Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 12-18-2012, 11:26 AM   #221
Novelafemme
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 8,925 Times in 1,834 Posts
Novelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST Reputation

How beautiful, Dee!! That is knitted, correct?

My mom taught me how to crochet when I was around 10 and I have been making things ever since!

I can't just sit and watch TV or a movie without something for my hands to do, so yarn-work is perfect.
Novelafemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Novelafemme For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #222
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelafemme View Post
How beautiful, Dee!! That is knitted, correct?

My mom taught me how to crochet when I was around 10 and I have been making things ever since!

I can't just sit and watch TV or a movie without something for my hands to do, so yarn-work is perfect.

Nope it's Tunisian crochet, which is really a combination of both.

i posted pics here!

You would LOVE to do this, it's so easy and you can sit it in your lap anywhere.

http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/foru...7&postcount=39
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:22 PM   #223
ArtistLady

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Single

ArtistLady Has the BEST ReputationArtistLady Has the BEST ReputationArtistLady Has the BEST ReputationArtistLady Has the BEST ReputationArtistLady Has the BEST ReputationArtistLady Has the BEST ReputationArtistLady Has the BEST ReputationArtistLady Has the BEST ReputationArtistLady Has the BEST ReputationArtistLady Has the BEST ReputationArtistLady Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl_dee View Post

Nope it's Tunisian crochet, which is really a combination of both.

i posted pics here!

You would LOVE to do this, it's so easy and you can sit it in your lap anywhere.

http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/foru...7&postcount=39
Have you tried cro-knit? It is a little different than Tunisian and uses a cord attached to a crochet hook. I love both styles!
ArtistLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:41 AM   #224
MsMerrick

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Feminist Femme....
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single and Singular....

MsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
Does that stand for Senior Action in a Gay Environment?
Yes..although the exact acronym has been changed off and on , I am told
MsMerrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #225
MsMerrick

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Feminist Femme....
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single and Singular....

MsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Meander View Post
My biggest crochet-related problem to date is that I have expensive taste in yarn. Anyone have the inside scoop for discounted, high quality yarn?
KnitPicks
And are you a member of Ravelry ? People sell stashs of yarn, and theres also tons of posts and groups.. with millions of yarn addicts, looking for much the same thing
MsMerrick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsMerrick For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2013, 10:23 AM   #226
Novelafemme
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 8,925 Times in 1,834 Posts
Novelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST Reputation

After 5 long months I finally finished my granny stripe crochet blanket. It is wonderful and makes me so happy every time I walk in the bedroom.
Novelafemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Novelafemme For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #227
amiyesiam

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/they
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 10,138 Times in 2,161 Posts
amiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelafemme View Post

After 5 long months I finally finished my granny stripe crochet blanket. It is wonderful and makes me so happy every time I walk in the bedroom.
That is beautiful!

A year from now you will wish that you started today~Karen Lamb
amiyesiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #228
lusciouskiwi

How Do You Identify?:
femme lesbian feminist
Preferred Pronoun?:
Anything except for "aunty"
Relationship Status:
Happy with my butch.

Thanked 9,096 Times in 1,899 Posts
lusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputation

Just wanted to pop in and say "hi". My paternal nana tried to teach me how to crochet but I didn't get it and we didn't persist.

I recently bought a hook and some nasty acrylic wool to learn. My ex's mum showed me how to do the basic chain stitch but I need to practice a lot more!

I saw this on facebook and think it looks super cool!

But I can't figure out how to get to the original source.

Risk! Risk anything! Care no more for the opinions of others, for those voices. Do the hardest thing on earth for you. Act for yourself. Face the truth. Katherine Mansfield

Motivate yourself or be miserable. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice. Wayne Dyer
lusciouskiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lusciouskiwi For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #229
T-lee

How Do You Identify?:
soft butch
Relationship Status:
Single

T-lee is on a distinguished road

I have just started to teach myself crochet and I like it alot. Have started to just make blankets. I most be doing something right my niece just asked me to make a baby blanket for a friend of hers. I did som tatting when I was younger and may try that again too.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #230
Sweet Bliss

How Do You Identify?:
I Am
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

Thanked 7,264 Times in 2,158 Posts
Sweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lusciouskiwi View Post
Just wanted to pop in and say "hi". My paternal nana tried to teach me how to crochet but I didn't get it and we didn't persist.

But I can't figure out how to get to the original source.
If you can tell me where on FB maybe I can help you?

Also, look for it on Pinterest, much easier to find the links to original posts.
Sweet Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sweet Bliss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #231
Sweet Bliss

How Do You Identify?:
I Am
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

Thanked 7,264 Times in 2,158 Posts
Sweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST Reputation

Found it.

http://www.escamastudio.com/how_to.html
Sweet Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sweet Bliss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #232
Mopsie

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Female ones
Relationship Status:
Single

1 Highscore

Thanked 8,586 Times in 1,857 Posts
Mopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST Reputation

My friend is getting married in the fall. Her mother is making homemade soaps to give to the guests as they leave. My friend Amanda and I agree to knit washcloths to go with the soaps. It sounded like a good idea at the time - now I am wondering how I'm going to get all them done! Especially since I just rescued a kitten!

If I can figure out how I will post a picture of one.... Anyone else have a project going?
Mopsie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mopsie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2013, 04:32 PM   #233
sis
Diva!

How Do You Identify?:
StoneFemme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
Content!

Thanked 1,401 Times in 296 Posts
sis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Idle hands .....

..... eat too many cookies! So, yes, I constantly have a project on the go. I generally have a baby-sized blanket on-the-go which is perfect for when I sit and watch movies. They take about a week to do during the evenings. I'm just starting three days off and I plan to make one completly and perhaps start a second one. They make lovely gifts. I plan on donating one to the Reunion for the raffle.

I would love to hear about projects other people are doing ...... please, share!

Deb
Oh! Please do!
Oh! Please!
Oh!
sis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sis For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2013, 06:02 PM   #234
Mopsie

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Female ones
Relationship Status:
Single

1 Highscore

Mopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST Reputation

Well shoot - I figured out how to upload the was cloth photo to BFP but don't know how to post it here ....
Old 04-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #235
amiyesiam

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/they
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 10,138 Times in 2,161 Posts
amiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I love the pop tab crocheting. It looks fiddly but challenging.

My projects can be seen here on Ravelry (knitting site). I love rav because I can track every knitting/spinning project for free.
ami's projects on Ravelry

A year from now you will wish that you started today~Karen Lamb
amiyesiam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to amiyesiam For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #236
maryam

How Do You Identify?:
femme-ish
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
taken

maryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sis View Post
..... eat too many cookies! So, yes, I constantly have a project on the go. I generally have a baby-sized blanket on-the-go which is perfect for when I sit and watch movies. They take about a week to do during the evenings. I'm just starting three days off and I plan to make one completly and perhaps start a second one. They make lovely gifts. I plan on donating one to the Reunion for the raffle.

I would love to hear about projects other people are doing ...... please, share!

Deb
I am polyamorous when it comes to projects.... So right now I have the following knit projects going on.

The Mushroom Hat: I started with EZ's TriCornered hat from "a Knitter's Almanac" but I misread the pattern on the first one I did. So mine turned out weird. But I liked to the look, so I started a new one. After making more changes to it, of course. My sister and niece are arguing over who get's the 'shroom Hat so I might make two. I'm using this weird Louisa Harding yarn I found at Tuesday Morning.

A sock: Yarn Harlot's Basic Sock recipe, from "Knitting Rules". My first sock ever, knit on mystery sock yarn from the stash. No idea how it's gonna turn out. If it turns out well, I might make two.

A blue shawlette: again, made of mystery sock yarn from stash. No pattern, really. I'm just starting at the point, inserting lace panels as it gets big enough and then casting off when I run out yarn. The lace patterns are all selected from my stitch dictionary.

Random blanket sqares for Warm Up America. Doing them out of acrylic because that's what the lady I'm doing them for prefers. I think because it's easy care and these are going to Senior Care homes.

Dr Who Scarf. Self Explanatory! I'm using knit picks Palette, I think, but it's my last KnitPicks ever since I don't shop from them anymore. (Yes, I'm one of the people who got screwed in the Credit Debacle of Christmas 2012. And no, I never got my letter. At this point, if I find some KP in a yard sale or stash sale, I might get it if I need it, but will not be buying directly from them, or from one of the shops who carry them. I will still shop at the LYS who carry them, just not KP yarns.)

And there's a few other WIPs and UFOs out there, but that's what I'm doing right now. As soon as I remember to buy a smaller needle, I'll be redoing SUs navy hat. I need to go down a needle or two and cast on less stitches. It looks weird and is too big as is. Also, will cast off sooner on the new one because the first one looks like a nipple at the top. I'm using Lamb's Pride Worsted in Forest Shadows for this one. I'm trying not to cast on anything else new right now, but I'm getting inspired about a blanket...

Last edited by maryam; 04-29-2013 at 12:31 PM. Reason: to add more yarn info, because I'm a dork that way.
maryam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maryam For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #237
Mopsie

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Female ones
Relationship Status:
Single

1 Highscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryam View Post
I am polyamorous when it comes to projects.... So right now I have the following knit projects going on.

The Mushroom Hat: I started with EZ's TriCornered hat from "a Knitter's Almanac" but I misread the pattern on the first one I did. So mine turned out weird. But I liked to the look, so I started a new one. After making more changes to it, of course. My sister and niece are arguing over who get's the 'shroom Hat so I might make two. I'm using this weird Louisa Harding yarn I found at Tuesday Morning.

A sock: Yarn Harlot's Basic Sock recipe, from "Knitting Rules". My first sock ever, knit on mystery sock yarn from the stash. No idea how it's gonna turn out. If it turns out well, I might make two.

A blue shawlette: again, made of mystery sock yarn from stash. No pattern, really. I'm just starting at the point, inserting lace panels as it gets big enough and then casting off when I run out yarn. The lace patterns are all selected from my stitch dictionary.

Random blanket sqares for Warm Up America. Doing them out of acrylic because that's what the lady I'm doing them for prefers. I think because it's easy care and these are going to Senior Care homes.

Dr Who Scarf. Self Explanatory! I'm using knit picks Palette, I think, but it's my last KnitPicks ever since I don't shop from them anymore. (Yes, I'm one of the people who got screwed in the Credit Debacle of Christmas 2012. And no, I never got my letter. At this point, if I find some KP in a yard sale or stash sale, I might get it if I need it, but will not be buying directly from them, or from one of the shops who carry them. I will still shop at the LYS who carry them, just not KP yarns.)

And there's a few other WIPs and UFOs out there, but that's what I'm doing right now. As soon as I remember to buy a smaller needle, I'll be redoing SUs navy hat. I need to go down a needle or two and cast on less stitches. It looks weird and is too big as is. Also, will cast off sooner on the new one because the first one looks like a nipple at the top. I'm using Lamb's Pride Worsted in Forest Shadows for this one. I'm trying not to cast on anything else new right now, but I'm getting inspired about a blanket...
Wow polyamorous doesn't seem to cover it all ... that's a lot of projects! I'm interested in the warm up America one - what is that? All the other ones sound really neat and I'd love to see pictures sometime!
The Following User Says Thank You to Mopsie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2013, 02:33 PM   #238
maryam

How Do You Identify?:
femme-ish
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
taken

maryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputation

HEE! Being Poly means it takes me forever to get stuff done! I'll post pics in my gallery here, maybe as I get them done. I should probably wake up my Ravelry again, and use their cataloging stuff. The thing is, my family is there, so I'm constrained what I post there. Maybe I need a second account. Rav frowns on that sort of thing, except in extreme cases, but I still might do it so I can let my freak flag fly more freely. (Holy Alliteration Batman!) But then I'd need to find more freaks to hang out with. (I stick with family friendly groups, over there.)

Warm Up America is a neat program where you can make blanket squares, and drop them off at designated collection points, and volunteers will seam them up and donate them in your community. A lot of Michael's and JoAnn's stores serve as drop off points. They always need volunteers to seam up, but I kind of suck at it, so I don't usually do that part! But I have helped package, deliver and make the cards that go with them. They have a website if you'd like to find a collection point in your area. Or you can set one up!

The website has directions and patterns to download, but honestly, as long as your squares are 7 by 9 inches, (technically a rectangle!) the patterns don't matter. I've been picking patterns that I'd like to learn out of my stitch dictionary and using those. It seems to work out okay! I just make sure I have a firm, garter stitch border to make seaming them up easier. Usually it's 3 rows of garter at the top and bottom, and then knit at least the first and last 3 stitches on each row. Depending on the stitch multiples needed for the pattern, the number at each end may change, so I just make sure there's at least 3 on each end.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #239
Mopsie

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Female ones
Relationship Status:
Single

1 Highscore

Maryam - my friend Amanda was told me about Ravelry ... I have been meaning to try it. Maybe we can get a group of people from BFP as a group on there.

And thanks for the info on Warm up America - I'm going to look for it at my Michaels.

You rock!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mopsie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2013, 04:25 PM   #240
maryam

How Do You Identify?:
femme-ish
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
taken

It'd be awesome to have a group there!

Tags
crocheting, hobbies, knitting