Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 10-07-2014, 09:16 AM   #1421
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,958 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

There is no immediate effect to any State except for those 11 previously mentioned.

But.....that is NOT bad news for Florida. Your AG put all lawsuits on hold pending the outcome of the SCOTUS decision, and now your ban (which was overturned at the Federal level) can be taken by the State to the Federal appeals court for the final say.

Should they concur and overturn the ban, it would be pointless (but possible) for them to appeal to the SCOTUS, who just basically said they are ok with marriage equality. Should the State win, the decision will be appealed to the SCOTUS, who will probably take up the question.

Yes Keri i am still giddy, about as giddy as i was devastated by the news that prop 8 passed

with so much help from the Mormons and others. I grieved for a long time, and I'll admit I believe just a little bit in Karma

***added***

I just read another article which said that your AG, Pam Biondi, has been asked to stop her lawsuits in the wake of the recent SCOTUS action. You know those Republicans however, they are up for re-election soon and have to put on a good show.
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2014, 10:20 AM   #1422
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Reminder

Just because marriage is becoming widely available, do not fool yourselves into thinking you automatically will receive protection from discrimination; Pennsylvannia comes to mind when i make this warning. Since marriage equality was implemented there, there have been several cases of discrimination which is legal. There is a bill giving protections to LGBT peoples going through their system currently that will bring those protections.

In some states we won the war, but are losing the battle. It is ok to marry, but you can be fired from your job or denied housing for doing so, and it is legal. We have another fight looming, hell it's here looking us in the face...the right for everyone to be protected from those who will descriminate because of whom we love.

In the meantime, be careful out there if you have no protections...having the right to marry is a wonderful thing, but having a job and a roof over your head is also important.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2014, 03:04 PM   #1423
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,703 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation
Default My home state... Virginia

Same-sex couples marry as the unions become legal in Virginia

http://www.timesdispatch.com/u-s-sup...57520ef04.html

LGBT rights in Virginia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Virginia
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2014, 03:38 PM   #1424
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums
Default Oh happy day!

Today the Ninth District Federal Court of appeals ruled that marriage bans in Nevada and Idaho were indeed unconstitutional!

This ruling also paves the way for Montana, Arizona and Alaska which are part of the Ninth District.

Wee hawwwwwww!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2014, 09:04 AM   #1425
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTinkerbelly View Post
Today the Ninth District Federal Court of appeals ruled that marriage bans in Nevada and Idaho were indeed unconstitutional!

This ruling also paves the way for Montana, Arizona and Alaska which are part of the Ninth District.

Wee hawwwwwww!
These States are on hold for now, as Idaho requested a temporary stay from the SCOTUS and Kennedy granted it. There will be a review by the full panel if the stay is to last beyond this weekend.

I am taking a break from reading stories and posting for the remainder of the day...there is so much anger and rage out there from the haters that i am becoming a bit depressed.

But, I'll be back! Lol
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2014, 10:29 AM   #1426
clay
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch (Silver Fox) Dom Daddi
Preferred Pronoun?:
50 Shades of Clay Darker & Deeper
Relationship Status:
married to my forever

Thanked 31,688 Times in 7,716 Posts
clay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
These States are on hold for now, as Idaho requested a temporary stay from the SCOTUS and Kennedy granted it. There will be a review by the full panel if the stay is to last beyond this weekend.

I am taking a break from reading stories and posting for the remainder of the day...there is so much anger and rage out there from the haters that i am becoming a bit depressed.

But, I'll be back! Lol
Thank you, Ms. Tinkerbelly for keeping this thread and each of us very well informed and updated. I so appreciate YOU!!...
Old 10-08-2014, 01:49 PM   #1427
SleepyButch

How Do You Identify?:
Dude
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him
Relationship Status:
Taken

Thanked 11,244 Times in 2,753 Posts
SleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

But, I'll be back! Lol

I haven't been reading but I'm sure there are many hateful things circulating out there. I'm currently in Oklahoma and never thought in my lifetime that gay marriage would be legal here. I think of this morning, people were already getting married. I sure hope our republican governor is having a lot of anxiety at this time.. she has it coming for sure!

I will probably never get married in this state anyway. I'll save that for when I can go to Vegas and get married by Elvis.

You cannot embrace those things that will not embrace you back.
SleepyButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SleepyButch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2014, 02:18 PM   #1428
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyButch View Post
I haven't been reading but I'm sure there are many hateful things circulating out there. I'm currently in Oklahoma and never thought in my lifetime that gay marriage would be legal here. I think of this morning, people were already getting married. I sure hope our republican governor is having a lot of anxiety at this time.. she has it coming for sure!

I will probably never get married in this state anyway. I'll save that for when I can go to Vegas and get married by Elvis.
Well your wish is granted! Judge Kennedy is allowing marriages to proceed in Nevada as only Idaho asked for a stay!

Let Elvis commence marrying the people! Lol
The Following User Says Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2014, 02:36 PM   #1429
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Well your wish is granted! Judge Kennedy is allowing marriages to proceed in Nevada as only Idaho asked for a stay!

Let Elvis commence marrying the people! Lol
After a day of confusion, Nevada same-sex couples will be allowed to marry as soon as the appeals Judge declares the ban null and void!

All opponents in the State have dropped their appeals.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:30 PM   #1430
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums
Default Idaho

The stay was lifted by the SCOTUS and same-sex marriage has begun in Idaho.

Yay Idaho!!

I was in the hospital all of yesterday and today, so apologies for getting this posted late.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2014, 08:55 PM   #1431
iamkeri1

How Do You Identify?:
femme woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,944 Times in 584 Posts
iamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputation

Thanks for posting this update Ms T. Hope you are OK and you were not in the hospital for anything too serious.

Smooches,
Keri
iamkeri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iamkeri1 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2014, 09:50 AM   #1432
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums
Default Alaska

The Alaska ban on same-sex marriage fell yesterday, and marriages will begin today.

Whoop whoop!

Soon the need for this thread will be over, and i for one am eternally grateful, as i never thought i would see this in my lifetime.

BUT...as was pointed out earlier, the fight ramps up full force for discrimination protection for our brothers and sisters. Folks, if we can get married but still lose our homes or jobs for being who we are, what have we really gained?
Old 10-13-2014, 09:54 AM   #1433
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums
Default North Carolina

Same-sex marriage has begun today in North Carolina!

Yayyyyyyyyyy!
Old 10-13-2014, 02:40 PM   #1434
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
The stay was lifted by the SCOTUS and same-sex marriage has begun in Idaho.

Yay Idaho!!

I was in the hospital all of yesterday and today, so apologies for getting this posted late.
It looks like i got a bit ahead of myself! Marriages will begin in Idaho on Wednesday, as the Ninth Circuit Court finally lifted their stay today.

My bad.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:02 PM   #1435
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums

I'm not sure whether to laugh, or give a WTF.

The Texas Attorney General had this to say, and i paraphrase:

"Our same-sex marriage ban deters out of wedlock childbirth"

This is the same man who said during the recent Texas Governor's debate:

" I am against same-sex marriage because my wife and i have been married 33 years."

Where do they find these people?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2014, 11:45 AM   #1436
iamkeri1

How Do You Identify?:
femme woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

1 Highscore

iamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputation

Alaska's 1st known gay marriage in Arctic town

Associated Press
MARK THIESSEN5 hrs ago

© Mark Thiessen/AP Photo Supporters of same-sex marriage hold signs during a news conference on Oct. 10, 2014, outside the federal courthouse in Anchorage, Alaska. ANCHORAGE, Alaska — A remote outpost on Alaska's Arctic Coast where people are used to doing their own thing has applied that independent streak to gay marriage.
A magistrate in Barrow, Alaska — the nation's northernmost community, and one that cannot be reached by road — has performed what is believed to be the state's first gay marriage ceremony days ahead of schedule after a federal judge struck down the state's ban. Couples lined up statewide Monday to apply for marriage licenses, beginning the clock on a mandatory three-day wait until ceremonies could be held.
For Kristine Hilderbrand, 30, and Sarah Ellis, 34, it wasn't about being first when they sought and received a waiver to the three-day wait from Magistrate Mary Treiber.
Monday just fit their schedules better.
After completing their marriage license Monday morning, they began to check on available dates for a courthouse ceremony. They then tried to mesh those with their schedules and those of families and friends.
Because Monday was Columbus Day, a federal holiday, members of Ellis' family on the East Coast were able to call into the court's sophisticated teleconference system used for lawyers and defendants spread out over the far-flung judicial district when Treiber conducted the marriage ceremony late Monday afternoon.
Hilderbrand's sister was her maid-of-honor, and her father and nephew also attended. She said Ellis' brother from the Boston area used his thickest New England accent to crack up the room on the speaker phone when he said, "It's wicked awesome that you guys got married."
Alaska helped touch off a national debate 15 years ago with a ban on same-sex unions.
U.S. District Judge Timothy Burgess ruled Sunday that the ban violated the due process and equal protection guarantees of the U.S. Constitution. His ruling came over the objection of gay-marriage opponents who say states should decide the issue, not courts.
Burgess on Tuesday denied the state's request for a stay. Alaska officials plan to appeal his Sunday ruling to the 9th Circuit Court, and could also seek a stay from the appeals court, even though it has allowed gay marriages to go forward in other states within its jurisdiction.
Cori Mills, a spokeswoman for the Alaska attorney general's office, said in an email to The Associated Press on Tuesday that the state has not made a final decision yet whether to ask the 9th Circuit for the stay.
Gay couples married outside Alaska or in ceremonies within the state that didn't carry legal standing were among those seeking licenses.
Barrow offered a unusual small-town setting for Hilderbrand and Ellis' wedding. Barrow has about 4,600 people and is 725 miles north of Anchorage. Many residents lead a subsistence lifestyle, and the landing of three bowhead whales last week provided the passionate discussion, not gay marriage or politics.
"I think the scene is different up here," said Hilderbrand, a third-generation Alaskan who was born in Barrow. Residents accept people for who they are, she said.
"The fact that we're in a relationship together and have been for the last six years in this town, people have just been very accepting and it is just what it is," Hilderbrand said. "It's been such a non-issue here for so long that we were really more focused on getting married and getting to spend the rest of our lives together. We really weren't concerned about all the politics."
What did matter to her, though, was being able to marry in Alaska.
"I didn't want to go someplace else and be married and then come home and have it be a meaningless piece of paper," she said.
Treiber followed this wedding by marrying another lesbian couple at the courthouse. Hilderbrand and Ellis stayed to celebrate the marriage of their friends.
Kelly Cahoon, 28, and Bernice Oyagak, 27, petitioned Treiber for a waiver because they were leaving Barrow for Anchorage on Monday night, and they didn't want to marry in the state's largest city, the Alaska Dispatch News reported.
"It was really kind of special to be able to share the day with them," Hilderbrand said.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:59 AM   #1437
iamkeri1

How Do You Identify?:
femme woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

1 Highscore

I'm not a big Bible person, but I wondered about the sign in the post above (on the right, which shows a bible reference) . I thought it might be an "anti same sex marriage" quote. Its not.
Smooches,
Keri

1 Corinthians 13 New International Version (NIV)
13 If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b] but do not have love, I gain nothing.
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:03 PM   #1438
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkeri1 View Post
I'm not a big Bible person, but I wondered about the sign in the post above (on the right, which shows a bible reference) . I thought it might be an "anti same sex marriage" quote. Its not.
Smooches,
Keri

1 Corinthians 13 New International Version (NIV)
13 If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the
gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b] but do not have love, I gain nothing.
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily

angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I

talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
Indeed, the greatest of these is love.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:15 PM   #1439
SleepyButch

How Do You Identify?:
Dude
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him
Relationship Status:
Taken

Thanked 11,244 Times in 2,753 Posts
SleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I'm not sure whether to laugh, or give a WTF.

The Texas Attorney General had this to say, and i paraphrase:

"Our same-sex marriage ban deters out of wedlock childbirth"

This is the same man who said during the recent Texas Governor's debate:

" I am against same-sex marriage because my wife and i have been married 33 years."

Where do they find these people?

I keep trying to get women pregnant out of wedlock and it's not working! I never thought to blame the Texas same-sex marriage ban...

If they lift that ban though... watch out world!

Texas legislature never cease to amaze me.

You cannot embrace those things that will not embrace you back.
SleepyButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SleepyButch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2014, 10:08 AM   #1440
JoSchmooze

How Do You Identify?:
Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, hym, mister or "sir", like I get called by strangers!

Thanked 10,989 Times in 1,627 Posts
JoSchmooze Has the BEST ReputationJoSchmooze Has the BEST ReputationJoSchmooze Has the BEST ReputationJoSchmooze Has the BEST ReputationJoSchmooze Has the BEST ReputationJoSchmooze Has the BEST ReputationJoSchmooze Has the BEST ReputationJoSchmooze Has the BEST ReputationJoSchmooze Has the BEST ReputationJoSchmooze Has the BEST ReputationJoSchmooze Has the BEST Reputation

It was just announced on NBC that a federal judge
has ruled Arizona"s ban on same sex marriage to be illegal...

And here I just answered the poll of the month
"Single, not dating, not having casual sex vote for me".....

JoSchmooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoSchmooze For This Useful Post: