Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Religion, Spirituality, Mysticism

Old 06-12-2010, 03:19 PM   #61
oblivia
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Married, treasured, and adored

Thanked 1,430 Times in 359 Posts
oblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputation

June 12, 2010
Tricycle Daily Dharma
Meditation is what you make it

For the first two thousand years of its existence, Buddhism was mostly confined to monasteries with strict rules, timetables, and hierarchies. In contrast, Zen in America today finds the majority of its followers in the lay world, where most of us have families, jobs, and homes. Our zendos are places to visit, perhaps daily, but more likely once or twice a week: refuges, perhaps, from the “real world” of money and responsibility.

Along with the “layification” of Zen has come a sharp distinction, for most of us, between meditation and the rest of life. While the monks of old lived and breathed, day in day out, year in year out, in an atmosphere of stillness and contemplation— their entire lives were one unbroken meditation!—we modern practitioners stop what we’re doing when we sit and restart our everyday lives when the bell signals that time’s up. The result of this is an apparent dichotomy: either I’m meditating (on my zafu, often in the zendo, sometimes at home), or I’m not meditating (the rest of the time).

What’s lost in this either/or distinction is the idea that meditation can be anything I choose to make it. Sure, I can define meditation rather narrowly as the time spent on my cushion. But if I do so, I’m elevating sitting over everyday awareness and thus diluting the possibilities for all those other quotidian opportunities for mindfulness.

- Barry Evans, "I Like it... but is it Meditation?" (Summer 2009)
oblivia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oblivia For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2010, 08:33 AM   #62
Lady_Wu

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Queer Stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
M'Lady
Relationship Status:
given up looking *sigh*

Lady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST Reputation
Default Accesibility

"As long as the sun rises
and your heart beats
Tao is at hand" ---Deng Ming Tao

Why do we look for Tao in mysterious and obscure places? Why must we sit in meditation for hours? As long as we breath, Tao is here within us. We might only be dimly aware of this, but that dim awareness does not change Tao. Being in nature will help; meditation will help:both help bring us to a better awareness of Tao. Even if we do neither of these things, Tao is right at hand. Do we feel, do we sense? Then we have direct access to Tao. Don't delay: feel for it, sense it! Tao is breath; Tao is now!
Lady_Wu
Old 06-13-2010, 02:33 PM   #63
oblivia
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:

oblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputation

"Although the world's religions may differ fundamentally from one other in their metaphysical views, when it comes to their teachings on the actual practice of ethics, there is great convergence. All the faith traditions emphasize a virtuous way of being, the purification of the mind from negative thoughts and impulses, the doing of good deeds, and living a meaningful life." ~ Dalai Lama

I have the Dalai Lama friended on facebook. It amuses me to type that out. But this lovely gem was on his wall today.

"June 13, 2010
Tricycle Daily Dharma
Stand on your own two feet

When it's time for a child to start walking, a mother needs to let her child walk. She needs to let the child lose his or her balance, fall down, and then find balance once again. Alone, the child needs to get up and stand on his or her own two feet. Although children need protection, we need to have confidence in their potential to flourish. We don’t want to hold them captive by our own fears and doubts—this creates the unhealthy dependence we have been talking about. Letting children immerse themselves in a challenging situation or obstacle for a while gives the child confidence. It gives the mother confidence, too. It’s one of the early steps a mother takes in letting the child become a citizen of the world."

- Dzigar Kongtrul, "Old Relationships, New Possibilities" (Winter 2008)

Wow, this one was exactly what I needed to hear today - the message in the article in its entirety (linked above). Wow. So powerful. I will be thinking on Lenchak.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oblivia For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2010, 12:04 AM   #64
oblivia
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:

June 15, 2010
Tricycle Daily Dharma
Watch Your Words

Years ago, when I began traveling the Buddha’s path, I was surprised by the emphasis placed on the practice of skillful speech. The Buddha considered the way we communicate with each other to be so important that he taught the practice of skillful speech alongside such lofty teachings as skillful view, thinking, action, and mindfulness as a pillar of the Ennobling Eightfold Way.

The Buddha saw that we are always engaged in relationships, starting with that most significant relationship: the one with ourselves. On the cushion we notice how we speak to ourselves—sometimes with compassion, sometimes with judgment or impatience. Our words are a powerful medium with which we can bring happiness or cause suffering.

- Allan Lokos, "Skillful Speech" (Winter 2008)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to oblivia For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2010, 12:18 PM   #65
Lady_Wu

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Queer Stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
M'Lady
Relationship Status:
given up looking *sigh*

Lady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST Reputation
Exclamation RE: Daode Jing, Verse 18

when people are rid of convention of how
to love, act and cherish
then they will naturally hold their families dear

rid of knowledge, they would be wise

Lady_Wu
Old 06-16-2010, 06:46 PM   #66
oblivia
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:

June 16, 2010
Tricycle Daily Dharma
Bad Meditation? No Such Thing

The mind can do wonderful and unexpected things. Meditators who are having a difficult time achieving a peaceful state of mind sometimes start thinking, “Here we go again, another hour of frustration.” But often something strange happens; although they are anticipating failure, they reach a very peaceful meditative state. My first meditation teacher told me that there is no such thing as a bad meditation. He was right. During the difficult meditations you build up your strength, which creates meditation for peace.

- Ajahn Brahm, "Stepping Towards Enlightenment," Fall 2006
Old 06-17-2010, 06:45 AM   #67
Lady_Wu

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Queer Stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
M'Lady
Relationship Status:
given up looking *sigh*

Default Re: The Daily H.H.Dalai Lama

All forms of violence, esp. war, are totally unacceptable as a means to settle disputes between and among nations, groups, and persons.
(H.H.The Dalai Lama)

Old 06-17-2010, 06:53 AM   #68
Lady_Wu

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Queer Stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
M'Lady
Relationship Status:
given up looking *sigh*

Exclamation Re:the Daode Jing, Verse 20

stop thinking and end your your problems
what difference between yes and no
what difference between success and failure
must you value what others value
avoid what others avoid
what others avoid
how ridiculous
(Laozi)

Old 06-18-2010, 05:16 PM   #69
Lady_Wu

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Queer Stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
M'Lady
Relationship Status:
given up looking *sigh*

Smile Re: The Daily H.H.Dalai Lama

Our ancestors viewed the earth as rich and bountiful, which it is. Many people in the past also saw the earth as inexhaustibly sustainable, which we know is the case only if we care for it. It is not difficult to forgive damage done in ignorance. Today,however,we have access to more information,and it is essential that we reexamine ethically what we have inherited,what we are responsible for,and what we will pass on to coming generations.
(H.H.The Dalai Lama)

Just a comment unrelated to His Holiness' remarks but related to His Holiness. My one real wish to have happen before I die is to be in the presence of His Holiness, to hear Him give a Dharma talk or to teach upon a text. Many Tibetans see Him as Chenrezig (Avolakitsvara), The God of Compassion. I do, also. If He were to instruct me to stand in front of a speeding train, I would do so without hesitation. I would be convinced that would be some reason,unbeknownst to me that I should do so.
Lady_Wu

Last edited by Lady_Wu; 06-18-2010 at 05:18 PM. Reason: forgot to put in an apostrophe
Lady_Wu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lady_Wu For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2010, 05:21 PM   #70
JakeTulane
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Mr. Prickly Porcupine
Preferred Pronoun?:
Butch - Hy, Hym, Hys
Relationship Status:
She has softened My quills

Thanked 5,264 Times in 2,732 Posts
JakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_Wu View Post
Our ancestors viewed the earth as rich and bountiful, which it is. Many people in the past also saw the earth as inexhaustibly sustainable, which we know is the case only if we care for it. It is not difficult to forgive damage done in ignorance. Today,however,we have access to more information,and it is essential that we reexamine ethically what we have inherited,what we are responsible for,and what we will pass on to coming generations.
(H.H.The Dalai Lama)

Just a comment unrelated to His Holiness' remarks but related to His Holiness. My one real wish to have happen before I die is to be in the presence of His Holiness, to hear Him give a Dharma talk or to teach upon a text. Many Tibetans see Him as Chenrezig (Avolakitsvara), The God of Compassion. I do, also. If He were to instruct me to stand in front of a speeding train, I would do so without hesitation. I would be convinced that would be some reason,unbeknownst to me that I should do so.
Lady_Wu

Lady_Wu,

Thank you for this post. Again so timely and so very true. Generations and generations... have treated the Earth is though it was a human "garbage can".. and in that thinking.. thought the Earth would sustain us.. and turn a blind eye. Mother Nature is tired. The Earth is tired. We as it's inhabitants have a responsibility to take care of it. .. and to take care of the other inhabitants that can not always take care of themselves, let alone their surroundings.

On the "meeting" note. I had a chance to meet His Holiness when I lived out West. Alas, My work schedule did not afford Me the chance. However, I am with you on wanting that meeting.. it is on My "list".

Peaceful evening to you.

Namaste,
Jake

JakeTulane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:40 PM   #71
Lady_Wu

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Queer Stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
M'Lady
Relationship Status:
given up looking *sigh*

Default Re: The Daily Daode Jing=Tao Te Ching

the Tao never acts without force,
yet there is nothing it can not do.

if rulers were to follow the way of the Tao
then all of creation would willingly follow their example

if selfish desires were to arise in me after my transformation
i would erase them with the power of the Uncarved Block
(Laozi=Lao-Tzu)

Old 06-18-2010, 07:48 PM   #72
Lady_Wu

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Queer Stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
M'Lady
Relationship Status:
given up looking *sigh*

Arrow Re: the Uncarved Block

I want to explore the concept of the Uncarved Block by means of another small quote from the Daode Jing:
daily knowledge, daily gain
daily Tao, daily loss
(Laozi)
The word translated as "Uncarved Block" in Chinese is P'u or P'o. Ir refers to the state of original simplicity, orginal being-as-it-is. The more knowledge I have about a tree, for, instance, the less I am able to experience the tree-as-it-is. My knowledge is wrapped around me until all I can see about the tree are my concepts of "leaves" "green" "bark" "brown", etc. All I can hear about the tree is"blowing in the wind" "branches rustling" "leaves falling" etc. I can not see or hear a tree in front of me as it is. The concept of P'u is very important in the Daode Jing. Returning to a state where one can experience the original state of the world, become like a babe is the aim of the Daode Jing. I am born into the world able to experience the world-as-it-is. The more I grow, the more I learn about the world. The greater and denser becomes the cloak of knowledge, or words,even, that obscures this world that I once knew. The less I am able to do without this cloak, this "action" about action (wu wei). The aim of Taoism is to unwrap this cloak, to become like a babe, to erase the carvings upon the block of wood. To, ultimately, learn how to be and do nothing.
Lady_Wu
This will put into my blog. For those of you who are interested:
http://namelessgate-returntothewuchi.blogspot.com
I THINK this will get you to the blog. So sorry about my typos last time. If it does NOT work, please PM me to let me know. In some ways, the computer is an "Uncarved Block" to me.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:33 PM   #73
Lady_Wu

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Queer Stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
M'Lady
Relationship Status:
given up looking *sigh*

Exclamation Re: The Daily H.H.Dalai Lama

If one's life is simple, contentment has to come. Simplicity is extremely important for happiness. Having few desires, being content with you have is very vital: satisfaction with just enough food, clothing, and shelter to protect you from the elements. And finally there is an intense delight in abandoning faulty states of mind and in cultivating helpful ones in meditation.
(H.H.The Dalai Lama)
Old 06-21-2010, 06:35 PM   #74
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_Wu View Post
If one's life is simple, contentment has to come. Simplicity is extremely important for happiness. Having few desires, being content with you have is very vital: satisfaction with just enough food, clothing, and shelter to protect you from the elements. And finally there is an intense delight in abandoning faulty states of mind and in cultivating helpful ones in meditation.
(H.H.The Dalai Lama)

This is so very true in this day and age. The simplier the life, the happier that people are.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2010, 06:42 PM   #75
Lady_Wu

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Queer Stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
M'Lady
Relationship Status:
given up looking *sigh*

Default Re: The Daily Daode Jing=Tao Te Ching

when a superior person hears of the Tao
she diligently puts it into practice
when an average person hears of the Tao
she believes half of it and doubts the other half
when a foolish person hears of the Tao
she laughs aloud at the very idea
if she didn't laugh
it wouldn't be the Tao
(Laozi)
Old 06-21-2010, 06:47 PM   #76
oblivia
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:

June 21, 2010
Tricycle Daily Dharma
One Size Doesn't Fit All

Nowadays, having become a teacher myself, I can see clearly that no practice can fit everyone. Generally I would say most practices suit sixty percent of the people who encounter them and try them out for a certain period of time. So I have become what could be called a pluralistic liberal in terms of Buddhist practice.

- Martine Batchelor, "The Question" Summer 2008
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oblivia For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2010, 03:46 PM   #77
Lady_Wu

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Queer Stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
M'Lady
Relationship Status:
given up looking *sigh*

Default Re: The Daily H.H,The Dalai Lama

From one point of view we can say we have human bodies and are practicing the Buddha's teaching and are therefore much better than insects. But we can also say that insects are innocent and free from guile, where as we often lie and misrepresent ourselves in devious ways in order to misrepresent or better ourselves. From this perspective, we are much worse than insects.
(H.H.The Dalai Lama)

Traditionally in Buddhist teachings, to be human is the pinnacle of development on this world at least. Humans can become bodhisattvas and enlightened beings, where after one leaves the hell-realms, if one has had to go there, one moves up from insects to fish and birds, then to animals, unto one reaches the level of human being again. (I think I've got this correct, in a shortened fashion.) But I've often though in the fashion of H.H., and even wondered if, after achieving enlightenment, one might not become an insect or fish or bird or animal. They do not have the karmic consequences with which to deal that humans do. Just a though. But I agree with H.H.
Lady_Wu
Old 06-23-2010, 03:57 PM   #78
Lady_Wu

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Queer Stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
M'Lady
Relationship Status:
given up looking *sigh*

Default Re: the daily Daode Jing

the Tao gave birth to One
One gave birth to Two
Two gave birth to Three
Three gave birth to all of creation

all things carry Yin
yet embrace Yang
they blend to blend their life's breaths
in order to produce harmony.
(Laozi)

I have something to say about this but don't the time right now. I'll try to get back to you on it.
Also, Linus, I have a question for you concerning The Tibetan Book of the Dead.
Namaste,
Lady_Wu
Old 06-24-2010, 08:37 AM   #79
Lady_Wu

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Queer Stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
M'Lady
Relationship Status:
given up looking *sigh*

Exclamation Re: The Daily H.H The Dalai Lama

When a problem first arises, try to be humble and maintain a sincere attitude,
and be concerned that the outcome is fair.
(H.H. The Dalai Lama)
Old 06-24-2010, 08:45 AM   #80
Lady_Wu

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Queer Stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
M'Lady
Relationship Status:
given up looking *sigh*

Default Re: the daily Daode Jing

that which offers no resistance
overcomes the hardest substances
that which offers no resistance
can enter where there is no space

few in the world can comprehend
the teaching without words
or understand the value of non-action
(Laozi)