Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > ART, POETRY, WRITING > Art

Old 11-13-2011, 04:17 PM   #361
VintageFemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 7,640 Times in 1,657 Posts
VintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchEire View Post
I have accounts with several stock photo sites. Advice? Well, from my experience, you can't really sell an artistically-inclined photo as well as you can a generic one. People looking for stock are looking for appealing, but generic. You also can't really do editing on potential stock, because each time you save the edit, the picture loses quality and when it's reviewed, they can pick that out a mile away.
That's really good advice and good to know. Thank you!
Old 11-13-2011, 09:36 PM   #362
Mr.Nobody

How Do You Identify?:
Niizh manidoowag...
Preferred Pronoun?:
I prefer amature nouns
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 1,528 Times in 536 Posts
Mr.Nobody Has the BEST ReputationMr.Nobody Has the BEST ReputationMr.Nobody Has the BEST ReputationMr.Nobody Has the BEST ReputationMr.Nobody Has the BEST ReputationMr.Nobody Has the BEST ReputationMr.Nobody Has the BEST ReputationMr.Nobody Has the BEST ReputationMr.Nobody Has the BEST ReputationMr.Nobody Has the BEST ReputationMr.Nobody Has the BEST Reputation

I took this...

to this...

using this...http://fotoflexer.com

it's free, nothing to download and has some really cool editing features, plus all the old stand-bys like size, color and all that.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #363
little man

How Do You Identify?:
mister
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
hard to hold

1 Highscore

Location: where the road goes on forever and the party never ends
Thanked 1,533 Times in 437 Posts
little man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputation

lately, i've been hitting a club or two every other weekend, doing live music performance shots. it's challenging and interesting...and the music is good.

if anyone has an interest, you can see some of it here.

it's taking some getting used to, the clubs not minding at all that i show up with camera gear. the folks at antone's were cool enough to set me up with some really good space to shoot.

i'm a rambling man
i ain't ever gonna change
i got a gypsy soul to blame
and i was born for leaving

--zac brown band (colder weather)
little man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to little man For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #364
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Need some advice. I'm looking to do close-ups on some stuff and need a proper lens for it. I recently got a 50mm 1:1.8 Canon EF lens for my DSLR but discovered that I had to be a 1.5 feet away from the subject (nearly longer than arm's length). Perhaps I don't realize what I need but is there a lens that would allow me to do close-up (macro) shots and be closer?

I want to use this for my cigar blog so I can take pictures of cigars, pens, whiskey and such.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #365
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,972 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Need some advice. I'm looking to do close-ups on some stuff and need a proper lens for it. I recently got a 50mm 1:1.8 Canon EF lens for my DSLR but discovered that I had to be a 1.5 feet away from the subject (nearly longer than arm's length). Perhaps I don't realize what I need but is there a lens that would allow me to do close-up (macro) shots and be closer?

I want to use this for my cigar blog so I can take pictures of cigars, pens, whiskey and such.
Why are you feeling you want a macro shot? You should still get nice Depth of Field using that lens from a distance.
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #366
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun_dee View Post
Why are you feeling you want a macro shot? You should still get nice Depth of Field using that lens from a distance.
'Cuz my arms are not that long. I need something that works a little better with my shorter arms.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:28 PM   #367
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

I got a 55mm for my Nikon 40 dslr that is perfect for those close ups without being right on top of the subject.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #368
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

oh ! i thought you wanted a shot on a tripod type shot!
Old 01-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #369
little man

How Do You Identify?:
mister
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
hard to hold

1 Highscore

little man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
'Cuz my arms are not that long. I need something that works a little better with my shorter arms.
i have a 135mm lens that might work for you. it's a fixed focal length, the depth of field is really nice. obviously, a fast lens would give you more lighting options.

you might want to take your camera to the local camera store and try some lenses out...rent one for a weekend, or just try some shots in the store. since you're shooting digital, you can see what your shots look like right then.

i'm a rambling man

Old 01-28-2012, 06:59 AM   #370
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

i LOVE my 135 lens, i hardly take it off the camera now...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #371
little man

How Do You Identify?:
mister
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
hard to hold

1 Highscore

Default new work

last night was my first burlesque show. the space was really small, the audience fairly drunk, and i had too much lens for the space i was in. however, i gave it a go.

images here, if anyone is interested.

i'm a rambling man

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to little man For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #372
Daktari

I use a lovely old Siggy 28 f2.8 which handles macro fairly well. The Nikkor 35 f1.4 is just dreamy, I wish it had autofocus.

Don't forget that a 50mm on a film camera is a 75mm on a digital.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:07 PM   #373
little man

How Do You Identify?:
mister
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
hard to hold

1 Highscore

just made a deal with a guy to buy his sigma 70-200mm f2.8. says he's only had it 3 months and doesn't use it much at all. i'm super excited.

this means i'll be able to use my own gear to shoot the burlesque brunch this coming sunday! yay!

i'm a rambling man

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to little man For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #374
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Thanked 7,098 Times in 2,321 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation

Any other visual artists, photo junkies, and hobbiests willing to admit any amount of growing addiction to instagram?

I started instagram quite critical of the prepackaged filters that allowed folks with little sense of composition to make a trendy shot. Now though, I find that I'm not only enjoying posting my own shots, but following a few artists I admire, as well as friends and family who use the app.

And for those fortunate souls who don't use instagram, I share my instagrid (a website that displays your instagrams). shameless plug - my photo feed

Recently, I've been keen on the idea of setting up instacanvas to offer for sale some of my better shots. Anyone try this yet? Feedback?

Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:47 PM   #375
little man

How Do You Identify?:
mister
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
hard to hold

1 Highscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy View Post
Any other visual artists, photo junkies, and hobbiests willing to admit any amount of growing addiction to instagram?

I started instagram quite critical of the prepackaged filters that allowed folks with little sense of composition to make a trendy shot. Now though, I find that I'm not only enjoying posting my own shots, but following a few artists I admire, as well as friends and family who use the app.

And for those fortunate souls who don't use instagram, I share my instagrid (a website that displays your instagrams). shameless plug - my photo feed

Recently, I've been keen on the idea of setting up instacanvas to offer for sale some of my better shots. Anyone try this yet? Feedback?

i'm not as fancy as all that.

i think ash has some stuff up on instacanvas, if memory serves. you could touch base with him and see what he has to say.

i'm a rambling man

The Following User Says Thank You to little man For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2012, 07:13 PM   #376
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Thanked 7,098 Times in 2,321 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by little man View Post
i'm not as fancy as all that.

i think ash has some stuff up on instacanvas, if memory serves. you could touch base with him and see what he has to say.
Thanks Wil, I'll do that. I had started following his feed. I didn't know he used the canvas though...cool!
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:47 PM   #377
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

What is instavanvas?

I can't keep up !!
Old 08-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #378
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Also i've decided i want to shoot people

i don't know where to start!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #379
StrongButch

How Do You Identify?:
I see the world thru a lens
Preferred Pronoun?:
Yes Boss
Relationship Status:
Chillin out with awesome women

Thanked 4,185 Times in 1,179 Posts
StrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST Reputation
Default My Photography

StrongButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to StrongButch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #380
StrongButch

How Do You Identify?:
I see the world thru a lens
Preferred Pronoun?:
Yes Boss
Relationship Status:
Chillin out with awesome women

Thanked 4,185 Times in 1,179 Posts
StrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST Reputation
Default Another one of my pics

StrongButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to StrongButch For This Useful Post: