Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > GENDER AND IDENTITY > Other Sexualities And Identities

Old 02-03-2014, 08:47 PM   #101
Livepoetry66

How Do You Identify?:
Bi
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ms
Relationship Status:
Single

Livepoetry66 is on a distinguished road
Default I prefer to keep it simple.

I identify as Bi. I have been in long term monogamous relationships with females, males, butches, ftm's and mtf's. I have come to the conclusion that people are people. To me we are all walking, talking bags of hormones subject to the stimulation life hands us from birth to death. I could go into the nature/nurture debate, genetic debate, social/peer circle, media nutrition/lifestyle and etc but why? I don't want drama nor do I want debate. I just want someone who gets me, someone I get. Not about sex for me. I want a good fit like a comfortable pair of slippers, I want to be able to laugh with someone, eat in front of someone..just be myself. All the other things will fall into place regardless of how they might identify, including trust. If there is chemistry..we'll feel it. If we have an intellectual connection..we'll talk about it.

Perhaps one could say I want it all, yes! if all means happiness, not just sex (strap on or bio) If someone I am dating does not trust me when I say I am happy with that person then it is not my issue. Maybe there is past hurt and trauma with someone whom could not be trusted in a committed relationship. To me being Bi is just as natural as someone who is gay or straight, there was no preference or choosing, it is just me and it always has been.
Livepoetry66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Livepoetry66 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2014, 07:05 PM   #102
D Phryxus

How Do You Identify?:
bi femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Feminine
Relationship Status:
Poly-married

D Phryxus Has the BEST ReputationD Phryxus Has the BEST ReputationD Phryxus Has the BEST ReputationD Phryxus Has the BEST ReputationD Phryxus Has the BEST ReputationD Phryxus Has the BEST ReputationD Phryxus Has the BEST ReputationD Phryxus Has the BEST ReputationD Phryxus Has the BEST ReputationD Phryxus Has the BEST ReputationD Phryxus Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

I identify as Bisexual. By this I mean that I am attracted to both men and women.

I think I have always been this way but growing up in a very hetero household I was always more comfortable flirting with and dating guys. I simply didn't know how to 1. tell if another woman was interest in girls or 2. how to figure out if she might be interested in me.
In fact, I still have issues with this.
I wasn't actually able to act on my interest in women until after I was married, ironically. My husband helped me out a lot, having been in poly relationships with bi women before. You could say he is my best wingman haha.

I can genuinely say I enjoy being in a romantic relationship with the few women I have dated as much as I enjoy the romance between my husband and I . I also equally enjoy sex with women as much as with men. Each person is different of course. Some are better than others, but that's part of the experience.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:11 AM   #103
Daniela

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 5,241 Times in 1,243 Posts
Daniela Has the BEST ReputationDaniela Has the BEST ReputationDaniela Has the BEST ReputationDaniela Has the BEST ReputationDaniela Has the BEST ReputationDaniela Has the BEST ReputationDaniela Has the BEST ReputationDaniela Has the BEST ReputationDaniela Has the BEST ReputationDaniela Has the BEST ReputationDaniela Has the BEST Reputation

I've just recently started thinking of myself as bisexual but I'm currently married to a man (bio-male). I'm definitely not looking to start anything with a woman because I'm completely against cheating. But I admit that I definitely have an attraction to very masculine-of-center women. Looking back, I realize that I've always been attracted to both men and "masculine" women, although I've never been attracted to anyone that presents in a traditionally feminine way.
Daniela is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Daniela For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2015, 12:57 AM   #104
Tuff Stuff

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 1,318 Times in 506 Posts
Tuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST Reputation

I don't know.I do know that I have these mad crazy affairs with bio-man every 15 years apart.I had my first sexual experience with a man at age 11,around that time I also had my first sexual encounter with a woman.I have never been divided who I should have a relationship with,its always been with women.I guess my clit doesn't descriminate.Never been married,never had children.

Hey,why am I telling you this? (i must be high)

Brings a song to mind...Bluebeard by The Cocteau Twins

Did i mention I like my men with beards..oh yes
Tuff Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:15 AM   #105
Shystonefem

How Do You Identify?:
Stone Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Shy for President

Thanked 3,678 Times in 898 Posts
Shystonefem Has the BEST ReputationShystonefem Has the BEST ReputationShystonefem Has the BEST ReputationShystonefem Has the BEST ReputationShystonefem Has the BEST ReputationShystonefem Has the BEST ReputationShystonefem Has the BEST ReputationShystonefem Has the BEST ReputationShystonefem Has the BEST ReputationShystonefem Has the BEST ReputationShystonefem Has the BEST Reputation

To me, bo-sexual is a person with a free spirit that doesn't acknowledge physical boundaries. Maybe someone on a higher spiritual level? Maybe not.

Personally, I would not date a bi-sexual only because I have seen, so many times, that some use their bi-sexuality as permission to cheat. I am not saying everyone does that but I am not willing to put my heart on the line (or my body) with someone who could use the bi-sexual label to cheat.

Also, I can't even imagine a bi-sexual butch. Lol... Although they may be out there.

Just my thoughts and, please, understand that I am, in no way, putting anyone's lifestyle down. To each hys or her own.
Shystonefem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shystonefem For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2015, 08:51 AM   #106
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Red face thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shystonefem View Post

Also, I can't even imagine a bi-sexual butch. Lol... Although they may be out there

You don't have to, imagine it that is. Bi sexual butch peoples exist just as much as bi sexual Femmes, Transguys, Men, Women etc. They're not immune to it nor does it make them an oddity...

I feel that for people it's hard to imagine something because they're afraid of the truth, or want to keep people in certain pegs because it doesn't disrupt one's comfort level...

Like you said, to each their own!
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2015, 06:49 AM   #107
puddin'
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
a genderqueer nuisance
Preferred Pronoun?:
bitchboi

Thanked 7,973 Times in 2,344 Posts
puddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

"let's marvin gaye and get it on..."
Old 09-11-2015, 08:51 AM   #108
Tuff Stuff

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 1,318 Times in 506 Posts
Tuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST Reputation
Default Oh look,i'm back

*snort*

I love that song..
Tuff Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tuff Stuff For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2015, 10:22 PM   #109
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,928 Times in 9,908 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livepoetry66 View Post
I identify as Bi. I have been in long term monogamous relationships with females, males, butches, ftm's and mtf's. I have come to the conclusion that people are people. To me we are all walking, talking bags of hormones subject to the stimulation life hands us from birth to death. I could go into the nature/nurture debate, genetic debate, social/peer circle, media nutrition/lifestyle and etc but why? I don't want drama nor do I want debate. I just want someone who gets me, someone I get. Not about sex for me. I want a good fit like a comfortable pair of slippers, I want to be able to laugh with someone, eat in front of someone..just be myself. All the other things will fall into place regardless of how they might identify, including trust. If there is chemistry..we'll feel it. If we have an intellectual connection..we'll talk about it.

Perhaps one could say I want it all, yes! if all means happiness, not just sex (strap on or bio) If someone I am dating does not trust me when I say I am happy with that person then it is not my issue. Maybe there is past hurt and trauma with someone whom could not be trusted in a committed relationship. To me being Bi is just as natural as someone who is gay or straight, there was no preference or choosing, it is just me and it always has been.
I just want to say that your idea of keeping it simple, is simply beautiful. The way you describe your identity, as an bisexual, is such a breath of fresh air.

I have partnered with those who identify on the male side of the identity spectrum. And, each time I've either dated or partnered with those particular individuals, it was because I too like to keep it simple. Feeling entirely comfortable with someone is a really big deal in my world. When you said that you wanted the relationship to feel like a good fitting pair of slippers, that you wanted someone who totally gets you and vice versa, then I definitely resonate deeply with that point of view because my sexual identity is not up for debate, nor is theirs. I've never been public about it before but bisexuality is a part of my identity.

What matters most to me is how well we fit together (full stop).

Thanks for painting an articulate picture about what bisexuality means to you.

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2015, 11:20 PM   #110
AishasWrath

How Do You Identify?:
It's complicated/stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
they/them
Relationship Status:
godspouse

AishasWrath is on a distinguished road

It means that gender isn't as much of a factor in whether I'm attracted to someone else, compared to other things about them.
AishasWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AishasWrath For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2015, 12:50 AM   #111
storyspinner70

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Babygirl
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

storyspinner70 Has the BEST Reputationstoryspinner70 Has the BEST Reputationstoryspinner70 Has the BEST Reputationstoryspinner70 Has the BEST Reputationstoryspinner70 Has the BEST Reputationstoryspinner70 Has the BEST Reputationstoryspinner70 Has the BEST Reputationstoryspinner70 Has the BEST Reputationstoryspinner70 Has the BEST Reputationstoryspinner70 Has the BEST Reputationstoryspinner70 Has the BEST Reputation

This is something that is VERY near and dear to me, and something I've dealt with all my life. I am bi. Probably actually pan, because I can't see myself not being attracted to someone because they are transitioning or do not identify as a certain gender. I am currently rabidly in love with a woman, and do not see that changing at any point in the future.

So, what does being bi mean to me? It means I have to listen to people spout the most ridiculous nonsense I've ever heard. It means people feel that I owe them an explanation as to why I have the NERVE to be attracted to more than one sex. It means I have to sit here and read about how I'm just confused, how I'm really straight or I'm really lez but just haven't got the guts yet to make a decision. It means I have to deal with constant harassment and abuse from the LGBT community that should have my back more than anyone else. It means I have to listen to men cackle and ask for a threesome while I listen to lesbians talk about how they could NEVER date a bisexual like we are the worst people there could possibly be on the face of the earth. You have no idea how much I've cried in my life because of shit like that, and how I'm near tears now because I remember how worthless that casual dismissal used to make me feel. Like, "Who cares what kind of person you are? One word makes you nothing to me."

It means I probably shouldn't have stepped foot on this thread, because I get enraged at injustice and people who feel the need to tell me that because my heart and mind and soul are open to anyone who is worthy of my time and love that there is somehow something wrong with how I choose to live my life. And no, I'm not aiming this entirely at people on this site or this thread, but some of you...some of you are here spouting exactly the misunderstanding and deliberate, willful discrimination I deal with every single day of my life.

This is what being bisexual means to me. My heart and life and arms are open for anyone who is smart enough, sexy enough, funny enough, and clever enough to catch my attention. I am not only attracted to butch women, like they're some kind of replacement for the men I "really" want. In fact, the majority of the women I loved have been femme. And no, I'm not secretly lesbian and trying to hide it, either. In fact, I'm pretty much running about 50/50 with the gender of people I have loved in my life.

My butch is everything to me. She is not a replacement for a man in my life. She is not an experiment. She is not someone to keep me occupied until a man comes along. She is, and will always be, my world. And no, it's not that I have zero interest in men anymore. I'm not miraculously gay now. But what I am is completely in love and fiercely dedicated to the love of my life - my butch.

And yes, I get infuriated at the fact people dare to make assumptions about me and what I feel and what makes me happy. If all goes like I want it to, I will never have another lover, and I'll be just fine with that. I won't miss a man or start pining after them. I've seen plenty I thought were gorgeous or sexy in the three years I've been with my butch, and I've never once been dissatisfied with my life or my lover.

That is what being bi means to me: a life of love, happiness, discrimination, pain and anger.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:51 AM   #112
AishasWrath

How Do You Identify?:
It's complicated/stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
they/them
Relationship Status:
godspouse

AishasWrath is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Lady_Snow View Post
You don't have to, imagine it that is. Bi sexual butch peoples exist just as much as bi sexual Femmes, Transguys, Men, Women etc. They're not immune to it nor does it make them an oddity...

I feel that for people it's hard to imagine something because they're afraid of the truth, or want to keep people in certain pegs because it doesn't disrupt one's comfort level...

Like you said, to each their own!
This is absolutely true (and I am a bisexual butch.) I can't imagine how anyone can't imagine a bisexual butch. How does one preclude the other?

Getting a little shirty here--I got fed up with being pressured to feminize myself for some nameless schroedinger's boyfriend a long, long time ago. Schroedinger can go keep his boyfriend, I'm not into people who want me for something I'm not. It didn't mean I was required to give up all attraction to men.

(I'll admit, being stone butch with guys is...very difficult most of the time because they tend to not understand, it bothers a lot of them, they tend to wheedle and get upset and need me to prove in a million different ways that I mean what I say and I'm not damaged/I don't hate them.)
AishasWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AishasWrath For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2016, 05:11 AM   #113
Beast Lee

How Do You Identify?:
Visualization
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, but she turns me on
Relationship Status:
Single

Beast Lee is on a distinguished road
Default Hope this helps

I met a guy once who said " I think bisexual people are just confused, no offense." I honestly replied " I'm not offended, I think that straight and gay people are missing out on half the fun." Both sexes have amazing qualities that the other is lacking (except for me).
Beast Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Beast Lee For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2017, 11:17 AM   #114
Bel

How Do You Identify?:
Queer/Bi/Femme-ish
Preferred Pronoun?:
she & they
Relationship Status:
Cursed

Bel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST Reputation
Default Bisexuality....it evolves just like us!

Since the 80s and popularized in the 90s, bisexuality has been defined by various bisexual communities as "attraction to more than one gender." This is the definition that has endured. Robyn Ochs, a bisexual activist, has also expanded on that to include "not necessarily at the same time, not necessarily in the same way, and not necessarily to the same degree.” Which is wonderful!

Like all the other letters in LGBT/QUILTBAG, the B is a community term. There are many ways to be bisexual (bi/pan/omni/polysexual/ace, etc) but the foundation of our orientation moves bilaterally along the sexuality spectrum without settling on a specific point of that spectrum. Just like the L in LGBT does not signify what type of lesbian one is (femme? butch?), the B does not specify what type of bisexual one is.

It's a wonderfully open category.

If anyone wants to discuss more about this, I'm game.

I've been bi my whole life, and experienced "attraction to more than one gender" for decades without ever having been with a AMAB person (which eventually happened.) Because it's about attraction to more than one gender, it doesn't mean that bisexual people attach gender to biology—bisexual spaces that I've been to over the years have consistently practiced this distinction. And those that don't quickly learn....

It's about attraction and potential, not necessarily sex.

And hello to all, this is my first post after visiting on-and-mostly off since 2012!
Bel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bel For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2017, 10:54 PM   #115
indigo

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme-like
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

indigo Has the BEST Reputationindigo Has the BEST Reputationindigo Has the BEST Reputationindigo Has the BEST Reputationindigo Has the BEST Reputationindigo Has the BEST Reputationindigo Has the BEST Reputationindigo Has the BEST Reputationindigo Has the BEST Reputationindigo Has the BEST Reputationindigo Has the BEST Reputation
Default If just I knew what it means...

"Bisexual", it's the expression that I currently use when coming out to my friends and family, which is a step by step process. Still, I can't yet wrap my mind around why i am not really confortable with this term.
indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to indigo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2017, 01:38 PM   #116
Bel

How Do You Identify?:
Queer/Bi/Femme-ish
Preferred Pronoun?:
she & they
Relationship Status:
Cursed

Bel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo View Post
"Bisexual", it's the expression that I currently use when coming out to my friends and family, which is a step by step process. Still, I can't yet wrap my mind around why i am not really confortable with this term.
Hi Indigo!
Well, we're all socialized to have zero pride regarding the term 'bisexual'. All we mostly hear outside of bi circles, is negative and damaging. As long as you are accepting who you are on your own terms, that's more important than any label, of course. But labels are only as useful as the community they make/gather...so I hope you can find some sources and spaces of bisexual solidarity that make you feel great about what bi consciousness stands for today!

And I hear you on the step-by-step process!
Bel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bel For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2017, 06:33 PM   #117
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,565 Times in 3,960 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

I am a bio female femme who is married to a bio male who identifies as a woman privately. He (the pronoun he prefers at the moment) is a submissive femme at home. And other places. (But doesnt present 24/7 everywhere)

I qualify as bisexual. So does he as he enjoys all genders like I do. We have an open agreement that we can have other indulgences (sex) in our lives if we chose and would consider a poly marriage if the right person was found.

I have only been attracted to butch women. I have dated trans men too. And lived asexually for awhile. I just dont have an attraction to other femme women except my husband Go figure this all out!!

So all that sounds very complicated. But its not. Or it shouldnt be. I am getting really tired of the many many labels I have to "qualify" myself under. (I cant even buy a pride flag now without it adding race (brown and black) to it, when its suppose to be about orientation, not race. I am gypsy. Where is my stripe in our flag?)
Old 06-15-2017, 11:51 PM   #118
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanked 21,722 Times in 5,081 Posts
nycfem has disabled reputation

Soft*Silver, this post was reported as bordering on racism. Embracing an intersectional view of oppression is not something everyone believes in, but please if you are going to make a point that you want separate space for pure LGBT pride, don't drag another traditionally oppressed identity that is not one of your own under the bus. Please try and keep in mind how someone of the identity you singled out as not wanting on your pride flag might feel reading it. We want everyone on this site to feel 100% welcome and protected. We don't always realize how our words might come across, and I simply ask that for future posts, you take this into consideration. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soft*Silver View Post
I am getting really tired of the many many labels I have to "qualify" myself under. (I cant even buy a pride flag now without it adding race (brown and black) to it, when its suppose to be about orientation, not race. I am gypsy. Where is my stripe in our flag?)

How do I... ?
Check out the Members Helping Members thread:
http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/foru...embers+Helping
nycfem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2017, 06:54 PM   #119
indigo

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme-like
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

indigo Has the BEST Reputationindigo Has the BEST Reputationindigo Has the BEST Reputationindigo Has the BEST Reputationindigo Has the BEST Reputationindigo Has the BEST Reputationindigo Has the BEST Reputationindigo Has the BEST Reputationindigo Has the BEST Reputationindigo Has the BEST Reputationindigo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bel View Post
Hi Indigo!
Well, we're all socialized to have zero pride regarding the term 'bisexual'. All we mostly hear outside of bi circles, is negative and damaging. As long as you are accepting who you are on your own terms, that's more important than any label, of course. But labels are only as useful as the community they make/gather...so I hope you can find some sources and spaces of bisexual solidarity that make you feel great about what bi consciousness stands for today!

And I hear you on the step-by-step process!
But why is that so? I can't yet draw on broad experiences as I am like "in the making" with this part of my identity. I have lesbian friends who have absolutely no problem with bisexual women/ people - and also, why should they? Yet one of them told me that for some this is problematic. For me this term somehow fits because I had relationships with men and this didn't feel wrong but at the same time it was not "it", so to speak, and yeah I was always into women as far as I can remember, at least since my teenage-hood. Then, doesn't the term bi-sexual indicate the dichotomy of sexes - a notion that I find questionable in many ways.
indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to indigo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2017, 08:32 PM   #120
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,815 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo View Post
But why is that so? I can't yet draw on broad experiences as I am like "in the making" with this part of my identity. I have lesbian friends who have absolutely no problem with bisexual women/ people - and also, why should they? Yet one of them told me that for some this is problematic. For me this term somehow fits because I had relationships with men and this didn't feel wrong but at the same time it was not "it", so to speak, and yeah I was always into women as far as I can remember, at least since my teenage-hood. Then, doesn't the term bi-sexual indicate the dichotomy of sexes - a notion that I find questionable in many ways.
I am only one lesbian, so take my perspective as non-representative of the entire lesbian community!

For me, I started my journey as a straight woman, not in touch with my true sexual orientation.

Looking back, as a kid, it was always there but I didn't know what "it" was. I played house with my little friends but the femme that I am was always the husband or dad. I played doctor with the little girls and got dragged home by my mother after literally being naked in the back of an abandoned car (at about 8 yrs old) with my girlfriend, feeling each other...in her back yard. I saw my first butch at 16 and my stomach dropped out but my straight friends whispered she was bad news but I was fascinated.

I kissed my first boy at 13 and he was my boyfriend. I had sex at 16 with my next boyfriend but wasn't crazy about it. I was with him until my next boyfriend that I married at 18 to escape my parents. At 21 I had sex with my female best friend but truly panicked. At some level, I knew what it meant for me. I would have to cross the homosexual bridge and I knew that I would lose my (tenuous) family. I had my first baby at 19 and was pregnant again at 20.

This was the 70's when swinging was a big deal, sexuality was more out of the closet and I knew that everyone in my life (except parents) would think that it was "cool" for me to say I was bisexual.

For a long time, it felt right to me but then, I had to acknowledge to myself, that it was a safe way to keep one foot in the heterosexual camp and one foot in the homosexual camp because I was so scared.

I wasn't trying to fool anyone except maybe myself. I had relationships with men and women for years after my teenage, doomed-to-end marriage ended.

This went on until fell I head over heels fell in love with my best friend and she with me. We both were dating each other and dating men until we realized that we really were gay.

It was terrifying for both of us. I feared losing my children and I did lose my parents (that I never really had anyway) and my two brothers were not about to make any kind of stand in support of me so I really lost them, too.

My first girl-friend still had attraction for and to men. It scared me. Maybe it is internalized homophobia, to worry that heterosexual privilege would be a bigger draw than to live life as a lesbian but I don't think that many would disagree that heterosexuality is in many ways a more accepted life than a homosexual life.

It is the reality of our world. It is the fear that I felt back then. I can't speak for other lesbians but perhaps they have some of the same fears of losing a love for the same reason. I place no blame, it is what it is. We all have our fears.

Once I made my peace with who I really was and then met my long-term ex, I never did look back. I could see that I truly was a lesbian and that it fit me like a glove.

I don't hate, fear or dislike bisexual people any more than I do trans folk.

My journey is mine, as is yours.

None of us know where we will wind up in when we start that journey in the beginning.

I do believe that sexuality is a continuum. I do believe that some of us are bisexual in the same way some of us are lesbian, gay, trans or genderqueer. I don't think any of us are any better or worse than the other. By the same token, nor do I want anyone to feel that being a lesbian is "less than" or something to fear or to be afraid that someone would think that they were a lesbian.

Sometimes, I feel badly when I hear or read that folks want to emphasize that they are not lesbians. It makes me think that they feel it is something not ok to be. Maybe we all want to not be misidentified because it was a hard journey to arrive where we are. I can accept that. We are all human.

We all have to look in in the mirror at some point and own who we really are.

Our sexuality is our own.

People that live in fear have their own journey. I am glad that I am not afraid anymore.

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post: