

SassySparkle Has the BEST ReputationSassySparkle Has the BEST ReputationSassySparkle Has the BEST ReputationSassySparkle Has the BEST ReputationSassySparkle Has the BEST ReputationSassySparkle Has the BEST ReputationSassySparkle Has the BEST ReputationSassySparkle Has the BEST ReputationSassySparkle Has the BEST ReputationSassySparkle Has the BEST ReputationSassySparkle Has the BEST Reputation

LOVING your artwork!! It's beautiful!
SassySparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SassySparkle For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2012, 11:01 PM   #25
Allison W

How Do You Identify?:
TG Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Loner

Thanked 1,198 Times in 320 Posts
Allison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST Reputation

I am not entirely certain how it is that a person manages to create images of human beauty with that kind of... organic-ness, with both technical details and emotional signals being that spot-on, but I am very glad it is a thing that happens.

translation: holy shit your art is amazing. more of this kind of thing please

I'll also say that both the butches and the femmes look fantastic enough that I can't say for sure whether it's being drawn from the perspective of a butch gaze or a femme gaze. (Or, perhaps, another perspective entirely.) And that is a very good thing.

As for ideas, hmmm. You've posted images with a variety of themes already, from real-world to fantastical, so I'll pitch something out of left field. Something heroic or triumphant. Perhaps a strong young butch woman or girl who has just prevailed in a physical conflict, or one protecting her beloved?
Allison W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Allison W For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2012, 09:25 AM   #26
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

The heroic concept could work hand in hand with Tia's horse.

Unless no one likes the knight on a white steed thing anymore.

<--feeling kinda romantic this morning

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #27
Samurai Wanderer

How Do You Identify?:
It's cool!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Cooky
Relationship Status:
In love

Samurai Wanderer Has the BEST ReputationSamurai Wanderer Has the BEST ReputationSamurai Wanderer Has the BEST ReputationSamurai Wanderer Has the BEST ReputationSamurai Wanderer Has the BEST ReputationSamurai Wanderer Has the BEST ReputationSamurai Wanderer Has the BEST ReputationSamurai Wanderer Has the BEST ReputationSamurai Wanderer Has the BEST ReputationSamurai Wanderer Has the BEST ReputationSamurai Wanderer Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Tia View Post
I actually used art in therapy, Samarai. I use to be a children's therapist. I could tell when a child was breaking through by the progression of his or her art. Art doesnt come from the hand..it comes from the essense of someone.
That's fascinating. I once had a conversation about what it might mean between a child who colours well within the lines (eg in a colouring book), one who scribbles over the lines. Would be interested to hear your thoughts on that.

PS. Am currently working on the request pic.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Samurai Wanderer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2012, 07:06 PM   #28
Samurai Wanderer

How Do You Identify?:
It's cool!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Cooky
Relationship Status:
In love

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfyOne View Post
Your art is wonderful and I'm enjoying the views.

Best I got is my poetry when I put pen to paper.

Keep them coming
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySparkle View Post
LOVING your artwork!! It's beautiful!
Thank you both
Have I mentioned how I admire those who can write?
Old 11-26-2012, 07:50 PM   #29
Samurai Wanderer

How Do You Identify?:
It's cool!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Cooky
Relationship Status:
In love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison W View Post
I am not entirely certain how it is that a person manages to create images of human beauty with that kind of... organic-ness, with both technical details and emotional signals being that spot-on, but I am very glad it is a thing that happens.

translation: holy shit your art is amazing. more of this kind of thing please

I'll also say that both the butches and the femmes look fantastic enough that I can't say for sure whether it's being drawn from the perspective of a butch gaze or a femme gaze. (Or, perhaps, another perspective entirely.) And that is a very good thing.

As for ideas, hmmm. You've posted images with a variety of themes already, from real-world to fantastical, so I'll pitch something out of left field. Something heroic or triumphant. Perhaps a strong young butch woman or girl who has just prevailed in a physical conflict, or one protecting her beloved?
Wow, thank you for your amazing words! I attempt to portray the characters in the light that they'd wish to be portrayed, to the best of my understanding. It's my way of respecting my bros and sises.

That is a totally awesome idea. I've wondered more than a few times if such themes have gone out of fashion. I'm glad it's not! I've also wondered how women.. mm, damsels... feel about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
The heroic concept could work hand in hand with Tia's horse.

Unless no one likes the knight on a white steed thing anymore.

<--feeling kinda romantic this morning
I do! I do!
I'm rusty on horses, so might not be able to fit a lot of elements in one pic. There'll be more horsey pics, to be sure.

Thank you for the ideas!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Samurai Wanderer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #30
Allison W

How Do You Identify?:
TG Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Loner

Allison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Wanderer View Post
Wow, thank you for your amazing words! I attempt to portray the characters in the light that they'd wish to be portrayed, to the best of my understanding. It's my way of respecting my bros and sises.

That is a totally awesome idea. I've wondered more than a few times if such themes have gone out of fashion. I'm glad it's not! I've also wondered how women.. mm, damsels... feel about it.
Admittedly I may still be at the age where I am far too attracted to violent behaviour and physical strength (well, and strong women who could protect me physically); perhaps that's it. But if you're up for drawing it, well, I can't stop you, can I?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Allison W For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2012, 10:26 PM   #31
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation
Default in or out of the lines

Samarai...it all depends on why they are coloring wherever they are coloring. Outside of the lines can be independence showing, creativity, or stubbornness, rebelliousness, or even a neurological disorder. It could mean they are exploring feelings or having too many feelings stuffed.

What I looked for was color selection, pressure, thickness of lines, movement and images freely formed subconsciously.

I always asked them their interpretation first, before I would examine it closer. I can see red as a color of anger and to the child, it could be a memory of the red blanket he carried around as a child and lost...which is tied into the grief now over losing his mother to alcoholism..(true story).

And for the record, almost all anger has a sense of loss attached to it. So sometimes even if they dont see the anger it there and sometimes its all about the blankie...

I had a child who would only color with greens. I gave him a box of crayons with no greens it and told him to draw me a picture. if you could have seen the torment on his face and how hard he processed this for such a long time...he simply could not do it without green. OCD. So I got finger paints and we explored putting colors together and seeing them change colors. Then we got water and food coloring..and he watched blue and yellow turn to green. By the time we were done with my therapy with him, he was using a couple more colors. Not all of them but lil steps is good. And not everyone has to use all the colors. In one culture, (I dont remember where) they only see three colors. Period. Shades of them but no other colors. So perceptions play a big part of it. If he had been older we would have explored this too. But I only had a few week with him...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2012, 10:38 PM   #32
little_ms_sunshyne

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 12,242 Times in 2,540 Posts
little_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputation

You are so talented! I love your drawings! Feel like they should be in a comic!

I have to make a request A pinup inspired femme and a dapper butch.

Cannot wait to see more of your art!
little_ms_sunshyne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to little_ms_sunshyne For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2012, 10:41 PM   #33
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Oh I love that idea!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2012, 11:29 PM   #34
pinkgeek

How Do You Identify?:
that grrl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, grrl, piranha, monkey
Relationship Status:
captured....

Thanked 1,456 Times in 311 Posts
pinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I'm going to ask a question - what if anything makes this image queer other than we know it to be queer. While studying queer art sometimes all that made an image queer was the knowledge that the artist was queer (and there is nothing wrong with that) - other times there was a subtle tell - other times more obvious.

Your mileage may vary.

"I‘m heir to madness. Vessel of perversion. Your nightmare should you cross me."

((Want to read about my life in Hawaii and my ongoing war against the roosters and my pony size dog and my wedding?)) http://www.alohafemme.wordpress.com/
pinkgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pinkgeek For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2012, 07:04 AM   #35
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgeek View Post
I'm going to ask a question - what if anything makes this image queer other than we know it to be queer. While studying queer art sometimes all that made an image queer was the knowledge that the artist was queer (and there is nothing wrong with that) - other times there was a subtle tell - other times more obvious.

Your mileage may vary.
That's the great thing about art. It's entirely subjective.

This particular image, for me, is related directly to the artist and the medium she used to show it. But for some of the other images by the same artist, I see enough to let me know that the work, on its own, is Queer.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #36
Katniss

How Do You Identify?:
Dame, doll, twist, dish
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ladylike ones
Relationship Status:

Thanked 10,392 Times in 2,094 Posts
Katniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I attempt to portray the characters in the light that they'd wish to be portrayed, to the best of my understanding
I really, really like this concept and approach to your drawings. I so often hear authors talk about how their characters in books would react to something or "what would character x do/think/feel" but I am trying to remember if I have ever heard a visual artist approach the subject like this. Maybe...I have no art degree so won't claim a broad knowledge. What I so often read about is the many visual artists stating they painted/drew the figure because they (artist) were trying to convey a thought/feeling/idea. Almost a voyeuristic experience with the subject which can sometimes leave the viewer feeling a coolness or almost clinical approach to the work. Your drawings are very engaging and seem (to me) intimate without being intrusive. Thank you so much for sharing these with us!

Oh...and agree with Sunshyne above...the dapper butch, pinup femme idea sounds fab!

Katniss~~ (the above emoticon being the extent of my artistic ability...)
Katniss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Katniss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2012, 05:18 PM   #37
Allison W

How Do You Identify?:
TG Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Loner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katniss View Post
I really, really like this concept and approach to your drawings. I so often hear authors talk about how their characters in books would react to something or "what would character x do/think/feel"
My BDSM personas/role-playing characters/etc. get like this. It's like my issues develop issues.</tangent>

(speaking of the first commission I got done of one of said characters/personas was recently finished and delivered to me; I am not sure where to show it</supertangent>)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Allison W For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #38
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanked 21,722 Times in 5,081 Posts
nycfem has disabled reputation

I would be into seeing a drawing of a butch or a femme or some combo where one or more is full-figured

Loving this thread as well as all the great conversation your mad talent is generating.
nycfem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #39
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycfembbw View Post
I would be into seeing a drawing of a butch or a femme or some combo where one or more is full-figured

Loving this thread as well as all the great conversation your mad talent is generating.
AMEN!!!! AMEN!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2012, 09:04 AM   #40
Samurai Wanderer

How Do You Identify?:
It's cool!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Cooky
Relationship Status:
In love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison W View Post
Admittedly I may still be at the age where I am far too attracted to violent behaviour and physical strength (well, and strong women who could protect me physically); perhaps that's it. But if you're up for drawing it, well, I can't stop you, can I?
I like good ol' chivalry. Just that sometimes it seems politically incorrect nowadays to show "damsels in distress" so blatantly. It's still around when men run the show, but don't women find it degrading? ... And now Twilight comes to mind. I dunno LOL.

Tags
butch art, butch-femme art, butch-femme couples, femme art, lesbian art