Ciaran

How Do You Identify?:
Altocalciphilic
Preferred Pronoun?:
Papa Smurf
Relationship Status:
Curmudgeonous spinster

Thanked 3,656 Times in 602 Posts
Ciaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST Reputation

I live in West Hampstead, a part of London with a large gay presence and it's very common to see gay couples, primarily women, hold hands here.

Personally, I strongly dislike holding hands. It's not to do with potentially attracting attention or homophobic abuse (because of the way I present, that possibility is always there even if, in reality, it doesn't happen that often). In fact, I'm very happy with other personal displays of affection i.e. more than happy to hug in public and, where appropriate, kiss etc and, more generally, to share personal space in public.

However, for whatever reason, hand holding has always been a big no-no for me. I remember a partner a decade or so ago who involuntarily took my hand when we were walking. I got very uncomfortable and, after a minute or so of suffering (which seemed much longer), I had to release my hand and tell her so.

I'm not sure I've held hands in public since and don't intend to again. Not to do with fear over homophobia - just my personal taste.
Ciaran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ciaran For This Useful Post: