Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 01-21-2014, 09:43 PM   #1
Novelafemme
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 8,925 Times in 1,834 Posts
Novelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge-Smile View Post
Hi Medusa,
If you are having trouble sleeping, be sure you aren't mineral deficient. That makes a huge difference, believe it or not. Valerian root is okay in my experience, but it didn't really make any appreciable difference in my insomnia.

By the way, it can be addictive. Please take care with the amount you use as well as how often.

A few years ago, I was lucky to have a kinesiologist work on me. He really honed right in on my problem areas just like a laser beam. I found his subsequent nutritional recommendations as well as his suggested vitamin and mineral regimen to be superlative.

Of course, like anything, you need to really look into the background of your practitioners as well as their experience level. YMMV, but if you have someone reputable in your area, it is a great thing to do for yourself.

Great thread!
I am not sure where you got your information on Valerian Root being addictive, but as a former Health & Beauty Aids buyer for our local health food co-operative, this is news to me.

Valerian root is appropriate for those suffering from mild anxiety and sleeplessness related to menopause/hormonal fluctuations/depression, etc.

That being said, if you are on prescription meds for any of the above, there very well may be contraindicational information that you may want to look in to.

If you drink alcoholic beverages on a regular basis, Valerian can impact your liver/kidney function in a negative manner. When I was having daily panic attacks and taking large doses at night to help me sleep, I noticed a yellowing of my iris' which is an indicator that one's liver/kidneys are being compromised.

As with *any* supplement/additive, when taken for long periods of time, when suddenly discontinued, side-effects can be quite noticeable. Titrating is always the best method, unless otherwise directed by a doctor.
Novelafemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Novelafemme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2014, 09:20 AM   #2
Smiling

How Do You Identify?:
with a distinct flair

Thanked 4,383 Times in 1,009 Posts
Smiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST Reputation

Hi Novelafemme,

I hope this will help answer your question. Just some basic stuff I quickly dug up, but similar to what I have come across in reading...

Would an addiction event be a very rare occurrence? Yes, of course; but anytime you are introducing a foreign substance into the body; natural or otherwise- especially one that works on chemical responses in the brain in a similar fashion as many pharmaceutical drugs - I think it is a good idea to just at least be aware of all the potential problems it may create.

Mentioning that Valerian can be (not "is;" small, but important distinction) addictive was just meant as a heads up and not to alarm anyone.

See below:

Scientists aren't sure how valerian works, but they believe it increases the amount of a chemical called gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA) in the brain. GABA helps regulate nerve cells and has a calming effect on anxiety. Drugs such as alprazolam (Xanax) and diazepam (Valium) also work by increasing the amount of GABA in the brain. Researchers think valerian may have a similar, but weaker effect.
Source: Valerian | University of Maryland Medical Center http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed...#ixzz2r8jPkk19
University of Maryland Medical Center
Follow us: @UMMC on Twitter | MedCenter on Facebook

Source: http://csuvets.colostate.edu/pain/Ar...ian%20Root.pdf

Valerian has an affinity for GABA receptors, likely due to the relatively high GABA content in valerian itself. The amount of GABA present in valerian extract is sufficient to induce release of GABA in synaptosomes and may also inhibit GABA reuptake.

Valerian is used for insomnia and other disorders. Other believed mechanisms of action in valerian include inhibition of the catabolism of GABA by valerenolic acid and acetylvalerenolic acid and affinity for the 5-HTA receptor by another constituent of valerian, called hydroxy pinoresinol.

Valerian side effects may include addiction similar to that which occurs with drugs, reports Medline Plus. Valerian withdrawal has been noted in chronic users: confusion, delirium and rapid heartbeat. Another side effect of valerian use is a drug "hangover," reports Medline Plus.

Valerian has the potential for negative side effects on the heart and liver, according to Aetna Intelihealth. Liver toxicity has occurred with the use of herbal preparations that contain valerian, reports Medline Plus. Also, valerian may interact with anti-seizure medications.
Source: http://survivingantidepressants.org/...valerian-root/

[I could not locate the original Medline article containing these quotes, so I used excerpts from a discussion board; not the best source, but I'm not writing a paper, so bear with me]

Hitting submit before I lose this post again. My iPad keeps crashing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelafemme View Post
I am not sure where you got your information on Valerian Root being addictive, but as a former Health & Beauty Aids buyer for our local health food co-operative, this is news to me.

Valerian root is appropriate for those suffering from mild anxiety and sleeplessness related to menopause/hormonal fluctuations/depression, etc.

That being said, if you are on prescription meds for any of the above, there very well may be contraindicational information that you may want to look in to.

If you drink alcoholic beverages on a regular basis, Valerian can impact your liver/kidney function in a negative manner. When I was having daily panic attacks and taking large doses at night to help me sleep, I noticed a yellowing of my iris' which is an indicator that one's liver/kidneys are being compromised.

As with *any* supplement/additive, when taken for long periods of time, when suddenly discontinued, side-effects can be quite noticeable. Titrating is always the best method, unless otherwise directed by a doctor.

Last edited by Smiling; 01-22-2014 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Screen cap was incorrectly sourced. I corrected it.
Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Smiling For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2014, 10:03 AM   #3
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,892 Times in 5,770 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Hi, Ms. Holistic Health Counselor (easygoingfemme)! I appreciate you being here.

What is the dosing one should take for the apple cider vinegar? Medusa mentioned one tablespoon two times per day, is that the recommended dose?

Miss Virgin Bride, I see you "thanking" around here and know you have lots to add. Tell us your favorite supplements/herbs for health!

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:39 AM   #4
easygoingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Lil' Miss Sassy Pants
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her

Thanked 14,173 Times in 3,023 Posts
easygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

Dapper: For a morning elixer drink (warm water, raw honey, lemon, acv) I usually recommend A pint of water with 1-2 Tbsp cider vinegar (two is fine, but can be too intense for some) with 1 tsp honey, 1-2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice. You can also add in some cayenne for extra kick.

I also find that, for those who enjoy the flavor, a little bit added to your water during the day can be really nice, and extra good for you.

So if you have low tolerance for the flavor, 1 tbsp a day, twice a day for best results.

Some people I work with who really don't like the flavor will do a shot glass of just the acv, honey, lemon, and a little water, and then chase it with a tall glass of warm water.
easygoingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to easygoingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2014, 10:45 AM   #5
Novelafemme
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Novelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST Reputation

Thank you for sharing your information, Huge-Smile (I love your name BTW)!

While I am a big advocate of herbal medicine and Eastern medicine in general, since there is so little up to date research on the long term effects of many herbs, I am always a bit cautious. Especially when mixing them with prescription drugs.

Here at the University of Arizona we have the Center For Integrative Medicine, run by the one and only Dr. Andrew Weil. He implemented the program for reasons such as we are discussing; to dispel rumors and reinforce the positive components of holistic medicine and health. The program has really taken off!

I see him on campus every now and again. Homey needs to slim down a bit
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Novelafemme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2014, 12:11 PM   #6
Julie

How Do You Identify?:
Angel * Femme * Lesbian * Girl * Woman * Slut * Bitch *
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
No longer a Virgin Bride to Dreamer ~ May 17th, 2014

Thanked 18,159 Times in 3,632 Posts
Julie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Here at the University of Arizona we have the Center For Integrative Medicine, run by the one and only Dr. Andrew Weil. He implemented the program for reasons such as we are discussing; to dispel rumors and reinforce the positive components of holistic medicine and health. The program has really taken off!

I see him on campus every now and again. Homey needs to slim down a bit
Wow.. I came in here to discuss homeopathic and alternatives medicines and the last statement I read was rather fat phobic. I wonder how the esteemed Dr. Andrew Weil would feel about this? I've had the honor of dining with him at a night of fine raw food's with mutual friends who are his colleagues. Oh, and homey to describe such a fine human being. Just lost on this whole last statement.

Feeling a bit disgusted

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps4d9fb6c0.jpg

I Love You ~ I Love Us
May 17, 2014
Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #7
Novelafemme
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

I, too, have met with and spent time with Dr. Weil, and I know he has a wonderful sense of humor. As do I. He even joked with me about the time I caught him eating an entire pack of SmartDogs in the Tucson Co-Op parking lot.

No fat-phobia-ness intended and I'm sad you chose to take only that away from my post. Have a wonderful day, Julie!
Old 01-22-2014, 12:22 PM   #8
Julie

How Do You Identify?:
Angel * Femme * Lesbian * Girl * Woman * Slut * Bitch *
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
No longer a Virgin Bride to Dreamer ~ May 17th, 2014

Thanked 18,159 Times in 3,632 Posts
Julie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
I, too, have met with and spent time with Dr. Weil, and I know he has a wonderful sense of humor. As do I. He even joked with me about the time I caught him eating an entire pack of SmartDogs in the Tucson Co-Op parking lot.

No fat-phobia-ness intended and I'm sad you chose to take only that away from my post. Have a wonderful day, Julie!
It is one thing to joke privately with your friend or the one in which the comment was intended. But to publicly speak about this fine gentleman in the way you did, was completely dishonorable and yes, quite fat-phobic. I wonder how he would feel knowing you made such public statements about him? All one has to do is google his name and the thread will be pulled up with your fat phobic comments. Call it what you will Novella, but often, without our even realizing we are doing it, we show our true-selves.

Julie

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps4d9fb6c0.jpg

I Love You ~ I Love Us
May 17, 2014
Julie is offline   Reply With Quote