Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > RELATIONSHIPS, COMMUNITY, GROUPS > Butches, Femmes, And Trans Folks Of Color

Old 09-19-2010, 11:36 AM   #1
deeperstill

How Do You Identify?:
femme

deeperstill Has the BEST Reputationdeeperstill Has the BEST Reputationdeeperstill Has the BEST Reputationdeeperstill Has the BEST Reputationdeeperstill Has the BEST Reputationdeeperstill Has the BEST Reputationdeeperstill Has the BEST Reputationdeeperstill Has the BEST Reputationdeeperstill Has the BEST Reputationdeeperstill Has the BEST Reputationdeeperstill Has the BEST Reputation
Default When you turn out the lights...

Hi people. So, this thing happened yesterday and i would like to check in with folks to see what you think...

i was in a meeting of hets & queers of all kinds (regarding kinky things )
and in response to a question about the role of queer women of color a white dyke said: "when you turn out the lights it's all the same."
And everyone laughed in agreement and moved on.

Does anyone have a reaction they would care to share about this?

thank you
Old 09-19-2010, 12:06 PM   #2
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,565 Times in 3,960 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

as a white lesbian I find that comment insulting to POC. Its the white elitist concept that color wont matter if you overcome white prejudices by fucking in the dark. If they close their (white) eyes, color wont bother them. Arent POC lucky? (said sarcastically) things in the dark, dark things, can be secret dirty little things...

people with white asses need to know their shit shines in the dark if they open their mouths and say crap like this....

I have heard enough white people say things like that to make me burn everytime I hear it resaid. What is even more bothersome is that those who say it think this is their way of giving their stamp of White Approval. When in fact, it stamps THEM as being White Elitist....
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2010, 12:24 PM   #3
waxnrope
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 5/27/2011
Preferred Pronoun?:
hy ho, hy ho; he, she, it, whatever
Relationship Status:
Going slow ...

Thanked 2,958 Times in 953 Posts
waxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputation

*I*have nothing to say
waxnrope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to waxnrope For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
Ebon

How Do You Identify?:
With my souls eyes.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
lol

Thanked 11,145 Times in 2,755 Posts
Ebon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeperstill View Post
Hi people. So, this thing happened yesterday and i would like to check in with folks to see what you think...

and in response to a question about the role of queer women of color a white dyke said: "when you turn out the lights it's all the same."

thank you
"when you turn out the lights it's all the same."

LOL That's some racist ass shit right there.

Also what is this role that queer POC are supposed to have? Should I be doing something that I don't know about? How should I prep for my role? Am I getting paid for this role?

I'm a Soul Rebel

http://wannabereverend.wordpress.com/

Spirituality is not a belief system or ideology, it is the surrender of one's ego to the infinite wisdom and knowledge that is the universe.
Ebon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ebon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2010, 12:31 PM   #5
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

thank you
Hi, deeper.

I know, for some folks, color doesn't matter. Really and truly. Those folks, however, are far and few in between the rest of us.

Color absolutely matters, in every way, in the light or the dark.

I can see how perhaps that person meant it...in that, if you are fucking someone you are fucking them, regardless of their color. I suppose that's how they meant it. Not knowing them and not being there in the moment puts me at a disadvantage though.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2010, 12:32 PM   #6
Ebon

How Do You Identify?:
With my souls eyes.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
lol

Thanked 11,145 Times in 2,755 Posts
Ebon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
Hi, deeper.

I know, for some folks, color doesn't matter. Really and truly. Those folks, however, are far and few in between the rest of us.

I can see how perhaps that person meant it...in that, if you are fucking someone you are fucking them, regardless of their color. I suppose that's how they meant it. Not knowing them and not being there in the moment puts me at a disadvantage though.
Then the lights come on and OH NO!!! It's a POC run!!! wtf? lol

But you know what they say once you go black you never go back...

I'm a Soul Rebel

http://wannabereverend.wordpress.com/

Spirituality is not a belief system or ideology, it is the surrender of one's ego to the infinite wisdom and knowledge that is the universe.
Ebon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ebon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2010, 12:35 PM   #7
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organicbutch View Post
Then the lights come on and OH NO!!! It's a POC run!!! wtf? lol

But you know what they say once you go black you never go back...
I've heard that.

I'm misunderestimated.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2010, 12:38 PM   #8
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

It is a racist comment and I hope you said something to this "white dyke" to show that it is not ok to be offensive to POC? Especially in a group setting.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2010, 12:43 PM   #9
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

I agree with softness....PPL who say this crap need to grow up,this is 2010.

Organic and Gemme..Im sorry u had to read this crap anywhere, muchless hear.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2010, 12:44 PM   #10
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

I would disagree with you, Gemme, because while the white person who said this might have "meant" that color doesnt matter in the dark, that we are all the same in the dark, what I heard is that the darkness brings "up" what is "down" and "down" what is "up" and equalizes the standards of equality between races.

Said from the up position...people in the down position could feel very downed by these words.

Why?

I am not a POC but I am a plain woman and I have to tell you how insulting it is to me when someone says they are all the same in the dark when they refer to physical beauty. I am not an American Standard of Beauty Barbie Doll. I am indeed,a plain woman. I am not needing any "oh but your beauty is in the inside" comments. I know I am beautiful outside the realm of the American Standards of Beauty. Dont need stroking. But it pisses me off when people say plain women are as good as beautiful women in bed when the lights are off because this further defines me as not beautiful in its attempt to make me beautiful. It actually defeats its purpose.

Same with fucking a POC in the dark is the same as fucking a white woman in the Dark. It DOESNT equalize them. It further defines them as inequals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
Hi, deeper.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2010, 12:45 PM   #11
deeperstill

How Do You Identify?:
femme

deeperstill Has the BEST Reputationdeeperstill Has the BEST Reputationdeeperstill Has the BEST Reputationdeeperstill Has the BEST Reputationdeeperstill Has the BEST Reputationdeeperstill Has the BEST Reputationdeeperstill Has the BEST Reputationdeeperstill Has the BEST Reputationdeeperstill Has the BEST Reputationdeeperstill Has the BEST Reputationdeeperstill Has the BEST Reputation

Gemme--did you just change your location?! *giggles*

To all: thanks for your thoughts. i needed the check because i was, as usual, the only person of color in the room, and the only femme to boot, and prior to the comment i describe above, a different butch made a remark about queers not "passing" in society. I had to remind the room that i was a femme (surprised looks ALL AROUND) and that i usually pass (unless i try really hard NOT to). sigh.

Anyway, made me think maybe i was being overly sensitive....thanks for the reality check
Old 09-19-2010, 12:50 PM   #12
deeperstill

How Do You Identify?:
femme

*hangs head a bit*

No, Corkey, i did not.

The setting was a group of kinksters and i am a submissive and new to the group. The speaker is a Master...i am certain there is a way i *could* have done it...but truly, i was so astounded and then in further shock when the laughter came...i could not figure out how to get it done.
(maybe i'll cross post to bdsm thread...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
It is a racist comment and I hope you said something to this "white dyke" to show that it is not ok to be offensive to POC? Especially in a group setting.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:55 PM   #13
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Even a submissive has the right to say what is offensive, you are not bound to the person I'm assuming. Even if you were, you still have the right of safety in a group setting.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2010, 12:59 PM   #14
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Deeper...its a shame that when you struggle to have your reality confirmed, you feel you are being oversensitive. We as a rainbow community still struggle with inclusion. In theory its regarded but in reality its so very hard to practice as a group mentality. We will get there someday and it is people like you, who sit in the masses and speak out so that differences arent slid under the table and made invisible.

Aesop said its easy to be brave from a safe distance. I thank you for walking in our own ranks and dispelling notions about who we think we are. Unless we face ourselves, we will never know how great we truly are....
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2010, 01:03 PM   #15
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Quote:
Originally Posted by softness View Post
I would disagree with you, Gemme, because while the white person who said this might have "meant" that color doesnt matter in the dark, that we are all the same in the dark, what I heard is that the darkness brings "up" what is "down" and "down" what is "up" and equalizes the standards of equality between races.

Said from the up position...people in the down position could feel very downed by these words.

Why?

I am not a POC but I am a plain woman and I have to tell you how insulting it is to me when someone says they are all the same in the dark when they refer to physical beauty. I am not an American Standard of Beauty Barbie Doll. I am indeed,a plain woman. I am not needing any "oh but your beauty is in the inside" comments. I know I am beautiful outside the realm of the American Standards of Beauty. Dont need stroking. But it pisses me off when people say plain women are as good as beautiful women in bed when the lights are off because this further defines me as not beautiful in its attempt to make me beautiful. It actually defeats its purpose.

Same with fucking a POC in the dark is the same as fucking a white woman in the Dark. It DOESNT equalize them. It further defines them as inequals.
I can see your pov. It makes absolute sense.

I was just making the point that none of us were there, short of deeper and she was asking for our opinions (and since this was a new group for her), so we don't truly know what was in the speaker's heart. At the very least, it was incredibly insensitive.

Quote:

To all: thanks for your thoughts. i needed the check because i was, as usual, the only person of color in the room, and the only femme to boot, and prior to the comment i describe above, a different butch made a remark about queers not "passing" in society. I had to remind the room that i was a femme (surprised looks ALL AROUND) and that i usually pass (unless i try really hard NOT to). sigh.

Anyway, made me think maybe i was being overly sensitive....thanks for the reality check
*laughs*

I did. I'm in Austin, TX now.

It's hot.

It sounds like, to me, they are a pretty close knit group and so you, as a new member (and perhaps because of your submissive nature), they would not place the same weight in your words as that of the Master speaker.

Perhaps at another time you could approach the speaker and ask for clarification? I'm not in the scene and don't really know the nuances and the more discreet protocols so maybe another member could do so if you are not able to.

I'd like to think that this group is good for you and a place where you could feel welcomed and safe. Unfortunately, I'm not getting that feeling right now. Of course, it's only because of this thread and especially your last post. It feels to me as if they don't see you.

I genuinely hope I am wrong. I hope that that particular speaker, though a Master, doesn't wield the majority of the power in the group. I get a squinchy feeling when I think someone in that place, with potential power over others, saying things like that.

I'm misunderestimated.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2010, 01:05 PM   #16
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

do not hang your head.

You are learning how to walk amongst them and they caught you off guard. Now you can expect this to happen again, if not here, in another group setting. Now you have words to speak and support you needed. Indeed, you will only truly let yourself down if you do not speak out next time. I say this because it bothers you that you remained silent.

Furthermore,

A submissive is a person of incredible power and strength. Their gift of surrender honors who they serve. They are not doormats. Everyone should turn and listen to you because you are a submissive POC. Dont let others speak for you. Speak loudly for yourself.

Being a Master doesnt mean they are God. Not to you. If your words were not to be spoken and listened to, why were you/submissive/POC invited?

Quote:
*hangs head a bit*

No, Corkey, i did not.

The setting was a group of kinksters and i am a submissive and new to the group. The speaker is a Master...i am certain there is a way i *could* have done it...but truly, i was so astounded and then in further shock when the laughter came...i could not figure out how to get it done.
(maybe i'll cross post to bdsm thread...)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2010, 01:28 PM   #17
waxnrope
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 5/27/2011
Preferred Pronoun?:
hy ho, hy ho; he, she, it, whatever
Relationship Status:
Going slow ...

Thanked 2,958 Times in 953 Posts
waxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Deeper,
These are the types of things said, IMHO and experience, by white "liberals" (as opposed to "progressive", or more informed thinkers). The often seen *satisfied* expression on their faces is a reflection of their (delusional) *good deed*, and their interior pat on the back.

I find approaching people who think these ways problematic SOMETIMES. Other times, sitting down with them privately and telling them that what they said, and I am sure to point out that they meant well (I think in a misguided sense, they do), what they said is a problem, and explain why.

There is the funny, yet very damning utterance by Organic. WHEN the lights are off begs the question of WHEN they are on. Moreover, the statement falls into that faulty homogeneity of "same"ness. And, we are not all the same.

Corkey is damn right. Being a submissive does not mean that you have to be silent while being publicly humiliated about your race. And, since I don't run with the herd in the life, I don't think that you should take it by your Top/Owner either unless you've negotiated this ahead of time. This is simply My opinion ...
waxnrope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to waxnrope For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2010, 08:42 PM   #18
deeperstill

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Default not a doormat

Corkey, softness, Waxnrope, et al:
Thank you for all of the thoughts, it is very appreciated.
(no, i am not in service to that person).
Please know that i am well aware that subs are not doormats and that i have the "right" to call people on their sh*t. However, given the dynamics, this was more complicated to do in practice yesterday, at least to me it was so....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
Even a submissive has the right to say what is offensive, you are not bound to the person I'm assuming. Even if you were, you still have the right of safety in a group setting.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:47 PM   #19
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

I just hope you know that not all Masters behave this way. That was highly uncalled for.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:20 PM   #20
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

noted...and understood. We do not expect you to do more than what you did. There is no shame being passed over you...in fact, I am proud of you for coming here and asking for clarification and support...

Quote:
However, given the dynamics, this was more complicated to do in practice yesterday, at least to me it was so....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post: