Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > ART, POETRY, WRITING > Art

Old 08-05-2010, 03:21 PM   #1
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

Thanked 1,617 Times in 633 Posts
Cyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST Reputation
Default Architecture, Landscape, and Structural Design

Couldn't find a thread, let me know if there is one already!

A place to post or discuss architecture, green design, structural art, design history, etc., or just things you like. (Or dislike )
Cyclopea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cyclopea For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

Cyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST Reputation

This was really interesting:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=128953596
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cyclopea For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2010, 03:29 PM   #3
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

This is fricken' amazing...

http://www.ted.com/talks/rachel_arms...rs_itself.html
Old 08-05-2010, 03:37 PM   #4
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,384 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

I love the lines of the teeny homes and how they use space. I do enjoy having more space for myself personally and an lucky to be able to that, but as art I really enjoyed looking at these, especially the concrete ones.

Though one could not possibly tell from my house now, I love Utilitarianism and the Bauhaus.

I love this dog house!
Old 08-05-2010, 03:52 PM   #5
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Overlooks seaside in England
Old 08-05-2010, 03:53 PM   #6
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Old 08-05-2010, 03:55 PM   #7
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Staircase in a store in Buenos Aires
Old 08-05-2010, 03:56 PM   #8
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Also in Buenos Aires.

Today I love this, tomorrow, it may be Gothic.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:37 PM   #9
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,908 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

Big fan of cathedrals and visited a few great ones over in Germany. I prefer high Gothic cathedrals next to Romanesque. What I love is wandering around the cathedrals trying to find builder's marks carved into the pillers, looking at built in guild symbols etc. I remember the first time I saw the cathedral in Köln, though. One of the most awe inspiring moments of my life. I was coming out of the u-bahn with a group of other Canadians. Suddenly we look up...and up...and up. It really was reaching for the heavens. Probably the most spectacular building I've ever set eyes on.

Köln

Freiburg interior

Aachen/Aix-la-Chapelle interior

And castles:

Neuschwanstein - Was living in Schwangau and Füssen for a little bit and so only a short distance away from the castle. Really beautiful in spring/winter. Though, honestly, I think the mountains are far more spectacular.

Heidelberg
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2010, 10:24 PM   #10
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:
love wise guys of the avian world

Thanked 3,294 Times in 1,301 Posts
violaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

!! cathedrals !! i get blown away thinking about over a century of work building and generations - several. this thread is visually going to be stunning!

" . . .Rietveld’s career proceeded uninterrupted until 1943. He then was subsequently barred from practising as an architect, due to his refusal to join the Nazi-controlled Kulturkammer. After the war, the country and Rietveld gradually returned to normality, and Rietveld continued his work until he died at an age of 76.

Among his numerous furniture models, The Zig Zag chair, The Red and Blue Chair, the Schelling and Military series remain as eternal design icons. Gerrit Rietveld’s designs are to be found in the most important museum collections over the world.. . "

http://www.modernity.se/Designer/Ger...-Rietveld.aspx

Last edited by violaine; 08-05-2010 at 10:36 PM.
violaine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to violaine For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2010, 10:36 PM   #11
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,892 Times in 9,889 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Man, I love architectural stuff!

I came across this recently and found it very interesting.
I have a deep interest in preservation of cultural artifacts, architecture, anything of historical value ...

Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2010, 11:09 PM   #12
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

This link is to one of my favorite threads on the internet: People from all over the world post pictures of "Public Housing / Tenements / Commie Blocks / Projects / Housing Estates". I can't say I "like" most of the architecture in the thread, in fact much of it is horrifying. But grouping these architectural images by function reveals much -viscerally and aestetically- about the humanity behind that function. These aren't "pleasing" revelations, but they are stunning.
I've done an atrocious job of explaining my attraction to this thread but here it is if you wanna check it out:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=247127

(Long story short: we don't have to "like" design for it to be revealing and compelling). (Blah Blah Blah).
Old 08-06-2010, 09:02 AM   #13
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Gaudi architecture in Spain!

Creepy but cool!

Cyclopea, I love the idea of tenements and commie block housing, will see what I can find later.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:21 PM   #14
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

http://ostel.eu/

Check this hotel out. It is in Berlin and is designed in the style of the DDR, Communist East Germany.

Stark, utilitarian and funky!
Old 08-06-2010, 02:26 PM   #15
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Berlin apartments
Old 08-06-2010, 02:28 PM   #16
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Bauhaus apartments in Tel Aviv
Old 08-06-2010, 02:49 PM   #17
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalipstic View Post

Berlin apartments
I had a plan, a couple of years ago, to attend Alice Salomon University on a Fulbright - and do a pre-stay run to check out a place to live in Berlin by staying a weekend at this place ~> Louisa's Place <~
before commiting to the whole process of being in Berlin for two years - but that plan fell to the side... I read up a bit on some of the history of the building and what they have done to preserve the historical value of the property.

http://www.louisas-place.de/

Here's a link to Lisa Komisar's info page on where she stayed during her travels (Louisa's Place) and some info about that experience and history of local historical sites near the hotel, etc.

http://www.travellady.com/Issues/Sep...sculptures.htm
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2010, 02:57 PM   #18
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALovelyKiss View Post
I had a plan, a couple of years ago, to attend Alice Salomon University on a Fulbright - and do a pre-stay run to check out a place to live in Berlin by staying a weekend at this place ~> Louisa's Place <~
before commiting to the whole process of being in Berlin for two years - but that plan fell to the side... I read up a bit on some of the history of the building and what they have done to preserve the historical value of the property.

http://www.louisas-place.de/

Here's a link to Lisa Komisar's info page on where she stayed during her travels (Louisa's Place) and some info about that experience and history of local historical sites near the hotel, etc.

http://www.travellady.com/Issues/Sep...sculptures.htm
Very cool! I would love to visit one day. We are thinking of going to Amsterdam next year and taking side trips to Germany.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:05 PM   #19
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,908 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

I was just reminded of an article I read a while back about this family that decided to dedicate themselves to sustainable living, and built their house into a hill side. I'd seen people do this for sheds or mine entrances in eastern Canada and Germany, but never saw anyone build their house this way (other than in LotR ).

Their website: http://www.simondale.net/house/index.htm

On that note, my cousin is actually building house with his wife and two young sons way out in the north. A log house with only straw as insolation. We'll see how it goes and may post some pics once they're done. I've always wanted to try building something more in the style of viking longhouses, like up at L'anse aux Meadows (viking ruins in Newfoundland) here in Canada.

Edit: just wanted to say that I'm really loving this thread! Great pics from everyone!
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2010, 03:09 PM   #20
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderD_503 View Post
I was just reminded of an article I read a while back about this family that decided to dedicate themselves to sustainable living, and built their house into a hill side. I'd seen people do this for sheds or mine entrances in eastern Canada and Germany, but never saw anyone build their house this way (other than in LotR ).

Their website: http://www.simondale.net/house/index.htm

On that note, my cousin is actually building house with his wife and two young sons way out in the north. A log house with only straw as insolation. We'll see how it goes and may post some pics once they're done. I've always wanted to try building something more in the style of viking longhouses, like up at L'anse aux Meadows (viking ruins in Newfoundland) here in Canada.

Edit: just wanted to say that I'm really loving this thread! Great pics from everyone!
This is amazing ED!!!! Thanks for posting this and the vast wealth of knowledge that you and Apoc and Cyclo-, and Belle offer to this forum thread!!!

You all rock!!!!

~D.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post: